• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As a non-homebrew guy, I'm just worried the new Switch will be much more powerful and simply a better console by far. Is this an actual risk?

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
I just thought of something. A switch Pro wouldn't be considered a revision. They only said no revisions this year..pro unit still possible.

Believeeeeeeeee

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Why anyone is thinking this is not a small SKU update for the bootloader made by nvidia Is beyond me.

This isn't a generation leap, it's just a model revision, Just looking at the model number you can tell that.

If it was 210 --> 220 sure, but 210 --> 214? This just screams slight modification

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
A Switch that doesn't Switch, or do anything like it's current value proposition? It would still be much weaker than the competition and have nothing special going for it compared to them besides Nintendo IP. Just don't think that makes any sense at all and there's no evidence of it either.

I don't get why people are so hung up on the Switch name. Do you also get confused that Coca-Cola doesn't have cocaine in it anymore? Brand names can and do become disassociated from their literal meaning all the time, and there's nothing to stop Nintendo from selling a Switch Home in a way which is perfectly clear to consumers. Or, they could do like Apple did with iOS, and create some branding for the OS or family of devices which encapsulates both Switch and anything else they release. In either case I don't see them refusing to expand their potential market just because they've already named the first device Switch.

And I don't believe that Switch's hybrid nature is its main value proposition, its games are. People buy it because they want to play Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 and soforth. The hybrid simply gives Nintendo access to the largest possible segment of the market with a single device. A new home console (or dedicated portable) would launch with exactly the same games (minus 1,2 Switch and Labo), and would benefit from the continued future development of games for Switch with minimal additional resources required from Nintendo or third parties.

As for the evidence of it:

1. Nintendo now have an architecture and hardware partner that allows them to hit pretty much any performance/form factor they need to, while maintaining 100% compatibility with Switch code.
2. Virtually every game released thus far for Switch is capable of being played with a traditional control scheme, even motion-central games like ARMS. Only games which would be literally impossible to play with a traditional controller (1,2 Switch and Labo) don't support it.
3. Nintendo have very explicitly talked in the past about their new hardware being like "brothers in a family of systems" and taking a more iOS/Android approach to hardware and software development.
4. We now have evidence of a device which uses Switch's OS, has a new SoC and more RAM, potentially being released less than 2 years after Switch.

I also don't think performance even comes into it. PS4 was still comfortably outselling PS4 Pro last I checked, and I wouldn't be suprised if the same was true for XBOS over X. Pretty much every generation has shown that most console buyers don't actually care that much about power. They want a reasonably priced device with a good selection of games they're interested in playing. A Switch home console could give them that, and it would be an extremely low-risk venture for Nintendo, as they wouldn't have to develop any games for it, just enable a higher-resolution mode in their existing ones. Even if it "only" sold 10 million units over its lifetime, that would still mean some comfortable profits for Nintendo, as it would mean 10 million extra potential customers for Switch games.

Well, my (again likely incorrect) theory is predicated on the idea that this Mariko SoC is a simple security update, possibly with a boost in RAM, which would simply be the new standard Switch model being sold as early as this year. Not a major revision.

I'm saying -if that's the case- then potentially this revision will have a Thunderbolt capable USBC connector and be able to interface with a separate standalone eGPU dock, which could also release this year as part of the many accessories and add-on hardware Nintendo promises is coming. Then this eGPU dock plus the base Switch/Mariko Switch would give you a performance profile which necessitated those much more powerful devkits the Foxconn leaker described. If the base Switch can also use an eGPU even with the bandwidth constraints then that's even better.

The thing about the SCD concept that I always thought was so incredibly elegant was that it was capable of supplementing processing power both wired and wirelessly, which is something that plays right into the major strengths of the Switch. You could have the SCD supplement X amount of processing when docked to achieve much more stable framerates and resolution on the TV, and 0.5X amount of processing when undocked to achieve much more stable framerates and resolution on the Switch screen. In theory of course.

On the first point, I don't think Mariko is a security update. This has both a numbered Tegra designation and it appears to be named after an X-Men character, which seem a lot for a simple security revision. Furthermore, if it was just a security update/die shrink, I don't see why they'd just tack on double the RAM at the same time. On Nintendo's previous devices any performance upgrades have come 3-4 years in, with improvements to CPU/GPU and RAM all at the same time.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme that 4K HDR mode when docked and I'll be there day one. I'll just gift my current Switch! =D

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
If it has 8GB of ram then it would be good if it had a upgraded CPU so that when you play very demanding games like DOOM the OS won't have slowdown on the Eshop

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I adore my Switch so much that if they announced a revision with more powerful innards I'd preorder it in a heartbeat. It's the best piece of gaming hardware I've purchased in years and I'd gladly sign up for an even more powerful, refined version.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
We all knew an upgraded revision was going to happen probably at the 3rd year mark.
I'm not upset but I am disappointed in myself for buying into the hype and buying the consoles in the first year when I could have saved some cash and just got the upgraded model. lol

Eitherway I'll be fine sticking with my current model unless the new model makes games run at 1080ps 60fps all the time.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Very interesting.

