• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
What is the latest firmware that can be hacked for homebrew?

I never use my switch now because of the price of the games and lack of Nintendo output that I am interested in nowadays.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Quick question, are the old switches, the ones compatible with the jig hack still hackable despite the firmware upgrades?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how being able to mod my old Switch is one of the main reasons I need and will buy the new revision lol.

Nintendo - come on drop the new Switch models lol

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea how this would work? I'm assuming that because it's a full OS, it'd run similar to how Lakka and L4T work, in that they don't touch the Switch OS.

Which I'm totally cool with.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Switch would make a perfect Android tablet outside of a low res 720p screen. Full controllers built into the device, decent size screen, active cooling. This is incredible. Hope it has gapps support. Probably doesn't use Horizon either like Lakka. Triple boot the device using Horizon, Linux or Android.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why they don't bring Shield native games to Switch. This proves you literally have to do nothing, they run perfectly when Android is emulated. It's just free money. Dammit, 2K and Eidos.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
XDA opened up a Switch forum because of this development. LINK to this on their forum. The port is using LineageOS 15.1 currently

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This is seriously fantastic. Like others here have said, I might not sell my Switch when I eventually get the Pro Switch.

With full Android I assume that means it'll work with emulators up to at least N64, PS1, and PSP. I had an Nvidia Shield Portable and it ran PSP games pretty much perfectly outside of a few bugs on some games that I'm sure have been fixed in the last several years.
I wonder if people could get the official Chinese Wii game releases for Shield running on Switch.
This is my big question.

If I can get Gamecube or Wii emulation working on this (working WELL, at least) then it'll be what I'd always wanted from the Switch.

If those work at all it'll basically make the Switch the emulation decide I've always wanted. All my handheld games on one device and a bunch of my console games too, AND streaming from my PC.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. It's a massive hardware fault. They can plug the hole with firmware, but hackers undo it immediately after.

As many others, the moment the revision comes out I'm hacking my unit.
They can't plug the hole that enables this through a firmware patch. You don't even boot into the official Switch firmware to launch this, it's launched directly from a custom bootloader, just like regular Linux or Lakka. As long as you have a vulnerable bootloader, you can use this, regardless of which firmware version you're on.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
This is my big question.

If I can get Gamecube or Wii emulation working on this (working WELL, at least) then it'll be what I'd always wanted from the Switch.

If those work at all it'll basically make the Switch the emulation decide I've always wanted. All my handheld games on one device and a bunch of my console games too, AND streaming from my PC.
Those have some pretty nasty DRM in them that require frequent online-checks which are very hard to spoof if even possible. Not sure if anyone is even still working on cracking those games.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Those have some pretty nasty DRM in them that require frequent online-checks which are very hard to spoof if even possible. Not sure if anyone is even still working on cracking those games.
Oh geez, had no idea.

Still, I know that Gamecube emulation (and I assume Wii) is a thing on Android. The Shield TV I know can run some games surprisingly well, Butni know the Switch is a little weaker than that I think.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They can't plug the hole that enables this through a firmware patch. You don't even boot into the official Switch firmware to launch this, it's launched directly from a custom bootloader, just like regular Linux or Lakka. As long as you have a vulnerable bootloader, you can use this, regardless of which firmware version you're on.
They did plug the bootloader for a few weeks with firmware 6.2, IIRC, by using the Tsec chip in the boot process (Don't remember how, I think it was the boot up process now demands a key only the TSEC can provide) and people thought the security chip they were using for the task was secure and the patch was a work of genius... Until it turned out the TSEC chip was also vulnerable, and hackers got a way of obtaining the boot key.

Even now, new firmwares have been changing that key IIRC, that's what I mean by plugging the hole, but it takes like, an hour to obtain it. So yeah, it's like stopping the sun with a thumb.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Oh geez, had no idea.

Still, I know that Gamecube emulation (and I assume Wii) is a thing on Android. The Shield TV I know can run some games surprisingly well, Butni know the Switch is a little weaker than that I think.

The Switch Tegra X1 is the same as the Shield TV. Only difference is its down clocked because of it having a battery.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
They did plug the bootloader for a few weeks with firmware 6.2, IIRC, by using the Tsec chip in the boot process (Don't remember how, I think it was the boot up process now demands a key only the TSEC can provide) and people thought the security chip they were using for the task was secure and the patch was a work of genius... Until it turned out the TSEC chip was also vulnerable, and hackers got a way of obtaining the boot key.

