• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please, before locking give me a chance to remove the usernames then. I mean, the bullies will probably be warned/banned, and if I remove the usernames (and sources even), then there shouldn't be a reason to lock it.

Will add it now that it has its own thread and mods have allowed it. I know it was first posted in this thread, but the rules say not to post new rumors here. I basically just want to archive credible rumors, I do not want the thread to become a dumping ground for new ones (I think I should request a thread title change). It's best if people keep posting rumors the same way they have been doing since the GAF days.

I still have the tab open. Will check it out tomorrow then when I'm more rested. Right now my eyes hurt and my brain is malfunctioning reading tech rumors :P

Added. I had it on queue, but I have like a million tabs open of things I want to add, plus the stuff people are contributing here. I promise I read every post and will add everything that's pertinent.

Unfortunately I can't reply to every single post, but I do read them.
Keep up the good work, man. I think a thread like this can be really helpful in keeping people's expectations in check regarding rumors.

Re: usernames, I think sources are very relevant to a rumor (an Emily Rogers or Eurogamer rumor holds a lot more weight than Anonymous on 4chan), because it helps you know when to listen and when to walk away. The problem is when people decide they don't want to walk away, they want to throw tomatoes. I haven't seen that in this thread yet, so I've got high hopes for it. Still, if some people trying to throw tomatoes do pop up, I think they should be dealt with individually, instead of flushing your work down the toilet.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks Pogijones. I hope it never comes to that.

By the way, does anyone remember where the Pokemon Stars rumor started? I seem to remember some list that leaked and it had Pokemon Stars in it or something?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread already got an article for NintendoEverything. Good job, OP.

Also, about Metroid rumors it's interesting to remember that Metroid Samus Returns had a 4chan "leak" (just text) literally the same day Federation Forces was announced and it was ignored in the same way. But well, this game got many leaks/rumors and people didn't actually believe in them.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Also, about Metroid rumors it's interesting to remember that Metroid Samus Returns had a 4chan "leak" (just text) literally the same day Federation Forces was announced and it was ignored in the same way. But well, this game got many leaks/rumors and people didn't actually believe in them.

We need a permanent source link, so ReyVGM can add them to the list. Right now, including my 7 contributions, are on hold, I believe.

Also, where is the article mentioned?

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks delete12345 :P

Hello Leakers, WHEN ARE YOU GUYS CONFIRMING CALL OF DUTY and GTA 5 for da Switcheroo

I know you are joking, but please refrain from posting stuff like this because it could easily derail the thread and get it locked. Mods have already warned several times this thread is on the verge of getting locked if people start begging, harassing, or posting fake rumors.

Cool. And Gonintendo too.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
This thread will be interesting. If a new direct, even a mini, happens this week cool. If it doesn't happen, eh, no biggie. Still, that previous direct where everyone was going crazy was entertaining.

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
Is this an actual rumor or is it a "I hope that this is being discussed" thinking from you?

I'm not trying be accusatory! I just really really want this to be a real thing!

This is a "I'm not close to the source, but everything else but this one thing from their list has come to pass, so I would think this would too but can't guarantee it" sort of thing.

For context, this list was also an E3 2017 internal list from Nintendo. Overwatch was neither announced nor on the showfloor. That means for it to have existed in that context it would have to have been a behind closed doors demo.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we put 10K's super incredible rumors (https://www./threads/rumor-nx-more-...oon-mario-maker-ports-in-development.1207224/)

Someone pls tell me how to hyperlink

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I always hate when new rumors comes up (is it fake or legit?), but I'm always interested when after the fact, said rumor is confirmed true or false.

Nice thread.

Also this thread reminded me... With the latest Nintendo Direct... Everyone probably thinks about Chibi Robo or the various industry Twitter accounts hinting at stuff. But really, it was the EA document leak that was the true MVP.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah I always hate when new rumors comes up (is it fake or legit?), but I'm always interested when after the fact, said rumor is confirmed true or false.

Nice thread.

Also this thread reminded me... With the latest Nintendo Direct... Everyone probably thinks about Chibi Robo or the various industry Twitter accounts hinting at stuff. But really, it was the EA document leak that was the true MVP.
The EA leak was actually a key piece many overlooked when creating fake Direct software lists. Hardly any said EA's Fe would be at the Direct; despite that being the reason talk of a January Direct even began.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This is a "I'm not close to the source, but everything else but this one thing from their list has come to pass, so I would think this would too but can't guarantee it" sort of thing.

