• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I will say all I've been doing since beating Yakuza 0 is dailies in XIV and that's been making me grow weary. Nothing I would purchase would cut it either, everything felt like such a slog. BotW invigorated gaming for me. I haven't decided if I'll pick up Mario yet (the style just doesn't jive with me) but we'll see.

Darth Finky Spunky

Banned for using alt accounts
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you overestimate graphics a bit, yes it would be great to have SMO in 1080p but I wouldn't want to trade it for the 60fps the game has, take the Crash Collection for example, runs at an even higher res on the PS4 Pro but is locked at 30fps, why? Because some developers value graphical fidelity over fluidity. As long as Nintendo stays true to their approach, aiming for 60fps whenever possible, I don't think they will be in trouble, cause even the new shiny PS5 that may or may not launch within the next two years will not feature a lot of 60fps exclusives. Because we want to see even better graphics and those will likely not be achievable with more than 30fps as the line gets thinner and thinner the more we progress.

I consider these kind of graphics to be good enough:

2017103012020900-8aedu5s5a.jpg

Especially at 60fps. And no, you won't be able to truly finish Odyssey within a single weekend, as you haven't seen most of the game before gathering at least 500 moons.
A "Good Enough" mind set will take you no where.

macapala

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Switch is great. My favourite feature is sleep mode. As long as you have a game started you can literally wake the Switch up and be playing, exactly where you left off, in less than 5 seconds. On top of that, you can play where ever you want, you're not tied to the TV/couch.

Last edited:

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Switch cured it until I filled in all of my free time with Odyssey up until I 100%'d it. I'm going to need a few days off lol.

potato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about what makes exploration in BOTW and Odyssey so rewarding. The one thing that really stands out to me is the game always rewards you when you go off the beaten path.

That may sound like a "duh" relevation until you think about how other open world games handle it. Remember in JRPGs when there's a fork in the road and you decide to take one that's off the beaten path and it turns out to be nothing? It's like developers thought to themselves, "let's not reward them for that every time. That way, when they go find something it's more rewarding."

BOTW and Odyssey say, "reward them every time."

Witcher 3 and Skyrim have a higher chance to be "rewarded" for this, it's still not close to "almost every time" like BOTW and Odyssey.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't trying to shitpost. Switch imo has the best first year lineup I've ever seen but that's not what this thread is about. Hard to take a thread title like this seriously but anyways I'll check myself.
I like giving people the benefit of the doubt so I'm not going to put this harshly, but the mockery of the thread kinda veered into an unnecessary direction for a very long time even if there was deeper insight intended that simply didn't come through. . .and to be honest I'm not sure if this is a thread that needed a critical approach in the first place considering other people's experiences and excitement aren't something that can be objectively disputed.

Essentially if it looks like a poo and smells like a poo, then even if you didn't actually mean to poo then it's probably a good call to check the floor.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
I was pretty negative towards the Switch from the moment it was announced. Hell, from earlier in all honesty. Once the rumours about the NX started I was already against the Switch purely because I felt burned after the Wii U.

That being said, my absolute adoration for Mario meant that I just had to buy a Switch to play Super Mario Odyssey. It was different with Breath of the Wild, because I didn't need a Switch to play that. But I couldn't let Mario slip. I can't remember the last time I didn't buy a main series Super Mario platformer day one.

And to be completely truthful, although skeptical about the system I've loved the time I have spent with it so far. It isn't perfect, and I still worry about it's viability going forward. I still can't see major third party studios supporting it fully. But there's a lot of games upcoming, such as Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Shin Megami Tensei V and the new No More Heroes game, as a few examples, that I really want to play. I'm actually looking forward to see what else we see for it.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
OP sounds quite disrespectful to all the other fantastic games that came out this year.

They weren't good enough for you until that patented Nintendo "magic" and "fun" eh?

