• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb

We thought there would be no droughts now that Nintendo is focused on one platform, but 2018 proved us very wrong, it has been a horrible year for Switch in terms of first party releases and pacing.

This unification was supposed to speed up development time, but clearly that didn't work as well as expected. Nintendo has released few games in 2018 for Switch, and out of those, none managed to spark excitment because they were all smaller titles.

So what went wrong with the streamlined development? Were you expecting more from Nintendo on Switch's second year in the market? And looking forward to 2019 and beyond, should the drought fear still linger in our thoughts?

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
Because HD games are exponentially more demanding than 3DS games in terms of development resources

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon, Mario Party, Smash, Mario Tennis, Kirby? You're not going to get Zelda or Mario every year.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Every other console owner had drought too, games take more time with each new generation.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anything went wrong. Last year was stacked and next year appears to be as well. Even with a unified development there is still only so much they can put out. And this year we still got smash l, Mario party and a Pokemon.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's a big year for Nintendo... Smash, Pokémon and Kirby are some of my favourite nintendo franchises and we get big titles in every single one?

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
1. I don't feel it's been dry this year. Worse than 2017? Yes! But not dry.

2. Unless you rush it, games are not made in 1 or 2 years. Then you can still encounter development issues. You can't completely eliminate ALL "droughts" because of this.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Agreed, I thought we would get more games not less.

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem and Yoshi got delayed likely leaving a gap in the line up.
They also had their best teams all release major titles last year so they're not going to be ready to show up a year later.

Saying there's been a drought all year is disingenuous at best, tho

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
The lack of Nintendo EPD games is weird, hopefully they're working on big stuff for next year

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Poor pacing I guess. Coupled with the delay of Yoshi and Fire Emblem.

They packed an insane number of hits into 2017. Granted, 2018 still has Mario Party, Let's Go and Smash, but 2019 is looking like another insane year. Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Yoshi. Possibly Bayonetta and Metroid on top of all that. And who knows what the third party announcements will look like...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
A year of drought with 15 1st party games and 6 published 3rd party pickups. And continued 3DS support on top of that.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
This year isn't a drought by any means.
It just doen't look good when compared to the all firing PS4.

Remember 2014 for Playstation and Xbox? I don't.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
My guess is it's hard for the former 3DS (or Vita) devs to make the jump. A lot were small teams as they were making low resolution portable games. Hard to ask them to go make $60 HD console games that look good on both the Switch screen and big HDTVs without hiring a lot more staff. And there isn't much market for $40 midtier games anymore (though some succeed of course) as people seem to either want AAA production values at $60 or $20 or less indie games for the most part.

You'll probably get dogpiled though by people saying there's no drought. But there certainly is for people who don't care for things like Kirby, Octopath, Pokémon etc compared to 2017 with it heavy hitters.

That said, I knew what I was getting into as I only like a select few Nintendo games and Japanese third party games. Thus I'm not bothered by it as I bought it as a complementary platform and knew it would have down years of little use for me.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
The problem in 2018 was with their strategy and the focus on Labo and attracting casual gamers, not with the number of releases because as a publisher they released a good number of games.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They're still supporting the 3DS.

You really can't blame Luigi's Mansion for the Switch drought.

The real answer is that Nintendo still has a learning curve with HD development. We'll probably have a busy 2019 or 2020 to make up for how weak this year was. They're going to need to bring their A Game to the Sony/Microsoft launches.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Can't see how there was a drought. Especially if you were never a WiiU owner. Plus eShop has been getting games like crazy.

I mean if you were a WiiU owner, then yeah things were a little slow on the retail side of things if you didn't buy any of the ports, but it was by no means a drought.

Plus 2019 could be massive for Switch with a lot of huge games releasing.

Scum

Oct 25, 2017
xVzszLL.png

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
My guess is it's hard for the former 3DS (or Vita) devs to make the jump. A lot were small teams as they were making low resolution portable games. Hard to ask them to go make $60 HD console games that look good on both the Switch screen and big HDTVs without hiring a lot more staff. And there isn't much market for $40 midtier games anymore (though some succeed of course) as people seem to either want AAA production values at $60 or $20 or less indie games for the most part.

You'll probably get dogpiled though by people saying there's no drought. But there certainly is for people who don't care for things like Kirby, Octopath, Pokémon etc compared to 2017 with it heavy hitters.

That said, I knew what I was getting into as I only like a select few Nintendo games and Japanese third party games. Thus I'm not bothered by it as I bought it as a complementary platform and knew it would have down years of little use for me.
Low resolution games? On the Vita compared to Switch... hmm.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon, Mario Party, Smash, Mario Tennis, Kirby? You're not going to get Zelda or Mario every year.

It's a drought tho!!!

I'd love to see Sony or MS release five exclusive games in a year and it be called a drought lol...

2019 / Spring 2020 is looking crazy too exclusives wise -

Yoshi.
Fire Emblem.
Luigi's Mansion 3.
Animal Crossing.
Daemon X Machina.
Bayonetta 3.
Metroid Prime 4.

Probable MK8D and SMO DLC.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that we've seen so little of EPD this year. Do they even have a new game this year? Labo I guess, but it's definitely peculiar.

For instance, I don't understand how we don't have a brand new 2D Mario game already, or even Mario Maker 2. The previous one was 3 years ago, unless Mario Run ate up everything?

I also think an Animal Crossing game should have been ready by this year. Last one was so long ago. And again, if Splatoon 2 was the problem, then they have a manpower problem.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty strong on an indie front, but other than that, yeah, I agree, this year sucked hard. That's why Nintendo consoles will never be my main consoles, they're just too inconsistent content wise.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Every other console owner had drought too, games take more time with each new generation.

This is important to note as far as first parties go. It took 2 years after launch for Sony first party to really get in a good place with PS4, while Microsoft on X1 fizzled after 2016 and won't be back really strong until next year.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The first year and some of the second showed the fruits of their labor in abandoning the Wii U development in favor of the Switch.

Obviously after those games came out it'll take time for the next batch to be ready. Probably in between year 3-4 if we give them 2 years to ready new titles.

Add to this third party developers still aren't investing in making new original titles. You're left with small indie games and older ports to carry the lineup.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there were droughts, I'm skipping Pokemon because I have too many games in my Switch backlog, let alone my PS4 library.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Low resolution games? On the Vita compared to Switch... hmm.

It's 540p vs 720p for the Switch screen and docked games needing to get up to 900-1080p to not get slammed in reviews.

But I was more taking the 3DS devs as they're the ones that stood to benefit from consolidating to one platform. And that was a 240p screen.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that we've seen so little of EAD this year. Do they even have a new game this year? Labo I guess, but it's definitely peculiar.
I think basically are of EPD's studios were busy/just came off a big title.
Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, BOTW, ARMS, MK8D, and dlc for almost all of those.
Glad they helped 2017 launch so well, but maybe spacing things out would've been better.