• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got fed up and replaced the analog sticks in both my joycons. Both joycons suffered from drifting issues and I did not want to spen $70 on a new controller. Luckily the process was pretty easy. Took around 15 minutes to do both. Was wondering if this was a common issue.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Both of my sticks have been fine, and none of the buttons are sticking or anything like that. I am having an issue with my Left Joycon where it doesn't fully latch onto the side of my Switch, so it'll slide up a tiny bit and can probably be taken off the entire thing if I applied enough force.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Mine has been fine but because I've been babying them. The sticks and the shoulder buttons do feel delicate. I feel like the face buttons could take a pounding. I'm generally very delicate with my controllers but I've been avoiding Bayonetta because I was afraid of blowing out the left stick.

I had never thought of replacing them, though. I'm going to look into that. That might be a good alternative to looking for a stronger controller.

Last edited:

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Not good.

Drifting issues in both. And the SL/SR buttons don't work on the right joycon.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Mine are fine. I bought my Switch last February.

My problem with them is that my hands get super sweaty when I use them, so I have to constantly clean them after an hour of playing.

Oct 25, 2017
My blue, left joycon absolutely has drifiting analog now. I'm actually annoyed cause it started doing this after the warranty expired and Nintendo is charging $40 to repair it. (Kinda ridiculous that these controllers have issues considering how expensive they are).

How did you fix/replace it yourself OP??

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Both of my sticks have been fine, and none of the buttons are sticking or anything like that. I am having an issue with my Left Joycon where it doesn't fully latch onto the side of my Switch, so it'll slide up a tiny bit and can probably be taken off the entire thing if I applied enough force.
My left
joycon latches but I can easily pull it off the switch without pressing the button with a little bit of force.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know that drifting was such an issue, but the left stick has started to drift in the past few days (probably from all the Smash).

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My blue, left joycon absolutely has drifiting analog now. I'm actually annoyed cause it started doing this after the warranty expired and Nintendo is charging $40 to repair it. (Kinda ridiculous that these controllers have issues considering how expensive they are).

It's bullshit. I'd try to give them shit about it since this is so common and try to get them to fix it for free.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My left is drifting bad. I sent it in to an Etsy shop to do the dpad mod though, I assumed it was that. If it's possible to fix I might need to do that... handheld mode is unplayable now with certain games (like Smash).

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All 8 of mine are working fine and I've had mine since launch and play games by myself and with friends a ton. Didn't even know issues with the analog sticks were that wide spread. Hopefully doesn't hit me anytime soon.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Mine are fine for now, this issues really scare me because they are REALLY expensive in Brazil.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I have the Switch for over a year now and they're functioning perfect with no marks. The only weird thing is my left joycon that seems to have something loose inside. I have the neon ones.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Do all grey joy cons have the issue of the finish around the buttons rubbing away? Do all colors suffer from this?

What kind of cheap material did Nintendo use, between this and the shitty d-pad on the Pro, they've really dropped the ball on controllers this gen SMH.

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my left started drifting, but I cleaned it out with air and a small brush and recalibrated it to the right a little and it stopped drifting. I also seem to have lost the left rubber stick cover somewhere.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

Bought a set off ebay for $13. I used a video tutorial to replace them. The joycons are actually super simple to disassemble but their are a lot of tiny ribbon cables that can be a pain if you aren't used to fixing things.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I have (what I'm assuming) to be drifting issues, too.
Every once in a while in Smash only, I won't get a response from the left control stick or from the B button, but it fixes itself when I circle with the right control stick, for some reason. Weird stuff.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have had drifting issues on my right joycon since I got my switch and since I got Smash, I've been noticing issues on my left too. How did you fix your's, OP?

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Joy cons isn't the problem... my switch making joy cons acting weird and moving and controlling by it self sometimes, but when I disconnect them from switch I can olay normally.... sad cause I like my cons all the way in.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
No drifting, but my right Joy Con keeps unlocking from the Switch rail with just a slight push from the bottom.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Had drifting issues in both my launch joy con so I replaced them when I saw a sale.
Sucks but it is what it is

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Terrible drifting issue on the left one, trigger button not working on the right one.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Wow didn'tk now about all these driftign issues! Both sets of mine are fine so far!