Or, y'know, maybe the other stuff just isn't his thing? The OP wasn't shitting on other video games, he just said the Switch got him playing video games again after he was feeling fatigued. Nothing more, nothing less. It is that simple.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Lovefest thread. I was rolling in games and loving it when the switch came out. And I must disclose that my day 1 switch has not really seen a ton of use, but I will say the switch is the first console in a long time that I just love having and love using. It has awakened a certain aspect of enjoyment that I haven't fealt in awhile: the excitement for unique new console hardware.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The form factor probably has a lot to do with it. I'd probably clear out more of my Steam back catalog if I had a Switch style device to play them on.

Being able to play anywhere certainly has it's perks.

Oct 27, 2017
I played Zelda on Wii U, and none of the other games on the system appealed to me.If I only had a Switch I would miss out on so many great games. I've always felt like Nintendo systems were only good for supplementing my main system.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's been hard to go back to both the Wii U and 3DS after Switch launched.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I don't play my Switch as much as I want to, but love the pick up and play-design and the range of games it offers me. It really fits my busy life actually. I should take it out more. I couldn'put SMO down a few days ago, somehow Nintendo always ignite videogame binges with me. Same with BotW. I don't have much time to play unfortunately, but when games like SMO and BotW comes along, all my priorities go out the window and I just play play play haha :)

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I think the biggest pro the Switch has is the ability to play anywhere compared to PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Put it in sleep mode while on the go and resume immediately at home on the TV. It definitely makes it much easier to play more due to this feature for a busy person as myself that has a family.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I've never been really "out" of my gaming hobbie since I've always played games in multiple systems but something weird happened to me during the latter half of the last generation and early of this one. I wasn't really feeling the excitement that all the systems I have could provide and I think I know the reason why.

I was heavily disappointed by the WiiU (and to a lesser extent the 3DS), it didn't manage to fulfill the potential it promised in terms of innovation or even simply game quality. To me, this was the time when Nintendo simply started to play "safe", the WiiU didn't really offer anything unique compared to its predecessor aside from HD graphics, the same could be said about the 3DS compared to the DS but the difference is that at least the 3DS ended-up having a great line-up, and for that reason my interest in gaming started to fade. The fact that the first two years of the PS4 were incredibly lackluster didn't help matters.

This was especially for me since I bought TONS of games for the Wii and DS. That was one of the most exciting times to be a Nintendo fan. Sure, the Wii barely had any improved technology compared to the Gamecube but it had pretty creative games like Super Mario Galaxy, promising new franchises like Xenoblade Chronicles along with really well-executed entries like Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3, that's without mentioning the hidden third-party gems like No More Heroes, Madworld, Muramasa, etc. And I don't think I need to mention how inspired the DS ended-up being, probably one of the most inventive times for Nintendo and other companies. I even bought more PS3 games than PS4 games in their respective periods of time.

For that reason I wasn't really expecting much from the Switch. I initially thought it looked cool and lord knows I wanted to get rid of my WiiU already. BOTW was a pretty good starting point but after finishing it I kinda lost interest in the console. Everything changed with ARMS though since I ended-up having tons of fun with that game and after that the big hitters kept coming and coming (both from Nintendo and indies) and I was suddenly in love with the console. I quickly discovered how great it was too play in handheld mode compared to docked and it suddenly became my favorite method of playing the system, is by far the best handheld I ever had and I've loved pretty much every other one that has been released. And of course, I think everyone knows what happens with Super Mario Odyssey arrived.

This pretty much proves to me that the gaming industry is less interesting when Nintendo is not really trying to be different, when they don't try to create new experiences for the audience but when they do, things simply get much better as a whole.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in the same boat pre-Switch. Once I got it with Breath of the Wild I remembered why I love video games so much, it really did reignite my interest in gaming again.

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah I mean I'm a massive gamer but Odyssey is so refreshing from the little I've played that I can totally understand this. It just scratches that itch you might not have known you had.

Mainstream gaming and it's current trajectory is becoming so damn depressing but all that just melted away as soon as I booted Odyssey up. Going to rinse the rest of New Collossus (which I do love) and then properly dive into Mario and give it the time it deserves.

