• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Should we also archive the NX rumors that were announced earlier before 2016, appearing after Iwata's NX announcement in 2015?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting thread, especially to see what rumors are still out there and the record of various sources.

There are certain rumblings about things like Pokemon Stars and a Smash 4 port coming up enough from credible sources that I'm surprised we still haven't heard anything.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Liam is the definition of hit and miss, but not in a negative way. He has his sources, that's for sure,
but there is a reason why he moved away from public discussions to patreon only. Some people on twitter just get abusive if you miss
Hey but you also have to realize that sometimes...a lot of times...things change. They might have been reporting something 100% accurate at the time only for it to change last minute. For example...Devils third. Liam reported that Nintendo wasn't too happy with it and wasn't even gonna publish it. Then a bunch of people (myself included) jumped on him about when Nintendo came out and said they would. But when the game finally came out they barely pressed any copies and the game wasn't very good leading me to believe that he was probably right the whole time and Nintendo just decided to publish at the last minute.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
I'd been meaning to do something like this for a while as a wiki or something so I'm happy someone's actually gone through with it. It's always a pain when someone mentions a leak and you have to try an retroactively vet the source, I think being able to reference a given sources history of early info and leaks is really valuable when trying to sort the wheat from the chaff with rumours.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sakamoto talked a lot during E3 about wanting to make more 2D Metroid games and how SR was a revival for the series. He also seemed very happy to get a team to make these games (Mercury Steam), so I guess they always planned to keep developing 2D Metroid titles.

AgeOfZelda

Oct 27, 2017
There's no other info and no one here has vouched for that rumor.
As Johnneh stated already, its an unsubstantiated rumor on 4chan with no evidence whatsoever.
Link's Awakening was just an example. I'd be interested in any info about a good game or two to send the 3DS off on a high note.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I can see that prioritization. Makes sense. I just wanted to get a clear picture of how you envisioned it when it's complete. Sounds like you've got a good vision for it.

I do think every Laura Kate Dale rumor should be in there. Everyone latched onto those. If someone else doesn't find you some links, I'll try and find some when I have some extra time.

Please do, preferable from GAF threads since tweets can be deleted.

I figured you wouldn't (you seem like the type of person who wants respect due to her credentials and accomplishments, not her position). I was just talking to OP about it because he seemed to be dodging calling that leak a fake (his current classification for wrong). Even now, he still has your miss as "Fake, for now," and not colored text like the rest of them. Mother 3 in 2016 was a miss; it should be labeled and highlighted in the uniform format as such, OP. (EDIT: Just saw you highlighted it red now. That's an improvement, although the "for now" is still being kinder to that miss than other misses.)

On that note, OP, I would probably change the label of incorrect rumors to either "Incorrect," "disproven," or even "wrong," if you want it a bit more informal. It leaves it ambiguous as to who made the false information, or if something was changed, etc. We shouldn't be making those assumptions anyway, since we can't know. "Fake" is a little too presumptuous as to intentions.

You're right, I'll change fake to something else. As for the Mother 3 stuff, it shouldn't even be there since that's a Wii U rumor, but I firmly believe it will come out on Switch's eventual VC-like service (or whatever it is). Thus my note on that entry. The reason why the entry was not red originally is because I'm still updating and I'm still tinkering with every entry. I'm still settling on a 'standard' so I can follow it for every entry.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this was cleared up earlier, but OP is gonna do some earlier years right? There were some pretty crazy leaks like the Gematsu Smash Bros leaks, SuperMetalDave, Mario Maker, etc

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Should we also archive the NX rumors that were announced earlier before 2016, appearing after Iwata's NX announcement in 2015?

Post some examples.

Added. I remember rumors about the NX using X64 CPU too. Were those said by credible people? I also remember someone, either Emily or Laura being certain that it wasn't the case.

ReyVGM
Here's a thread about the Foxconn Leak (Source)

Infamous threads of Photoshopped and 3D Printed NX Controller (Sources: 1, 2)

Thanks. Will add. The 3d printed controller is so ridiculous (then, and now), but it gained so much traction that it's impossible not to add it.

Jan 5, 2018
Interesting thread, especially to see what rumors are still out there and the record of various sources.

There are certain rumblings about things like Pokemon Stars and a Smash 4 port coming up enough from credible sources that I'm surprised we still haven't heard anything.

Which credible sources? I haven't heard that, but it sounds interesting.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Post some examples.
Added. I remember rumors about the NX using X64 CPU too. Were those said by credible people? I also remember someone, either Emily or Laura being certain that it wasn't the case.

Here's some of the hardware stuff I reported.

May 2016: NX is not using x86 architecture like PS4 and XB1.

Sept 2016: Camera/Microphone are not built inside of the Switch console.

