• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you rate the Switch Lite d-pad for hard platformers?

• I love it! It's excellent.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • I like it, but it could've been a better gamepad.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey folks. I bought a ton of Metroidvanias on my Switch Lite since I got it, and I got Celeste today as well (66% off on NA Eshop). It might just be me getting used to it, but the d-pad didn't really feel up to snuff in Celeste to me, but okay in Hollow Knight.

I think the gamepad is decent and works okay (if you didn't get one of the defective d-pads), but the mushiness and smallness is proving to be a bit of a hurdle for me, even though I have a grip for the console. I was wondering about your experiences with hard 2D platformers on the Lite.

Feel free to mention if you prefer the Joy-Con buttons or the left analog stick to it, or vice versa!

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
fwiw, celeste is designed around using the thumbstick. try using it even though it feels against the nature of the genre. it works quite well.

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
i like it but i havent played many platformers since i got the lite. but i didnt mind the OG switch "d pad" either. I'm not picky.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm not sure how common this opinion is, but the Lite's dpad is actually one of my favourite for any controller. It's got the right clickiness to sponginess ratio. It's a good size and I'm not having any of the diagonal issues some people report. I use it on platformers like Impossible Lair and Bloodstained.

My favourite dpad before this one was the one on the GameBoy Micro.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
It's mushy and not very enjoyable to use. Playing platformers on the vita is a much more enjoyable experience. I also can't play fighting games with it. It's not a good dpad

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing Mega Man 11 and it seems ok. Still not as good as it could be but way better than the buttons they had on the OG Switch

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's mushy and not very enjoyable to use. Playing platformers on the vita is a much more enjoyable experience. I also can't play fighting games with it. It's not a good dpad
The Vita d-pad is the best-feeling button on any controller I've ever used. It's astounding and frankly it's the reason I keep my Vita CFW'd.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's only okay. It felt kinda loose and a bit too squishy. Like, I do like a bit of squish personally but the Lite's was a bit excessive.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I liked it just fine, but then I spent a bit of time playing the same games on my regular Switch using an 8Bitdo M30. The Switch Lite dpad is ok, but when you directly compare to the best dpads out there it is easy to see its flaws.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine feel wise but I think my hands are too big for it or something Because they cramp after an hour or so. I end up using a joystick more often even though I use Dpad for those kinds of games on every other platform