Not even bought BOTW yet so that's exciting. Imagine what current Nintendo is going to do with a Metroid Prime!!!!!!

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel the same way. The fact that sleep mode always works and I can take the console with me anywhere or just set it in the table and play while having TV on in the background really helps with that.

The diversity of the games on the system is helping as well. Zelda being a lighthearted open world game, Splatoon 2 being a shooter that doesn't punish me for being a little slower than the competition, Puyo Puyo Tetris two player on the go or Mario Kart on the go, now Super Mario Odyssey to brighten up my days.

Crediting a corporate's machine for curing your "gaming fatigue" (whatever that is) sounds like promotion.
Gaming fatigue is when you just don't feel like playing games. I've had this happen multiple times over the past few decades, it isn't that I don't want to play video games, as that is my primary hobby, it is just that whenever you pick up a game it feels like work and not fun.

Curing it would be finding games that don't feel like work. For the OP, it happens that those are on the Switch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crediting a corporate's machine for curing your "gaming fatigue" (whatever that is) sounds like promotion.
so?

Promotion of what exactly? Gaming fatigue is not a thing and I do not recommend any console over anything, same I told the other guy

Ok. But get lost? Ppl gotta grow up
You mean like coming to a thread and do not share anything that matters and then act like nothing happend? Yeah, I stand by it.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about what makes exploration in BOTW and Odyssey so rewarding. The one thing that really stands out to me is the game always rewards you when you go off the beaten path.

That may sound like a "duh" relevation until you think about how other open world games handle it. Remember in JRPGs when there's a fork in the road and you decide to take one that's off the beaten path and it turns out to be nothing? It's like developers thought to themselves, "let's not reward them for that every time. That way, when they go find something it's more rewarding."

BOTW and Odyssey say, "reward them every time."

Witcher 3 and Skyrim have a higher chance to be "rewarded" for this, it's still not close to "almost every time" like BOTW and Odyssey.

I feel there's far more to discover exploring Skyrim, then BotW. It's also a lot more rewarding.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you OP just with so much shit going on in the world I've drifted away from post apocalyptic stuff and Browns...brightly toned stuff like Switch, Overwatch and Capcom fighters are a welcome escape.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just posted something akin to this another thread and then found this lol. 100% agree, love this little beast of a gaming machine!

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's basically reinvigorated my love for gaming almost single handedly. The hybrid nature is the key, allows me to mess around without hijacking the tv from the gf.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in the same boat. I've put incomprehensible amounts of time into games recently...while it started with Zelda, I took a big break until Steamworld 2 came out. From there, through Golf Story, to Stardew Valley and now Mario...it's been endless gaming.

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There is absolutely no reason why a thread about whether the Nintendo Switch has rekindled someone's enjoyment of gaming should have had ten--yes, ten--reports. Quit bickering, or the thread will be locked and, if necessary, people will be banned.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
There have been some great games across all platforms this year, but I agree OP. Nintendo knocked it out of the park. The Switch is everything I wished the Wii U would have been.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
in my case PS4 did it after i feel fatigue with PS3

i bought PS4 at the end of last year and play almost everyday, game like Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Overwatch, Final Fantasy XIV, XV, Rise of Tomb Raider, Until Dawn, Nier Automata gave me such a joy, at some point even managed to hurt my waist because i played it too much

before that i even barely played with my PS3

as for Nintendo Switch, there are some titles i want to play, however it's damn shame in my country the Switch's price is so expensive (around $550), i'm actually on the verge to buy this console when Odyssey come out, the last mario i enjoyed was New Super Mario WII, i know Odyssey and New Super Mario kind of different game, but i'm sure the magic that Nintendo bring would be more or less same

when they release mainline Fire Emblem though, i probably wouldn't be able to hold it anymore, i'm such huge FE fans, it's one of few games that i usually bought day 1 at full price, i just hope when that day comes, Switch's price in my country is already stabilize

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't rest cure fatigue?

I agree Nintendo is knocking out of the ballpark, but I don't think that you were ever fatigued.