• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Conduit is funny because it got so much attention when the best FPS on the system was clearly Eurocom's GoldenEye remake/reimagining (ignoring the Metroid Prime games).
To be fair, The Conduit did come out over a year before Goldeneye did. And despite some issues, The Conduit was a solid shooter for the Wii -- I played the bejeebers out of the multiplayer until the cheaters got out of control. A remaster of The Conduit would be nice.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this. Outside of the initial Eurogamer article, has any other reports of GameCube games on Switch ever surfaced? I recall Reggie acknowledging the demand for them, but I haven't seen anything since. Perhaps an insider has some idea of what's happening (if anything) on that front?

Nov 3, 2017
Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this. Outside of the initial Eurogamer article, has any other reports of GameCube games on Switch ever surfaced? I recall Reggie acknowledging the demand for them, but I haven't seen anything since. Perhaps an insider has some idea of what's happening (if anything) on that front?

Well Nvidia has gotten a Wii emulator working on the Tegra X1 that they used to release some Wii games in China like Zelda: TP and Mario Galaxy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...twilight-princess-tegra-x1-emulation-analysis
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...o-galaxy-hands-on-with-tegra-x1s-wii-emulator

zothenr

Sep 21, 2018
After Dragon's Dogma, I hope Capcom can adapt Zak & Wiki to Switch, it's perfect for the Joycons and it's an underrated game.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I suppose the SNES (and other console emulators) found in NES Switch Online would make sense here.

How long has that code been hiding in there? Do we think it'll be revealed soon or even sooner because of the discovery/leak?

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
For the talk of FPS on the previous page, one thing that I'm actually pretty disappointed in general is how Switch doesn't really have any shooting games in general with good local/offline MP options. Every single Nintendo MP orientated game seems to have it. Just not splatoon 2 out of all games. Seems like a large void as I take plenty of trips with lack of good internet access so to get my shooting fix, I play Killzone M bot mode on my vita. An MP bot mode would have have been so good for Splatoon 2 but nope. I'm hoping Metroid upcoming will at least have something. I'm not sure about the trilogy but played hunters and it was pretty fun experience even if it made my hands sore all the time.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
It took Wii a long time to get CoD if i remember correctly, i guess 3rds will bring some shooters down the road when the playerbase on Switch grows even further. Also there are some technical hurdles like engines that have to be ported first and the Switch isn't the strongest machine, there has to be made some work to make the games somehow good looking and not every studio wants to make 340p portable versions. Didn't we hear rumours that EA is working to get Frostbite ported over? Switch is not a priority for FPS but they will probably come (besides we already get Wolfenstein, Doom, Splatoon, Paladins, and some others).

Ubisoft started with familyfriendly games only as they got burned by Wii Us mature ports (Assassins Creed etc.) but i guess time can heal wounds.

I heard Frostbite was supported now due to a LinkedIn profile. But who knows what may happen this year

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the talk of FPS on the previous page, one thing that I'm actually pretty disappointed in general is how Switch doesn't really have any shooting games in general with good local/offline MP options. Every single Nintendo MP orientated game seems to have it. Just not splatoon 2 out of all games. Seems like a large void as I take plenty of trips with lack of good internet access so to get my shooting fix, I play Killzone M bot mode on my vita. An MP bot mode would have have been so good for Splatoon 2 but nope. I'm hoping Metroid upcoming will at least have something. I'm not sure about the trilogy but played hunters and it was pretty fun experience even if it made my hands sore all the time.

I've been saying this for a while :p

I heard Frostbite was supported now due to a LinkedIn profile. But who knows what may happen this year

It was speculation based on someone doing SKD work on Switch. EatChildren explained it here.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"-[15th] GoNintendo claims that Dragon Quest XI S will have a worlwide launch in 2019 (Source) "

GoNintendo is not the source.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Ok here is what i got guys, and Indie Showcase next week, the Direct is still "Soon" but i doubt its in January.
King Zell claims that a Nindies Showcase is happening this week, and the Direct is still coming soon. Since we already have a bunch of King Zell claims in the archive, it can't hurt to add this one to the list, can it?

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
A IGN Brazil journalist replied me a couple of days ago sugesting that a Direct is coming on february.

This is her reply

"I think there's still time for one in February".

The funny thing is that I never metioned the month, I just told her that I wish there was a Direct that day and she said "yeah, me too, but I think there's still time for them to make one in February" and ended the message with that distrustful eyes image.

She is a great jounalist by the way.

Last edited:

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
A IGN Brazil journalist replied me a couple of days ago sugesting that a Direct is coming on february.

This is her reply

"I think there's still time for one in February".

The funny thing is that I never metioned the month, I just told her that I wish there was a Direct that day and she said "yeah, me too, but I think there's still time for them to make one in February" and ended the message with that distrustful eyes image.

She is a great jounalist by the way.

I mean, of course there is still time. The month of February has yet to even begin.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
And why mention February when I didn't mention any time frame. I just told her that I wanted Direct and we were still in the 16th when I sent her that tweet, so there was really no need for her to mention the month.

