• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Defeats the whole purpose of this thread and OPS purpose then, which was "To discuss new and old rumors". If they can't even be posted what's the point of this thread lol

The purpose of this thread is to be a rumors ARCHIVE. The "no new rumors" thing is an attempt to counteract "I read this on 4chan" "my uncle works at nintendo" nonsense that hasn't gone through its own cycle of vetting and evaluation before it gets added to the archive. This thread is what the internet is so often missing: a filter. No need to throw every single scrap of nonsense in here that makes people lose sight of valuable sources and information. If we just randomly posted every new thing in here we'd end up with a bloated thread like all those Direct speculation/hype threads. New stuff can get its own thread and then be added here later.

Wonderful 101
GTAV
South Park
Burnout Paradise
Tomb Raider
Scribblenauts Showdown

These are the rumoured games we are waiting for confirmation.
We need to distinguish between rumor and what would be more accurately described as an information leak when it concerns game ratings (Burnout) or retailer listings (Scribblenauts). These things aren't rumors.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
Interesting thread! Thank you for the archival service. Much obliged.

Speaking of leak, the 4chan thread back in January 2017 that spell out the reveal lineup entirely hasn't added to the OP.

switchleak4chan.png

Linkie here if needed.
By the way, be careful when leaking info.

I am not Nintendo, but that post has too much information. The list of games is specific to one event in one small country and the person was even dumb enough to state their job.

If I was Nintendo, I'd almost definitely know who that person was.

Anyway, cool thread : )

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Can we put 10K's super incredible rumors (https://www./threads/rumor-nx-more-...oon-mario-maker-ports-in-development.1207224/)

Someone pls tell me how to hyperlink
I remember he got extremely defensive about it and when the time came literally everything was wrong. I don't understand how you can claim to have sources and not one thing is right unless you were just straight up trolling from day one.

The Smash Wiki has its own section about leaks, but even that doesn't truly chronicle the amount of insanity that sprung forth. You can also check out the rumors page for things that turned out to be false. Here are some highlights:

+Gematsu teases possible Smash characters, only for all of them to be revealed at E3 (including unpredictable ones like Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer). They had a series of other successes in calling characters, until they said Chrom would be playable in Smash. That turned out to be wrong, and thus future Gematsu predictions were met with extreme skepticism.
+Also before E3, a poster named Ninka on Smashboards posts that some characters will have specific color schemes as alternate costumes. A bit hard to prove and easy to guess (a BLUE Mario???). He then comes back in July correctly announcing the cut characters and several newcomers, including the Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr. with Koopaling skins. At this time, a 4chan rumor is posted agreeing with the above info, yet they also added in a few characters like Ridley and Dixie Kong. Another poster named Vaanrose verifies Ninka's leak, using color palettes as proof. Now this is all extremely shaky as the only proof is that "I knew there would be a green Bowser" but it turned out everything was true. The 4chan rumor was completely false, yet so many people hung onto it thinking that the Wii U version would have additional characters.
+"Tower of Smash" rumor. It claimed the Wii U version would have a gauntlet-like mode where you progressed up a tower by winning battles. It also stated that linking the 3DS and Wii U games unlocked Chorus Men, Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, and Impa.
+Photos of the character select screen apparently from the ESRB. Instantly the pixel hunting and cross-referencing began (RIP Little Shulk). Out of nowhere, videos of gameplay popped up, proving everything to be correct. Footage leaking from the ESRB was absolutely unheard of at the time and I don't think it's happened since.
+Photos of Paulatena in Smash before she was announced. These were randomly revealed as fake during the ESRB leak by the creator.
+The "trophy leak" where people thought trophies showcased during a Direct was teasing future characters (they weren't)
+Rayman. A very believable video of Rayman being a DLC character. A day later the creator showed how he did it.
+Shovel Knight in Smash. A heavily pushed rumor that Shovel Knight would be a DLC character. This was undoubtedly based on the info that he would soon get an amiibo, and at the time only Smash amiibos existed. A classic case of jumping to conclusions.
+Roy and Ryu sound files and data accidentally being in a random update, thus ruining the surprise.

This doesn't even include the countless unverified rumors that popped up every day on GAF, Reddit, 4chan, and GameFAQs. Truly a wild west of speculation.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

I am not Nintendo, but that post has too much information. The list of games is specific to one event in one small country and the person was even dumb enough to state their job.

probably a day hire who didn't care about his NDA

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo had several of these events all over Europe, the list of games was roughly the same at each. There are also lots of people who work setting those events up, so there are literally dozens of people who would have been in a position to leak information. I don't think they identified him, honestly.

I remember he got extremely defensive about it and when the time came literally everything was wrong. I don't understand how you can claim to have sources and not one thing is right unless you were just straight up trolling from day one.

I don't think he was trolling or trying to be malicious. He just somewhat naively trusted the wrong people. IIRC he simply asked on Twitter if people with inside knowledge could DM him what they know, some people responded, but he didn't or couldn't verify if these people actually are who they say they are.

Happens. Only another remainder not to blindly trust anything just because the leaker seems to be cool.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
Nintendo had several of these events all over Europe, the list of games was roughly the same at each. There are also lots of people who work setting those events up, so there are literally dozens of people who would have been in a position to leak information. I don't think they identified him, honestly.
Hmm, are you sure? I don't recall many events, although it would make sense.

I only know of one big one that I attended as a fan and the games list looks nigh identical to what was on the floor.

I also heard some... things about somebody getting into trouble for leaking info and that post basically cements my suspicion.

