• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought a Switch Pro Controller with every intention of returning it. I didn't know how to check for revisions so I have a "D." I put it thru it's paces in games that would be troublesome and it feels about perfect. Perhaps I'm lucky?

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I recently bought a Switch Pro Controller with every intention of returning it. I didn't know how to check for revisions so I have a "D." I put it thru it's paces in games that would be troublesome and it feels about perfect. Perhaps I'm lucky?
Check the box your controller came from. It's near the barcode:
XhS1AOC.jpg

Fire up Tetris 99 and see if you're getting any flubs/bad inputs from that game. If not, then you're in the clear.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Check the box your controller came from. It's near the barcode:
XhS1AOC.jpg

Fire up Tetris 99 and see if you're getting any flubs/bad inputs from that game. If not, then you're in the clear.
Yeah I know how to check NOW, due to this thread lol. As I said, I looked at my box and have a "D." Yet, I have no problems with Tetris 99 (though by default I do have that new "up" de-sensitivity enabled in the options). I've also played some Contra NES from the Konami Collection, a game that used to give me fits when emulating on PC with other controllers due to "down" often registering as "down right," meaning me walking into bullets instead of ducking. I'm also doing dragon punches and hadoukens in Street Fighter Anniversary without problems. Like I said, I put it thru the paces in situations where it should be problematic, thinking I'd have to return or mod it. But it turns out I'm very happy with it. It's also registering my inputs properly in the Switch test menu.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know how to check NOW, due to this thread lol. As I said, I looked at my box and have a "D." Yet, I have no problems with Tetris 99 (though by default I do have that new "up" de-sensitivity enabled in the options). I've also played some Contra NES from the Konami Collection, a game that used to give me fits when emulating on PC with other controllers due to "down" often registering as "down right," meaning me walking into bullets instead of ducking. I'm also doing dragon punches and hadoukens in Street Fighter Anniversary without problems. Like I said, I put it thru the paces in situations where it should be problematic, thinking I'd have to return or mod it. But it turns out I'm very happy with it. It's also registering my inputs properly in the Switch test menu.
Keep your Pro Controller then. Congratulations on being in the clear!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I recently stopped by nearby Best Buy just to buys some components and window shop. I wondered into the video game section and noticed something about their stock of Switch Pro controllers.

XhS1AOC.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the last revision of the Switch Pro Controller was 104889D and not 104889E . I know some people have claimed that "D" still had some +Control Pad hiccups and that inputs would sometimes still fudge, though not as bad as launch day controlles. I was wondering if anybody has done a teardown of these "E" controllers to see if they've fixed the pad issue.
guess it's time to update the post from January! Also thanks for the pic.

The Definitive(?) List Nintendo Switch Pro Controller Models by Region.

############################################

Reference: The article number (model number) is the one that matters, the product code simply tells you if it's a black, splatoon 2, xenoblade 2, or smash branded one)

North America:
The number found to the right of the product code in the box above the barcode indicates which revision of the controller is in the box, with A being launch models and C indicating the revisions with updated + control pads equivalent to those that became available with the Xenoblade 2 model.

Black Pro Controller (FSSKA):
Model Number: 104889A | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image
Model Number: 104889B | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image (presumably shipped before rev C w/o any hint at date)
Model Number: 104889C | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image (shipped around Dec 2017)
Model Number: 104889D | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image (shipped around Q2 2019)
Model Number: 104889E | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image (shipped around Q3 2019)

Splatoon 2 (FSSKB):
Model Number: 105692A | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKB-USZ | Barcode: 045496590642 | Box Image

Xenoblade 2 (FSSKD):
Model Number: 106820A | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKD-USZ | Barcode: 045496591847 | Box Image

Smash (FSSKE):
Model Number: 108609A | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKE-USZ | Barcode: 045496594428 | Box Image

Europe:
The "Art Nr" does not correspond to the model number found on the NA units in any way as there are no variants found at all since the Switch and its accessories were first released. There is no way to identify possible model revisions on the EU packaging, as far as I know.

