• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hey ERA, I put together some charts to show how the Switch stacks up against other historical systems. The following data is based on Nintendo's latest FY2020 earnings and compares both hardware and software.

Some highlights:

Hardware
  • Switch is 7th best-selling Nintendo hardware
  • NSW is 6.14 million units away from beating NES lifetime sales
  • If Switch sells 20 million in FY2021, it'll beat 3DS hardware sales
  • Total Switch sales are at 55.77 million, up 60% cumulatively YoY
  • Nintendo sold 21.03 million Switches in FY2020, up 24% YoY

fJaFyBG.png

Software

• Total cumulative Switch software sales are at 356.24 million, up 89% from FY2019
  • Switch SW should beat GBA, 3DS, and SNES software sales in FY2021
  • Nintendo sold 168.72 million Switch games in FY2020
  • 82.8% of software sales were first-party games (139.7 million)
  • Animal Crossing made up nearly 7% of total games sold in the year

S19XvZD.png

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The fact that Switch software is about to pass 3DS despite a massive hardware gap is unreal.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Switch software is about to pass 3DS despite a massive hardware gap is unreal.

The Switch is ahead by about 1.3 games per console, which doesn't surprise me that much thanks to the huge digital library available on it, including a lot of small/cheap indie games. It's a long long time since I used my 3DS but apart from the big Nintendo games I just feel there was less to play on it. Could be wrong, going from memory.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is ahead by about 1.3 games per console, which doesn't surprise me that much thanks to the huge digital library available on it, including a lot of small/cheap indie games. It's a long long time since I used my 3DS but apart from the big Nintendo games I just feel there was less to play on it. Could be wrong, going from memory.

Nintendo only includes games that have a packaged release in those software figures, I'm not sure how that works for games which have a later, limited release but digital only games are not included in those figures.

The actual amount of software sold on Switch will dwarf the 3DS.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
It'll probably overtake NES, in software, putting it in 3rd, assuming a repeat from this year or better.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is a beast in terms of software - nearly caught up to lifetime 3DS already.
Not even including digital only content games.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
What was DS and Wii software sales after 3 years compared to switch? Is that information available?

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I worry that Switch needs to be doing a lot better considering that they've now merged their handheld and console lines.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
What was DS and Wii software sales after 3 years compared to switch? Is that information available?
Wii(FY ending march 2009):353m
DS(FY ending march 2006):183m
Switch:356m

Slightly ahead of Wii, and worlds ahead of DS.

I worry that Switch needs to be doing a lot better considering that they've now merged their handheld and console lines.

That was and always will be a incredibly stupid way to look at sales.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

It need not.

Plus, there are other indicators to take into account when measuring a product's performance. In the case of Switch:
  • margins on units of hardware sold (Switch never sold below cost unlike 3DS during its first years);
  • digital sales (where margins are way bigger);
  • sales of accessories;
  • sales of third party games.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
At 55m units sold, Switch is very close to GBA and 3DS in software sales, both have sold at least 20m more than Switch. People buying more games on Switch, despite the $20 difference in first party software prices.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
We need to compare Switch vs other handheld and not vs handheld + consoles combined.

I was expecting more than 6 million Lite units.

I bought one because I got it Day1 for 169€ (199- 30 immediate cashback).
Guessed more people would be interested in the handheld console only and cheaper price.

I bought a Switch for both my nephews. Today i would have bought them the Lite version.

People buying more games on Switch, despite the $20 difference in first party software prices.

I guess this is due to more third party, especially indie games. I am using my Lite for all those low poly games that don't need the power of my PC/Pro.
Also, the average age of this console is probably higher than 2DS/3DS.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Because putting the bar at Wii+DS combined would mean 250m devices, 100m more than the best selling gaming device ever.

Similarily, SW combined for Wii+DS is almost 2 billion.

Right, so let's say Switch does 125 M lifetime, you think the 125 M fewer hardware sold in a generation is of no concern to them?

I'm not expecting the Switch to do 250 M, but I think it needs to beat the DS.

Does the PS4 have to sell as well as PSP+PS3?

If they wanted their total hardware numbers to grow then...yes?

Mar 31, 2018
DS and Wii were such giants holy shit. Those software sales...
They were very high sales. It should also be mentioned that on the Nintendo DS, illegal flash cards were very popular, even with the mainstream. I wouldn't be surprised if half of Nintendo DS owners had one. A lot of Nintendo DS games were played illegally. If these figures were included, the number would be unseen, at least double that of Wii software.

Ten years ago, a Dutch survey showed that 62% of Nintendo DS owners had Flash cards such as R4. This has had a bad influence on the software sales

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
1 more year needed to have NES and potentially 3DS. 2 more years before it takes GBA.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Right, so let's say Switch does 125 M lifetime, you think the 125 M fewer hardware sold in a generation is of no concern to them?

I'm not expecting the Switch to do 250 M, but I think it needs to beat the DS.

If they wanted their total hardware numbers to grow then...yes?
Many people had both a DS and a Wii. They now only need the Switch. It doesn't need to sell even more than that to bring in more money which was what you were asking

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo hit it out of the park with the switch, their handheld game is on point.
Kudos

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Many people had both a DS and a Wii. They now only need the Switch. It doesn't need to sell even more than that to bring in more money which was what you were asking

So they can make more from Switch than from DS/Wii combined?

I'm not doubting you, this is what I'm hoping will happen. Do you have figures showing they're on course to achieve this?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch has to be the most successful console ever or it's a failure.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So they can make more from Switch than from DS/Wii combined?

I'm not doubting you, this is what I'm hoping will happen. Do you have figures showing they're on course to achieve this?
It's a different time. Their business model has changed and now includes a paid online service, digital sales, mobile games, expanded use of their IPs, and more. Which is why just looking at HW sales doesn't tell the whole story

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I guess this is due to more third party, especially indie games. I am using my Lite for all those low poly games that don't need the power of my PC/Pro.
I read somewhere that the software number doesnt include games without retail release. So if we include, it will be much higher than that.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Not really.
First digital only indies are not even counted for these SW sales, and second the vast majority of SW sales come from First party(this year it was 82%, the others werent much lower)

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Wii(FY ending march 2009):353m
DS(FY ending march 2006):183m
Switch:356m

Slightly ahead of Wii, and worlds ahead of DS.

That was and always will be a incredibly stupid way to look at sales.
Aren't those less than 3 years though? For example, the DS should be until 2007 Dec and Wii until 2009 Dec?

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Digital only games are not counted for unlike sony

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
At 55m units sold, Switch is very close to GBA and 3DS in software sales, both have sold at least 20m more than Switch. People buying more games on Switch, despite the $20 difference in first party software prices.

To be fair handhelds have always had far lower tie ratios so it's not that surprising. For example PS3 sold more software than DS despite selling like 70 million units less hw. Wii also got close to DS in sw despite over 50 million gap in hw. Switch is just selling software like home console and not handheld.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thanks for the graphs OP
switch is a huge software seller machine. at least for me it just makes me wanna buy and play games more than any system before.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
I'd say the impact of the covid-19 will greatly impact the sales of the current fiscal year and will probably hold back the overal numbers of the system by the end of its life by some millions.
In the end of its lifecycle, it will probably rank between the Wii and the GBA HW sales - which would mean that switch overal sales are somewhat the sum of the wiiU and the 3ds lifecycle sales, and that is pretty interesting

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but just barely. Sony's final reported PSP figure was 76.4m in 2012.

I really don't know why they gave us that as of march 2012 number when actual total must be millions higher. In Japan alone PSP still sold over 1 million after that date. As far as I remember last shipments for PSP were like in late 2014 in Europe.