• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I canceled my first preorder because I thought it would be a terrible machine for me and because I wasn't really gaming much. Broke down right before Odyssey. I have no regrets. It is just a really fun machine. I've been on a lot of flights and road trips since I scooped it and that really sealed it for me. Any time I get a spare moment I'm getting a little time in. I think the portability is the big selling point for me and the kick I needed to really spend an hour or two...or more just straight gaming.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Same here! I find myself buying games that I'd never get for PS4 too. I'm actually struggling to take a break from Stardew Valley to play through Super Mario Odyssey

SystemShark

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary
It's had a huge impact on my household, specifically my wife. My son and I play the most games in the house by far, but ever since SMO arrived my wife has commandeered the Switch much to my chagrin. My son plays every other day, and I usually play later in the evening after my wife is done with her play through (which usually consists of her playing during the day undocked until the battery is dead charging it up so she can play again in the evening leaving me with whatever is left in the battery).

She hasn't played a game with any real engagement since Epic Mickey on the Wii. She enjoys playing Picross S and Puyo Puyo Tetris, but it's been a long time since we've had a singular focus on one game to this level before.

Maybe not so much gaming fatigue, but it has increased gaming in my house tenfold.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
A "Good Enough" mind set will take you no where.

Where exactly are you trying to get, though? Nintendo is doing just fine and people are enjoying these 'good enough' graphics. They are making profit and are healthy because they aren't incurring all of these development costs trying to make graphical enhancements like other AAA developers. You're not gonna see loot boxes or micro transactions in a Nintendo developed game for a while because they waited until it was cheap enough to develop at this tier unlike other companies. It's a smart move in my book.

Sebnec

Oct 28, 2017
Marseille, France
Thanks to the Switch, games are fun again for me.

Games are not lacking fun on other systems, it's just that maybe you played or saw the ones that were not matching your tastes. I love playing on my Switch as much as on my computer and my other consoles.

Anyway, I perfectly understand what you think about getting bored of videogames, as I've seen people around me who barely played anymore that really came back to gaming with great pleasure thanks to the Switch.

Its hybride nature, the fact that you can easily play a two players game with the pair of JC included, and the kind of good feeling games Nintendo tends to develop really give this system an unique feeling. It's one of their greatest systems to date imo and its library so far is really strong. Hopefully good software will be released at such a high rate in the forthcoming years.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games are not lacking fun on other systems, it's just that maybe you played or saw the ones that were not matching your tastes. I love playing on my Switch as much as on my computer and my other consoles.

Anyway, I perfectly understand what you think about getting bored of videogames, as I've seen people around me who barely played anymore that really came back to gaming with great pleasure thanks to the Switch.

Its hybride nature, the fact that you can easily play a two players game with the pair of JC included, and the kind of good feeling games Nintendo tends to develop really give this system an unique feeling. It's one of their greatest systems to date imo and its library so far is really strong. Hopefully good software will be released at such a high rate in the forthcoming years.
I had fun with other games this year, but in some regards and most of them felt like work to work around them, Switch gave me reasons to play

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
You're not gonna see loot boxes or micro transactions in a Nintendo developed game for a while because they waited until it was cheap enough to develop at this tier unlike other companies. It's a smart move in my book.

I love and em enjoying my time with the Switch but thus far aside from Zelda their "season pass" offering have been absolutely weak compared to the price they are charging.

IMO both MarioVRabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors have pretty basic tier DLC offerings for what is actually being charged and feel like it's just Nintendo getting a piece of the Season Pass action... even the BoTW season pass is a bit weak compared to the praise and offerings that came with MK8 on the WiiU. Or even Hyrule Warriors... comparing Hyrules Season Pass to Fire Emblems it's a huge difference in content.

Last edited:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I love and em enjoying my time with the Switch but thus far aside from Zelda their "season pass" offering have been absolutely weak compared to the price they are charging.

