• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
I don't think the Walmart there should be blamed, though. The Switch Lites didn't come in a Street Dated box. They just arrived loose in with a bunch of other freight. Given that every single person I've mentioned the Switch Lite to has never heard of it (including my co-workers and gamer friends), it's easy to understand why it happened. The real question is why the register didn't block the sale.
Either way, I can tell a certain few people are not going to be happy about it breaking the street date.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, I can tell a certain few people are not going to be happy about it breaking the street date.
Oh, I have no doubt about that. I guarantee that if I wasn't there tonight when we got our units, and if I hadn't talked about the system and its release date to co-workers the past few days, they would have put it on the shelf.

Somebody messed up. It's not at the same level as a new platform launch by any means, since it's a revision. But it's not good.

So some people got the system a little early. Seriously, who cares. Good for them. Those unhappy pen pushers need to get over it.
The real kicker isn't just that people got the system early (I know this happens several times before), it's also the fact that people now know which Walmart location sold it early. That's the equivalent of painting a target on your back and a recipe for the pen pushers to go directly after the store that sold it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So some people got the system a little early. Seriously, who cares. Good for them. Those unhappy pen pushers need to get over it.
That's pretty much how I feel, particularly given that it's not a new platform launch. I'm sure Nintendo is mad, but it's really not a very big deal. It's just a new [technically downgraded] version of their current console. It would basically be the same as the 2DS XL selling a week early when that released.

The real kicker isn't just that people got the system early (I know this happens several times), it's also the fact that people now know which Walmart location sold it early. That's the equivalent of painting a target on your back and a recipe for the pen pushers to go directly after the store that sold it.
Yeah, true. I feel like sharing the receipt was not the brightest idea.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Someone had tried it (can't remember if it was Twitter or Reddit) but it did not work.

There's not a chance in hell of getting video and sound output via the USB-C port, simply because the PI3USB chip is missing (and it's this chip which redirects the output to the USB-C port). Check out the motherboard photos here: https://fccid.io/BKEHDH001/Internal-Photos/04-Short-Term-Confidential-Internal-Photo-4376240

This is the chip which the Lite doesn't have:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
There's not a chance in hell of getting video and sound output via the USB-C port, simply because the PI3USB chip is missing (and it's this chip which redirects the output to the USB-C port). Check out the motherboard photos here: https://fccid.io/BKEHDH001/Internal-Photos/04-Short-Term-Confidential-Internal-Photo-4376240

This is the chip which the Lite doesn't have:

Ahh so they did save some space removing this cheap, makes sense, otherwise it would stupid to remove the functionality.