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
My left joy con sucks ass and has really been giving me trouble during Smash. I have to sit close and be completely unimpeded to have it halfway work. If my body turned or if my knee cap is in the way I'll start losing it and drifting left or whatever. I let my GF use the pro controller.

Launch day system.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This is the thing about them being so tiny. There are reasons controls on previous Nintendo handhelds are simplified and durability is one.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have drifting issues, but both my right (or was it left?) joycons suffer from connectivity issues, and will intermittently drop out during gameplay. Both my pro controllers also incorrectly register an 'up' input on the dpad when i press them right to left (Extremely noticeable and annoying on Puyo Tetris where an up input causes a piece to hard-drop).

These are literally the most issue-prone controllers that I have ever purchased, and they also happen to be the most expensive too. Great job Nintendo.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I noticed my joycons slipping a little on the side of my Switch when playing in handheld mode. Hope it doesn't get worse...

My left joy con sucks ass and has really been giving me trouble during Smash. I have to sit close and be completely unimpeded to have it halfway work. If my body turned or if my knee cap is in the way I'll start losing it and drifting left or whatever. I let my GF use the pro controller.

Launch day system.

Same and launch system as well. I just use the joycons in handheld or tablet mode, and pro controller or GameCube controller for tv. I play handheld 90% of the time anyway.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of them (4) fucked up in some way.

Loose triggers
Drifting
Rattling

Shittiest quality control I've ever seen in a controller, and I've used those chinese fake controllers during the PS1 era. At least they were cheap. I thought the $150 Xbox Elite ones had issues but at least there people complained about it.

Nay

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have had my Switch since launch and am very careful with it, like all my electronics. However, while playing Stardew Valley a while ago I noticed that while traversing menus the cursor would continue to the bottom even if I had left off. I was calling it "joy con stickiness" but drifting is a much better term. Other than that they are fine.

I should look into replacing the sticks if it worked for OP.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Had drifting issues on my left Joycon, sent it in for repairs once, when it came back it was okay for like a week and then the drifting issues returned, worse than before, so I bought a new pair in nicer colors and haven't had any issues since.

reminio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln, UK
My right blue joycon has a serious drift issue. It drifts either left or down every few seconds and to my knowledge I did nothing that caused this, it just randomly started happening. It fucking sucks because games that use a 3D camera (Zelda, Skyrim, Xenoblade) are basically unplayable.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My launch units easily slide out and the left one has shitty range and an iffy stick.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I am convinced joycons are horribly made. All my pairs are having issues with the stick inputs. I am not looking forward to buying new ones. The Propad is amazing with no issues.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I had to replace my left joycon cause of the drifting. I thought it was dirt like some of the others who said they have the problem but it looks like a defect. My right launch joycon analog stick i discover has a drift too, but it could be dirt as well. didn't feel like cleaning it so i've been using my other set of joycons i ordered because of the original left joycon drifting. Nintendo drop the ball with these things, i might add.

Nov 8, 2017
Launch unit here, 400+ hours of total use from me and my gf. Having no technical issues, but there's some visible markings on them that I should try to clean off. Probably like, hand oils leaving marks gradually over time or w/e.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
My left joy con drifted. I used compressed air for a while and it'd work for a little. Tried electronic contact cleaner and that has fixed it for much longer periods of time.

The sticks on both though are pretty loose at this point. Shaking the controller makes quite a bit of noise from the sticks wobbling.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My left one is being weird with the stick not activating when pushing to the left. I notice it in pokemon where if I push right to sprint it will but left it will only walk until I really push it to trigger. Is this fixable or should I return?

AzVal

May 7, 2018
a little wiggly on the rails they slots into on handheld, as I mainly play that way and i am one of those intense players that end up applying force to the control and buttons,.

Never noticed any of that drift I heard so much about.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Good. I accidentally used acetone instead of a milder liquid while removing some printed letters from my aftermarket buttons and they kinda melted. LOL Gotta sand 'em smooth at some point. For now I switched back to my other pair.