• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Another question but has anybody ran into issues with joycons in steam link? It was working yesterday but today for some reason the joycons work on the steam link app but when it launches steam the left one for navigation doesn't work but the right one does for selecting stuff.

A.M.

Community Resettler

Home - Is My Switch Patched?

Is My Switch Patched? Checker for your Switch Serial Number!

Looks like you're in the 'maybe' range. Buy a jig for $1 and see if it enters RCM mode?

Aghhhhh, one whole dollar? That's breaking the bank there. Eesh.
(I'm joking, of course.)

I'll order one and check it through that method. Cheers!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I'm very tempted to do this.

Once PS4 Remote Play is confirmed to work, I'm in.

I have a 400GB SD card. Would it be reasonable to keep a few installs to switch between? Maybe around 64GB each for Shield and some flavour of Switch home brew for emulation, and the remaining space for my legit Switch firmware?

Can I reasonably stay safe from a hardware ban as long as I don't mod my legit Switch NAND?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Got everything running and bought Half-Life 2 (it's 10 bucks for the base game + 9 bucks per episode - wow). It's apparantly 600p (and doesn't fill the whole screen for some reason) and framerate isn't exactly stable, but I've been having a blast so far :D

Being able to play this on the Switch is unreal.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to get this but only if it literally takes five minutes or less to set up (reading guides included) and if I don't have to do it every time I turn the console off and on again.

Is this possible?

Miopia

May 10, 2018
I want to get this but only if it literally takes five minutes or less to set up (reading guides included) and if I don't have to do it every time I turn the console off and on again.

Is this possible?

Between de SD card preparation and the actual instalation, it takes something like one and a half hours. And if you totally turn of the Switch, you'll have to redo the payload thingy again.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Oh fuck, the analog sticks work now! GTA: SA, Bully and GTA: VC are fully playable now!!

EDIT: Meh, the analog sticks are treated as D-pads with this 'fix' so it feels kinda janky to use. GTA: SA and VC is fine but Bully feels weird to control.

Last edited:

Many Peaks

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
I managed to get as far as the Android setup process, but it was so slow and unresponsive it was pretty much impossible to use. I assume this is down to my SD card being slow? What's a decent minimum I need?

Nov 8, 2017
I'm undecided if I want to homebrew my Switch. I was hoping for a clear, unambiguous Pro model upgrade so I could retire my launch switch to homebrew beast and use the upgrade, but now that it's just a battery life boost and a mini that can't dock, neither appeals to me majorly. Hmmm.

Very few reasons to fully power off your switch rather than use Standby (tiny power drain) so unless the battery drains completely or you're someone who has an issue using standby mode, it wouldn't come up often.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Testing Dolphin out now, Super Mario Galaxy 2 runs with zero graphical issues but it's a bit slow.

Did anyone answer this?
Yes, on page 5

LeyFD9w.png

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Also here's someone running Wind Waker on the Android version of Dolphin, way better than L4T Lakka it seems with no overclocking required

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Pushing a payload and setting up Android is not the same thing

Obviously the Android setup is going to take a while cuz ur flashing a whole ROM to your SD card but once it's done, you're golden. If you turn your Switch off, you'll have to push a hekate payload to your system in order to access Android again.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Got everything running and bought Half-Life 2 (it's 10 bucks for the base game + 9 bucks per episode - wow). It's apparantly 600p (and doesn't fill the whole screen for some reason) and framerate isn't exactly stable, but I've been having a blast so far :D

Being able to play this on the Switch is unreal.
Have you tried docking it and changing the power profile to see if the resolution changes?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be fair I haven't read in to the ins-and-outs of what to do, I just got spooked by the idea of having to do something every single time you turn the console on. I'll read up on what to do properly.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried docking it and changing the power profile to see if the resolution changes?

I don't dock my Switch, but res seems to be fixed at 600p anyway according to DF (yes, they actually made an article about this port back in the day lol). And even on the highest performance setting, framerate was still unstable.

I wish connecting it via USB to my PC worked, so I could look at the files to see whether it's just a config change. I bet there is GPU headroom here for more.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't dock my Switch, but res seems to be fixed at 600p anyway according to DF (yes, they actually made an article about this port back in the day lol). And even on the highest performance setting, framerate was still unstable.

