• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Not gonna happen, it would significantly make higher costs (and my point of Switch Mini would be lower price point) and had effect on design,
while backward compatibility is not important like people think.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
That would make no sense at all would it?

When you play switch games, you know the system you bought, you'd have an empty screen sitting there

BC is great but not if it reduces the main experience

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It won't happen... but it is one of the only things that could get me to purchase another Switch. I would be so, so happy to play my 3DS games on a system that isn't gross.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Would be nice, but it's not realistic. We're not getting a dual screen device so trying to cram both 3DS screens onto the Switch's 720p 16:9 screen is not ideal, and if the mini's screen is smaller that makes it even worse. Ignoring that (since it's not completely insurmountable), the bigger issue is that full 3DS backwards compatibility would require the 3DS's GPU be integrated in the Switch's SoC, something I don't see happening with the current Nvidia partnership. Emulation is possible but that would likely only be applied on a game by game basis, which would be pretty meh.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Just think about it.
3DS BC on Switch means Xenoblade Chronicles on Switch.
It means DQ1-10 on Switch, alongside the soon to be released DQ11.

It means BC BC with the first 2 gens of Pokemon through VC, as well as BCBC for gens 4-7, and access to the second best pokemon game with Super Mystery Dungeon.

It means more good RPG than any sane human can play on a single system getting instantly aviable for Switch.

Edit: aka, it wont happen, because humanity does not deserve perfection.

So basically what you're saying is that 3DS has more good RPGs on a single system than any sane human can play.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
That means I will finally get some play time on my Switch again. I have a lot of games to play still on the 3ds.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
It won't be called the Switch Mini. It will be called the Switch Pro because it has 3DS b/c.
New Switch will be for the Switch that has a slightly bigger screen and slightly bigger battery.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That would be an incredibly nonsensical decision by Nintendo, but I'd legit love to get more use out of my 3ds games lol

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought since before the Switch launched that there was probably a pretty decent chance Nintendo could get 3DS games running in a hypervisor if they really wanted to. If they do it, it'd be pretty massively disappointing if the screen wasn't 3D, though.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Having a 3D screen but not having 3DS BC would be the stupidest thing Nintendo could possibly do.
Not really. It's could offer all Switch games in auto stereo 3D. That alone is a big deal. It's a neat tech that could continue to evolve. I just don't see how it would be possible to make it backwards compatible. Completely different arquitectures.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. It's could offer all Switch games in auto stereo 3D. That alone is a big deal. It's a neat tech that could continue to evolve. I just don't see how it would be possible to make it backwards compatible. Completely different arquitectures.

Pray tell, how would that work from a developer and publisher point of view?

As for BC, the 2DS is $80, and that includes a game, a charging plug, an SDHC memory card, the screen, the battery, the casing... that tech isn't expensive.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm hoping it will be a little crazier. When has Nintendo ever gone the most predictable route? Back in the day if you asked people to come up with a new 3DS model, no one would've come up with the 2DS. I'm honestly not sure what they could do with a smaller Switch besides, yeah, a Vita, but I bet people will say, "What the FUCK???" when finally seeing it.
The 3DS' unique design form required nintendo to make something solid and cheap for the "Kid" Version (2DS). the solid and cheap version of a switch mini is most likely a Vita style console and it'll be the least surprising thing. Hell, I'd be more shocked if the switch mini had detachable joycons instead of them just being stuck on.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
What if it is compatible with PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Two, Dreamcast, NeoGeo, Ngage and Ouya?!?!

Ouya compatibility I can take or leave but how could you forget the Intellivision Amico?!

(Actually in all seriousness "Ouya compatibility on Switch" would be amazing because that would mean it would technically be compatible with, like, standard android apps and whatnot.)

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Dumb idea. Also, most 3DS games are butt ugly, so having them blown up to a bigger screen is a really bad idea.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I said most, not all. Some games do look pretty great, absolutely.

Okay, sure. Some 3DS games can look bad, cheap Eshop titles in particular. But from my experience a lot of 3DS games look good, with high quality assets, which can look really good when upscaled. I'd say most 3DS games look good, and then you've got some bad apples. Not the other way around.