• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
arqer-1024x578.png

According to YouTube channel Spawn Wave, although the sticks present in the Switch Lite feature different part numbers from the original Switch, they otherwise appear to be identical in design.

Spawn Wave host Jonathan Downey speculated that Nintendo could have used different materials to improve the sticks, but there isn't any evidence to suggest this.

"It appears to be the same design," said Downey. "Even inside it looks very, very similar with the pads and everything. Maybe Nintendo made some small differences with the materials they're using here, but from what I can tell it looks the same right now."

Article

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Oh, damn. Can only hope that Nintendo has done anything to tackle the drift issue, even though it might not be visible. But who am I kidding?!

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the sticks look the same, but the housing is not. It's different like in the new switch models. Dunno what that really means, myself.

FpkOMgN.jpg

New housing on the right.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Let's wait a few months to see if those sticks did or did not address the issue.
If there's still drift, that'll be highway robbery and Nintendo won't have an excuse.
Even if I was interested in the lite (I'm not), I would wait at least a year before buying one.

Sep 15, 2019
They aren't the same analog sticks as the original, these are an updated version which we've already seen in Joycons out in the wild but aren't sure of the long term durability here.

Not sure why watching the video and accurately reporting what was found has been so difficult on this one, especially when Jason is very thorough and clear on these things plus he's been covering it for awhile now going into part model numbers and everything.

These aren't the same as the original Joycon though.

Apr 21, 2018
I suppose we'll have to wait another couple of weeks to know whether the Switch Lite has drift issues. That'd be a pretty big issue if it did.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can feel my interest in the Lite starting to drift

Has the drift issue improved with the hardware revision of the main Switch?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I got an early switch and the joycons are still perfectly fine so hope thats the case on a large scale now

Oct 25, 2017
My five sets haven't failed me yet. But yeah I'm hoping the new green joycons from Best Buy are the "new" models from the new sku.

Sep 15, 2019
My five sets haven't failed me yet. But yeah I'm hoping the new green joycons from Best Buy are the "new" models from the new sku.

Had my Switch since just before Splatoon 2 released and have three sets of Joycons; Neon Blue/Red, Mario Odyssey Red, Splatoon 2 Neon Green/Pink from Japan. None have experienced any issues despite getting heavy use and regularly being rotated in for play.

Actually have a Splatoon 2 Pro Controller but rarely use it since I kind of prefer the Joycons.

Feels like I've gotten lucky up to this point so holding off on purchasing more Joycons (really want to complete my Splatoon 2 set with a North American pair) until I know the problems are completely solved. From the sounds of things it might just come down to the materials used within the Joycons themselves and not a true design flaw requiring a full blown redesign.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I mean, I didn't experience Joy Con drift myself yet, but both of my left Joy Cons starting having issues with input recognition a while ago (when pressing down and walking in Let's Go e.g., the character on screen doesn't start running, rather walks slowly as if I'm only slightly tilting the stick, even though I'm actually moving it down all the way). And thanks to Nintendo Europe's stubbornness, I'm definitely going to be more picky about buying another set / new Switch hardware.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Forcing consumers to buy a new $200 handheld every few months out of necessity is one hell of a business idea. Nintendo is playing 4D chess out here.

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder how many people are gonna squash their sticks and ruin them by putting the Lite in pockets and other tight spaces and blame Nintendo for it.

Oct 27, 2017
This and the d pad means I will wait a while more to grab a Switch.

Nintendo used to have quality hardware before the DS. What the hell happened?

A lot of Gameboys still work perfectly to this day so this is just puzzling to see.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
or y'kno...you can send it to Nintendo to get repaired. there's this thing called warranty.
Warranties only last so long. When you buy a video game console you're not expecting to rent it for two years and then have to repair or replace. This wouldn't be a huge issue if it wasn't so widespread, it's shocking Nintendo haven't tried to fix this for the new model. It'll bite Nintendo in the backside though, and Nintendo will respond much like they have done already in the US. It's just a shame.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Forcing consumers to buy a new $200 handheld every few months out of necessity is one hell of a business idea. Nintendo is playing 4D chess out here.

Someone high up in the Mushroom Kingdom saw money being left on the table and said if we meld the joycons to the unit they'll have to replace the full monty. Genius.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I was thinking of buying a Lite for Pokemon, but now I think I'll just get the regular model. Buying a new joycon is one thing, having to buy an entire new console is another.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Had to fix my Joycon drift this morning, took 20 mins to replace the analogue stick, this really shouldn't happen. I think the biggest disappointment of the Switch. Only because Nintendo used to have the best hardware regards analogue sticks and d pads IMO. This just seems like a huge step down in what I can only imagine would be a few pennies extra in build quality.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
This and the d pad means I will wait a while more to grab a Switch.

Nintendo used to have quality hardware before the DS. What the hell happened?

A lot of Gameboys still work perfectly to this day so this is just puzzling to see.
Cutting cost lowers quality.

For my launch switch I haven't had any problems. I've also changed the joycons so that they have a see through plastic 😊

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I hope the Switch Lite sticks do get drift in a few months. Why? Because the Switch Lite, being a full console without controllers that can be replaced, will cause a much bigger shitstorm for Nintendo. And Nintendo deserve a big fucking shitstorm for knowingly selling faulty goods for years. The more heat that comes on Nintendo the higher the chance they'll do something about it.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like they changed the L/R3 mechanism. Maybe doing stick button-pushes was scraping the contacts causing drift?