IMO both MarioVRabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors have pretty basic tier DLC offerings for what is actually being charged and feel like it's just Nintendo getting a piece of the Season Pass action... even the BoTW season pass is a bit weak compared to the praise and offerings that came with MK8 on the WiiU.

Ya after the amazing mk8 dlc I hope Nintendo picks it up with the second part of the BotW pass..

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Hasn't completely done that for me, but I'm playing Mario and for long bursts, I'll give it that, and also, I'm having a good time with it.

I'm still waiting for the "next big thing after Mass Effect Trilogy" in my book or the next big thing after Dark Souls, both of which were hallmark experiences for me, but that next step in gaming hasn't quite been scratched yet I feel.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Dark Souls/Bloodborne was what got me reinvigorated. My interest is slowly going away again.

Maybe some Mario would do me good. Maybe...

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Hasn't completely done that for me, but I'm playing Mario and for long bursts, I'll give it that, and also, I'm having a good time with it.

I'm still waiting for the "next big thing after Mass Effect Trilogy" in my book or the next big thing after Dark Souls, both of which were hallmark experiences for me, but that next step in gaming hasn't quite been scratched yet I feel.

If you like the Souls games and haven't tried the Monster Hunter series yet, def look forward to giving the beta a try Dec 9th if you have the system it's on! It's not exactly the same as Dark Souls but challenge is there, and it's a blast with friends!

Dark Souls/Bloodborne was what got me reinvigorated. My interest is slowly going away again.

Maybe some Mario would do me good. Maybe...

*whispers* Monster Hunter...

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Need a Switch...but must resist buying a Switch.

tenor.gif

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next thread will be: Switch has cured my depression and alcoholism lol.

I haven't played much on the Switch recently due to being busy but can't wait to jump in with Zelda + Mario soon.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I do feel that Swith fits my lifestyle a lot better than any other console ever released. I always liked portables but the Switch is something else. Its so flexible that it kind of becomes a no brainer to put in some gaming time. The games are great and all but the device itself is the reason that I care for the games. Sometimes I game on the TV, sometimes in bed, sometimes on the couch, sometimes during breaks with colleagues or co op with my wife in bed. I was never that into indie games before, but Im having a blast so far with all the good indie games.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If you like the Souls games and haven't tried the Monster Hunter series yet, def look forward to giving the beta a try Dec 9th if you have the system it's on! It's not exactly the same as Dark Souls but challenge is there, and it's a blast with friends!

*whispers* Monster Hunter...
I played MH3U for 300 hours this summer :3

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. I play it 99% in portable, and I find myself playing everything on it. I'm devouring anything I can get my hands on. I just love playing on my switch.

It's just amazing to have a home console level gaming in your hands. It's honestly my fav system in a long time.

Ive even found myself sometimes waiting for PS4 multiplats to come to Switch. Even if it's inferior technically, I just enjoy playing them that way.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Most definitely! By then my half year's MH hiatus will be gone and so will the fatigue be. I looove Monster Hunter, and World is gonna make me turn on my PS4 for the first time in ages.

Gonna PM you my PSN even though it's in my profile! I like the cut of your jib and your enthusiasm and need a few more hunters on PSN as it's really just me and my best friend who put 500-1000 hours in per series. The fact that squads/guilds are in place is so exciting to me... can finally make the "Meownster Hunter" guild my friend and I have always joked about with our Palico Companions.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Pretty much. I play it 99% in portable, and I find myself playing everything on it. I'm devouring anything I can get my hands on. I just love playing on my switch.

It's just amazing to have a home console level gaming in your hands. It's honestly my fav system in a long time.

Ive even found myself sometimes waiting for PS4 multiplats to come to Switch. Even if it's inferior technically, I just enjoy playing them that way.

Same for me. Thought I was gonna use it only docked and couldn't imagine playing Zelda handheld or tabletop. Now I use it almost exclusively handheld except for when I play multiplayer games with friends and family!

