• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
The point is, going as far as midway through the second year of the console's life cycle to figure out your online service is a joke in this day and age.
It's is a joke they're even trying to charge for the online service when they never got it right while being free in the first place.

Now, you'll have to pay for services that still will be terrible with the most barebones online experience.
But yay! NES games with online.

Oct 26, 2017
It really feels like it should be pretty easy to do friend voice chat on Switch.

No one even wants global voice chat anymore because people are often awful, but friend voice chat is still pretty nice...

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please correct me, but didn't ShockingAlberto (or someone else?) from GAF reported that Monolith Soft was working on a new ambitious Xenoblade title in late 2016? They also said that the overall combat system would be similar to past Xenoblade games.

Edit: Yep, it was ShockingAlberto

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Interesting thread! Subscribed!

My guess: Mother 3 would have happened with the release of Virtual Console, but Virtual Console is never coming out after the SNES and NES Classic so RIP Mother 3.
Yup, this is what I believe too. A lot of people still seem to be expecting Virtual Console in Switch, but I don't think that's ever happening. They've found a new avenue to sell their classic games with the Classic Consoles now, and it's doing very well for them. They're also making more of them available this year, too, and are continuing to sell them, indicating they aren't a limited time thing.

That wouldn't make sense because the classic consoles only have 30 or so games, the snes had more than 30 games

So we are stuck with that limited amount forever?

If they would have offered an online store on the nes or snes Classic that offered all of them then I could see how that would have killed the VC but there isnt
No. First-off, iterative machines are all the rage these days, and Nintendo could go that route for the Classic Consoles. As in, you get NES Classic Vol. 2 and an SNES Classic Vol.2 with different libraries of games, and then maybe Vol. 3 the year after that, etc. Secondly, you might say "but they're leaving a lot of money on the table!" and that might be true, but the Classic Consoles are no doubt very cheap for them to produce, and probably make them a tidy profit, especially when they can charge $60-80 a pop for one, as opposed to $5-10 a pop for VC games.

I don't want it to be, but I think VC is obviously dead and buried, now. We'd have gotten it on Switch by now if it wasn't, man.

Last edited:

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
You should include Smash Bros being in development for Switch ever since early 2016 by Dr Toto. You could find his tweets by using Google. I can't upload it on imgur to link here.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There have been way more fake rumors than real ones. It seems weird that you're picking just a handful of the fake ones and far outnumbering the fake ones with the real ones. It gives the impression that rumors and leakers have a better batting average than they actually have.

You should choose to either exclude all fake rumors and only keep the ones that turned out true, or fully represent the fake leaks. For example, there have been a ton of fake 4chan leaks, and fake reddit leaks. And Laura Kate Dale missed a whole bunch on the software side of the Switch (Mario at launch, Zelda delayed, Silver Case, etc.)

Also, I trust Emily for the most part, but she missed Mother 3 in 2016. Your explanation next to it is really weird. Just because she's an admin here doesn't mean you can't label it fake (or wrong). Label it accurately, especially if you want this archive to be taken seriously.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
But Switch's launch year is indeed one of the best ever.

My pet peeve with some fans is they get delusions of grandeur and can't see the forest from the trees and we all have to suffer through their meltdowns and constant negativity after an event.
I wasn't talking launch year.

I was talking launch day, you should've seen the expectations for the launch line-up. They were insane. Hell I think I even believe some of the leaks after a few came true before the reveal.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, this is what I believe too. A lot of people still seem to be expecting Virtual Console in Switch, but I don't think that's ever happening. They've found a new avenue to sell their classic games with the Classic Consoles now, and it's doing very well for them. They're also making more of them available this year, too, and are continuing to sell them, indicating they aren't a limited time thing.

No. First-off, iterative machines are all the rage these days, and Nintendo could go that route for the Classic Consoles. As in, you get NES Classic Vol. 2 and an SNES Classic Vol.2 with different libraries of games, and then maybe Vol. 3 the year after that, etc. Secondly, you might say "but they're leaving a lot of money on the table!" and that might be true, but the Classic Consoles are no doubt very cheap for them to produce, and probably make them a tidy profit, especially when they can charge $60-80 a pop for one, as opposed to $5-10 a pop for VC games.

I don't want it to be, but I think VC is obviously dead and buried, now. We'd have gotten it on Switch by now if it wasn't, man.
Classic consoles will NOT replace VC.

Classic consoles are novelty items that appeal to collectors and people who are nostalgic for their childhood games.

VC is for Nintendo fans who want their past classics on the most current Nintendo hardware.

They are not appealing to the same audience and having classic consoles replace VC is just leaving money on the table.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Classic consoles will NOT replace VC.

Classic consoles are novelty items that appeal to collectors and people who are nostalgic for their childhood games.

VC is for Nintendo fans who want their past classics on the most current Nintendo hardware.

