• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
8gb screams dev kit (ergo 4gb extra for debugging)

or maybe not, I dunno

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd buy it in a heartbeat, I'd kill for some better in in breath of the wild. I hate jaggies so much.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I can see them doing a cellphone model for revisions. A new Switch every year. As long as they don't remove compatibility for Day 1 models.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe for a second that this is anything other than a security revision

Japan still has barely enough stock to go around and it's still selling like gangbusters worldwide. All this would do is piss people off.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It is. It's on my Switch right now.

That's something we can easily guarantee won't happen, at least on the existing model. The TX1 used in Switch can only ever execute code on 4 cores at once, either the A57s or A53s, but not both at the same time.

I distinctly remember someone saying a57 specifically is capable of that but it's not allowed on Nvidias platforms.

Whatever technical concerns they may have it is something Nintendo should still consider even if it means making it as a alternative mode that devs can use even if that means not getting nvidias api support.

In most cases only aaa dev projects need to consider the usage of so many cores and have the budget to code without relying too much on the existing API.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
um no?

Apple always release a new phone every year... they dont get blowback? Phones are also more expensive than consoles too.
Like the huge blowback Apple / Samsung / other mobile phone companies get when they release new products every year? If the system is fully forward and backwards compatible then I see no issue - if you're desperate for it then trade your old Switch in and get the new one - as long as the games and accessories still work you won't end up spending that much on the new hardware - probably about as much as many spend on the upfront for a phone upgrade every year.
Why are you so obsessed with comparing them to phones? If that's the new standard I'm definitely out of touch with console gaming.
I don't upgrade phones every year, either. Looking at Pro and Xbox X sales I don't think I'm alone on that front, really.

Where did you pull 18 months from
My post is somewhat out of context as I didn't quote those posts that suggested something like an E3 announcement of the new hardware.
I don't think that they will release it that soon personally. But a New Switch in the vein of the New 3DS might be possible and I expect that to happen sooner or later.

why tho? either stick with the OG or trade in your OG to offset the cost of the revision
I don't think that trading the old one in would offset enough of the cost. Except if GameStop were to do a trade in, I guess. But that's not something I can count on for certain.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Did the original Switch devkits not also have 8gb? This is probably just the devkit for the revised SoC.

detrenvi

Jan 14, 2018
8gb screams dev kit (ergo 4gb extra for debugging)

or maybe not, I dunno

Doubling the RAM for the dev kit over a year after the platform launched doesn't make much sense. We can see from the same code in the link that the Erista Gen 1 Switch (erista was the codename for Tegra X1) has only had 4GB configurations for the dev kit. Unless there is more going into T214 than a simple security change, there is absolutely no reason to double the RAM only to develop on the same hardware as T210.

This is more likely to be code from a more powerful Switch revision coming in 2019. I'm currently pouring through the Jetson TX2 (Tegra X2) dev documentation for any mention of T214 or Mariko, seeing as how the Switch we have today is using Nvidia's T210 and Erista nomenclature.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I really should stop buying Nintendo consoles until they're at the end of their lifespan. I get a 3DS XL and a year later they announce the New revisions, I get a Switch and within 3 months it's already been deemed outdated.

Last edited:

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
If Nintendo is gonna release revisions of the Swith like the 3DS then I'm out. It takes me months to actually save the money to afford gaming stuff nowadays only so that they keep launching hw revisions every year. This not a smarthphone come on :((((

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
If Nintendo is gonna release revisions of the Swith like the 3DS then I'm out. It takes me months to actually save the money to afford gaming stuff nowadays only so that they keep launching hw revisions every year. This not a smarthphone come on :((((

This isn't going to release anytime soon and Nintendo isn't going to release a new HW revision every year.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way I'm updating now, lmao. I was on the fence before but if this rumor ends up true I can easily wait and get a New Switch and keep the old one for emu.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why anyone is thinking this is not a small SKU update for the bootloader made by nvidia Is beyond me.

This isn't a generation leap, it's just a model revision, Just looking at the model number you can tell that.

If it was 210 --> 220 sure, but 210 --> 214? This just screams slight modification
This a thousand times. The homebrew scene was panicking because this, along with the new security measures that came with 5.0, meant they wouldn't be able to access the exploit they loved.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it has identical dimensions to the OG Switch, I'm down.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You are crazy. Also, it makes no sense dropping the price of a system that's in such high demand they can't even fully stock it. I don't get why people keep suggesting price drops in spite of this. How does that make any logical sense? Price drops are to combat a decline is demand, not to exacerbate issues with already meeting it
Agreed. It'll go the other way.

