• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
How well is PPSSPP running on it? Or, is there an alternative?
Great for the most part. There are a few things that make it chug, like a particular option that's used by Burnout Legends for the sun... disable it and it's smooth as but the sun looks weird, enable and sun is fine but chugs like a SOB.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
What's the best resource for homebrewing the Switch? This place?: https://switch.hacks.guide/
I think I used their 3DS page for my 3DS's.

With the Switch Lite announced I'm thinking about doing this to my launch Switch.

So awesome that you basically turn the Switch into an Nvidea Shield Portable 2.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for revision to come so I can do it with my' launch unit. Damn. Will stay offline with that one

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Oh please do make a thread.

It bugs me that you need a dedicated microsd to do this :(
Looks like they only have options for cards up to 128gb as well.

The instructions say to use the download matching the SD card size, but mine is 200gb. They say you lose the storage if you don't get the matching download.
Can't wait for revision to come so I can do it with my' launch unit. Damn. Will stay offline with that one
Yeah, I just need to decide if I want the Lite or the new regular one.

I might end up waiting a while longer too, maybe if there's a special edition of either console down the line (I'd love a Metroid Prime bundle).

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Looks like they only have options for cards up to 128gb as well.

The instructions say to use the download matching the SD card size, but mine is 200gb. They say you lose the storage if you don't get the matching download.
My backup SD which I'm using to install this is 64GB but I'm using the 32GB mirror just fine

I've got everything set up and currently installing Bully, will report back with the results

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If I have a launch Switch, can I install this regardless of which firmware I have? I'm seriously considering purchasing the new Switch with the extra battery life and hacking my current one

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
If I have a launch Switch, can I install this regardless of which firmware I have? I'm seriously considering purchasing the new Switch with the extra battery life and hacking my current one
Absolutely. As long as you have access to RCM, you're good.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Of course it comes out the one day I'm away from my laptop. Can't wait to load it up with Drastic tomorrow, should run like a dream on the Switch

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Bully boots and has zero performance/graphical issues, the main issue I'm facing with it right now though is the fact that Joycon inputs are kinda fucked. Menu's work but the analog sticks don't, gonna see if I can fix it.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Man, this sucks. They said the analog sticks were busted for some apps but I was really hoping Bully wouldn't be one of them.

Supposedly Portal works great so I'll try that next. I'll give GTA:SA a shot too but I'm not expecting much if Bully doesn't work.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Okay, tried GTA:SA. Performance wise it is perfect but literally the only thing keeping it from being unplayable is the fact that the damn Joy Cons analogs don't work meaning you can't even move!

Tried Moonlight (game streaming) with Monster Hunter: World and my god, it runs perfectly. Completed a Lunastra hunt like this and no issues whatsoever. My internet isn't even that amazing and I'm streaming over WiFi yet zero issues, no latency problems whatsoever. I think this will be my preferred way to hunt going forward, lol.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Okay, tried GTA:SA. Performance wise it is perfect but literally the only thing keeping it from being unplayable is the fact that the damn Joy Cons analogs don't work meaning you can't even move!

Tried Moonlight (game streaming) with Monster Hunter: World and my god, it runs perfectly. Completed a Lunastra hunt like this and no issues whatsoever. My internet isn't even that amazing and I'm streaming over WiFi yet zero issues, no latency problems whatsoever. I think this will be my preferred way to hunt going forward, lol.

Woah hold up. Moonlight is working on it? I guess I know what I'm setting up tonight.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Woah hold up. Moonlight is working on it? I guess I know what I'm setting up tonight.
Yeah, works well. The only issue is that the L3/R3 buttons aren't working but that's more to do with the Switch Android ROM being super finicky when it comes to certain Joy Con controls not working with certain apps, they're planning on fixing this soon though so I'd give it a shot.

Just to be clear, with regards to Moonlight, only the L3/R3 buttons (the clickable thumbsticks) don't work, the rest do. MHW is perfect on this thing. No clickable thumbsticks kinda hurt when using the radial menu but it's nothing too bad.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah, works well. The only issue is that the L3/R3 buttons aren't working but that's more to do with the Switch Android ROM being super finicky when it comes to certain Joy Con controls not working with certain apps, they're planning on fixing this soon though so I'd give it a shot.

Just to be clear, with regards to Moonlight, only the L3/R3 buttons (the clickable thumbsticks) don't work, the rest do. MHW is perfect on this thing. No clickable thumbsticks kinda hurt when using the radial menu but it's nothing too bad.

This is all from the lineageOS that just dropped? Awesome. I might need to wait until I grab an extra sd card. I'm not sure there is a way for me to dual boot the card I am already using for Homebrew.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Best buy is conveniently down the road from my house which has a SanDisk 64gb micro SD on sale for 13 bucks. I guess I can do this tonight.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best resource for homebrewing the Switch? This place?: https://switch.hacks.guide/
I think I used their 3DS page for my 3DS's.

With the Switch Lite announced I'm thinking about doing this to my launch Switch.

So awesome that you basically turn the Switch into an Nvidea Shield Portable 2.

I think I used a different site when I did my Switch... unfortunately can't remember or find the URL now, but it's a well known one and I'm sure it's linked in the Switch homebrew thread. It lets you select your options and it packages all the needed files in zip files for you to download.

