• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
iirc @vestan managed to get a decent amount of games running well so they'd probably have a better idea than me though.
There's actual a decent list of playable GameCube and Wii games on Dolphin running through L4T Lakka like Killer7, TimeSplitters 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Melee, Animal Crossing etc. I'm going to be honest though, the majority of stuff are either way too slow or won't boot at all, so I wouldn't really bother atm. If you really want to play Dolphin on your Switch, the better solution would be to just stream it onto the Switch from your PC.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Tried some more games, Hotline Miami works perfectly, KOTOR crashes on boot tho :(

A lot of these Tegra games either crash or run into some weird DRM errors even though I bought the games...

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Am I doing something wrong or why are my joycons not working at all ?
Go to Bluetooth on LineageOS, press Pair New, get your Joycons and press the small dot button on the side of them, should show up on your screen, press it, then do the same with the other Joy Con and you're good to go.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Go to Bluetooth on LineageOS, press Pair New, get your Joycons and press the small dot button on the side of them, should show up on your screen, press it, then do the same with the other Joy Con and you're good to go.

Damn. Both my joycons have the small ribbons inside them that controls the lights and sl-sr button (probably the pair button too) broken months ago and since I always play with both of them and with switch I never needed to re pair with switch I never bothered to fix them :( Just ordered replacements :(

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Homebrew friends: I'm sure this get asked all the time (and you'll continue to get inundated with these questions now that new models are coming out and people will have extraneous launch Switches lying around just begging to be hacked) but can someone knowledgeable give a quick rundown of how different system emulation is performing? I honestly do try to follow this stuff but so much is so technical and there's no great central repository that I've found with up-to-date info on the various emulators.

I'm assuming NES, SNES, Genesis, GB, GBC, and GBA all work at perfect 60 on Retroarch, but how are N64, PS1, DC, DS, and PSP doing these days? And what are the chances of Dolphin or PCSX2 ever making it on in a playable state?

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Seeing as how PS1 (retroarch), DS (Drastic), and somewhat DC (Reicast) and PSP (PPSSPP) work pretty much perfect on my Shield Portable last I used it, I would imagine the significantly more powerful Tegra X1 hardware would have no issues with these.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

I just paired mine and they seem to work okay, but are the LEDs on the Joycons supposed to keep flashing? I'm used to them being steady when connected to the Switch running normally.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I remember all i really wanted was to have android running on my Vita, to give me a real reason to use it then. I have no need to do this on my current switch, maybe some years down if i get a second switch.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, that's the exact breakdown I was looking for, thanks for the help. As soon as the new model comes out I'll definitely be transfering my account and then diving into homebrew with my launch Switch.

As for PSP it's working perfectly on RA vía homebrew, and the same Dev that ported PPSSPP to Switch RA just released standalone PPSSPP (a Port of standalone PPSSPP that doesn't use RA) And the performance there is even better.

I've been playing through Birth By Sleep, Persona 3, Dissidia 012, And a bunch of other games without issues (GTA:SA I know runs badly but that's about it)

And for N64 as long as you give it full RAM access most games run well there too (I played through Banjo on it without issues, and I Play Mario Kart 64 on there sometimes too)

You could do emuMMC if you want to do it right now and not get banned (I've been running homebrew for 1+ year now and I haven't been banned) but emuMMC is kind of a pain to setup and isn't perfect (you still need to do stuff on the cloned copy afterwards to make sure it can't talk to Nintendo)

Another method people have been doing is just having a straight up different SD Card and running emuMMC there, but I haven't had any issues with it on my 256gb and 2 copies of the switch OS.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
My Switch is currently on 7.0.1. It's one of the exploitable Switches (got it on launch day). I'm curious about all of this stuff but I also want to play Fire Emblem: Three Houses and that apparently requires 8.x.x. It sounds like upgrading the firmware won't lock me out of CFW (and it sounds like future updates probably won't either), but I'm only dimly aware of the pros and cons of upgrading. There was some mention of future non-hardware exploits being easier with 7.0.1 or lower, and private exploits allowing CFW launch without a dongle/RCM jig up to 7.0.1. So my options as I see them are:
  1. Upgrade to 8.1.0, play Fire Emblem, hack Switch afterwards or in the future (I'm not in a huge rush to figure out CFW/Android/emulator stuff)
  2. Hack Switch now, upgrade EmuNAND to 8.1.0, play Fire Emblem? (not sure if this makes sense, dunno whether sysNAND or emuNAND is the thing I need to upgrade)
  3. Don't play Fire Emblem until I can get a new Switch (probably after the new revision is out with improved battery life), THEN hack the old Switch
Are there compelling reasons to take options 2 or 3, or am I just being paranoid about being locked out of stuff that doesn't actually matter?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
My Switch is currently on 7.0.1. It's one of the exploitable Switches (got it on launch day). I'm curious about all of this stuff but I also want to play Fire Emblem: Three Houses and that apparently requires 8.x.x. It sounds like upgrading the firmware won't lock me out of CFW (and it sounds like future updates probably won't either), but I'm only dimly aware of the pros and cons of upgrading. There was some mention of future non-hardware exploits being easier with 7.0.1 or lower, and private exploits allowing CFW launch without a dongle/RCM jig up to 7.0.1. So my options as I see them are:
  1. Upgrade to 8.1.0, play Fire Emblem, hack Switch afterwards or in the future (I'm not in a huge rush to figure out CFW/Android/emulator stuff)
  2. Hack Switch now, upgrade EmuNAND to 8.1.0, play Fire Emblem? (not sure if this makes sense, dunno whether sysNAND or emuNAND is the thing I need to upgrade)
  3. Don't play Fire Emblem until I can get a new Switch (probably after the new revision is out with improved battery life), THEN hack the old Switch
Are there compelling reasons to take options 2 or 3, or am I just being paranoid about being locked out of stuff that doesn't actually matter?