Nintendo Switch: $299.99
Nintendo Switch DX: $399.99

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
This thing could be years away and you all are having this thread like it is happening this fall.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Everyone citing how Nintendo always do hardware revisions of their handhelds need to remember that they never do for their home consoles. While I do expect a more powerful switch, it's possible we won't see this till switch 2. Any meaningful leap forward is going to be hard to support legacy hardware.

It will be interesting to see how Nintendo handles generations moving forward. The switch will always be compared to mobile hardware that moves forward much faster.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could in theory release a new Switch model that has docked Switch performance in portable mode (so 390 GFLOPS or whatever) and then a higher performance mode docked (500-700 GFLOPS+?).

It wouldn't necessarily lock out older models from new games, the old Switch would just run the portable mode of the higher end model when docked.

But of course the question is, what about portable mode for the OG Switch model? I think there could be a cheap workaround for that ... a plastic portable dock with extra battery in it. You buy that for say $29.99 and viola, you have a solution that could let the OG Switch run docked performance in table top mode. So basically you can keep all games compatible with all models.

This is a way they could have a higher end "Switch Pro", while still maintaining that all games work with all models.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone citing how Nintendo always do hardware revisions of their handhelds need to remember that they never do for their home consoles. While I do expect a more powerful switch, it's possible we won't see this till switch 2. Any meaningful leap forward is going to be hard to support legacy hardware.

It will be interesting to see how Nintendo handles generations moving forward. The switch will always be compared to mobile hardware that moves forward much faster.
Wii > Wii w/o gamecube ports > Wii mini

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I can see them doing a cellphone model for revisions. A new Switch every year. As long as they don't remove compatibility for Day 1 models.

I doubt Nintendo has any interest in the kind of R&D spending Apple and Samsung engage in to release new products on a yearly basis, and with the way Switch is selling, and the lack of the same kind of "arms race" you see in phones, there doesn't appear to be any reason to do so. Where is the demand for an incrementally upgraded yearly game console? Especially from Nintendo? Phones and game consoles are different industries and markets, with different sets of consumer expectations.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Chances are you'll be able to keep your existing Switch to play the same games, just not with the improved performance of the new model. That is, IF a new model is coming, which we don't know yet.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Everyone has hardware revisions. This isn't a new concept. Hardware revisions push console sales. Nintendo does it with all their handhelds, primarily.
But not with their home consoles. I personally think they will introduce a revision, but I think it's going to be a something like DSi or n3DS. But I'd rather have something like a PS4 pro that improves performance in games, some games would really benefit from it I think.

TigerGD

Oct 29, 2017

DYJQ8Z7VwAAjqml.jpg

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There is going to be a revision, obviously, but this isn't. The revision will be released by the end of 2019 I think.

This is probably something else, like a devkit or one of those changes that is not unannounced to the general public.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
But not with their home consoles. I personally think they will introduce a revision, but I think it's going to be a something like DSi or n3DS. But I'd rather have something like a PS4 pro that improves performance in games, some games would really benefit from it I think.
DSi, n3DS and PS4 Pro are all spec boosting revisions. Pro's actually the smallest jump of the 3 in all respects except GPU.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Has to be some kind of new support for the devkit. No way they are including info on a big revision so early.

But if it happens very early, I'm upgrading ofc.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you so obsessed with comparing them to phones? If that's the new standard I'm definitely out of touch with console gaming.
I don't upgrade phones every year, either. Looking at Pro and Xbox X sales I don't think I'm alone on that front, really.
Switch is a tablet in case you haven't noticed. It's perfectly suited for yearly revisions, even if minor or cosmetic.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
DSi, n3DS and PS4 Pro are all spec boosting revisions. Pro's actually the smallest jump of the 3 in all respects except GPU.
Yes, but their difference is mostly in the games. PS4 pro has lots of enhanced games making use of its boosted specs. DSi has DSi Ware and I don't know any game that benefits from it (perhaps Pokémon BW) and n3DS is a strange case. We have a handful of n3DS exclusives, and games that use the added power don't have any mention of it. (MH4U is a good example for it, and it improve the game THAT much)

The difference is in how PS4 pro uses the boosted specs vs n3DS or DSi.