They are not appealing to the same audience and having classic consoles replace VC is just leaving money on the table.
Also, there's the fact that the NES and SNES libraries are much larger than 30 & 21 games, respectively.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Everything on my list was accurate and came to pass by the end of the event. We weren't sure I got Metroid right initially since the 2D Metroid was announced during the Treehouse event.

Only thing that hasn't shown up at this point is Overwatch...

Yeah! And my wife is excited about that one.

Link so I can add it to the OP?

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
There have been way more fake rumors than real ones. It seems weird that you're picking just a handful of the fake ones and far outnumbering the fake ones with the real ones. It gives the impression that rumors and leakers have a better batting average than they actually have.

You should choose to either exclude all fake rumors and only keep the ones that turned out true, or fully represent the fake leaks. For example, there have been a ton of fake 4chan leaks, and fake reddit leaks. And Laura Kate Dale missed a whole bunch on the software side of the Switch (Mario at launch, Zelda delayed, Silver Case, etc.)

Also, I trust Emily for the most part, but she missed Mother 3 in 2016. Your explanation next to it is really weird. Just because she's an admin here doesn't mean you can't label it fake (or wrong). Label it accurately, especially if you want this archive to be taken seriously.
I agree. I thought this thread would be a record of past rumors, not just the ones that came true. The amount of incorrect rumors for Smash alone could fill a book.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
It really feels like it should be pretty easy to do friend voice chat on Switch.

No one even wants global voice chat anymore because people are often awful, but friend voice chat is still pretty nice...

It's not a technical problem, they actually like the phone solution. They think it's nice, and they're resistant to change it. You know, like crazy people.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't talking launch year.

I was talking launch day, you should've seen the expectations for the launch line-up. They were insane. Hell I think I even believe some of the leaks after a few came true before the reveal.

Those were pipe dreams, I never believe them. Even comparisons to Wii U's giant launch window lineup rang hallow when you consider most of them were third party ports that poisoned the well. This goes back to my delusions of grandeur talk. No console has launched with anything like people imagined Switch would.
And no surprise it didn't

But the library filled up quick, especially with digital. 90% of the time, people hang on to 1 specific game. They want Smash or Pokemon or Animal Crossing and if those don't show it's immediately a disappointment.

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

So a person will need 5 nes classics on their tv stand and 7 snes classics in order to have all the games? Nah I don't see it

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas

this doesn't make sense as it cuts off revenue and also doesn't allow for other 3rd parties to release old games to grab some cash. bare minimum the actual VC name goes away but we get strait up switch versions like the neogeo titles...

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I'm still working on it. I want to focus on true rumors and likely rumors and leave the (old) fake ones for last. I understand your point, but it's really hard to fill the OP with the million fake NX rumors we got, specially since most of them sound ridiculous in hindsight. I also noted in the OP that I won't be posting everything that comes out of 4chan/reddit. But I understand it's supposed to be an archive, so I'll try to do my best.

Also, if you have a thread or post with an old likely rumor that is now fake, please post it here. Unfortunately I will not go through all the NeoGAF NX speculation threads to find a bunch of fake rumors.

I agree. I thought this thread would be a record of past rumors, not just the ones that came true. The amount of incorrect rumors for Smash alone could fill a book.

See above. Will do my best, but only fake rumors I'll post are the ones that came from sites/people with reputation for getting it right (sometimes). There's a posting limit and I don't intend to fill it up with old fake rumors. Going forward, everything that falls into the rules I've set, will be posted. If they all turn to be fake, then so be it.

I can get one to you, just not right this moment. Can't get into my account on the old forums and have to make parent phone calls for the next while.

Ah, the joys of poor student behavior.

Whenever you can.

Last edited:

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
ERA mocolostrocolos has heard there's a new 2D Metroid in development:

AFAIK, there's an unannounced 2D Metroid game on development on a really early production state.
Can't say the studio though, don't want to jeopardize my source.
Source

In 2016 and 2017, the same user teased Metroid: Samus Returns *Confirmed

Dat Metroid 2 remake for 3DS.
Source

I wonder if Nintendo will send C&D once they announce the Metroid 2 Rremake they're working on.
Source

Welp, that makes sense considering there's something going on with Metroid 2...
Source

Time to finally announce the Metroid 2 Remake.
Source

I know there's a studio (not Retro) that has been working on a Metroid game for a long time. Game went into development hell but now seems to be fine.
Don't know if will release for 3DS or Switch, though. As I said, it's been a loooong time.
That said, can't really backup my statements without putting in jeopardy my sources.
Source

Would you be able to comment as to whether it's a studio owned by Nintendo or not? I mean to ask if it's one of their usual studios, or partner studios, or if its an outside developer.
Not internal.
Source

Who wants to take the bet a month of avatar choice of the winner that Metroid will show up for 3DS?
Source

Last edited:

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Lol I love how everyone ignored mocolostrocolos' posts. It was right there on their faces hehe

Oct 26, 2017
New 2D Metroid for Switch confirmed then?