I would just update and play fire emblem, and get a dongle with a jig when you want to hack the switch. The dongles are cheap enough these days. I wouldn't hold your breath on other exploits on 7+ at this point.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think DF is starved for content ideas tbh. They've been consistently killing it.

They've talked about the summer lul several times...

I love me some DF but the Directs are average at best imo. I'd much rather see more older or under the radar game features / comparisons (although I understand they take much more time) than what is essentially doing what a ton of other YT channels already do - talk about the latest news in a panel format.

I'd love a Richard focused show where he goes back in time through the generations and shares his thoughts and insight into the industry / technology considering how deep he was in it in the 90's.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
They've talked about the summer lul several times...

I love me some DF but the Directs are average at best imo. I'd much rather see more older or under the radar game features / comparisons (although I understand they take much more time) than what is essentially doing what a ton of other YT channels already do - talk about the latest news in a panel format.

I'd love a Richard focused show where he goes back in time through the generations and shares his thoughts and insight into the industry / technology considering how deep he was in it in the 90's.
I actually agree, retro DF is best DF.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the topic, but I do have a launch Switch, which I guess means I can easily homebrew it. However, I also plan on getting a "regular" use of my Switch. I don't really play online, but I would like to play the standard Ninty exclusives. Will this basically be a problem if I homebrew it?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An
I would just update and play fire emblem, and get a dongle with a jig when you want to hack the switch. The dongles are cheap enough these days. I wouldn't hold your breath on other exploits on 7+ at this point.
any link to these dongle ? What's the difference with or without ? I'm lost

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Are you guys telling me that there is a Metal Gear Solid 3 version for android? oh my god, how in the hell I didnt knew about this? must try

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's only for Shield TV. Thankfully, this Android installation essentially turns the Switch into a Shield TV.

Can you make it run in another powerful android device even if is not a shield?, even though i want to try that version im not going to homebrew my Switch just yet, im pretty happy buying my games and using the online mode and i dont have need for anything else but i might consider it at the end of Switch life

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
I have some questions regarding this. I hacked the switch yesterday and got Android on it and its great, Steam Link is one of the things I was hoping to be able to use my switch for.
However my question is in regards to launching the switch.
My switch ran out of battery yesterday and when i charged it, it had gone back to the normal switch home screen.
So that means I assume it doesn't just auto launch to android when that SD card is in.
I'm guessing I need to launch to RCM mode every time and select Android?
If this is the case, how do I easily launch into Android? Yesterday when I did it, I had to launch into RCM mode, inject the payload for hekate, and then select Android.
Does this mean I need to get one of those dongle things off of Amazon that I can just plug into the Switches USB C port to launch Hekate easily? Otherwise I need to plug it into my PC and inject the payload everytime?

Besides that its working great and only other question I have is regarding Steam link and if its possible to not use the nintendo switch joycon inputs, since its not correct to most game pads out there. Any help would be great!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I have some questions regarding this. I hacked the switch yesterday and got Android on it and its great, Steam Link is one of the things I was hoping to be able to use my switch for.
However my question is in regards to launching the switch.
My switch ran out of battery yesterday and when i charged it, it had gone back to the normal switch home screen.
So that means I assume it doesn't just auto launch to android when that SD card is in.
I'm guessing I need to launch to RCM mode every time and select Android?
If this is the case, how do I easily launch into Android? Yesterday when I did it, I had to launch into RCM mode, inject the payload for hekate, and then select Android.
Does this mean I need to get one of those dongle things off of Amazon that I can just plug into the Switches USB C port to launch Hekate easily? Otherwise I need to plug it into my PC and inject the payload everytime?

Besides that its working great and only other question I have is regarding Steam link and if its possible to not use the nintendo switch joycon inputs, since its not correct to most game pads out there. Any help would be great!
Enable AutoRCM and push the payload from an Android phone if you have one

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the topic, but I do have a launch Switch, which I guess means I can easily homebrew it. However, I also plan on getting a "regular" use of my Switch. I don't really play online, but I would like to play the standard Ninty exclusives. Will this basically be a problem if I homebrew it?
All of the Android stuff is done on a completely separate SD card, it doesn't touch your sysNAND meaning your Switch is still clean and can thus still go online and play games normally without being banned.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Can you make it run in another powerful android device even if is not a shield?, even though i want to try that version im not going to homebrew my Switch just yet, im pretty happy buying my games and using the online mode and i dont have need for anything else but i might consider it at the end of Switch life
I don't think you can, it requires a Tegra X1 and the nVidia specific drivers.

This doesn't bear any relation to being banned from the online, you boot into RCM mode and into Android from an SD card, and never touch the system storage or the Horizon OS. You can do it (Just like running Linux) without any risk of being banned.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
If I'm not interessted to have a mobile Android Device, is there any benefit in hacking the switch instead of buying a Shield TV?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wait so I can dual boot my switch into this without any risk of being banned? Are you fucking serious? I am so tempted to fill up a 64 GB card I have around with emulators

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Okay so I flashed the image to my SD card. I installed Rekado on my phone (it's USB-C). I have a type C to type C cable to connect my phone to my Switch. What comes next? How do I boot into Android?

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Okay so I flashed the image to my SD card. I installed Rekado on my phone (it's USB-C). I have a type C to type C cable to connect my phone to my Switch. What comes next? How do I boot into Android?

Do you have an RCM jig (this is needed to get the Switch to boot unauthorised software like Hekate).

Presumably your Switch is an older hackable model?

If you have one then follow this guide for the full Android installation process:

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain