• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Hm. So this could possibly be new hardware? I'm not a huge believer in the whole "Switch XL" thing, but this is an interesting development. I agree with you - strange to name a revision.

Valid point.

Yep, and in both cases they came with die-shrinks to the CPU and/or GPU.

Edit: Although not all named Xbox 360 revisions did, it seems. However in this case the change to the SoC is the only thing we know about the new model.

Well in the case of the Switch changes in that aspect would be interesting because they cab lead to better battery-life in handheld mode.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Let's be frank, if they actually die shrink they'll put in a smaller battery and charge the same for comparable battery life.

Any increase in performance is gonna come with an actual new model, not just a soc revision.

Oct 25, 2017
I would like it if my launch day switch had a hardware vulnerability that meant I could soft mod it later and Nintendo could not stop me.

Is that what this means?

Potentially, but you would need to bear in mind that a bootrom vulnerability by itself would likely need a userland and/or a kernel level exploit to be usable.

Though the likelihood would be that it would only be released once a full exploit was available and after the release of a new model that has a fixed bootrom.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Well in the case of the Switch changes in that aspect would be interesting because they cab lead to better battery-life in handheld mode.

Yeah, if it's a revision of the Switch itself that would pretty much be the extent of it, as they can't substantially change the size/shape/design of it without breaking compatibility with existing Joy-Cons, which I can't imagine they'd want to do (certainly not this early, anyway). In theory they could increase the screen size a bit, but I wouldn't expect it.

A portable-only Switch Mini is a distinct possibility, though. A die shrink would allow them to achieve this, by dropping the active cooling and allowing for a smaller battery. Combined with a smaller screen, no dock, no detachable controllers, etc, there's no reason they wouldn't be able to release it this year for under $200 and take over from the 3DS at that price point.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if it's a revision of the Switch itself that would pretty much be the extent of it, as they can't substantially change the size/shape/design of it without breaking compatibility with existing Joy-Cons, which I can't imagine they'd want to do (certainly not this early, anyway). In theory they could increase the screen size a bit, but I wouldn't expect it.

A portable-only Switch Mini is a distinct possibility, though. A die shrink would allow them to achieve this, by dropping the active cooling and allowing for a smaller battery. Combined with a smaller screen, no dock, no detachable controllers, etc, there's no reason they wouldn't be able to release it this year for under $200 and take over from the 3DS at that price point.

Hmm while I do see the possibility of a Switch Mini I'm also in the camp that says they can't change much and won't change much, the biggest change I can see is a Switch Lite that streamlines things a bit, has maybe better battery-life and is lighter but I think if they go that route they will definitely keep the relative size to maintain Joycon compatibility and I firmly believe they will maintain the dock/undock process in all variants.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I watched SpawnWave's analysis and basically 5.0 is much harder to hack.

The only thing left is the hardware exploit, which will be corrected with the new SoC.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, raising costs so soon after launch is weird. I imagine it's a devkit. What would be the point of adding more SKUs so quick?

The switch already bothers developers with making two modes (portable at Wii U levels, docked at 400GFflops) so the idea of having four modes is ridiculous (portable switch, docked switch, portable switch Pro, docked Switch Pro) so I imagine this 8GB is just for dev kits

Xb1X kits have 24GB and the retail unit has 12 after all.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A new SKU would also lead to the creation of new updated dev kits. The retail 'Mariko' may still ship with the same RAM, but a new 'Mariko' for devs would need 8GB.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Theres no way that Nintendo would fragment the audience this early by having a switch more powerful than the existing one.

There must be another explanation.....

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Eh, raising costs so soon after launch is weird. I imagine it's a devkit. What would be the point of adding more SKUs so quick?

The switch already bothers developers with making two modes (portable at Wii U levels, docked at 400GFflops) so the idea of having four modes is ridiculous (portable switch, docked switch, portable switch Pro, docked Switch Pro) so I imagine this 8GB is just for dev kits

But wouldn't the switch modes be more like PC with different settings? I can't imagine that it would be that much more time consuming or difficult to add in a few different modes. Besides, why a new devkit, why now? And double the RAM is a lot for debug reasons, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I just saw what you said about X1X. If true nvm.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
But wouldn't the switch modes be more like PC with different settings? I can't imagine that it would be that much more time consuming or difficult to add in a few different modes. Besides, why a new devkit, why now? And double the RAM is a lot for debug reasons, if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe because shipping a devkit without debug Ram was a mistake and they're rectifying it?