For context, this list was also an E3 2017 internal list from Nintendo. Overwatch was neither announced nor on the showfloor. That means for it to have existed in that context it would have to have been a behind closed doors demo.
Oh wow that's interesting. So there's some validity to it.

I really hope it goes through and everything. I'd love to play Overwatch on the Switch!

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sure.

1. NeoGAF kicked off the rumor suggesting the Nintendo NX may have scrollable shoulder buttons, based on pictures in a patent. (Source) (Sept. 17, 2015)
  2. GamesRadar+ speculated the Nintendo NX may use your neighbor's system to improve performances. (Source) (Dec. 9, 2015)
  3. The Japan Times reported Nintendo will be the first customer to use the free-form LCD screens. (Source) (Dec. 16, 2014). This led to a series of rumors in which spawned from the patent of the infamous oval-shaped NX console, hinting a touchscreen with protuded joystick controllers. (Source) (Dec. 11, 2015)
  4. Nintendo is considering ending region-locking. (Source) (May 11, 2015)
  5. VentureBeat speculated Nintendo NX will use AMD chipsets. (Source) (July 16, 2015)
  6. Nintendo NX developer kits have been sent out. (Source) (Oct. 16, 2015)
  7. Nintendo NX devkits is speculated to cost 50,000¥, or $500 USD. (Source) (Feb. 18, 2017)

Thanks, but I won't add patent stuff because the patents never said it was for the NX/Switch. People speculated based on those patents and assumed it was Switch stuff, but nothing came from actual sources (fake or not). Non-patent stuff will be added though.

*edit*
Ok, let me be a bit more specific.

1-3 are patent stuff. Will not add as mentioned above.
4- Is added, but I'm leaning against it because this is not a leak or rumor, it's a message directly from Nintendo's president. However, since the decision was uncertain at the time, I guess I'll leave it. But I don't believe I'll add official statements like this unless they are vague statements (see the Reggie quotes about Metroid).
5-7 are added.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
*edit*
Ok, let me be a bit more specific.

1-3 are patent stuff. Will not add as mentioned above.
4- Is added, but I'm leaning against it because this is not a leak or rumor, it's a message directly from Nintendo's president. However, since the decision was uncertain at the time, I guess I'll leave it. But I don't believe I'll add official statements like this unless they are vague statements (see the Reggie quotes about Metroid).
5-7 are added.

May I request to add an addendum to the OP? It would explain a lot.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Awesome thread ReyVGM

Just wanted to suggest that you list everything in reverse chronological order so that we can see the latest rumours first rather than having to scroll through a whole bunch to get to the latest info.

It's not so much a problem now, but it will be as the list grows in length.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
May I request to add an addendum to the OP? It would explain a lot.

For 1-3? Personally I don't see how they explain a lot since none of what those patents show ended up on the Switch. Now, if Nintendo's next system has scrollwheels or freeform LCD's, then yeah, those posts would be super relevant.

Or do you mean an explanation as to what I consider to be relevant?

By the way, I apologize that you took the time to post such a well-written post only for me not to use it all.

Awesome thread ReyVGM

Just wanted to suggest that you list everything in reverse chronological order so that we can see the latest rumours first rather than having to scroll through a whole bunch to get to the latest info.

It's not so much a problem now, but it will be as the list grows in length.

I see what you mean, I'll keep it in mind.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I can't believe people thought Reggie was blowing smoke when he teased Metroid within a year's time. That was way too damn specific to not lead to something. I'm surprised he was allowed to say that actually.

Riskman

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people thought Reggie was blowing smoke when he teased Metroid within a year's time. That was way too damn specific to not lead to something. I'm surprised he was allowed to say that actually.
He also teased Mother 3 at the same time, if I'm not mistaken, and we haven't seen or heard anything about that.

Dreyarn

Oct 28, 2017
He also teased Mother 3 at the same time, if I'm not mistaken, and we haven't seen or heard anything about that.
He was asked about Mother 3 and answered talking about Metroid. Some people think he was talking about both, but I think he just avoided that first subject because I'm a pessimist about Mother 3 :(

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Subscribed. What is a video game forum but a miserable little pile of secrets?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
What about Reggie's Metroid pin?
Add that to the pile! I'm actually semi serious.

reggie_metroid.png

Confirmed (lol)

I figure he knew about Nintendo making or planning on making a new Metroid around that time. I don't think he wore that for shits and giggles.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018

Confirmed (lol)

I figure he knew about Nintendo making or planning on making a new Metroid around that time. I don't think he wore that for shits and giggles.

