• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Having a release so close would be incredibly unfair to early supporters such as myself. Hope this only happens next year. Or if it's this year at least give us something to make-up for the disappointment.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having a release so close would be incredibly unfair to early supporters such as myself. Hope this only happens next year. Or if it's this year at least give us something to make-up for the disappointment.
Why would it be this year? Come on lol

Nintendo needs to prepare for the next gen PS/Xbox systems. Also the Switch may not be able to get big games this gen.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I need to stop buying consoles so early if better hardware comes out later. I'm cheap and only buy the console once, so I usually miss out on that stuff. Oh well

Nov 23, 2017
I wouldn't expect Nintendo to use a GTX1060-level GPU, and certainly not in a handheld. My thinking is that it's a dedicated home console, and the GP106 was simply the best available stand-in for the final chip. Even if they were only going for 2TF or so, Nintendo are likely to use a wider design (ie more cores) at lower clocks than PC GPUs, so they may go with, say a 8 SM configuration (1024 cores) at about 1-1.1GHz, which would give them similar performance to a GTX1050Ti in a smaller power envelope (but would require a GP106 to emulate, as the GTX1050Ti's GP107 only has 6 SMs).

Its not.

I need to stop buying consoles so early if better hardware comes out later. I'm cheap and only buy the console once, so I usually miss out on that stuff. Oh well

Literally all technology works this way. Switch isn't the first.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

Nintendo already said no new hardware will release this year, only add-on's, If this does release it's a 2019 thing at the earliest.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
This is probably coming out next year. Nintendo already said no revisions this year but remained silent on the times after. Mid to late next year we will see this Pro or X version. I'm betting it's going to be something special.

Can't wait.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's not REALLY publically available.

It is. It's on my Switch right now. It may be difficult to see the references that homebrew community have found, but they're still putting those references in a release version of the OS. They're going to have separate internal branches for unreleased hardware, but there's no reason to start bringing that code into the release branch unless that hardware is at least somewhere close to being made public.

All I want from an upcoming software revision is all 8 cores enabled for both existing switches and the newest hardware.

That's something we can easily guarantee won't happen, at least on the existing model. The TX1 used in Switch can only ever execute code on 4 cores at once, either the A57s or A53s, but not both at the same time.

Care to explain why?

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what I'm talking about really, but assuming the size of the Switch doesn't change, wouldn't battery life and cooling become problematic if the device capabilities get better?

Nov 23, 2017
It is. It's on my Switch right now. It may be difficult to see the references that homebrew community have found, but they're still putting those references in a release version of the OS. They're going to have separate internal branches for unreleased hardware, but there's no reason to start bringing that code into the release branch unless that hardware is at least somewhere close to being made public.

That's something we can easily guarantee won't happen, at least on the existing model. The TX1 used in Switch can only ever execute code on 4 cores at once, either the A57s or A53s, but not both at the same time.

Care to explain why?

A Switch that doesn't Switch, or do anything like it's current value proposition? It would still be much weaker than the competition and have nothing special going for it compared to them besides Nintendo IP. Just don't think that makes any sense at all and there's no evidence of it either.

NiceOne

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn I just got a switch too. How much more. Powerful. Is Tegra 214 versus 210

Going off by pure math, it's about 1.9% more powerful because it's just 210+4 so it's just 4/210 better
/s

EDIT: Realistically, it could range anywhere between 0% (same, just a security update) to 40% (die shrink to 16nm), but I could be wrong

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Gonna be the crazy guy in the thread, and go for broke. Switch Revision announced at E3. Releases in October, 19 months after launch, which is nothing new for Nintendo handhelds. 330 for this new model, 270 for the basic. Nintendo needs a relatively cheap SKU for the launch of Pokemon. New model is on a 14nm die for cheaper production as well as 8gigs of ram due to higher production rates, a 6.5 inch screen that can fit in the same body, same sized battery, and everything is the same.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Prediction: Switch DX Japan launch Spring 2019 with Monster Hunter Portable 5th

Nintendo already said no new hardware will release this year, only add-on's, If this does release it's a 2019 thing at the earliest.
Nintendo's said the same thing before only to turn around and announce a new revision 2 weeks later. That's exactly what happened with n3DS.

I agree it's probably a ways out but never take a Nintendo rep at their word on these things.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be the crazy guy in the thread, and go for broke. Switch Revision announced at E3. Releases in October, 19 months after launch, which is nothing new for Nintendo handhelds. 330 for this new model, 270 for the basic. Nintendo needs a relatively cheap SKU for the launch of Pokemon. New model is on a 14nm die for cheaper production as well as 8gigs of ram due to higher production rates, a 6.5 inch screen that can fit in the same body, same sized battery, and everything is the same.
They're not doing this. It's not needed. Since when do they need a cheap sku for Pokémon?