Just seems dumb to have such minor improvements between modes. 200GF (portable switch), 300GF (portable Switch Pro), 400GF (docked Switch) and what 800GF at best (docked Switch Pro)

Just seems so insignificant. Nintendo doubled the 3DS RAM, added more CPU cores and even then very little games used it even via Nintendo. And that was a refresh 4 years into the systems life. They didn't do much with that, why would they do much with it now?

If we were going from say 200GF to 1TF portable, maybe but that's not happening with 3 hour battery life until next gen.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Theres no way that Nintendo would fragment the audience this early by having a switch more powerful than the existing one.

There must be another explanation.....
Aside from the fact that it's the way they've approached handheld revisions for several generations if there actually is a hardware level vulnerability it the Switch this would be the best way to rectify it. I don't see how things would be any more fractured than their other handhelds or the current gen consoles.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
8GB ram upgrade for Mariko?

Well, that's very interesting indeed. It would seem to rule out a simple internal refresh or Switch Mini. A full Switch 2 a little over a year after the first seems just too quick for me, though.

Not wanting to drag things into crazy off-the-wall speculation, but back in Nov 2016 a rumour appeared purporting to be from Foxconn with a number of details about Switch that hadn't yet been revealed. As it turns out, many of the details turned out to be exactly right, including precise battery capacities for both Switch and joy-cons, the red and blue colours for the joy-cons and the SL/SR buttons, among others.

It also had a separate part, detailing another device, described as a dev kit, which had the following details:
  • Producing 2000x units for now
  • The core is 1x times bigger than the one above,200mm2, looking it looks like 12x18
  • Extra ram, this version is 8GB
  • No dock for this version for now. Can be plugged into TV without docking, power is inside
  • Speculated provided the core is only include GPU, it would be even more powerful than PS4 pro
  • Screen is the same size as the normal one
  • It's much more powerful, but also much heavier, not feeling great in hand, speculated for 4K gaming
  • Haven't seen such a huge core, and it's 16nm + 100mm2 main core
  • There's no battery inside this version
It seemed a bit out-there, but the rest of the rumour turned out to be dead on, and there are a few interesting parts in there. For one, the size of the extra chip corresponds exactly with the GP106, used for the GTX1060, and the RAM is, yes, 8GB. The timetable would also line up for a device launching late 2018, using the T210 and GP106 as a stand-in for a future more powerful SoC (eg T214?).

The GP106 could have simply been the most easily available stand-in for the performance target they were looking for (a 4K Switch would only need a ~GTX1050 level of performance). The existence of the screen does seem quite strange, though, as even a substantially cut-down GP106 would be far too large and power-hungry to fit in a portable form factor.

Maybe a devkit of some kind?

Devkits don't get their own SoCs, and typically don't have extra RAM anymore these days either, as far as I'm aware (I think the original Switch dev kits all had 4GB).

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
It could be a die shrink to 14nm for the sake of production costs. 14 nm is far more popular than 20nm. The system could still be hard locked to switches current clocks so there would be no difference in performance. Battery life would go up a bit of course.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with a new Switch? Kimishima may have word they need to step it up a little before the next gen PS5/Xbox come out. Or he knows they need some more power or whatever for bigger games.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Aside from the fact that it's the way they've approached handheld revisions for several generations if there actually is a hardware level vulnerability it the Switch this would be the best way to rectify it. I don't see how things would be any more fractured than their other handhelds or the current gen consoles.

Its just too soon to do so. I fully expect a more powerful switch but not 1 year after launch.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Extra RAM with the same CPU/GPU isn't going to allow for any exclusive games to split the userbase with. The system's bottleneck in games isn't the amount of RAM.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason for this to necessarily mean a fragmented userbase as far as games go. Extra RAM may just be for improved system functions, such as longer video record times.
LPDDR4 isn't cheap. It would seem to me to be a big added manufacturing expense just for a things like longer video record times.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
A new dock with built in GPU for 4K gaming support when docked. Doesn't USB-C support external graphics cards? Could be a clever way to please those who want more power.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Extra RAM with the same CPU/GPU isn't going to allow for any exclusive games to split the userbase with. The system's bottleneck in games isn't the amount of RAM.
It's not necessarily the same CPU/GPU though since it refers to a new SoC. Current Switch = T210, Mariko = T214.