I hope Nintendo will offer 2 options here :

- an Upgrade Pack ( like the Expansion Pack on the N64 ) for like 99$

- a Switch Plus ( or whatever it will be called ) for 350$

So people have the choice, unlike the Pro and X.

Last edited:

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
And I don't believe that Switch's hybrid nature is its main value proposition, its games are. People buy it because they want to play Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 and soforth. The hybrid simply gives Nintendo access to the largest possible segment of the market with a single device. A new home console (or dedicated portable) would launch with exactly the same games (minus 1,2 Switch and Labo), and would benefit from the continued future development of games for Switch with minimal additional resources required from Nintendo or third parties.

I disagree. The hybrid aspect of the Switch is the main selling point of the system. Otherwise the Wii U would've sold more and we all know how that went.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It should be 3 years at least until they do a revision. A new Switch model after 18 months? Forget about it. If Nintendo were to do this I think there'd be a huge blowback from early adopters.

I certainly would be pissed.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be 3 years at least until they do a revision. A new Switch model after 18 months? Forget about it. If Nintendo were to do this I think there'd be a huge blowback from early adopters.

um no?

Apple always release a new phone every year... they dont get blowback? Phones are also more expensive than consoles too.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I thought Nintendo said they're interested in making new peripherals instead of new hardware revisions?

The quote specifically said for this year they planned to focus on peripherals instead of hardware revisions. It was just the clickbait ERA thread title that failed to include that pertinent bit of information.

If an upgraded hardware revision launches it will likely be 2019 or later. If this thing comes sooner, then it is likely just fixing he security breach and not an upgrade revision.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017

reasonably priced device with a good selection of games they're interested in playing. A Switch home console could give them that, and it would be an extremely low-risk venture for Nintendo, as they wouldn't have to develop any games for it, just enable a higher-resolution mode in their existing ones. Even if it "only" sold 10 million units over its lifetime, that would still mean some comfortable profits for Nintendo, as it would mean 10 million extra potential customers for Switch games.
Completely disagree with this. The hybrid nature IS the usp. Having great games did nothing for the Wii U.

People are buying the Switch as it offers the best of both worlds. A handheld and home console in one.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
um no?

Apple always release a new phone every year... they dont get blowback? Phones are also more expensive than consoles too.

Also a completely different market with different consumer expectations. Let's quit comparing video game consoles with phones.

Though I wouldn't be against ending generations and going towards unified operating systems with hardware revisions every two years or so.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
I disagree. The hybrid aspect of the Switch is the main selling point of the system. Otherwise the Wii U would've sold more and we all know how that went.
I e seen this said before but not really. The Wii U was a shit console, but it had no marketing. People thought it was a Wii addon as well. The hardware is just one of the reasons it failed. Also, the games on it weren't all that great. We didn't get a mainline Zelda (till the successor was announced) or a 3D Mario.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

why tho? either stick with the OG or trade in your OG to offset the cost of the revision

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Mariko.

Instead of making a female link, they made a female Mario.

hqdefault.jpg

Believe

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I e seen this said before but not really. The Wii U was a shit console, but it had no marketing. People thought it was a Wii addon as well. The hardware is just one of the reasons it failed. Also, the games on it weren't all that great. We didn't get a mainline Zelda (till the successor was announced) or a 3D Mario.
We got 3D Mario on Wii U.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also a completely different market with different consumer expectations. Let's quit comparing video game consoles with phones.

Though I wouldn't be against ending generations and going towards unified operating systems with hardware revisions every two years or so.

yeah but technology is always advancing and something new will always be outdated by the next day, generally speaking of course.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U had some really great games, which is evident considering how many ports the Switch is getting of them.

If you are Nintendo fan, the portability might be a non-factor in your purchase of the Switch, but for everyone else it was like the number 1 talking point.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
We got 3D Mario on Wii U.
Do you mean 3D world? Because it was more of a platformer than like Odyssey/64/Galaxy games etc.

The Wii U had some really great games, which is evident considering how many ports the Switch is getting of them.

If you are Nintendo fan, the portability might be a non-factor in your purchase of the Switch, but for everyone else it was like the number 1 talking point.