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be the crazy guy in the thread, and go for broke. Switch Revision announced at E3. Releases in October, 19 months after launch,
You are crazy. Also, it makes no sense dropping the price of a system that's in such high demand they can't even fully stock it. I don't get why people keep suggesting price drops in spite of this. How does that make any logical sense? Price drops are to combat a decline is demand, not to exacerbate issues with already meeting it

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I really hope it's a Switch Pro , it was very noticeable and annoying in Xenoblade 2 when the resolution would drop and go back to normal in certain areas.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
To me 2000 seems like a lot of units of a dev kit for a device launching around 2 years later, although to be honest I don't know what scale these things are usually made at. The fact that they'd be using Foxconn to develop dev kits at all would suggest to me that it was more than just a speculative prototype (Nintendo's early dev kits are still made by Intelligent Systems, I believe).

My logic over on the old forum is that it would be basically a stand-alone console that also acted somewhat like an "SCD". That is, you could dock and undock your Switch with it and get the benefits of the extra performance while docked for 4K visuals on the TV. The big issue is how you handle the docking and undocking. If the entire game runs on the T214 in the stand-alone console while it's docked, then if you wanted to take the Switch out of the dock you'd need to wait probably a few minutes for it to transfer everything over to the Switch, so certainly not as smooth as people would expect. Docking could be a bit smoother, as the game could continue to run on the Switch at 1080p or so, while it's loading up on the T214 in the home console, after which point it could switch over to the more powerful SoC and jump to 4K. In theory while docked they could have the game continue to load assets onto the Switch RAM in tandem with the home console's RAM, to make undocking smoother, but it stirkes me as difficult to both implement and properly test.

We know the USB-C port on the Switch is only capable of 5Gbps, but there isn't really a hard line where external hardware becomes possible or impossible, it's just easier for developers to make use of it the more bandwidth they have available. The reason I'd shy away from the eGPU paradigm, or SCD, is, in addition to the limited bandwidth, the fact that we've got confirmation of a new Tegra SoC, not just a new GPU. Which means whatever device this is is meant to operate as a stand-alone device, not just as some add-on for the current Switch.

Well, my (again likely incorrect) theory is predicated on the idea that this Mariko SoC is a simple security update, possibly with a boost in RAM, which would simply be the new standard Switch model being sold as early as this year. Not a major revision.

I'm saying -if that's the case- then potentially this revision will have a Thunderbolt capable USBC connector and be able to interface with a separate standalone eGPU dock, which could also release this year as part of the many accessories and add-on hardware Nintendo promises is coming. Then this eGPU dock plus the base Switch/Mariko Switch would give you a performance profile which necessitated those much more powerful devkits the Foxconn leaker described. If the base Switch can also use an eGPU even with the bandwidth constraints then that's even better.

The thing about the SCD concept that I always thought was so incredibly elegant was that it was capable of supplementing processing power both wired and wirelessly, which is something that plays right into the major strengths of the Switch. You could have the SCD supplement X amount of processing when docked to achieve much more stable framerates and resolution on the TV, and 0.5X amount of processing when undocked to achieve much more stable framerates and resolution on the Switch screen. In theory of course.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Never would have guessed that a great way to limit the damage of these exploits would be to make the "fixed" console better and push the enthusiast audience to upgrade.

Anyway the Switch was designed on a budget. Now they know its a successful formula, maybe a new version that doesn't run on 2015 mobile tech would be good.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I know this thread is full of hot takes, so I'll add mine!

I've always maintained if you want to buy a switch do it by 2018. If you're gonna wait till 2019, might as well wait a bit longer for the eventual upgrade.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, my (again likely incorrect) theory is predicated on the idea that this Mariko SoC is a simple security update, possibly with a boost in RAM, which would simply be the new standard Switch model being sold as early as this year. Not a major revision.

I'm saying -if that's the case- then potentially this revision will have a Thunderbolt capable USBC connector and be able to interface with a separate standalone eGPU dock, which could also release this year as part of the many accessories and add-on hardware Nintendo promises is coming. Then this eGPU dock plus the base Switch/Mariko Switch would give you a performance profile which necessitated those much more powerful devkits the Foxconn leaker described. If the base Switch can also use an eGPU even with the bandwidth constraints then that's even better.