Anyway, I just figured Nintendo might be more observant than we give them credit for, so I would always be careful, just in case XD

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Sammy teases Rayman Legends Vita; port officially announced 3 months later

https://www./threads/konami-would-a...-fate-hd-console-version.511582/post-47297117

Sammy leaks Mirror of Fate HD; developer calls him a liar

https://www./threads/konami-would-a...-fate-hd-console-version.511582/post-47296615

nefkWca.png

22698-1.jpg

This is just for fun. I used to date someone but we don't talk anymore.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Blizzard rumor intrigues me, it's probably Hearthstone but it really should be Diablo 3.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Blizzard would be worried about the viability of the game on the small screen. Too much stuff going on would be confusing. Apologies, I can't remember where I read that so feel free to ignore me, but I'm not expecting it. I think it will, unfortunately, be Hearthstone.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
No new rumours - not sure I get this thread - is it to discuss old rumours that came true? They cease to be rumours at that point no?

neon_pirate

Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed the brief afternoon, when it went crazy for Climax Studios working on a Metroid. Fun times.

All came about from 1 tweet of a Zelda mug.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No new rumours - not sure I get this thread - is it to discuss old rumours that came true? They cease to be rumours at that point no?

It's to compile rumors- true or false, over or continuing- so that they can easily be referenced. It lets us see a leaker's track record for rumors that have come true or false, and find actual sources and original wording for rumors that are still ongoing.

It's a fantastic idea I think.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Blizzard would be worried about the viability of the game on the small screen. Too much stuff going on would be confusing. Apologies, I can't remember where I read that so feel free to ignore me, but I'm not expecting it. I think it will, unfortunately, be Hearthstone.

Well at least Titan Quest is locked in.

The original source for that rumor clarified in this thread that the game was Overwatch, and it was due to be shown at E3 but for some reason not publicly shown.

Ah, my bad, I skimmed and missed that. Interesting, I imagine it would run if scaled down and it's a good fit.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I personally consider a W101 Switch port all but confirmed since Kamiya has been replying to requests like this

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can we put 10K's super incredible rumors (https://www./threads/rumor-nx-more-...oon-mario-maker-ports-in-development.1207224/)

Someone pls tell me how to hyperlink
I paid my price. Nate and Emily (as in on ERA) understand the context of those rumors and what really happened. I apologized. All the hardware stuff was spectacular wrong due to trusting the wrong people in private.

FWIW, the software stuff I actually still do believe in, particularly Luigi's Mansion 3 by Next Level Games and Mario Maker being reworked for Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I personally consider a W101 Switch port all but confirmed since Kamiya has been replying to requests like this

I heard that it will be announced next week in gaming magazines.

Seriously though, I hope you're not serious. Kamiya says all kinds of stuff and it makes sense that he'd like to see it everywhere if it was possible. But he's not the one to make that decision.

That said, there has been some other possible teasing about it, but we'll see

CoL

Oct 25, 2017
If all the rumors proven wrong won't be posted it defeats the purpose of the thread IMO, only like 50% of the rumors by the reliable insiders in early 2017 about Switch ended up being true, yet the 2017 reads like a tremendous success.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Would be extremely funny if the new 2D Metroid turns out to be Metroid Prime 4. Laughs and salty tears will be had.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There was a thread just an hour ago? Or did i read it wrong?
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3355654/

Oh, there's nothing about 2.5D in the original rumor. I have no idea where that came from. The original source is in the OP at the bottom of the 2017 section.

Would be extremely funny if the new 2D Metroid turns out to be Metroid Prime 4. Laughs and salty tears will be had.

It's already been confirmed by Nintendo to be first person.

Buffum

Nov 17, 2017
If all the rumors proven wrong won't be posted it defeats the purpose of the thread IMO, only like 50% of the rumors by the reliable insiders in early 2017 about Switch ended up being true, yet the 2017 reads like a tremendous success.
This.
Only posting the rumors that turned out true paints a false narrative.

Deleted member 3769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, there's nothing about 2.5D in the original rumor. I have no idea where that came from. The original source is in the OP at the bottom of the 2017 section.
I don't think you're following, this rumours 2.5D or not is not in the 2018 rumours of this thread. Shouldn't someone add it?

Edit: never mind, i thought it was a 2018 rumour.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This.
Only posting the rumors that turned out true paints a false narrative.

It's a bit of a monumental task, I believe the OP said he will work on those after getting to the more current rumors.

I don't think you're following, this rumours 2.5D or not is not in the 2018 rumours of this thread. Shouldn't someone add it?

Edit: never mind, i thought it was a 2018 rumour.

Yeah the rumor originated in 2017, which is why it's in the 2017 section. The game likely won't be until 2019 or later.

Deleted member 3769

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of netflix the other day, there was this rumour from a user in neogaf, before leaving in the neogaf fallout:

https://www./threads/ive-left-clues-to-new-game-announcements-for-years.1454191/#post-252807016

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to find the exact posts and link it but a little while ago in the "Bamco 3 exclusives for the Switch thread" Zhuge hinted at them working on a first party Nintendo title that would be a fourth entry in a franchise and also separate from the three exclusives they have planned, seems like he wasn't talking about Smash as well.

Post#1
Post#2
Post#3
Post#4

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to find the exact posts and link it but a little while ago in the "Bamco 3 exclusives for the Switch thread" Zhuge hinted at them working on a first party Nintendo title that would be a fourth entry in a franchise, seems like he wasn't talking about Smash as well.

3 Namco exclusives coming to switch?

Here's the next two relevant links- https://www.resetera.com/threads/3-namco-exclusives-coming-to-switch.4587/page-3#post-660577 https://www.resetera.com/threads/3-namco-exclusives-coming-to-switch.4587/page-3#post-661031

Status
Not open for further replies.