Sept 2016: Switch has 32GB of storage

Oct 2016:Switch has 4GB of ram.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Yeah I want to say the gameXplain guys said there were 6-7 games rumoured that were making the rounds with the youtubers on their prediction show

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this was cleared up earlier, but OP is gonna do some earlier years right? There were some pretty crazy leaks like the Gematsu Smash Bros leaks, SuperMetalDave, Mario Maker, etc

Canonically, this OP needs to include everything post-Acid Ghost and start with Acid Ghost.

Because Acid Ghost is the genesis of all things.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Sure.

1. NeoGAF kicked off the rumor suggesting the Nintendo NX may have scrollable shoulder buttons, based on pictures in a patent. (Source) (Sept. 17, 2015)
  2. GamesRadar+ speculated the Nintendo NX may use your neighbor's system to improve performances. (Source) (Dec. 9, 2015)
  3. The Japan Times reported Nintendo will be the first customer to use the free-form LCD screens. (Source) (Dec. 16, 2014). This led to a series of rumors in which spawned from the patent of the infamous oval-shaped NX console, hinting a touchscreen with protuded joystick controllers. (Source) (Dec. 11, 2015)
  4. Nintendo is considering ending region-locking. (Source) (May 11, 2015)
  5. VentureBeat speculated Nintendo NX will use AMD chipsets. (Source) (July 16, 2015)
  6. Nintendo NX developer kits have been sent out. (Source) (Oct. 16, 2015)
  7. Nintendo NX devkits is speculated to cost 50,000¥, or $500 USD. (Source) (Feb. 18, 2017)

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth the only recent rumors I can recall Emily missing on would be Mother 3, and the Switch's first year including Retro and Pikmin, although I don't remember if the latter was just speculation.

I do worry about this kind of thread though, perhaps it puts a bit too much attention on folks?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
For what it's worth the only recent rumors I can recall Emily missing on would be Mother 3, and the Switch's first year including Retro and Pikmin, although I don't remember if the latter was just speculation.

I do worry about this kind of thread though, perhaps it puts a bit too much attention on folks?
Nope. This is like your history book. We only record facts of rumors and their origins.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sure.

1. NeoGAF kicked off the rumor suggesting the Nintendo NX may have scrollable shoulder buttons, based on pictures in a patent. (Source)
  2. GamesRadar+ speculated the Nintendo NX may use your neighbor's system to improve performances. (Source)
  3. The Japan Times reported Nintendo will be the first customer to use the free-form LCD screens. (Source). This led to a series of rumors in which spawned from the patent of the infamous oval-shaped NX console, hinting a touchscreen with protuded joystick controllers. (Source)
  4. Nintendo is considering ending region-locking. (Source)
  5. VentureBeat speculated Nintendo NX will use AMD chipsets. (Source)
  6. Nintendo NX developer kits have been sent out. (Source)
  7. Nintendo NX devkits is speculated to cost 50,000¥, or $500 USD. (Source)
Oh man, I remember the scroulder button concept. I wish they followed up on that patent :(

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

If those are about the Wii U versions, then nope. I'm keeping it Switch only so far, with very minor 3DS stuff.

If those are about the Switch versions, then post links and I will post them. I'm still catching up with the ones I've found.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Oh man, I remember the scroulder button concept. I wish they followed up on that patent :(

Yeah, crazy how none of the scroulder buttons, "supplemental computing device," or freeform screen patents ended up going anywhere. NX speculation was a great lesson in not to assume too much from patents.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

That's a concern of mine as well. The entire admin staff will keep a careful eye on this thread.

If we see members insulting or harassing others over silly rumors, then we're just going to lock the thread.

We're not going to allow a thread that promotes bullying.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

By leaking info, they're already putting attention on themselves. Entire threads are usually made. This one just compiles them all.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Which credible sources? I haven't heard that, but it sounds interesting.
I'm mainly going off the unconfirmed rumors in the OP, as well as going off my own memory (which is a bit shaky on who said what at this point), but even some rumors I thought sounded off-the-wall and unrealistic have proven to be true, so I think if Eurogamer was able to get so many details in a leak on the Switch correct, they probably had some good sources on a supposed Pokemon Stars. I just mention both those games because they've been rumors that seem to have been given a high likelihood and have stuck out to me as there being some gain of truth to the rumor, yet we haven't heard anything.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm mainly going off the unconfirmed rumors in the OP, as well as going off my own memory (which is a bit shaky on who said what at this point), but even some rumors I thought sounded off-the-wall and unrealistic have proven to be true, so I think if Eurogamer was able to get so many details in a leak on the Switch correct, they probably had some good sources on a supposed Pokemon Stars. I just mention both those games because they've been rumors that seem to have been given a high likelihood and have stuck out to me as there being some gain of truth to the rumor, yet we haven't heard anything.
That's still speculation, and in my opinion, that warrants a new thread for discussion. :) Just so we can stay on topic for the archival process this thread is all about.

