• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
http://www.meusjogos.pt/2018/01/nintendo-switch-ultrapassa-vendas-da.html?m=1

I know most of you probably won't be able to understand the article, but it's not like the news are particularly surprising. Portugal is, much like most European countries, considered to be "Sony Land".

Yesterday or so we heard the news about the Switch being the fastest selling console in Spain. Well, I can't say that for my country, but at least we know the console is doing really great here compared to the antecessor, even though that wouldn't be hard at all! We're a very small market, and I'm not gonna lie that the support isn't always great. For example, no Nintendo first-party game for the Switch was localised to the Portuguese language. No problem for adults, as we often speak English, but what about the children? Think of the children!

Sony sometimes does localise their games, and I think that's part of the reason they do so well here.

Well, that's all I wanted to say. Switch is a great success worldwide confirmed!

EDIT: Sorry, noob here, I forgot to include the numbers: 20k consoles. So yeah, Portugal is really small!

Last edited:

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Is Portugal to Spain what Canada is to the US?
Pretty good news (as always), but I can't imagine the numbers being really big.

OP
OP
bitSS

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal

peninsula-iberica-mapa.jpg

Pretty good news (as always), but I can't imagine the numbers being really big

Yeah, sorry, actually forgot to include the numbers. 20K

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bugger me the Wii U was a humiliation for Nintendo. I'm happy they've rebounded in a big way. Just move the Wii U's entire first party library over to Switch and forget it ever happened.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
peninsula-iberica-mapa.jpg

Yeah, sorry, actually forgot to include the numbers. 20K
I know where it is :P
I mean it in the sales/market way. The Switch and some other consoles (gaming in general?) in Canada usually sell ~10% of what they do in the US. It could just be due to population tho.
And thanks a lot for the numbers!

OP
OP
bitSS

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
thank god. i'll never forget/forgive what they called shy guy and wiggler in mk7

which reminds me, mk8 dx is localized, but certainly because it's a wii u port

Oh, I actually didn't know that! Thanks!

Well, I want localisation, but with effort, ahaha! It probably isn't possible, we can't have everything :(

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty good news (as always), but I can't imagine the numbers being really big.
You mean adjacent?

EDIT:
I know where it is :P
I mean it in the sales/market way. The Switch and some other consoles (gaming in general?) in Canada usually sell ~10% of what they do in the US. It could just be due to population tho.
And thanks a lot for the numbers!
I have no idea... But yeah, Canada's population is 10% of the US population, so it kinda makes sense, I guess.

OP
OP
bitSS

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
The Switch and some other consoles (gaming in general?) in Canada usually sell 10% of what they do in the US

I have no idea how the sales perform proportionally. We should see less net sales here simply because we're a smaller country, but my guess is that proportionally the sales are smaller as well.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
The Wii U is like the Switch's ugly sibling. Yes, the Switch is hot, but comparing it to the Wii U just makes it look a million times hotter.

SelfToSky

Dec 22, 2017
i`m brazilian , and i play mk8d in portuguese because its localized for you guys in portugual, saddly i think thats the only first party game localized tho

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Man those country shapes in Europe are so weird. Used to the US State type shapes.
In Europe, we had to fight for our borders, the US ones are (at least in part) randomly drawn (you see something similar in Africa, where countries' borders were drawn by European colonists). As a result, borders in Europe align with easy-to-determine (and defend) landmarks like rivers, mountains, etc. (though not every border is drawn in that way, obviously).

But that's enough about borders: great result for the Switch, it seems to be doing pretty well all across Europe. Hearing this, and the record sales in the US, sheds some light on why they can't seem to satisfy Japan with sufficient shipments.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
In terms of being the less annoying sibling? Yes :P
How are we annoying! Are you by any means implying we fight over nonsensical territorial squabbles, and the noise that makes overshadows other important issues and invades your news feed?
How dare you...

Edit: Great for the Switch. That also reminds me the last time I was visiting Portugal, my brother and brought the Wii U... And forgot the charger for the GamePad. Fun times.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Since Switch now world-wide seems to have surpassed the Wii U LTD, this phenomenon probably occured in almost every country where Nintendo has presence by now.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I wonder about the 3DS sales as a result of Switch. Are Wii U and 3DS sales lower than Switch and 3DS too?

In Europe, we had to fight for our borders, the US ones are (at least in part) randomly drawn (you see something similar in Africa, where countries' borders were drawn by European colonists). As a result, borders in Europe align with easy-to-determine (and defend) landmarks like rivers, mountains, etc. (though not every border is drawn in that way, obviously).

But that's enough about borders: great result for the Switch, it seems to be doing pretty well all across Europe. Hearing this, and the record sales in the US, sheds some light on why they can't seem to satisfy Japan with sufficient shipments.

Europe still fights for her borders (Eg Spain vs Gibraltar and Morocco, Turkey vs Greece, Russia threatening Sweden and Norway if they join NATO etc)

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I know a lot of people who have bought or want to buy a Switch. The level of interest isn't even comparable.

I knew like one dude that had a Wii U.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Part of it!

thank god. i'll never forget/forgive what they called shy guy and wiggler in mk7

which reminds me, mk8 dx is localized, but certainly because it's a wii u port

What's wrong with Masquito? (Dunno bout wriggler). As a translator I find Nintendo's localization to be very well done. Super Smash was also (verl well) localized, as was Mario 3D World (Dunno about 3D Land, but I guess it was too).

Edit: Also, yeah. I'm the only person I know who has a Wii U. Curiously, some time ago I went to a gaming bar in Lisbon (Level Up) and noticed the Wii U had a lot of demand.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
OP, Sony localizes ALL their 1st party games. Big part of the reason why they dominate the Euro market in general.

Still great news for Nintendo! Can't get much of a better 1st year than this! If they can keep the software lineup healthy (which seems to be the case) it's their game to lose, no two ways about it. It also helps them that (and this is more my personal opinion) since they offer different things vs PS4/XB1/PC most people have no real issue adding a Switch to whatever their "main" or "current" platform is.