• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for being ignorant, but wasn't Super Mario Galaxy ported to the Shield in another region? Would that work on the Switch?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I assume games that don't have native controller support on Android like Honkai Impact won't work with Joycon controls on the Switch either? Still this is awesome, I may need a second Switch down the line! :D

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Is Dual Boot at all possible or do you need 2 SD cards
Dual boot is not possible at the moment, you need a separate SD card for LineageOS yeh

So I assume games that don't have native controller support on Android like Honkai Impact won't work with Joycon controls on the Switch either? Still this is awesome, I may need a second Switch down the line! :D
You can use Tincore to map touch screen binds to the controller for Honkai Impact 3 and other games though it's not the ideal solution ofc

Sorry for being ignorant, but wasn't Super Mario Galaxy ported to the Shield in another region? Would that work on the Switch?
Read my post on the previous page, it isn't possible to get those Chinese SHIELD TV Nintendo ports on this as those were specially made for that specific hardware and won't work on anything else.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Dual boot is not possible at the moment, you need a separate SD card for LineageOS yeh

You can use Tincore to map binds to the controller for Honkai Impact 3 and other games

Read my post on the previous page, it isn't possible to get those Chinese SHIELD TV Nintendo ports on this as those were specially made for that specific hardware and won't work on anything else.

Interesting, thanks! Does this need root? I can see that being pretty handy with my Xiaomi Mi 8 and SF30 Pro too, I normally play Honkai on my PC with LDPlayer but I've had some performance issues with that lately, mainly it lagging at times and apps taking 5+ minutes to load.

Also about the Switch, I normally only hack my systems when I have two of them or if they are nearing EoL, I've heard of "dual-booting" Switch Homebrew before, if I had two SD cards, could I run LineageOS and leave my actual Switch OS untouched? I would consider trying this with my current launch-day Switch if I can just reboot back to a clean Switch mode and keep playing online and all without getting banned.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Does this need root?
The Tincore stuff? Yup.
I've heard of "dual-booting" Switch Homebrew before, if I had two SD cards, could I run LineageOS and leave my actual Switch OS untouched? I would consider trying this with my current launch-day Switch if I can just reboot back to a clean Switch mode and keep playing online and all without getting banned.
Yes, and it would mean your actual Switch is squeaky clean meaning you can go online without getting banned. You aren't actually installing any sort of CFW here or messing with the default Horizon OS, everything is being done on a separate SD card that has nothing to do with any of that stuff. Your sysNAND isn't being touched.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The Tincore stuff? Yup.

Yes, and it would mean your actual Switch is squeaky clean meaning you can go online without getting banned. You aren't actually installing any sort of CFW here or messing with the default Horizon OS, everything is being done on a separate SD card that has nothing to do with any of that stuff. Your sysNAND isn't being touched.

Ah too bad about Tincore, I don't want to root my Mi 8 just for that.

And I see that almost sounds too good to be true, so there are no downsides or risks whatsoever ? I guess all I would need is a second SD card and this https://switchjigs.com/?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ah too bad about Tincore, I don't want to root my Mi 8 just for that.

And I see that almost sounds too good to be true, so there are no downsides or risks whatsoever ? I guess all I would need is a second SD card and this https://switchjigs.com/?
And a way to push payloads to your Switch. Some people connect their Switches to their Android phones or have these dedicated injectors but I just use a simple USB-A to USB-C cable.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
And a way to push payloads to your Switch. Some people connect their Switches to their Android phones or have these dedicated injectors but I just use a simple USB-A to USB-C cable.

Ah alright yeah that should be no issue as I have such a cable always on my PC for my phone anyways. Thanks for helping so much, I might get back to this thread once I have a Jig and another SD card.