This Youtube channel has good and recent guides for homebrewing your Switch (if you can get past the dude's heavy accent): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbbCvqxzvVrsVMLXnG8amxg

Monster Hunter: World on Switch
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Made a vid of MHW running on the Switch through Moonlight. Wanted to test an action heavy game that is focused around precise inputs and timings, this works really well. No major input lag whatsoever, and I have a really shitty internet connection running through a garbage WiFi setup so this is something.

Anyone try borderlands 2 yet?
Yes through Moonlight, works well.

Will this let me stream FF14 to my Switch hmmmmmm
Yeah, should work great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Tested Persona 5 through Moonlight + RPCS3, that runs perfectly at 60fps, arguably a way superior experience than the PS4 version. Seriously starting to consider making a thread now that game streaming has been completely blown up on the Switch with the introduction of Nvidia GameStream with Moonlight through LineageOS instead of that In-Home Switching jank.

Last edited:

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Awesome. How bad is the battery life?
Tested Persona 5 through Moonlight + RPCS3, that runs perfectly at 60fps, arguably a way superior experience than the PS4 version. Seriously starting to consider making a thread now that game streaming has been completely blown up on the Switch with the introduction of LineageOS.

Awesome. I just installed it. I'm having issues with Google play services not responding after installing the apps and booting back into Lineage. I will play around with it more.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Tested Persona 5 through Moonlight + RPCS3, that runs perfectly at 60fps, arguably a way superior experience than the PS4 version. Seriously starting to consider making a thread now that game streaming has been completely blown up on the Switch with the introduction of LineageOS.
Why not just remote play it on vita?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Awesome. How bad is the battery life?
It's pretty bad honestly, they're working on improving it though.

Awesome. I just installed it. I'm having issues with Google play services not responding after installing the apps and booting back into Lineage. I will play around with it more.
Did you boot into LineageOS first and not TWRP? I heard that if you do so, you may need to flash the image onto your SD Card again :/

Why not just remote play it on vita?
Wanted to try it out just cuz, lol. Vita doesn't support 5Ghz WiFi though so Remote Play will always look, perform and feel worse than doing it through Switch and Moonlight. That Monster Hunter: World video I posted above is proof of this really.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I womder if the hacked remoteplay app using magisk work on this? FF14 is perfect for remoteplay, does via Moonlight do the auto switch of controls and hud setting like Vita remoteplay?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I womder if the hacked remoteplay app using magisk work on this? FF14 is perfect for remoteplay, does via Moonlight do the auto switch of controls and hud setting like Vita remoteplay?
I'm not into FF14 but if there's a free trial, I can give it a shot. I thought the hacked Remote Play app stopped working as of late (according to some ppl anyway) but apparently it's still kicking. Gonna try it now. I think I remember trying this out before but had no luck pairing it with a DualShock 4 so I don't know how Joy Cons are gonna fare. Might need to install Sony Framework to get the DS4 working at least.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not into FF14 but if there's a free trial, I can give it a shot. I thought Remote Play through Magisk doesn't work anymore but apparently it does? Gonna try it now.
It does on my rooted Note 5 and yeah there's a free trial for FF14. FF14 was made with remoteplay in mind, game has many option to cater for remoteplay

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Tested Persona 5 through Moonlight + RPCS3, that runs perfectly at 60fps, arguably a way superior experience than the PS4 version. Seriously starting to consider making a thread now that game streaming has been completely blown up on the Switch with the introduction of Nvidia GameStream with Moonlight through LineageOS instead of that In-Home Switching jank.
Please post a link in this thread if you start a new one. Thanks.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Portal, MGS3 etc. is nice, but has anyone got Shields Mario Galaxy or Zelda Twilight Princess running yet? You know, the important stuff.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Portal, MGS3 etc. is nice, but has anyone got Shields Mario Galaxy or Zelda Twilight Princess running yet? You know, the important stuff.
Not possible right now. All the Nintendo games made for the Chinese NVIDIA SHIELD TV won't run on anything that isn't that due to an e-fuse acting as a sort of DRM, locking it specifically to those Chinese SHIELD TV units. Best bet is to just emulate them and then stream them to your Switch.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's real trippy playing Dr Mario world on the Switch.
Sucks Nintendo is generally anti-emulator though, Pokemon Masters is blocked.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
For those experiencing problems, finding incompatibilities and so on - remember that this is the first Beta release. Things will improve over time.

Also, if you're finding it's slow to boot and navigate Android then it's likely your SD card - get a faster card (I've seen a recommendation of the Samsung EVO Select U3 128GB elsewhere, not tried it myself though).

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I would think that while just streaming a game the battery life is also pretty decent? if all the power management and video acceleration is working decently that is.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm if DraSTic (or however it's typed) works with this without too much hassle?

And will 16GB be enough to at least tinker with this? I don't have any bigger ones just kicking about.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaannnn. If there's one thing I want natively on the system it's game streaming. They've partnered with Nvidia. Put their streaming service on it! I have tons of VNs and other games on PC that are of low mechanical complexity that I'd love to play on Switch.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not mine but apparently Vice City works flawlessly, analog sticks and all. Seems it's only Bully and GTA:SA that have busted analog stick controls.

A2SONqE.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I would think that while just streaming a game the battery life is also pretty decent? if all the power management and video acceleration is working decently that is.
Video acceleration works perfectly, it's as if it was a Shield TV, and it gets the same scores in AnTutu. In the post about the release, apparently power management is different, instead of clocks changing dynamically like in the Shield TV it seems you have to choose power profiles with fixed clocks.

Maybe someone who has actually used it can confirm it, I intend on using this mod (As it does not risk the online ban) but Im on vacation and don't have my Switch at the moment.