• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This works great but the only issue thats stopping it from being perfect is the Analogs being detected as D-Pads instead, so makes it sort of useless for playing Steam Link games
Yeah, this is a huge deal. I wanted to play through Bully but I'm holding off until the analogs are fixed instead of the weird digital solution we've got right now.

The sticks work fine if you're using Moonlight though (I understand this is not an option for many people).

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Yeah, this is a huge deal. I wanted to play through Bully but I'm holding off until the analogs are fixed instead of the weird digital solution we've got right now.

The sticks work fine if you're using Moonlight though (I understand this is not an option for many people).

If you guys have another controller, those work as well. I use my xbox 1 controller and it works well. Though it does limit you if you want/need to be mobile

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Moonlight works? I thought i remember trying it and it didn't work any different to Steam link. I'll try again

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
I just tried Skyrm there, the analogs are acting as a d pad, you can't walk in it.
Maybe because I flashed the joycon fix that fixes l3 and r3 presses

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im still lost about hacking my launch switch. What is it exactly capable of ? I don't do pc streaming. More interested in older systems

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Lakka or Android emulation for Switch when it comes to emulation for you?
Android seems to be running some Dolphin Wii and GC games like the Galaxy 2, Melee, Wind Waker and The Simpsons: Hit and Run way better than Lakka (in the case of WW it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay better on Android than Lakka).

Though there is the issue of the analogs not working correctly so I'd probably wait for those to get sorted before jumping in.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok how do you boot into this? Also what firmware revisions does it work on?

It boots entirely off the SD card, your NAND is not touched at all, so ban risk is very low.

In order to boot it, you need to be capable of running payloads via RCM. This is dependent on your Switch manufacturing date, as the hardware flaw needed was patched around July 2018. You can Google for a serial number lookup reference to determine it. If your unit is not patched, firmware version doesn't matter, and it should be able to boot Android forever.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
It boots entirely off the SD card, your NAND is not touched at all, so ban risk is very low.

In order to boot it, you need to be capable of running payloads via RCM. This is dependent on your Switch manufacturing date, as the hardware flaw needed was patched around July 2018. You can Google for a serial number lookup reference to determine it. If your unit is not patched, firmware version doesn't matter, and it should be able to boot Android forever.

I have a launch day switch.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So can I stream any steam game (from my PC to Switch) that has controller support?

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Android seems to be running some Dolphin Wii and GC games like the Galaxy 2, Melee, Wind Waker and The Simpsons: Hit and Run way better than Lakka (in the case of WW it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay better on Android than Lakka).

Though there is the issue of the analogs not working correctly so I'd probably wait for those to get sorted before jumping in.
AFAIK émulation through Android is ahead of Lakka right now

Oct 27, 2017
I have a launch day switch.

So you should be able to send payloads, and thus boot Android, indefinitely then. No need to ever worry about firmware updates. Theres a small chance CFW will one day not be possible if Nintendo gets really clever, but I doubt it. But since Android doesn't touch the OS at all, it will always be good to go on your Switch

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Since we don't have a homebrew thread, is there a guide for booting into CFW with SysNAND? I want to play my existing games with SysClck and if I use emuMMC it's a clean wipe... what option am I supposed to pick on the Hekate GUI?

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
So can I stream any steam game (from my PC to Switch) that has controller support?
I think you just need steam link app and you're gtg. If you have a nvidia card, you can use gamestream. And if you use shieldifier, you can use geforce now for streaming. The geforce now works really well, and it's a beefy machine that you're streaming from.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll get my new switch today so I'll home brew my launch one. But I still can't find a noob friendly guide. I just want to play my older game (emulation). Don't care about pc gaming I don't have one. Any good guide what's working full speed ? Which system ? Thanks

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If only the Mini had TV out, my friends would haunt me if we couldn't play Smash online anymore on the TV :(
Yeah I do think that's a big mistake, but they're obviously trying to keep some appeal to the Switch OG.

I know that asides from party games though, I play my Switch handheld 90% of the time.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I do think that's a big mistake, but they're obviously trying to keep some appeal to the Switch OG.

I know that asides from party games though, I play my Switch handheld 90% of the time.

I get that, sadly even if I don't take my friends and Smash into account I'm about 50/50 as far as handheld and TV go. I'm still hoping that the Switch Mini can achieve unofficial TV out via an extension-cord to the original dock.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't wait until they fix the analog sticks. Streaming Sea of Thieves on my back deck is awesome and plays flawless with a xbone controller.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got my new switch
Want to hack my launch one. But im
Totally lost. I'm only interested in my backlog emulation. I need to install android first ?

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Just got my new switch
Want to hack my launch one. But im
Totally lost. I'm only interested in my backlog emulation. I need to install android first ?
What systems are you interested in emulating? Most emulation on Switch can be done just fine in its ordinary OS with CFW, only a few consoles benefit from better performance (e.g. Dreamcast and DS) or are even possible (e.g. Gamecube) on android. Everything up to N64 and PS1 (and some Dreamcast games) for consoles, as well as GBA and PSP for handhelds work great without Android so unless you really want to emulate the few systems that are better on Android it may not be worth your time installing it.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What systems are you interested in emulating? Most emulation on Switch can be done just fine in its ordinary OS with CFW, only a few consoles benefit from better performance (e.g. Dreamcast and DS) or are even possible (e.g. Gamecube) on android. Everything up to N64 and PS1 (and some Dreamcast games) for consoles, as well as GBA and PSP for handhelds work great without Android so unless you really want to emulate the few systems that are better on Android it may not be worth your time installing it.
Well I want the best perf and the biggest choice. What would be the best ?
my top would be Nintendo 64/ps1/Dreamcast and wii/gc

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Well I want the best perf and the biggest choice. What would be the best ?
my top would be Nintendo 64/ps1/Dreamcast and wii/gc
In that case Android is probably preferable. Due to the Switch's hardware Wii and Gamecube will be fairly hit and miss but everything else should be fine.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Will give it a try. If you have any noob guide It will be appreciated. I'm absolutely lost

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to get in on this. Anyone know how well the Saturn version of Grandia runs on the Switch?

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I got mine on amazon, but paid a premium cause I didnt want to wait for three weeks for one to ship from China

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any advice for storing microSD cards with their Switch? I've seen blank 3D-printed cartridges that can store (but not read, obvs) them so they're not kicking about my Switch case, but any other options would be appreciated.
Closest kinda commercial thing I've seen is this, but it's basically impossible to find now.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My RCMloader just arrived! Now I can keep it in my Switch's travel case and boot Android without needing my PC :) (the Android app doesn't work on my phone for some reason)

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you holding the power up button when the system turns on, and have the jig inserted?
Yeah. I was in that menu to install the gapps. First it took me like 20m (looks like 2m on the video ) then i reboot. Not holding vol+ after reboot but still black screen

Im using a 400gb sd (I took the 128gb file ) Why no bigger file Btw ?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I was in that menu to install the gapps. First it took me like 20m (looks like 2m on the video ) then i reboot. Not holding vol+ after reboot but still black screen

Im using a 400gb sd (I took the 128gb file ) Why no bigger file Btw ?

Did you wipe the Dalvik Cache after flashing the GApps? That step is absolutely vital or you get that black screen.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I did. Doing again

how to get back my sd to normal for windoS afterward ? I want to try my 256gb. Took so much time on my 400 maybe something is wrong. How long is that supposed to take ?(gapps)