• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
>>319812827
Nintendo actually is working on a new model with upgraded display stuff and has been for ~1.5-2 years. I personally believe it's 4K given the signs I'm seeing in the firmware, but that's not confirmed yet and could be wrong.

The new hardware is codenamed Aula, it's using a Mariko SoC. There's a bunch of references to it in code (atmosphere supports the new display already in theory).

>>319819315
The tablet itself definitely has an upgraded display, I don't know if it's 4K.

Aula has firmware support some Realtek chip that advertises itself as a "4K UHD multimedia SoC", too, hence my belief it's 4K. That chip might be inside a new dock and not inside the tablet, though, there's no way to tell from the firmware code yet.

>>319820002
Aula explicitly supports handheld mode. It is not docked only; that's calcio, which seems like it's for internal only/never releasing since Calcio has no gamecard slot and no battery.

>>319819647
You can check boot sysmodule display code if you're curious. The new display doesn't support power management pwm, it has its own vendor specific bs I had to reverse engineer and implement a month or two ago.

>>319820153
>>319820067
Mariko has *substantially* better cooling and battery life. It's a bona fide die shrink over the original generation.

My best guess (pure speculation, no firmware indication this is the case) is that if they need extra performance, they'll push it to higher clock rates across the board.

But yeah, I speculate games will be like "DSi enhanced" games were, or like how some games benefited from PS4 Pro despite working on PS4.

>>319820443
>>319819805
Checked my previous discussions with hexkyz, the upgraded tablet display is an OLED screen. Probably not higher resolution on tablet itself, so I guess the 4k realtek chip is more likely to be new dock than I thought it was.

>>319823628
Vanilla probably won't.

We're in the realm of speculation. Aula has new GPIO that redbox doesn't related to support for this, so I would tentatively guess that redbox units won't support the new thing.

/vg/ - /hbg/ - Homebrew and Hacking General - Video Game Generals - 4chan (4channel.org)

Last edited by a moderator:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The tablet itself definitely has an upgraded display, I don't know if it's 4K.
Come on..lol
You are not getting a 4K screen a Switch revision.

OLED screen for a Premium Switch is something i could see.
The other Mariko stuff is too general and could be said about the 2019 Switch - i doubt if they were using a new SoC that it would be mentioned in the fw already.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, if it's only a upclocked version of mariko I will be plenty disappointed, but it's 4chan so take it with a mountain of salt.

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
OLED screen? Yes please.

The screen on the Switch isn't awful. But having the LG C9 has really spoiled me on any screen that's not an OLED.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you ever need a 4K screen on a handheld?

Edit: I guess VR maybe? Not the size and weight of a Switch, though.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
OP it looks like you just copied and pasted from a 4Chan thread.

I know it's not like FROM there but ppl gonna disregard it for the way the OP is framed

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If this is true, it's about what I expected (an improvement, but not by much).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for it, whatever it is and whenever it comes out. Make the screen a little bigger and up the res to 1080p (or keep the resolution; I'd just like a bigger screen with less bezel). Don't really care if it's OLED or not.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
This thing is going to cost $299 (at most) right? I can't see them putting in an actually nice screen although I hope whatever they put is better than the current Switch.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
lol no way in hell are they using OLED. I would be absolutely shocked in Ninty didn't cheap out on the display like they usually do.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
If this is true, it's about what I expected (an improvement, but not by much).

A Pro model is a Pro model, not a new Hw that would even create issues to the existing one

Better screen, battery and resolution in portable, better resolution docked is what reasonable people should expect

As for DSi or New 3DS

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I still have my doubts that a Switch Pro is even real. We've been through this song and dance before. Remember everyone being so sure of it in 2019? And then it just turned out to be the original Switch, but with a better battery?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
4K display would drain the battery in like 10 minutes. It'll be 1080p at most.

Sylvalum

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Joking? An oled screen would be massive. I've always thought Nintendo would never do it due to burn in risks. The mere fact a Switch pro exists would also be "big if true"
It's kinda sad but I'd probably buy a current Switch with an OLED as its only new feature (and a significant power boost to have decent framerates), but it shows how great as an update in visual quality can mean to me.

Last edited:

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sounds reasonable, people expecting a generational leap were always being a bit silly 🤔

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't really have much of an issue with any of the Switch hardware currently, only that I wish docked performance was a bit better and I wish they'd target maybe a more premium segment of the market… thinner bezels, thinner device (not uncomfortable thin though), metal enclosure, OLED display, larger screen to body ratio, more built in storage, bluetooth audio support etc.

I don't love how the joy cons can flex a bit when attached– I wish the unit itself felt more solid (similar to how the Light feels) when the joy cons are attached.

Nov 1, 2020
Fair enough, but how far could an overclocked Mariko go in terms of a performance jump compared to the existing versions of the Switch (I'm genuinely asking here)?
TSMC 20nm->16FF+ is claimed to be -60% power@iso-perf. If I calculate it right, that power saving can be converted into raising clock rate by ~30%.
(naturally, the reason that the 2019 Switch has better battery life is that those power savings stayed as power savings. So, a model that clocks up Mariko wipes out 2019's battery life gains)

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Why would he post this information on 4chan and not on Twitter?
Because he lurks the homebrew general, regardless of where he posts the info on 4chan or twitter or reddit or where ever the fuck, SciresM KNOWS his shit
Not to mention, he keeps his twitter related to Atmosphere and the occasional Pokemon

Dec 2, 2020
Welp, if it's only a upclocked version of mariko I will be plenty disappointed, but it's 4chan so take it with a mountain of salt.

I think that's what most people who know Nintendo's hardware history (and have been disappointed several times before) have been expecting. Nintendo love to push battery life first and foremost when it comes to handheld systems too.

The big next gen Switch leap with a brand new SoC including DLSS support will be late 2023 / Spring 2024 imo.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the 4K chip is probably for streaming apps like YouTube & (if it comes to the Switch at some point) Netflix.

There's absolutely no reason that an updated console couldn't output in 4k and HDR even if the internals aren't powerful enough to render games at that.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

People expecting something like Orin (When it's a SoC for AI and self-driving), or a new architecture were just overexpecting stuff. It was always going to be a Maxwell refresh, and that counts out DLSS and most of the stuff people were expecting. You won't get this stuff until the next-generation console Nintendo releases, and god knows if they'll keep working with Nvidia.

Oct 27, 2017
ironically that actually makes it more believable to me.

I'm of the opinion that the screen gets a replacement in terms of quality but not necessarily in terms of resolution (could go to 1080p though if they want, but focus is more on colours and contrast etc) but 4K functionality is going to be reserved for output from a new dock.

Then you can re-use the existing perf profiles, but with the old docked modes being used for 1080p on new Switch's portable mode, plus a new profile for 4K and HDR while docked.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If it's Mariko SoC still wouldn't that mean the DLSS dream is dead for now? To add in Tensor cores would effectively be a total redesign of the chip.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Very interesting. Excited for its eventual reveal. I love my Switch, but I certainly wouldn't say no to an improved display as long as it's not too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.