• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Joy-Con drift issue is partially related to the controllers communicating wirelessly. Since I would assume that the Switch Lite controllers, since they are physically attached to the tablet, no wireless communication is being used to allow the controllers to communicate with the system, only wireless communications for the Switch Lite would be for internet and the amiibos.

When the joycon are attached to the Switch, aren't they communicating with the Switch via a physical connection? A lot of people who have the issue pretty much play exclusively in handheld mode.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Man its crazy how small it actually looks to me. I have giant hands and I really dont think I could hold that thing comfortably. The regular switch is already a challenge.

Where is my Switch XL for people with Wookie hands??!

Wow, so much insight

He could have been more descriptive, I agree, but hes right. It has nothing to do with wireless communications. Its a hardware problem. Mine drifts whether its connected wirelessly or not, same with everyone elses.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Wish it came out a week earlier over in the UK! I'll have to see each colour in person before I bite but I'm leaning towards turquoise the most.

I do wish the Lite was a little smaller though, PS Vita size would've been perfect.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who noticed its being put on the 3ds stand lmao. Them parents buying the 3ds for their kids. Good move.

Jun 23, 2019
It'd be a pretty useless distinction of a product if it was the exact same size as a regular Switch.
Really? Not every criticism of the device is an attack on it. Maybe I have large hands and mainly use mine in Portable Mode and was hoping with the expanded battery life that the actual device would be a good enough size for a portable version compared to the original Switch. Nah, I'm just talking shit. 🙄

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Not every criticism of the device is an attack on it. Maybe I have large hands and mainly use mine in Portable Mode and was hoping with the expanded battery life that the actual device would be a good enough size for a portable version compared to the original Switch. Nah, I'm just talking shit. 🙄
No I agree. I don't like joycons I just want one unit and a real dpad.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, they just put out a new Switch revision with double battery.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to sell a lot. I feel it.

By the way, if the Lite receive a bundle with a game, you always receive a code to add to your account right?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Who said you were attacking it? If you cut down the amount of distinguishing factors from a product that already exists, there's less of a point of it existing. Why wouldn't you just get the new regular Switch that likewise has an improved battery?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I have been toying with the idea of cancelling my preorder since the new Switch with bigger battery has been enough so far but I might end-up keeping it if the Lite arrives sooner than expected (and maybe if the yellow version ends-up being better looking in person).

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, they didnt have to put that store on blast. Now this probably wont happen again there.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Now someone take it apart and let us know if the analog stick's still fucked

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
When the joycon are attached to the Switch, aren't they communicating with the Switch via a physical connection? A lot of people who have the issue pretty much play exclusively in handheld mode.
He could have been more descriptive, I agree, but hes right. It has nothing to do with wireless communications. Its a hardware problem. Mine drifts whether its connected wirelessly or not, same with everyone elses.

Not do muddy the waters here but while the joycons are physically connected to the switch (and there's a sensor in the joycon to show you physically docking it on the sides of the screen), I don't think there's anything actually connecting the joycons to the switch itself like you guys are suggesting. It's still wirless, though it's obviously really close to each other. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Either way, I agree that the drift problem is not a wireless issue. There was a wireless issue with some of the launch joycons (which they fixed with some styrofoam-looking stuff). The proof is that I have no idea how spraying electrical cleaner on the joystick would "solve" a wireless issue. Certainly seems like a mechanical problem.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Not do muddy the waters here but while the joycons are physically connected to the switch (and there's a sensor in the joycon to show you physically docking it on the sides of the screen), I don't think there's anything actually connecting the joycons to the switch itself like you guys are suggesting. It's still wirless, though it's obviously really close to each other. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Either way, I agree that the drift problem is not a wireless issue. There was a wireless issue with some of the launch joycons (which they fixed with some styrofoam-looking stuff). The proof is that I have no idea how spraying electrical cleaner on the joystick would "solve" a wireless issue. Certainly seems like a mechanical problem.
Take a look inside the rail on the Joycon. There are connectors there. It also explains why there's a brief moment when you disconnect them where pressing buttons on the joycon does nothing. It has to reconnect, wirelessly.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Take a look inside the rail on the Joycon. There are connectors there. It also explains why there's a brief moment when you disconnect them where pressing buttons on the joycon does nothing. It has to reconnect, wirelessly.
Oh, interesting. Also, looking it up, people bring up the point that you can put it in airplane mode and docked controllers still work, which furthers that point. You learn something new every day...

That's actually a lot of stuff they were able to take out by not having the Lite have docked joycons. I wish they just kept the TV out chip but maybe they couldn't meet the magic pricepoint that way. Or they felt they needed to differentiate the more expensive OG version.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Wal-Mart is too big to be put on the blacklist. But they might have to make some executions to make it right. We all know Nintendo goes nuts when small stores sell stuff early.

ANOTHER REPORT OF A WALMART BREAKING STREET DATE
OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's another report of the Switch Lite being sold early, this is from the Walmart subreddit, the person who created this post is apparently a Walmart employee:

And here's a short discussion thread about how the Switch Lite should NOT be in the POS system but somehow it is in this Walmart's POS system and that Walmart's support manager stated that if the Switch Lite is in the POS system early, there's nothing they can do:

iosbugspotlight

7 points·1 day ago

I mean, it won't let you ring it up... but they shouldn't be displaying them either. :/

needsnap

2 points·1 day ago

Unfortunately I watched someone purchase one.

LangstromBatman

CAP2 4 points·1 day ago

It literally shouldn't ring up, the UPC shouldn't go through at all.

TripFarmer

3 points·1 day ago

That's what I said! But yeah, it worked. Apparently none of the associates knew about it either. Our support manager said if it rings up in POS, there's nothing we can do.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
😂 no one said you were attacking it. Why're you so defensive? The poster said, if it was bigger it would defeat the purpose of it being a switch "lite."

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Well I wanted that one kinda, guess it's the ash one. Didn't expect there to be a green tone to it. Too bad the Pokemon one isn't either launch or at least colors available sans Pokemon on back. Oh well, I'm sure I'll trade it when a cool special edition is released.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Hope we have some good stand options for the Lite. Also would've liked a charging stand packed in but I guess I'll but that separately.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh it's so close. It's beautiful. I didn't want to open the plastic because I want to have my hands on it for the first time when I actually pick it up at midnight on Friday.

48746633006_99e7239531_h.jpg

It's not any smaller than I expected, but it's not any bigger either. It seems like the perfect size for what it is. Basically right in between the Vita and the regular Switch.

Only bad part is I described it to several co-workers who didn't have a Switch, and now all of them want it since it's smaller and [more importantly] $100 cheaper. So now I need to be there at midnight to make sure I get this turquoise one.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried various USBC to hdmi dongles and cables? Worth trying as a Hail Mary.

I think it's hilarious that people always jump on me for asking this as if it's ridiculous to be curious. There's no harm done in seeing what happens. Though we won't find out for sure if it is hardware capable until someone takes it apart and looks for the usb controller.