EDIT: I assume this jig should be fine? https://www.ebay.de/itm/RCM-Clip-To...mebrew-Reisyukaku-ReiNX-SXOS-NEU/323831663368

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Tested Persona 5 through Moonlight + RPCS3, that runs perfectly at 60fps, arguably a way superior experience than the PS4 version. Seriously starting to consider making a thread now that game streaming has been completely blown up on the Switch with the introduction of Nvidia GameStream with Moonlight through LineageOS instead of that In-Home Switching jank.
Awesome, I might get hold of another SD card and give this is a try. I might even have one lying around that I can use to test this. Had a try with the Dolphin emulator yet?

On a somewhat unrelated note, how have you managed a locked 60fps with P5 on RPCS3? I have a 2080ti and an i7 9700k but I can never get anywhere near that. I'd love to play it again after beating the PS3 original, at 60fps, but sense my settings are incorrect.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
So the real question is obviously: How does HL2 run?
But I found this and apparantly it works, so that's great:

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get my joycon to work with Moonlight. Is there some extra step I need to take to get them to work?

Nevermind! Got them working!

Here's some Forza Horizon 4 via Moonlight :))

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch to become the ultimate streaming device for PS4/Xbox ? Color me interested. I love remote play and streaming on ios3 with native controllers already

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's stuff like this that really softens the blow of a console reaching the end of its life.

When the official updates stop, its time to add some unofficial functionality.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Homebrew friends: I'm sure this get asked all the time (and you'll continue to get inundated with these questions now that new models are coming out and people will have extraneous launch Switches lying around just begging to be hacked) but can someone knowledgeable give a quick rundown of how different system emulation is performing? I honestly do try to follow this stuff but so much is so technical and there's no great central repository that I've found with up-to-date info on the various emulators.

I'm assuming NES, SNES, Genesis, GB, GBC, and GBA all work at perfect 60 on Retroarch, but how are N64, PS1, DC, DS, and PSP doing these days? And what are the chances of Dolphin or PCSX2 ever making it on in a playable state?

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Oct 27, 2017
There is the Smach Z, which is a slate based Windows device, though it uses the Steam Controller layout for input. GPD won't make one right now as they believe a keyboard is neccessary for a Windows handheld.

Anyway, if the "pro" Switch is a worthwhile upgrade I might upgrade and play around with this on the OG model. It'll be probably the best Android handheld we'll see for a while, and my Shield Portable has a dodgy digitiser that makes it a pain to play games that need mapping.
Smach z is a scam

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I got everything up and running. The only problem, so far, is making controls work in Moonlight. No control responses work when in Witcher 3. I might try Parsec to stream instead.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems dangerous to hack or mod a Switch. They don't appear to be holding up for long with launch units suffering from multiple issues, and modding it voids the warranty.

Seems like a gamble that nothing will go wrong with your device.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Seems dangerous to hack or mod a Switch. They don't appear to be holding up for long with launch units suffering from multiple issues, and modding it voids the warranty.

Lol. Nothing dangerous about these softmods.
Most issues people face are with the joycons. Those will now be fixed for free by Nintendo.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The value in game streaming alone makes the mod worthy enough to consider buying a second Switch just to use the original as a modded stream machine. Everything else is a bonus.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tested streaming multiple games including AC Origins with Parsec and Steam Link and they all worked really well. Only problem is the L3 and R3 buttons but I might use the switch to play some games like this for now

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Homebrew friends: I'm sure this get asked all the time (and you'll continue to get inundated with these questions now that new models are coming out and people will have extraneous launch Switches lying around just begging to be hacked) but can someone knowledgeable give a quick rundown of how different system emulation is performing? I honestly do try to follow this stuff but so much is so technical and there's no great central repository that I've found with up-to-date info on the various emulators.

I'm assuming NES, SNES, Genesis, GB, GBC, and GBA all work at perfect 60 on Retroarch, but how are N64, PS1, DC, DS, and PSP doing these days? And what are the chances of Dolphin or PCSX2 ever making it on in a playable state?

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
N64 is good but I wouldn't call it amazing. A lot of games work without any overclocking (e.g. Mario 64) but a decent amount still require it in my experience as well as turning off Framebuffer emulation which can cause graphical glitches in some games.