To ReyVGM , do you consider this as the latest rumor for your Rumors Archive?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/po...ed-for-2018-release-in-nintendo-survey.16663/

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you explain the foxconn one a bit? I'm not a tech guy so I don't know what's supposed to be true or false.
I'm not really either, and I'm away from my computer now so I can't practically look it all over, but some people think it was partially real because it got the battery capacity correct and kinda-sorta got the different colored joycons correct (they said blue and orange, and said it was for Splatoon--both incorrect). But they got some huge details so wrong that, personally, I think the whole thing was fake, but they threw so much crap at the wall that some of it stuck.

Sorry I can't go into more detail at the moment. I know Cerium made a thread about it once; maybe he can chime in.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a concern of mine as well. The entire admin staff will keep a careful eye on this thread.

If we see members insulting or harassing others over silly rumors, then we're just going to lock the thread.

Considering all the work that ReyVGM is putting into this, I think it would be unfair to him to lock it in him due to a few (as of now hypothetical) bad actors. Seems it would be more fair to warn or ban those doing any bullying, rather than punish ReyVGM for it. That is, unless this thread promoted bullying to the point it became an epidemic. Then I see a lock being fair.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

Wasn't Pokemon Stars a tech demo that people thought would be the next game

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
That's still speculation, and in my opinion, that warrants a new thread for discussion. :) Just so we can stay on topic for the archival process this thread is all about.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/po...ed-for-2018-release-in-nintendo-survey.16663/
Fair enough. I'm not trying to throw rampant speculation into the mix in a thread trying to weed out actual rumors from speculation.

I know that Laura Kate Dale was someone who chimed in about a Smash and Pokemon port, though I don't know when or how her rumors came about but given her track record as well as being someone who leaked the Mario + Rabbids really early on, I think that she's a credible additional source. I don't follow the rumors very closely, which is why a thread like this is interesting to me, since there really is a ton of bullshit to attempt to sort through, it's hard to know what rumors to take with a grain or a whole truck load of salt.

Looking at the OP again now, I did realize it's missing the Mario + Rabbids rumor. I'm not sure if it started here but I found an article from LPVG in November 2016 about it that I think was the first source to talk about a Mario and Rabbids RPG. That rumor seemed really out there until the internal Ubisoft documents leaked.

Wasn't Pokemon Stars a tech demo that people thought would be the next game
I don't know, but I didn notice that Eurogamer did a follow up on what happened to Pokemon Stars given that they had broken the story with the codename of the game. They apparently talked to their original sources but all the follow up basically says is that plans changed, so maybe it was scrapped as Pokemon Company decided to go with a new game made for the Switch rather than a port.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering all the work that ReyVGM is putting into this, I think it would be unfair to him to lock it in him due to a few (as of now hypothetical) bad actors. Seems it would be more fair to warn or ban those doing any bullying, rather than punish ReyVGM for it. That is, unless this thread promoted bullying to the point it became an epidemic. Then I see a lock being fair.
Some people get really aggressive about leaks for some reason, so I think it's fair to lock if this thread goes off-rail. The pre-Direct thread already had some really bad posts against the people who said a direct was happening just because of no announcement.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people get really aggressive about leaks for some reason, so I think it's fair to lock if this thread goes off-rail. The pre-Direct thread already had some really bad posts against the people who said a direct was happening just because of no announcement.
Right, but I still don't see why a scorched earth approach is preferable to dealing with the offenders, unless they are numerous enough that the direction of thread itself is hostile.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Please, before locking give me a chance to remove the usernames then. I mean, the bullies will probably be warned/banned, and if I remove the usernames (and sources even), then there shouldn't be a reason to lock it.

Will add it now that it has its own thread and mods have allowed it. I know it was first posted in this thread, but the rules say not to post new rumors here. I basically just want to archive credible rumors, I do not want the thread to become a dumping ground for new ones (I think I should request a thread title change). It's best if people keep posting rumors the same way they have been doing since the GAF days.

I'm not really either, and I'm away from my computer now so I can't practically look it all over, but some people think it was partially real because it got the battery capacity correct and kinda-sorta got the different colored joycons correct (they said blue and orange, and said it was for Splatoon--both incorrect). But they got some huge details so wrong that, personally, I think the whole thing was fake, but they threw so much crap at the wall that some of it stuck.

Sorry I can't go into more detail at the moment. I know Cerium made a thread about it once; maybe he can chime in.

I still have the tab open. Will check it out tomorrow then when I'm more rested. Right now my eyes hurt and my brain is malfunctioning reading tech rumors :P

Looking at the OP again now, I did realize it's missing the Mario + Rabbids rumor. I'm not sure if it started here but I found an article from LPVG in November 2016 about it that I think was the first source to talk about a Mario and Rabbids RPG. That rumor seemed really out there until the internal Ubisoft documents leaked.

Added. I had it on queue, but I have like a million tabs open of things I want to add, plus the stuff people are contributing here. I promise I read every post and will add everything that's pertinent.

Unfortunately I can't reply to every single post, but I do read them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.