They were good Nintendo games and platformers (and Bayonetta) but that's really it. They are being ported over because, as you said, they barely got attention on the Wii U. But the system had no system sellers and had more disappointments than successes.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
8gb does sound like a dev kit thing but having a more powerful switch does sound appealing but just the idea of a better switch is going to eat into current sales. Unless they drop the price, it could be messy.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, yeah no. It's not happening, at least not for a long time. The Switch is a console to Nintendo, and like all of their consoles before it, they'll ride this hardware iteration until the next big idea.

There's no way.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Errr ...

2001 - GBA
2003 - GBA SP
2004 - Nintendo DS
2005 - GBA Micro
2006 - DS Lite
2008 - DSi (Japan)
2009 - DSi XL
2011 - 3DS
2012 - 3DS XL
2013 - 2DS
2014 - New 3DS XL
2015 - New 3DS (North America/EU)
2017 - New 2DS XL

They've released 13 different handheld revisions in 17 years, you guys really thought the Switch was going like 3 full years without a revision? lol.

This is the same company that trolled its 3DS fans with Miyamoto saying there wasn't a revision for 3DS coming and then 2-3 months later announces 3DS XL.

Fact is, revisions are good business, they make Nintendo money, otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it because people will always double dip.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017

Like the huge blowback Apple / Samsung / other mobile phone companies get when they release new products every year? If the system is fully forward and backwards compatible then I see no issue - if you're desperate for it then trade your old Switch in and get the new one - as long as the games and accessories still work you won't end up spending that much on the new hardware - probably about as much as many spend on the upfront for a phone upgrade every year.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not even a devkit w/ 8GB RAM. Might just code imported from Nvidia's API that would cover all varying options for the new SoC, which Nintendo wouldn't have need for the 6GB and 8GB ones listed and it's not something a coder would bother with trying to simplify since it's only a few lines there that could lead to problems elsewhere.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't mind if a new revision came out tomorrow tbh. As long as they don't segment compatibility like with the new 3DSs.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also technically I don't believe Kimishima has directly said anything about their immediate hardware plans.

There was a report that cited anonymous sources from Wall Street Journal, but the only thing Mr. Kimishima has said directly is they'd like the Switch's lifecycle to be longer than 5-6 years.

Personally I think it would be kinda stupid for them not to at least use the Tegra X2 even it's nothing but battery performance ... you could likely double the battery life. By 2019, the X2 will be an older chip that likely will be cheap, why wouldn't you use it?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Also technically I don't believe Kimishima has directly said anything about their immediate hardware plans.

There was a report that cited anonymous sources from Wall Street Journal, but the only thing Mr. Kimishima has said directly is they'd like the Switch's lifecycle to be longer than 5-6 years.

As I said on the last page, having it come from WSJ's anonymous sources actually makes it a bit more trustworthy and believable to me than if Nintendo had said it. Since they have a track record of flat out lying about that.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said on the last page, having it come from WSJ's anonymous sources actually makes it a bit more trustworthy and believable to me than if Nintendo had said it. Since they have a track record of flat out lying about that.

But there are lots of anonymous reports on Nintendo that also have turned out to be untrue over the years (see: Nintendo NX was going to use Android per Nikkei). I wouldn't take it as gospel.

Kimishima technically has not said no to anything. We're already almost into April 2018, so a big chunk of this year is already gone, 2019 is not really that far off either.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading somewhere, TMSC, who manufacture chips for Nvidia, wants to move from 20nm lithography, so i think Nvidia and Nintendo have to do some little revision to the console with a new chip.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading somewhere, TMSC, who manufacture chips for Nvidia, wants to move from 20nm lithography, so i think Nvidia and Nintendo have to do some little revision to the console with a new chip.

Yeah well that too. I can't imagine TMSC wants to keep their 20nm lines open just because basically one product alone uses it.

Even for Nintendo there's likely motivation to want to switch to 16nm as times goes on, 16nm will likely actually be cheaper.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
It'll just be a revision with some security enhancements and maybe a different process used. 20nm isn't used very much at all so moving to another process makes sense for costs.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I say late 2019 or early 2020 for the revision. If Nintendo handles the revision correctly, I would expect the revised switch to reinvigorate sales of the platform like the DS Lite did. I think this is one of the major factors in achieving the 100+ mil LTD for the switch.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Its just 1 year old. Too soon for a big revision, right? Nintendo wouldn't be crazy enough to adopt a cell phone like upgrade cycle would they?

....Actually might be brilliant move for them if they did. It further dilutes and abolishes the whole idea of "generations" plus every year they run more and more powerful games, encouraging upgrades and hardware purchases. Gamers win because your library finally follows you forever. it gives them massive hype every year. Seriously, can Nintendo do this??? Switch 2 holiday 2018?