Even now, new firmwares have been changing that key IIRC, that's what I mean by plugging the hole, but it takes like, an hour to obtain it. So yeah, it's like stopping the sun with a thumb.
IIRC that only prevented people from booting the firmware, not from running a custom bootloader like Hekate which is all that's needed to boot Lakka, Ubuntu or Android. You never even touch the official Switch firmware that way.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
IIRC that only prevented people from booting the firmware, not from running a custom bootloader like Hekate which is all that's needed to boot Lakka, Ubuntu or Android. You never even touch the official Switch firmware that way.
Maybe you are right, I really don't know, I haven't really been up to date. I said they can plug the hole as in, they can be mildly annoying to the hackers. And yeah, that's right, it's such and unprecedented way of hacking a system that it also brings unprecedented possibilities.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This is incredible, and much preferable to messing with Ubuntu, as someone that isn't that familiar with Linux

Pretty soon it should be possible to do the following quadruple boot, potentially from a single SD:

1. Horizon OS official firmware for Switch games
2. EmuMMC Horizon OS for Switch-based home brew (GzDoom, OpenMW, OpenRCT2, xAsh, etc)
3. Lakka for Vulkan accelerated RetroArch for emulating your cartridge dumps etc on the go as your own virtual console (could be achieved through 2 as well)
4. Android for media consumption, web browsing, PC streaming

I bought a second switch a year ago for home brew, and it's been great. It will be an amazing device, much more so in just a few months

This would be breathtaking. I would honestly pay for this.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it could basically play the Metal Gear Rising port, yas!

Also those Mario Galaxy HD chinese ports for it.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
This is seriously enticing and impressive and makes me glad I was an early switch adopter so I can just get the pro and use the oldie as a Homebrew wonder device.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Taxman's Sonic 1 and 2 on Switch hold me.
And CD!

Ah, that answers it then. I basically only use my Switch for Lakka now, but hate the idea of going anywhere near the NAND or Horizon.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not legally. They still haven't been cracked yet. After they are, you probably could, but yeah, not legally. Due its strong DRM mechanisms

Ah, crap, it's not possible to buy on the Shield's store accross the sea then I assume?

In any case, Dolphin serves me better on that front, not like I hacked my Switch yet, either...I still play a bunch online so that's not in the plan until a HW revision or end of life.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So all launch Switch's have an exploit that means it's easy to homebrew right? Something physical that they can't patch out? Because I'm 100% planning on homebrewing my current Switch once I pick up a pro.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So all launch Switch's have an exploit that means it's easy to homebrew right? Something physical that they can't patch out? Because I'm 100% planning on homebrewing my current Switch once I pick up a pro.

If you bought a Switch before June 2018 (when Nintendo started sending out systems with the exploit fixed) you can easily get into homebrew.

The hardware exploit is unpatchable.

Dec 25, 2018
Wouldn't homebrew my switch, but I homebrewed my Vita. Super awesome, may not be as awesome but it feels much more portable. It was also very easy to do.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Waaaaait so my launch Switch can still be homebrewed even with the recent software updates? And I can dual-boot?
Well shit. Looks like I won't be selling it when the hardware refreshes come out.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Waaaaait so my launch Switch can still be homebrewed even with the recent software updates? And I can dual-boot?
Well shit. Looks like I won't be selling it when the hardware refreshes come out.
This is me - I thought that by keeping reasonably current with firmware updates, I had locked myself out of homebrew. This is very exciting.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Can you put switch in hacked state permanently? Last time I tried it a few months ago I had to re-enable hack with the jig when rebooting. Too jank for me for daily use.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
This is me - I thought that by keeping reasonably current with firmware updates, I had locked myself out of homebrew. This is very exciting.
Yup, this is how I roll with mine! The exploit is hardware-based, so there's literally nothing Nintendo can do to so long as you still have that hardware. I keep my main Switch software updated and still use Lakka for Retroarch :)

Can you put switch in hacked state permanently? Last time I tried it a few months ago I had to re-enable hack with the jig when rebooting. Too jank for me for daily use.
Kind of. Normally you need the jig to put in the right joycon slot, then hold the volume up button and turn it on before you can drop the payload via the USB-C port (which then boots to Linux or whatever). But there's a way to make the Switch boot right into that recovery mode without all that stuff, so all you need is the payload dropper (I have this one). Look up "AutoRCM" :)
I am pretty sure you can get it into an actual permanent hacked mode, but it would require modding of the internal Switch software and guarantee you a console (and maybe account) ban.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

You can use AutoRCM so you don't need a jig. But you still need something to load Hekate. Unless you open your Switch up and install a mod chip.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously considering getting a second Switch to homebrew with
Yep. In fact, I just ordered one. Hope there are no real huge barriers to entry with homebrew.

I will use the new one as my main Switch and my original as the homebrew machine. I got it in December 2017 so it should be good but I'll double check to make sure.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
You can use AutoRCM so you don't need a jig. But you still need something to load Hekate. Unless you open your Switch up and install a mod chip.
Yeah, basically this. I've used NS-Atmosphere with success because it's very portable, but I've also played around with the Android Hekate loader (which I couldn't get to work).