That's one thing a lot of people don't realize until they get there hands on it. You can play Skyrim on a handheld! I keep holding off on getting a PS4 to see what multiplayer's are coming over, too. I want to play all of my console games on the Switch due to the versatility.

OT: You did an awesome job defeating Amon, Avatar Korra! (Big fan of A:TLA!)

Oct 25, 2017
Same for me. Thought I was gonna use it only docked and couldn't imagine playing Zelda handheld or tabletop. Now I use it almost exclusively handheld except for when I play multiplayer games with friends and family!

That's one thing a lot of people don't realize until they get there hands on it. You can play Skyrim on a handheld! I keep holding off on getting a PS4 to see what multiplayer's are coming over, too. I want to play all of my console games on the Switch due to the versatility.

OT: You did an awesome job defeating Amon, Avatar Korra! (Big fan of A:TLA!)

Yeah. I don't even have to go out. Just being in my home, it's so comfy laying in bed, or sitting on the couch. Or just having the freedom to walk around.

In a weird way, I guess I also feel it's intimate. What I didn't expect going into the Switch, was just how good it feels to hold the console in your hands. Minus the d-pad, it's just so nice to play.

And yeah, I played BOTW completely in handheld. I tried docking it, but quickly preferred portable. What is really cool, is that because the high quality screen is 720p, it actually looks amazing on a screen of that size. So often IQ IMO looks amazing in portable.

(Heh thank you. I love her so much. Big Steven Universe fan as well. Just followed you!)

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Mario, BoTW, and Rabbids sure are great.

I do wonder about the details which most posters are not providing that would document their lull. Was buying less games the symptom or the cause of the boredom? Was there other shit going on in their lives? Is it not practical to play games on your family's shared HDTV? Thread leaves a lot of questions I think.

My lulls in gaming often coincide with a lack of new hardware and accompanying lack of innovative titles, but it never lasts more than about a year.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Where exactly are you trying to get, though? Nintendo is doing just fine and people are enjoying these 'good enough' graphics. They are making profit and are healthy because they aren't incurring all of these development costs trying to make graphical enhancements like other AAA developers. You're not gonna see loot boxes or micro transactions in a Nintendo developed game for a while because they waited until it was cheap enough to develop at this tier unlike other companies. It's a smart move in my book.

Well, and more importantly, it's just the graphics that fall under the "good enough" umbrella. The bulk of the effort is going towards... y'know, fun? Seems like a better way to prioritize than marginally more impressive spectacle.

Or: Why nobody cares about Super Lucky's Tale.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch is all I need now. I've already decided that I will never clear up my backlog on other platforms, and I've started a general purge of my physical games.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I picked up a Vita and it renewed my interest in gaming. I later picked up a PS4 and now recently purchased a Switch.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch is great, but gaming has more merit than the switch. I mean a Pc alone has so much good gaming in it anymore its incredible.

Cool.

Not really sure how that's relevant though? Might as well mention the Dreamcast and Commadore 64 whilst you're at it.

I think the OP was referring specifically to the Switches unique attributes that no console and even PC can offer in curing their 'fatigue', and I can see where they're coming from, I felt kinda ridiculous playing 999 on PS4 recently knowing that it was specifically designed for handheld and touch screen in mind, and there I was with a controller in hand and having to wait until I got home to play it. And that's a rather easy going 10-15 hour game, never mind something like Persona 5 that's 80+ hours of repetition and bloat towards the end, whereas the half a dozen or so games on Switch I have completed have been much more manageable due to how quickly one can boot up any game on it anywhere.

Hope you can see the point at least.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
For me personally it's indie games that has kept my gaming interest alive when it sometimes has been stumbling a bit. Inside. Firewatch. Little Nightmares. Games that doesn't require 40 hours from me and that I give up on my social life or my wife to enjoy a game. I have high hopes for what Xbox Game Pass can turn into in the future too, with smaller and episodic games releasing there first.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Thank you for saying it OP. I feel the same way.