I love these kind of hints they give throughout shows etc. Reminds me of that time Shawn entered the stage in a Crash Bandicoot shirt only to not announce it for a good few months.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is shaping up very nicely! Kudos to ReyVGM and all others who works on putting it together!

Heck yea!

reggie_metroid.png

Confirmed (lol)

Was that on the same date as the Metroid comments? I know you posted a pic, but I need a source to a news site or forum post about it.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Was that on the same date as the Metroid comments? I know you posted a pic, but I need a source to a news site or forum post about it.

That was one of the TGA shows. I believe it was 2013. Everyone saw that live and many people noticed it and wondered if it meant something. Didn't Geoff Keighley even point it out? Wasn't that when fucking Cranky Kong was revealed?

https://kotaku.com/nintendos-appearance-on-the-vgx-was-awkward-1478774490

Ps. I have no idea how to hyperlink.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an awesome thread idea, thanks ReyVGM for investing this huge amount of time in it!

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Do you have SemiAccurate's rumour about Nintendo using Nvidia Tegra, back when we all thought there would be a NX handheld and NX console?

https://www./threads/semiaccurate-nintendo-nx-handheld-to-use-nvidia-tegra-based-soc.1218933/

Last edited:

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Interesting thread! Thank you for the archival service. Much obliged.

Speaking of leak, the 4chan thread back in January 2017 that spell out the reveal lineup entirely hasn't added to the OP.

switchleak4chan.png

Linkie here if needed.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting thread! Thank you for the archival service. Much obliged.

Speaking of leak, the 4chan thread back in January 2017 that spell out the reveal lineup entirely hasn't added to the OP.

switchleak4chan.png

Linkie here if needed.

Even though this specific source was correct, I believe the site is in the "without track record" category, due to the anonymity of the sources on that site? Isn't the fake leaks there in majority, appearing at almost every Direct?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Even though this specific source was correct, I believe the site is in the "without track record" category, due to the anonymity of the sources on that site? Isn't the fake leaks there in majority, appearing at almost every Direct?
yes, 4chan does not need to be given any benefit of the doubt. this was a lucky accident. this can of worms should not be opened.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Good work OP, having a thread like this is very useful. It's also very useful for the true insiders themselves to keep track of the reliability of the good ones. Obviously we've got to keep in mind that things change throughout a long period of time, and it's probably what happened with Mother 3 Wii U and Pokémon Stars.

Back to the thread, should we add the Beyond Good & Evil 2 on Switch rumors from LKD? She said that it should have been featured on the january reveal event one year ago if I'm not mistaken

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That "MercurySteam denies they pitched Metroid to Nintendo." looks really bad now... What should we call that? "Fake PR"?
That's just normal PR. :)

It's what NDAs are for. You can otherwise post every single "no plans" comment here too (currently happening with the netflix thing ..."no plans" turns into "still trying" which means they do have plans meaning it's BS to say "no plans") It's just what you do when you're not ready to announce and are bound by NDA.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017

whenever this fact is brought up in threads the internet goes crazy, always in absolute denial and even pissed off

I understand it is ancient hardware and we have Switch as the new portable but why Nintendo throwing the 3DS a bone or two in 2018 triggers gamers so hard, I will never understand.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome thread. Gonna try to help with older rumors. Here's a few I remember:

• LPVG: All three Dark Souls on Switch (Source). Partially confirmed with DS Remaster, and Laura Dale still claims 2 and 3 could be coming (Source).
  • Eurogamer: Nintendo has a working GameCube emulator for Switch (Source). Still unconfirmed.
  • Laura Dale: Several first year Switch titles (Source). Only about half turned out correct.
  • Laura Dale: Her bingo card (Source). Mixed bag. Can't believe "no friend codes" of all was wrong XD
  • 10k: Bunch of rumors on GAF (Source). Turned out to be totally false.

Deleted member 32359

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Why new rumors can't be posted here? Serious question.
Visibility? Have to talk to mods before posting?
Since most rumors can't be qualified as news it's not like 'new news new threads' rule imo

Oct 30, 2017
Wonderful 101
GTAV
South Park
Burnout Paradise
Tomb Raider
Scribblenauts Showdown

These are the rumoured games we are waiting for confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.