DS is very slow using native Switch emulators but if you install android you can use the Drastic DS emulator from the Play Store which will perform pretty much perfectly.

Dreamcast is very hit and miss. 2D games just flat out don't work and even the games that do work (e.g. SA1) still have fps issues and graphical glitches. This is just speculation but I'd assume using Reicast or Redream on Android would be a much better experience.

PCSX2 is definitely out of the question considering it has no arm port (aside from that one illegal version) and Dolphin isn't too hot on Switch either in my experience needing a lot of tweaks to run most games. iirc vestan managed to get a decent amount of games running well so they'd probably have a better idea than me though.

I don't really know how PSP or PS1 perform since I just use my Vita for those but I assume they'd be mostly fine. I hope I helped you with the others though.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
N64 is good but I wouldn't call it amazing. A lot of games work without any overclocking (e.g. Mario 64) but a decent amount still require it in my experience as well as turning off Framebuffer emulation which can cause graphical glitches in some games.

DS is very slow using native Switch emulators but if you install android you can use the Drastic DS emulator from the Play Store which will perform pretty much perfectly.

Dreamcast is very hit and miss. 2D games just flat out don't work and even the games that do work (e.g. SA1) still have fps issues and graphical glitches. This is just speculation but I'd assume using Reicast or Redream on Android would be a much better experience.

PCSX2 is definitely out of the question considering it has no arm port (aside from that one illegal version) and Dolphin isn't too hot on Switch either in my experience needing a lot of tweaks to run most games. iirc vestan managed to get a decent amount of games running well so they'd probably have a better idea than me though.

I don't really know how PSP or PS1 perform since I just use my Vita for those but I assume they'd be mostly fine. I hope I helped you with the others though.
Awesome, that's the exact breakdown I was looking for, thanks for the help. As soon as the new model comes out I'll definitely be transfering my account and then diving into homebrew with my launch Switch.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Awesome, that's the exact breakdown I was looking for, thanks for the help. As soon as the new model comes out I'll definitely be transfering my account and then diving into homebrew with my launch Switch.
It should be notes that there are basically 3 ways of using emulators on Switch.

1. Using CFW (I'm using atmosphere). The firmware will be almost the same as a stock Switch but able to load homebrew. This means there are tons of native features that are easy to use, like taking screenshots and such.
This one is the most likely to get you banned if you play online, so it is recommended to use an emuNAND. Emulators are mostly via Retroarch and native ports of PPSSPP (which runs great, I'm playing Persona 3 Portable with 3x resolution) and melonDS (very bad).
With this approach you can run all 8-bit and 16-bit console and handhelds, okaysh N64, fixed resolution PSX, pretty good PSP and GBA, poor NDS and Dreamcast ans terrible Saturn.

2. L4T Lakka. Ban safe, this is the Ubuntu port of Lakka. Runs all of the above but had better N64, PSX, DS and Dreamcast, is marginally better emulating Saturn and with some tinkering even Dolphin.
Major caveats though: it only works handheld, only with joy cons attached to the system. It's sleep mode implementation was a bit iffy last time I tried it.

3. Android via LineageOS. Also ban safe. I haven't tested it but supposedly it should boost emulator compatibility to Lakka levels and beyond if there are ARM ports of the desired emus. Comes with the issues specified before in this thread, it is mainly a WIP, bad battery life, etc etc.

Now for a question to the folks who got this running: did anyone try the AM2R Android port? That is like the only reason I'd get this before it gets more stable.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
DsIOrDhWoAENNzI.jpg

I'm definitely keeping my OG Switch when I upgrade.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I'm amazed just how well this works. It has a few documented problems but for a Beta release this is incredibly good.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. This is much better implementation of game stream. I've played some Overwatch, Destiny 2, and Bioshock. Only issue right now is the joycon thumbsticks for me, otherwise this is nearly perfect.