• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So major improvements to Lakka have been made these past few weeks, this includes audio now working through the Switch speakers and the new GPU driver having Vulkan support + increased RAM clock speeds. Naturally, a bunch of games have benefited from this. Here's a video of someone playing Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road Victory through Dolphin's Wii emulator, it's basically perfect.

Here's some Twilight Princess too! Although this could definitely use more work. (click the image to watch)

As far as GameCube games are concerned, TimeSplitters 2 runs PERFECTLY. Here's me playing it.

Other GameCube games that run great and can be completed from start to finish are

• Animal Crossing
  • Killer7
  • Rayman 3
  • Budokai 2
  • Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.
Here's a video showcasing Animal Crossing (not mine, although I've tried it for myself and it's great) (credit to reddit user /u/kidnidi on this one)

Basically all Dreamcast games run perfectly thanks to the Reicast team porting it over to the Switch. Playing something like Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Marvel vs Capcom 2 or Soul Calibur on a Switch feels surreal. This video below illustrates how well they perform.

Melee runs at full speed most of the time, there's some slowdown here and there though.

Sunshine runs but the performance is a bit inconsistent with some areas at full speed and others like Delfino Plaza sitting at under 20 fps with major audio issues although I'd imagine it'll be in a much better state a few months down the line.

Between all of this and most N64 games being playable at full speed, the Switch homebrew community is on a godlike streak. What do you think, Era?

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's amazing. I won't bother with homebrew but great for those that like this type of thing

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This looks great. I've already been enjoying a ton of emulation with retroarch and I even have my own custom icons to go with it now

D64t6PyW4AArZEf.jpg

I'll probably install Lakka when I'm done replaying all my classic retro games

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
Whatever happened to that China-only release of Mario Galaxy on Nvidia Shield? Have they still not brought that over on the Switch?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Def really interested in this when the smaller Switch gets released.

Hope that iteration is hackable

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great. I've already been enjoying a ton of emulation with retroarch and I even have my own custom icons to go with it now

D64t6PyW4AArZEf.jpg

Oh damn teach me your ways senpai. I barely even buy games for my switch so hacking it and ripping my old games might be a better use of it's time.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Def really interested in this when the smaller Switch gets released.

Hope that iteration is hackable
Yeah, would be so dope. I like the Switch but I think it's a bit too bulky in handheld mode. All of these homebrew features in a smaller form factor would be the best handheld system hands down.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo could make so much money if GC and the rest of the back catalog were added to the eShop/NSO.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

D64t6PyW4AArZEf.jpg

Thos Icons are fucking classy. That's some nice work Sir/Madam. You are really making me wish we had custom icon support as well as more virtual console games to buy.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo doesn't get me at least my N64flix, what's to really stop me from fiddling with my launch Switch after I pick up a Pro console?
y4a7iRj.png

ASMbly

Nov 13, 2017
So, is the Switch still moddable on the latest FW?

Older Switch models have a hardware exploit that cannot be fixed by any firmware update, meaning that any firmware can be hacked as long as the developers for the CFW keep up with development. Newer models have this exploit fixed, and so can only be hacked on very old FW versions and do not give the same degree of control over the system.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Promoting Piracy
Mod Edit: Removed screenshot depicting piracy tools.

EDIT: Yeah ya'll something.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Oh damn teach me your ways senpai. I barely even buy games for my switch so hacking it and ripping my old games might be a better use of it's time.
So, is the Switch still moddable on the latest FW?
As long as you have a switch before July 2018

If not then there is a another way that apparently wasn't released yet last i checked but it was fixed by Nintendo on 8.0

So if you have a >July Switch and >=8.0 firmware you're doneso

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you have a switch before July 2018

If not then there is a another way that apparently wasn't released yet last i checked but it was fixed by Nintendo on 8.0

So if you have a >July Switch and >=8.0 firmware you're doneso
Can you still take your switch online if you do this?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Just got Killer7 up and running on this and it works perfectly. This is actually insane. Going to try Viewtiful Joe next.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Those are pretty tasty.

If that's what hobbyists can do, imagine what Nintendo could do with the original hardware documentation.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I got my Switch since I assumed we'd get GameCube games on VC for it. Two years later....

šŸ˜­

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo... What are you doing? Just give me Eternal Darkness on the GC VC... I'll drop all my money on that straight away!

Wii and Gamecube is really shit tier hardware , switch can run 3 wii games at same time.
Man, that OG Xbox and PS2 were garbage... Have you seen the original PlayStation, N64 and Saturn? Now those were straight up dumpster fires!

Pancracio17

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
When the Switch Pro comes out ill mod my Switch and isntall homebrew. Super Mario Galaxy on the go sounds fun.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Fwiw, I think what Vestan/OP is referring to and what others are posting screenshots of are two different things.

Lakka is it's own OS (Linux 4 Tegra/L4T as it's base) that boots from an SD card and only runs Retroarch, doesn't touch internal storage at all (ie. is undetectable).

Others are posting modified versions of the Switch OS which can either be run via modifying the OS on the internal storage (very likely to cop a ban if you don't know what you're doing) or a modified Switch OS that's mirrored on an SD card (called EmuNAND). The EmuNAND I believe can still get you banned, unless you have a DNS that blocks Nintendo's servers or just never go online.

I've always gone the Lakka route because I'm deathly paranoid about getting my Switch banned, but this means I can't get all the clean, gorgeous-looking UI/icons that others have posted here.

Note: Some minor details I've mentioned above are probably wrong, but happy to be corrected :) Most likely the EmuNAND stuff, I've only started reading about that recently.

PS. Saturn:
9OyPEurl.jpg

Dreamcast:
wa2Dklkl.jpg

Arcade:
nKL3TK7l.jpg

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo 'here have some nice NES games....'
Lord almighty when will they get their back catalogue in order.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Those are pretty tasty.

If that's what hobbyists can do, imagine what Nintendo could do with the original hardware documentation.
The build of Lakka that OP is talking about runs on L4T/Linux 4 Tegra, which is *made* by nVidia. It's basically like having a Switch devkit from what I understand, only you're not developing for the Switch OS. Depends on which has the lower overhead, I guess.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And now I've purchased a recovery jig because of this thread. Now to wait for the shipment to arrive in a couple weeks... (Yes, my Switch model shooooooooould be hackable. S/N XAW70004xxxxxx)

Others are posting modified versions of the Switch OS which can either be run via modifying the OS on the internal storage (very likely to cop a ban if you don't know what you're doing) or a modified Switch OS that's mirrored on an SD card (called EmuNAND). The EmuNAND I believe can still get you banned, unless you have a DNS that blocks Nintendo's servers or just never go online.

So would you be able to switch between the EmuNAND and the SysNAND without getting detected so long as your EmuNAND is on that DNS that blocks Nintendo's servers? Those icons almost make me wanna do it.

Last edited:

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Ok, I might have to keep my Switch when the Pro model launches.

Do the N64 games run at a higher resolution and more stable frame rate than they do on original hardware?

Last edited:

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Fwiw, I think what Vestan/OP is referring to and what others are posting screenshots of are two different things.

Lakka is it's own OS (Linux 4 Tegra/L4T as it's base) that boots from an SD card and only runs Retroarch, doesn't touch internal storage at all (ie. is undetectable).

I've always gone the Lakka route because I'm deathly paranoid about getting my Switch banned, but this means I can't get all the clean, gorgeous-looking UI/icons that others have posted here.

Note: Some minor details I've mentioned above are probably wrong, but happy to be corrected :) Most likely the EmuNAND stuff, I've only started reading about that recently.
How's Saturn and PSX emulation?