• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BareBear

May 16, 2018
My left joycon has been suffering with drifting for a while now which resulted in me buying a new pair (I wanted more anyway). At some point I'll take the faulty one apart and attempt to fix it.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
My right joycon's led lights stopped working. It still works, but you don't know if it's on or the player that is using it.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
My left stick started drifting and my L button only worked 10% of the time. Yesterday I bought an electric contact cleaner and applied to small gaps underneath the button and stick (without opening the joycon) and now everything works as it should again. Best $5 I've spent.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My left joycon has been suffering with drifting for a while now which resulted in me buying a new pair (I wanted more anyway). At some point I'll take the faulty one apart and attempt to fix it.

ab68aad9-fa26-485a-8waf1w.jpeg

There was no need to take it apart for me. Just lift up this soft plastic skirt with tweezers etc and squirt a can of compressed air in there from different directions. It's not much hassle

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They are in a terrible state. My right joy con won't sync as a second controller anymore :-(, can't milk cows with friends anymore.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Pretty much have to play in handheld mode to have the joy cons work correctly... overall pretty dissapointed considering the premium pricing.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I had to send one because of drifting still under warranty... I hope the other resists since warranty is only 2 years, and have connection issues randomly when playing docked despite being close to the dock

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!
I had bad drifting problems, and compressed air wasn't solving them. In the end I sprayed some deoxit contact cleaner under the rubber skirt and it worked like a charm; haven't had any drift since then.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Bought my Switch 13 months ago. The joycons are starting to get a bit wiggly on the rails, any way to fix that or should I just buy new ones?

Otherwise I don´t think there is any drifting.

Last edited:

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Had to use WD-40 contact cleaner after the compressed air stopped fixing the drifting. That's WD-40 CONTACT CLEANER not lubricant. Works perfectly now.

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
I recently began to experience drifting on my left Joy-Con after 19 months of use, which is not acceptable if you ask me.

It also has the infamous disconnect problem of early units, and I'd been putting off sending it for repairs because it didn't cause me much trouble at the distance I usually play, but somehow it seems to have gotten much worse recently.

A couple of minor issues too: my ZR buttons seem to have different travel distances, and one of the face buttons on the right Joy-Con has this thing where it clicks down a bit if you press it lightly.

As for wobbling on the rails, they've been like that for a long time now.

Last edited:

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Had to send my launch gray ones in for repair due to drifting but my neons are holding up just fine.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They work fine technically, but the left one easily ejects itself. Makes it hard to play in handheld mode, though fortunately it's usually in the dock.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
My ratio of use is 10% joycons and 90% pro controller. So i hope mine lasts longer.

Such a shame that is a really cheap build, because the concept and execution is great, it's the Wii Remote done better.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Not good. The SL/SR buttons on the right joycon don't work, the lights too. Took it apart and can see what the problem is: the ribbon cable that controls these has a fold in it that has broken the traces - it's too tight of a fold that has caused the connection to break.
My left joycon has drifting issues on the analogue stick too, thought it was a bug in Smash bros at first but it has only just started happening.

Don't have replacements and my Switch is getting a lot of usage at the moment so don't want to send them off to be repaired and be left with nothing to play. Think I'll just buy replacements or wait it out to see if a revision model is made.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Mine work fine in handheld mode though the left joycon has the problems from the early builds when used on its own. Never bothered getting it fixed since only occasionlly used it for multi-player Mario Kart. Speaking of Mario Kart never take a hammer to your joycon if you slide the bottom extensions in the wrong way. Did this to my right joycon and, before I had worked out that the hammer was unnecessary (trying to free the extension the wrong way), I had already dislodged something inside the joycon causing the Z buttons to no longer work as described in the post above.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
No idea, after one day of use i switched with the hori wired pad, for me are far too small and imprecise.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Neon blue bought in September with the console has drifting issues, yellow one, bought at the same time has disconnect issue, no drifting.

Yeah, not buying a new one, waiting for a decent redesign or a good third party replacement.

I'm using the yellow joycons for the time being.

Senortaco

Oct 30, 2017
My launch joycons held up for a while actually considering the use, but I ended up replacing them like most controllers from heavy use. *Shrugs*

.....I'll admit I do like how new Joycons makes my Switch look brand new though, lol.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I have a few launch day pairs and they are all still working perfectly. No modifications, fixes, etc.

Finally got fed up and replaced the analog sticks in both my joycons. Both joycons suffered from drifting issues and I did not want to spen $70 on a new controller. Luckily the process was pretty easy. Took around 15 minutes to do both. Was wondering if this was a common issue.
Can you share how you fixed your issue? The massive drifting has deterred me from playing the switch in days.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are in pristine condition since I almost exclusively play my Switch docked with my pro controller.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had any drift issues but the plastic went all weird and bumpy on one of the joysticks on mine.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Mine are doing well, despite having zero grip on the analogue sticks. Usually just use my Splatoon Pro Controller at home.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Good, other than the signal is probably like 50cm from the console so anything else than handheld with them makes it unbearable.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Other than looking slightly shinny due to hand sweat destroying the joycon coating they're perfectly functional. I also nodded my left one so that it would have a proper D-Pad.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
The bottom button on my left joycon only works about 60% of the time now. Which is odd because i don't use the joycons THAT much and mostly stick to the pro controller. It's annoying but i'm too lazy to get it fixed.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My Switch console can no longer use the JoyCons wirelessly in docked mode despite testing with multiple sets. Button clicks missed, random inputs I haven't made happening on screen and frequent disconnects a plenty. Although this can be considered a console fault in general, the fact that the Pro Controllers work perfectly highlight how absolutely horrendous the signal these things give out is. Incredibly disappointed to be honest.

Tabletop mode works fine funnily enough.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
My left joy-con broke, but I don't know how or when it happened. All I know is that the connector is dented and now it doesn't always register imputs when in handheld mode. It means i can only play tabletop mode and docked with the joy-con.

Nintendo refused to repair it for free though, because I was just out of warranty. They offered to repair it for €30 but I refused.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I have is the R button in my right joycon sounds a bit weird.
Otherwise, they are holding up fine.

Oct 28, 2017
Only the left stick is a little loose; will probably need to try blowing air into it at some point...
On another note, does anyone own and use the PDP grips? They look like they might significantly improve comfort.
I had non-branded silicone grips that are exactly the same as these – they're okay, but I still found myself cramping up, so not that much of an improvement.

While they're a bit pricey, I'd recommend these Gametech grips;
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B071J1W6P8/
71PEgTFGpiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah drifting and poor connectivity here too. Already replaced a pair and have done the usual fixes. Build quality is nothing short of scandalous, they better make this a priority for the revision.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Both my launch neon joycons are dead. The right one had a ribbon cable snap and the left ones HD rumble started getting really loud and eventually stopped working.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
My launch Neon's are still working perfectly fine and I never had any issues with them though I only use them in handheld mode. My red Joycon has a strange, oily "scratch" all across it though and I don't know how that happened.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Had to send in left joycon once to fix bad vertical stick movement + signal.

Both joycons have some shiny spots around butyons and sticks where the texture coating has worn off.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Left Joycon had sync issues but would work if resynced, now it won't work wirelessly at all, sent it to Nintendo a few days ago.

Thing is I haven't been using it since August since getting a Pro controller, only noticed last week when randomly wanted to play in tabletop mode.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I changed out the plastic pieces that hold the Joycon to the Switch with Metal and I also had one left stick that was drifting.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were ok til the wife accidentally knocked the Switch dock over last weekend. Down went the Switch and killed the right stick. Had to go get another replacement pair.