I wish connecting it via USB to my PC worked, so I could look at the files to see whether it's just a config change. I bet there is GPU headroom here for more.
I thought Half Life 2 ran at 1080p on the Shield TV. Maybe it runs at 600p on the Shield Tablet. Which is why I ask about the power profiles, maybe booting the game in a higher power profile makes it run at a higher resolution.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Half Life 2 ran at 1080p on the Shield TV. Maybe it runs at 600p on the Shield Tablet. Which is why I ask about the power profiles, maybe booting the game in a higher power profile makes it run at a higher resolution.

Huh

I didn't know about the tablet.
Maybe it's actually outputting 1080p then and that's why it keeps chugging?

All I noticed is that texture filtering didn't seem as bad as DF pointed it out to be (quite the opposite), so maybe?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Huh

I didn't know about the tablet.
Maybe it's actually outputting 1080p then and that's why it keeps chugging?

All I noticed is that texture filtering didn't seem as bad as DF pointed it out to be (quite the opposite), so maybe?
I would imagine it runs like it would on the Shield TV, but the performance itself also depends on the CPU and GPU frequency and apparently (According to digital foundry), on the performance of the storage as well.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Question about this:

I've a hackable switch, but my firmware is pretty high. As I understand it, this means that the hack isn't permanent - it goes away every time I turn the switch off.

So if I want to alternate between Android and regular Switch usage, would I have to re-hack my Switch every time I wanted to...well, switch between the two of them?

Miopia

May 10, 2018
Alright, so I'm very tempted to do this.

Once PS4 Remote Play is confirmed to work, I'm in.

I have a 400GB SD card. Would it be reasonable to keep a few installs to switch between? Maybe around 64GB each for Shield and some flavour of Switch home brew for emulation, and the remaining space for my legit Switch firmware?

Can I reasonably stay safe from a hardware ban as long as I don't mod my legit Switch NAND?

You'll need an exclusive SD Card for Android, man. And you'll be totally safe using this, because the exploit works in the bootloader, before anything oficial happens.

Question about this:

I've a hackable switch, but my firmware is pretty high. As I understand it, this means that the hack isn't permanent - it goes away every time I turn the switch off.

So if I want to alternate between Android and regular Switch usage, would I have to re-hack my Switch every time I wanted to...well, switch between the two of them?

Yes, but It is a very quick procedure, using a PC, an Android phone or a Payload injector.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Question about this:

Firmware doesn't mean anything regarding the ability to hack your Switch as long as you have an un-ipatched device. RCM (ReCovery Mode) will continue to be hackable as its before Switch OS (Horizon) loads up.

The Switch currently lacks a coldboot hack (the ability to do a full power off into hekate into cfw) unless you hardmod your Switch. Requires opening up your Switch and installing a modchip onto the system itself to inject hekate payload.

Hekate bootloader is what is used to go into cfw/anything else. There are ways to inject the payload from your phone, computer, etc. But yes, every time you do a full reset of your Switch (power down -> power up) you will need to reinject the payload to access cfw.

Keep in mind, I believe its being recommended at least for now to have to separate sd cards (one for Switch, one for Android)

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Yes, but It is a very quick procedure, using a PC, an Android phone or a Payload injector.

Firmware doesn't mean anything regarding the ability to hack your Switch as long as you have an un-ipatched device. RCM (ReCovery Mode) will continue to be hackable

The Switch currently lacks a coldboot hack (the ability to do a full power off into hekate into cfw) unless you hardmod your Switch. Requires opening up your Switch and installing a modchip onto the system itself to inject hekate payload.

Hekate bootloader is what is used to go into cfw/anything else. There are ways to inject the payload from your phone, computer, etc. But yes, every time you do a full reset of your Switch (power down -> power up) you will need to reinject the payload to access cfw.

Keep in mind, I believe its being recommended at least for now to have to separate sd cards (one for Switch, one for Android)

Got it, thanks! Sounds like I need to invest in...

2 SD cards(one for CFW, one for Switch) because I'm one of those weird people that has a launch Switch but never got an SD card
USB C cable to connect to my pc because somehow, apparently I don't have one.
Some dongle thingy to trigger RCM because I don't trust myself with a paperclip

Then I should be home free, right?