The thing about the SCD concept that I always thought was so incredibly elegant was that it was capable of supplementing processing power both wired and wirelessly, which is something that plays right into the major strengths of the Switch. You could have the SCD supplement X amount of processing when docked to achieve much more stable framerates and resolution on the TV, and 0.5X amount of processing when undocked to achieve much more stable framerates and resolution on the Switch screen. In theory of course.

The SCD could end up coming true? I guess that would be a peripheral

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
A bump in an additional 4 gigs of RAM is nothing without other hardware changes. I would wager the people guessing the CPU is a security upgrade unbeknownst to the consumer are right.

Either way, it's best to not get too upset over something that is completely unknown.

Isn't one of the biggest issues with Switch bandwidth? Theoretically wouldn't additional RAM Alleviate some of that?

Also, if they are producing a new chip they may do a die shrink. If they do shrink the die they should at the very least be able to bump the clocks for some additional power. Not an expert so no idea how noticeable such a set up would be but just spitballing that it could provide some performance boost.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The SCD could end up coming true? I guess that would be a peripheral

I honestly have no idea how feasible it is, but most people who know more than I have said that the Switch would need a different USB-C port with much more bandwidth to really be able to use something like an SCD (an external GPU essentially). If there is a revision coming soon and it's essentially just a new SoC with a security update, they could also revise the USB-C port such that it has the necessary bandwidth. That's where my theory is coming from.

Again, I'm probably way off.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Anyway the Switch was designed on a budget. Now they know its a successful formula, maybe a new version that doesn't run on 2015 mobile tech would be good.
They need to be careful about this imo, just because its 'old' tech doesn't mean the Switch needs to be upgraded quickly. Game systems still aren't smartphones the Pro and X didn't do that well for such an upgrade .

Imagine if they announced this at E3 (coming holiday 2018) wouldn't it be too quick?? Also the upgrades might not be as significant as enthusiasts want to believe these are dev kits.

This is going to be interesting

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly have no idea how feasible it is, but most people who know more than I have said that the Switch would need a different USB-C port with much more bandwidth to really be able to use something like an SCD (an external GPU essentially). If there is a revision coming soon and it's essentially just a new SoC with a security update, they could also revise the USB-C port such that it has the necessary bandwidth. That's where my theory is coming from.

Again, I'm probably way off.
I think this is less likely as it actually would split the userbase.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god I waited, makes waiting till next year so much easier now

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is less likely as it actually would split the userbase.

Right, that's what I noted as the major flaw in that theory. But Thraktor seems to think bandwidth isn't a hard limitation for this application, and I wonder now if you could get varying levels of supplemental processing with the base Switch versus the new Mariko one.

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. Was kinda hoping we'd make it at least a few years before Nintendo starts the hardware upgrade train. Though to be fair, I feel like the switch won't last as long as their other machines so maybe it's for the best. I find the joy cons in particular feel delicate.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
They're not doing this. It's not needed. Since when do they need a cheap sku for Pokémon?
Historically, Pokemon has launched near or right after the launch of a revision. More so in the west, buy for the last decade or so it has always been the case:
-Gameboy Color came only 2 months after the Launch of Red/Blue.
-Gameboy Advance SP came a month after Ruby/Sapphire in the west, 3 months later in Japan.
-Diamond/Pearl came after the DS Lite.
-Black/White alongside the DSi
-X/Y after the 2DS and the 3DSXL

The only exceptions are Sun/Moon and the Japanese launch of Pokemon in 96. There has always been a new base price model with the previous model getting a price cut right next to Pokemon, I cannot see it not happening here.

ShiftaDeband

Nov 15, 2017
I'm on #TeamDevKit.

Not too worried. It's way too early for a revision like this. I still expect we'll see form factor changes, but not until next year.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's said the same thing before only to turn around and announce a new revision 2 weeks later. That's exactly what happened with n3DS.

I agree it's probably a ways out but never take a Nintendo rep at their word on these things.

Actually in this case I don't believe Nintendo ever said it, it was the WSJ who talked to their sources at Nintendo who reported it.

Which, oddly, I find to be a bit more believable than if Nintendo said it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Miyamoto said they weren't working on a new 3ds and 2 weeks later they announced New 3ds?
Miyamoto isn't Kimishima. Kimishima is straight forward. He said no revisions this fiscal year.

I'm on #TeamDevKit.

Not too worried. It's way too early for a revision like this. I still expect we'll see form factor changes, but not until next year.
How can that happen when Labo exists?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
3DS revisions were timed with Monster Hunter rather than Pokémon. Expect the Triple Cross yet.