I think a new 2D Metroid for Switch was confirmed by the ending of Samus Returns ;)

Will be curious how much money they spend on Metroid 5. It's going to have to have huge production values to justify costing 3-4x more than stuff like Steamworld Dig (unless they decide to make 2D Metroid a $20 game).

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
-Eurogamer: Switch's screen is 6.2'', 720P, capacitive. (Source) *Confirmed

For what it's worth: Eurogamer's report was published late October 2016.

I reported on Switch's screen being 6"2 inch 720p multi-touch in August 2016. That's two months earlier than Eurogamer's report.

I don't expect to receive special treatment in this thread just because I am an administrator.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth: Eurogamer's report was published late October 2016.

I reported on Switch's screen being 6"2 inch 720p multi-touch in August 2016. That's two months earlier than Eurogamer's report.

I don't expect to receive special treatment in this thread just because I am an administrator.
Do you think mother 3 was canceled or just being held back, did you ever hear anymore about that?

I still believe it's coming personally, the rumors were too strong back then

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Why are some people so eager to have the OP overrun with every single rumor or leak that ended up false? Retribution for the dastardly leakers or something?

That's goofy. Who cares? Either these people have access to information, or they don't. I'm far more interested in the stuff that came out accurate and the stuff still pending.

Oct 26, 2017
Nate, thank you for confirming "Thief Deadly Shadow 2"

(Guys, remember when Square tried to reboot Thief? I had completely forgotten about that)

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still working on it. I want to focus on true rumors and likely rumors and leave the (old) fake ones for last. I understand your point, but it's really hard to fill the OP with the million fake NX rumors we got, specially since most of them sound ridiculous in hindsight. I also noted in the OP that I won't be posting everything that comes out of 4chan/reddit. But I understand it's supposed to be an archive, so I'll try to do my best.

Also, if you have a thread or post with an old likely rumor that is now fake, please post it here. Unfortunately I will not go through all the NeoGAF NX speculation threads to find a bunch of fake rumors.
I can see that prioritization. Makes sense. I just wanted to get a clear picture of how you envisioned it when it's complete. Sounds like you've got a good vision for it.

I do think every Laura Kate Dale rumor should be in there. Everyone latched onto those. If someone else doesn't find you some links, I'll try and find some when I have some extra time.

I figured you wouldn't (you seem like the type of person who wants respect due to her credentials and accomplishments, not her position). I was just talking to OP about it because he seemed to be dodging calling that leak a fake (his current classification for wrong). Even now, he still has your miss as "Fake, for now," and not colored text like the rest of them. Mother 3 in 2016 was a miss; it should be labeled and highlighted in the uniform format as such, OP. (EDIT: Just saw you highlighted it red now. That's an improvement, although the "for now" is still being kinder to that miss than other misses.)

On that note, OP, I would probably change the label of incorrect rumors to either "Incorrect," "disproven," or even "wrong," if you want it a bit more informal. It leaves it ambiguous as to who made the false information, or if something was changed, etc. We shouldn't be making those assumptions anyway, since we can't know. "Fake" is a little too presumptuous as to intentions.

Oct 27, 2017
Good idea for a thread. Be sure to round up all the leaks LKD and Liam got blatantly wrong, might be a bit difficult since they've deleted a bunch of stuff though.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Can anyone link me to Zhuge's post/hint about Namco working on a fourth game in a Nintendo franchise? That's a potentially huge one that should be added to the OP.
Most of us think it's Prime 4, right?

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone please correct me, but didn't ShockingAlberto (or someone else?) from GAF reported that Monolith Soft was working on a new ambitious Xenoblade title in late 2016? They also said that the overall combat system would be similar to past Xenoblade games.

Edit: Yep, it was ShockingAlberto
Xenoblade 2 lol????

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not comfortable with "fake" status of the rumor as it implies a lie or some sort? I think "false" is the better term.

Thanks for making the thread tho, it's fascinating looking back at some really wild rumors.

AgeOfZelda

Oct 27, 2017
Do 3DS have a place here? I'd like to know if there's any more info on the supposed Link's Awakening Remake/ Reimagining.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Hopefully this works. This was the first post I made and I slowly teased out other announcements.

https://www./threads/easy-allies-e3-2017-streaming-thread-schedule.1388887/post-240442724

Have you heard recently that Overwatch is still coming? I totally understand if you can't answer.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Ah yeah, the times when Emily posted leaks on her Blog. Good times.

I wouldn't be to harsh with Lauras list, nothing of the list seems too out there in hindsight. (Xenoblade 2was probably mistaken for a port, etc)
She also wast absolutely sure of that list, because she only posted it on twitter instead of LPVG.

Liam is the definition of hit and miss, but not in a negative way. He has his sources, that's for sure,
but there is a reason why he moved away from public discussions to patreon only. Some people on twitter just get abusive if you miss.

Maybe it would be good to split the thread into
Nintendo Rumor Archive & Nintendo Rumor Archive Discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.