Art Nr: 2510431B | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-EUR | Barcode: 045496430528 | Box Image | Release: Launch, March 3 2017

Splatoon 2 (FSSKB):
Art Nr: 2512231B | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKB-EUR | Barcode: 045496430788 | Box Image

Xenoblade 2 (FSSKD):
Art Nr: 2512531B | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKD-EUR | Barcode: 045496430818 | Box Image

Smash Bros Ultimate (FSSKE):
Art Nr: 10000284 | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKE-EUR | Barcode: 045496430870 | Box Image

Japan:
The JP units do not refer to any other numbers than the product code or the barcode on the box.

Model Number: ??? | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-JPN | Barcode: 4902370535730 | Box Image (back) + (side)

Splatoon 2 (FSSKB):
Model Number: ??? | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKB-JPN | Barcode: 4902370536980 | Box Image (back) + (side)

Xenoblade 2 (FSSKD):
Model Number: ??? | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKD-JPN | Barcode: 4902370537734 | Box Image (back) + (side)

Smash (FSSKE):
Model Number: ??? | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKE-JPN | Barcode: 4902370540031 | Box Image (back) + (side)

talking about B and C revisions is meaningless to Europeans since our article (model) number is entirely different and I can't find any back-of-the box pics on google or ebay of EU controllers that have any other ending than B, whereas you have several pics from NA controllers actually showing the B and C numbers.

What my search for pictures brought up is that there is actually no revision for the black ones in Europe. Art Nr: 2510431B is the one and only Black Pro Controller Europe has. Unless this is not actually the equivalent to NA's model number and thus completely irrelevant for determining what's inside. Japan has the table with details on the right side of the box, so naturally it's even harder to find pictures of that -__-

Spawnwave posts his findings. Raises pivot axis and new manufacturing confirmed.
OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Spawnwave mentioned the new Switch Pro Controller pivots as being a few milimeters taller as well as a new manufacturing method. He also mentions them as being "clickier".

Though he claims raising the pivot doesn't do much, this is actually the opposite: the Pro Controller mod involves using tape to raise the pivot by a few millimeters. Mind you this pivot is already even longer than the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 controller revision.

I might decide to bite and grab one. Look for revision 104889E.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
the Pro Controller mod involves using tape to raise the pivot by a few millimeters.
Unless we're thinking of different things, I thought the mod with tape was to reduce the chances of contact being made in unwanted directions with each press, hence why you're supposed to cover up to half of each contact?

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Unless we're thinking of different things, I thought the mod with tape was to reduce the chances of contact being made in unwanted directions with each press, hence why you're supposed to cover up to half of each contact?
That's partially it, but press-fudging still occurs. I tested it using only the contact covering up and Tetris 99, and it still did screw with my inputs occassionally.

Then I also read of the additional step of raising the part where the pivot comes into contact with the board slightly to makes the Pad's "deadzone" ever so increased by a bit. This is the trickiest part of the mod, since raising the pivot too much will make your Pad feel really stiff and you will not be able to get any inputs in, but not enough increase means it could still fudge inputs. The trick is to finding that spot where inputs don't feel stiff, but are crisp enough so that they don't smush.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's partially it, but press-fudging still occurs. I tested it using only the contact covering up and Tetris 99, and it still did screw with my inputs occassionally.

Then I also read of the additional step of raising the part where the pivot comes into contact with the board slightly to makes the Pad's "deadzone" ever so increased by a bit. This is the trickiest part of the mod, since raising the pivot too much will make your Pad feel really stiff and you will not be able to get any inputs in, but not enough increase means it could still fudge inputs. The trick is to finding that spot where inputs don't feel stiff, but are crisp enough so that they don't smush.
Ok, that makes sense.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Spawnwave mentioned the new Switch Pro Controller pivots as being a few milimeters taller as well as a new manufacturing method. He also mentions them as being "clickier".

Though he claims raising the pivot doesn't do much, this is actually the opposite: the Pro Controller mod involves using tape to raise the pivot by a few millimeters. Mind you this pivot is already even longer than the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 controller revision.

I might decide to bite and grab one. Look for revision 104889E.

Thanks for the updates on this! If you do get, please let us know your thoughts.