I was stating to believe I had begun to "outgrow" gaming. With the 3 kids, the house, the overtime, I figured I might be done. Barely bough any new games last year.

Switch brought me back and I have been having so much fun with SMO, Splatoon 2, Zelda. I am falling in love with the hobby again.

The portability is big for me. I had Stardew Valley on PC but barely played it. I've but tons of hours into the Switch version. The pick it up and instantly play anywhere aspect of the Switch is probably the most compelling thing. I know there was the 3DS and Vita but neither of them ever quite scratched that itch for me. The 3DS was ugly and uncomfortable to play (in my opinion) and the Vita didn't have a lot of the style of games I like (though I did pay a few excellent titles).

Glad to see this thread. I kinda wanted to make a thread saying the same thing but feared the reactions and claims of Fanboyism.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely feel the same. I've been playing more on Switch than anything else. Makes me want a lot more ports from other systems sadly, as I'm way more likely to play them on Switch.

Initially I thought it would have been a glorified Wii U and I couldn't have been more wrong!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I've always stated that Switch was thought expressly for people on GAF/ERA that have troubles to play games due to fatigue and/or lack of time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to everyone who posted positive and similar stories, hope you guys can stay this way for a long long time

Switch is great, but gaming has more merit than the switch. I mean a Pc alone has so much good gaming in it anymore its incredible.
Not the point of the thread.
Thank you for saying it OP. I feel the same way.

I was stating to believe I had begun to "outgrow" gaming. With the 3 kids, the house, the overtime, I figured I might be done. Barely bough any new games last year.

Switch brought me back and I have been having so much fun with SMO, Splatoon 2, Zelda. I am falling in love with the hobby again.

The portability is big for me. I had Stardew Valley on PC but barely played it. I've but tons of hours into the Switch version. The pick it up and instantly play anywhere aspect of the Switch is probably the most compelling thing. I know there was the 3DS and Vita but neither of them ever quite scratched that itch for me. The 3DS was ugly and uncomfortable to play (in my opinion) and the Vita didn't have a lot of the style of games I like (though I did pay a few excellent titles).

Glad to see this thread. I kinda wanted to make a thread saying the same thing but feared the reactions and claims of Fanboyism.
Don't worry about the ones who says you are a fanboy, you know you are not and you have no trouble calling them out, if they keep insisting, it's a fault on their end, not yours.

Last edited:

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it was FFXIV. Played a few hundred hours of FFXIV since September and 70 hours of Divinity OS2 since that released. It's been Odyssey vs Divinity for the entire last week and most of the time Divinity won lol.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home

IMO both MarioVRabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors have pretty basic tier DLC offerings for what is actually being charged and feel like it's just Nintendo getting a piece of the Season Pass action... even the BoTW season pass is a bit weak compared to the praise and offerings that came with MK8 on the WiiU. Or even Hyrule Warriors... comparing Hyrules Season Pass to Fire Emblems it's a huge difference in content.
Rabbids is developed by Ubisoft and Fire Emblem by Omega Force + Team Ninja. Rabbids is even published by Ubisoft and FE by Koei Tecmo in Japan. Point being, Nintendo don't have a say in whatever DLC is developed for these games.
In fact off the top off my head the only Nintendo developed games that have had paid DLC are Mario Kart 8 last gen and now BotW.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Rabbids is developed by Ubisoft and Fire Emblem by Omega Force + Team Ninja. Rabbids is even published by Ubisoft and FE by Koei Tecmo in Japan. Point being, Nintendo don't have a say in whatever DLC is developed for these games.
In fact off the top off my head the only Nintendo developed games that have had paid DLC are Mario Kart 8 last gen and now BotW.
Nope, NSMB2, Fire Emblem Awakening at least have had DLC. Not to mention all the F2P 3DS titles.