• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I recently stopped by nearby Best Buy just to buys some components and window shop. I wondered into the video game section and noticed something about their stock of Switch Pro controllers.

XhS1AOC.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the last revision of the Switch Pro Controller was 104889D and not 104889E . I know some people have claimed that "D" still had some +Control Pad hiccups and that inputs would sometimes still fudge, though not as bad as launch day controlles. I was wondering if anybody has done a teardown of these "E" controllers to see if they've fixed the pad issue.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I recently stopped by nearby Best Buy just to buys some components and window shop. I wondered into the video game section and noticed something about their stock of Switch Pro controllers.

XhS1AOC.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the last revision of the Switch Pro Controller was 104889D and not 104889E . I know some people have claimed that "D" still had some +Control Pad hiccups and that inputs would sometimes still fudge, though not as bad as launch day controlles. I was wondering if anybody has done a teardown of these "E" controllers to see if they've fixed the pad issue.
You should have taken one for the team and bought one.

Also +1 Respect for "+Control Pad" lol

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Hmm. I'll keep an eye out for any new tear down videos.

I retired my pro controller and replaced it with 8bitdo SN30 pro + which is awesome but it can't turn on the Switch remotely. I'd still consider a new Pro controller if the D-pad actually worked properly. It's still the most comfortable controller I've ever held.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, seems Spawnwave saw my photo and is invistigating it! Hopefully we'll see a teardown soon!

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just my complete guess but Bestbuy has different model numbers that are exclusive to BB with many products. I think they are functionally identical.
That said I would like to know for sure too.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Just my complete guess but Bestbuy has different model numbers that are exclusive to BB with many products. I think they are functionally identical.
That said I would like to know for sure too.
Bust Buy also carried the previous revision Model (from the exact same store no less) so I suspect this is another one of Nintendo's own "stealth revisions".
I still have a bummer launch Pro Controller. I hope to see some improvements
I modded my launch Pro Controller and it now works perfectly in games like Tetris 99 and Momodora.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
I will definitely buy another if it's completely fixed. Amazing controller once you take care of that issue.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
I've ground white dust off of my pro controller analogue stick since day one and no drifting for me. I've been using my pro controller almost daily since launch.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
How are you folks only getting grinding on the pro controller, I've had that be the case on every DualShock and Xbox controller I've used as well.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of controllers, I know there was a thread about the Switch lite tear down comparing the analog sticks and found out that they were using slightly different sticks. But, has anyone done a tear down of the latest joy cons, the newly released colors, to see if they were using different analog sticks to prevent stick drift?

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
MY son just got a pro controller for his birthday and his D pad feels different than mine. Still isn't very good though, I'll see what model it is.

DiortemX

Nov 28, 2017
That's interesting. I wonder what was revised for this new model. I bought the "D" model in June to upgrade from my launch model, and the control pad works perfectly to me. No issues whatsoever.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
D, E, whatever. What I'm wondering about is you scoping the back of controller boxes... just in case or?

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Weirdly enough, I have never had the D-pad issue with my launch pro controller. It has always worked fine in game and in the control test when I have been trying to get it to misfire.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
D, E, whatever. What I'm wondering about is you scoping the back of controller boxes... just in case or?
I was toying with the idea of buying myself another Pro Controller. My modded launch controller works nice, but it does make the pad feel marginally "stiff" press-response-wise (all inputs work as they should though). It's not as "sensitive" with the presses due to the slight elevation increase, but that was a tradeoff I was willing to make. I was hoping to score the Smash Bros. Special Edition that included the revised Pro Controller but got beaten in preorders.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Very curious to see what comes of this. I'll second the request for a headphone jack too-would love to be able to play games in TV mode with headphones.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I would totally buy one if it had a headphone port. I haven't experienced the dpad issue on my pro controllers, but I hope this fixes it.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
But the bottom button is A on Xbox, PC (Mac, Windows, and Linux), Android, iOS , and Retroarch. If Sony used letters, it'd probably be A there, too. Nintendo isn't winning the war.
Sony uses a different standard depending on region, which so happens to match the Super Nintendo standard when it comes to confirmation. ("A" being the rightmost button).
Also PC also uses DirectInput which has no standard, only Button1, Button 2, etc. which can vary depending on manufacturer.
XBox copied the Dreamcast layout.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But the bottom button is A on Xbox, PC (Mac, Windows, and Linux), Android, iOS , and Retroarch. If Sony used letters, it'd probably be A there, too. Nintendo isn't winning the war.
Wrong if Sony used letters it would probably be the same as Nintendo's since the circle button was the confirm button for them originally.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
This A button argument isn't going anywhere. Perfectly acceptable to call it a dpad, directional pad, or control pad. We all know what it is. Location of the a button between controller doesn't matter-Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony have all made good games and the letters on their controllers are completely irrelevant to this discussion. I've seen console wars on here a lot but this one takes the cake for the dumbest debate.

The only thing that matters with this new controller is whether people can use it to play NES/SNES/Tetris/Fighters without it detecting the wrong input.