Maybe because shipping a devkit without debug Ram was a mistake and they're rectifying it?

Just seems dumb to have such minor improvements between modes. 200GF (portable switch), 300GF (portable Switch Pro), 400GF (docked Switch) and what 800GF at best (docked Switch Pro)

Just seems so insignificant. Nintendo doubled the 3DS RAM, added more CPU cores and even then very little games used it even via Nintendo. And that was a refresh 4 years into the systems life. They didn't do much with that, why would they do much with it now?

If we were going from say 200GF to 1TF portable, maybe but that's not happening with 3 hour battery life until next gen.
Current Switch actually has 3 performance profiles, docked (393GF), undocked (157GF) and undocked boost (197GF).

Depending on how it's designed, games with variable performance or dynamic resolution could get automatic boosts with a Switch revision without the need to go back into the code. Much like Xbox One's S model does or the performance mode in PS4 Pro. That could help something like Xenoblade 2 or DOOM maintain essentially a locked resolution for example without having to go back and update the game even.

Nintendo tends to be hands off when it comes to forcing developer enhancements or using new features in revisions. A publisher would still only need to deliver 2 modes; one docked and one undocked. If they wanted to deliver more taking advantage of Switch DX then they could though and I can see some of the bigger publishers wanting to take advantage of that and perhaps release some Switch DX only titles too. FFXV might be a good candidate there for example.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
A new dock with built in GPU for 4K gaming support when docked. Doesn't USB-C support external graphics cards? Could be a clever way to please those who want more power.
From what I've read, it would be very difficult to achieve that with USB-C due to bandwidth reasons.

But someone with more of an insight into these kinds of things can paint a better picture than I can.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
No chance this will be a performance revision. Nintendo isn't splintering its userbase this early on.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That rumor seems to suggest a docked only version of a Switch using Mariko?

If so, it would be neat if it would still allow local remote play using the plain Switch for home streaming.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
An increase in RAM size without any (at least so far unnoticed) improvements to CPU/GPU sounds like a newer dev-kits plus the fix for that hardware issue in the Tegra SoCs.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I hope that by the time Pokémon arrives they can control all the hacked consoles and act accordingly.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

Any link or citation for the bold text or is that an assumption on your part?

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing as only 2000 get developed maybe it's a dev kit for a target power envelope future revision? Like two/three years from now the Switch Pro, when Nvidia estimates they can make a Tegra with an (underclocked) 1060 spec, as a counter to PS5/XB2? Still seems way too powerful though. I expect PS5 to be a 1070 equivalent lol.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I could see a Pro or 2 model in a couple more years, but not quite yet. It's too early to split the userbase.

A docked only Switch would cater to me, but it throws away the whole concept of the machine.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Updated OP and requested a title change. This may be bigger than we originally thought.

Oct 27, 2017
Any link or citation for the bold text or is that an assumption on your part?
100% assumption.

Just seems bothersome idk. No proof of course. I have been corrected in that there are three performance modes on Switch it seems not two, so assuming they made three more for a Switch Pro, 6 just sounds like a ton for little gain imo.

Just can't see this meaning much other than a devkit or a 2015 PS4 style internal revision (or 360 style revision) why do this so soon after launch with sales not lagging?

You introduce models to increase a gens longevity and it's not like Switch sales have done anything but go up. Maybe XL type revisions but I doubt anything New 3DS or Pro/X type of significance

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would the fact that this is in the current Switch hardware indicate compatibility (either backwards\forwards)?

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's pretty interesting because Erista is Wolverine's supposed son, so the TX1 is the successor to the TK1, pretty logical. I'm wondering why they chose the name of Wolverine's lover, probably because she's Japanese.
That's interesting, I didn't know who Erista was. And yeah, Mariko being Japanese was probably the reason.