• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Where can I find a guide for this?

Edit: Did some digging. That's way too much effort (I'm on SX OS).

Last edited:

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
It's absolutely obvious why Nintendo or any hardware developer is not going to allow those things.

It is not worth discussing.
I think, at the very least, it's worth discussing... I would not have known about these possible performance improvements had the OP not posted this on this discussion forum.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
Why are you being this hostile over a pretty vanilla forum topic?
Why are you accusing him of being hostile? He is just expressing his opinion on the matter.

In any case OP, you have no right of being irritated at Nintendo.
What you are doing is at your own risk, and you can easily brick/melt/detonate your Switch if you are not careful.
Each thing you pointed out is a design choice, aimed to work around the limitation of the machine. The defective units must be in the order of 3.4 per million, and allowing the used to set clock speeds would exponentially increase the chances of failure under warranty (people are dumb).
I agree that the sharpening filter is a bit too aggressive, but looking at the before/after picture I understand why they included it. It's a rather blurry mess.

In the end, I think you should try to see the bigger picture, and understand their mindset when they made those choices.
Complaining is easy, making decisions is not.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I guess it makes sense for a company to just blanked ban this type of thing with a zero tolerance attitude instead of allowing grey areas for people to take advantage of. Or before you know it the Switch becomes home of piracy and ROMs. Which is something no platform holder wants as it means 3rd parties are less likely to want to publish games on a device that is synonymous with piracy.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Because you are not the centre of the universe and the absolute grand majority of Switch owners does not give a flying fuck about your unreasonable wishes and dreams.
A relatively small scale JRPG does not get extensive engine rewrites so that Asbsand doesn't have to deal with it's " unbearable" sharpening filter years after launch when it worked adequately well on day one.

Like you can make a laundry list of "Why doesn't *console manufacturer* allow me to *thing*" and the answer is almost always " because it would take too much effort to satisfy the handful of people who'd care".
What the hell, it doesn't require an engine re-write if a small mod than changes the config file of the game can do it. It's literally a toggle, and the sharpening filter of the game is fucking trash and ruins the image quality when other games running at that resolution look just fine.
Most games crash anyways if you go max clockspeed and there's potential for permanent damage as you said. With docked clocks in handheld mode without a charger you can get like 1.5 hours of battery though, but the charger should be used anyway just to be sure I guess.
Most games will not even benefit from the increased resolution, due to lots of hardware and software bottlenecks existing. What's the point of running the CPU at 1.8GHZ if there is a 30FPS cap, or to increase the GPU frequency if there is a resolution cap? The best use is to overclock the portable mode ONLY WHILE PLUGGED IN, if you can bear the fan noise.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Really this seems like less of an argument for allowing homebrew, and more an argument for console games including PC-like graphical settings options.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If that is hostile then the OP is too against Nintendo.
Sure, that's not what I'd call diplomatic, but probably not worth derailing the thread for.
It wasn't derailing the thread until you bizarrely decided to take umbrage with calling this 'hostile':
Because you are not the centre of the universe and the absolute grand majority of Switch owners does not give a flying fuck about your unreasonable wishes and dreams.
I was replying to a poster wondering what about the OP got him so aggressive.
So, if you want to stop derailing then perhaps leave it at that and for that person to respond.

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost as if the chosen clock speeds are the most reliable ones for durability on a mass market scale, and that anecdotal experience is absolutely worthless at determining what can be done for a commercial product where warranty, legal obligations and liabilities have to be considered.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I looked at that screenshot on my phone, which has smaller a screen than the Switch, and it still looks super blurry. The sharpening filter one looks better

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't derailing the thread until you bizarrely decided to take umbrage with calling this 'hostile':

I was replying to a poster wondering what about the OP got him so aggressive.
So, if you want to stop derailing then perhaps leave it at that and for that person to respond.
considering the poster you quoted literally said the OP has "no right of being irritated at Nintendo", it's not surprising they're this way

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fry it. Fry it!

2oHzbXy.gif

Nobody ever fries anything anymore. :(