I mean I know IGN Brasil is not as big as IGN itself, but it's to a very big site round here and she's a very respected journalist, so I think there might be something there... plus those eyes at end of the message, I don't know... there's something going on.

My point is, of course Nintendo has time in February for a new direct, but they still have time in January too. Like they still have time in March, April, May... she mentioning a time frame I hadnt metioned before, plus ending the message with those emoji eyes sounded strange.

but yeah there's a huge possibility that it was just a messenge with nothing behind it.

Lets wait and see.

Last edited:

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she meant "before Feb."?

Otherwise it doesn't make much sense, but it might be a translation issue?

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'm starting to even doubt there's a Direct for February. There was strong hints for one for this month and we got nothing.
What's holding Nintendo back to make the Direct announcements, anyway? Are they being cautious about something or waiting for anything especific - like a Sony/MS announcement?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
At this point I'm starting to even doubt there's a Direct for February. There was strong hints for one for this month and we got nothing.
What's holding Nintendo back to make the Direct announcements, anyway? Are they being cautious about something or waiting for anything especific - like a Sony/MS announcement?
I wonder if they are actually just waiting for March to hold a general Direct and will hold a Nindies Showcase and/or a game-specific Direct in February. Holding the next Direct in March would give Yoshi a last-minute push and is just the right time to detail the first-party titles for April, May, and June. If the theory that the SNES titles will come in February is true, that can be announced on Twitter unceremoniously. I hope this isn't the case, though. I still have a backlog to finish, but it would be nice to have something to be hyped for in the near future.

Edit: Yes, I know King Zell said the Nindies Showcase is next week, but the last two were in March. I think January is too early for a Nindies Showcase.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Maybe COD will finally come to Switch this year. Activision used to be so gung-ho about bringing anything and everything to all possible platforms. I wonder what happened.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Unless the next direct is about more things than just games (which no one anywhere alluded to even remotely), no Sony/MS announcement should affect it. Let's say Sony announce PS5 is coming out this May, why would it matter if a Nintendo direct about games came before the announcement or after?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Yes, I know King Zell said the Nindies Showcase is next week, but the last two were in March. I think January is too early for a Nindies Showcase.

1. The first Nindie Showcase was in February, not in March. That was before the Switch was even released. It's hard to see a pattern for a less than 2-year old console.
2. Image & Form has already (at New Year) hinted on Twitter they will have new information soon, which they also did during Gamescom 2017 with a Nindie summer showcase then appearing a few weeks after. Image & Form has also recently also publicly revealed (in a Swedish newspaper) that a new Steamworld game is arriving in 2019, but that the release date is still a secret.
3. Chucklefish has said that Wargroove will release soon, and that more info will be revealed "sooner".

When these "info soon" things appears, it has meant that a Nindie Showcase is arriving. Matt Makes Games did the same with Towerfall (and a few other developers for other games) before the last Nindie Showcase. IMO, March is way too late for a Nindie Showcase this time.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the next direct is about more things than just games (which no one anywhere alluded to even remotely), no Sony/MS announcement should affect it. Let's say Sony announce PS5 is coming out this May, why would it matter if a Nintendo direct about games came before the announcement or after?
Simple: Hype.

You know how fickle people are. Especially when it comes to Nintendo. Heck, just that thread alone about not being able to enjoy anything but Triple A games means Nintendo has to reevaluate how to present games like Yoshi's Crafted World, which aren't exactly aiming for the stars when it comes to budgets and presentation.

You know how people in Era were very dismissive of Nintendo's 2018 lineup, so much that they predicted that the Switch demand will drop and never meet their 20 million sales goal.

You know how Nintendo likes to drop bombshells that piss off the other camp like Joker's announcement in Smash.

So tell me, why shouldn't they wait?

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
theres nothing coming in the first couple months that's why there's no direct. It's not because they're trying to make announcements that *cringe* "piss off the other camp". Lmao

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's been 4 months since the last general direct. Regardless of any other factors, you'd think one was coming soon.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Simple: Hype.

You know how fickle people are. Especially when it comes to Nintendo. Heck, just that thread alone about not being able to enjoy anything but Triple A games means Nintendo has to reevaluate how to present games like Yoshi's Crafted World, which aren't exactly aiming for the stars when it comes to budgets and presentation.

You know how people in Era were very dismissive of Nintendo's 2018 lineup, so much that they predicted that the Switch demand will drop and never meet their 20 million sales goal.

You know how Nintendo likes to drop bombshells that piss off the other camp like Joker's announcement in Smash.

So tell me, why shouldn't they wait?

Nintendo isn't waiting on Sony or Microsoft. Era is an extremely small (but vocal) minority, no trends or reactions on here should ever be considered an example as to consumer reactions as a whole.

Nothing is holding Nintendo back from a Direct announcement, it will come when it is scheduled to come.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
RE earlier discussion, there's tons of past Nintendo published games that either were brilliant then or had a lot of potential, and currently have no equals on any platform, where the Switch would benefit from their portfolio diversifying originality.

Excite Truck/Bots - Preferably Truck, which is a criminally underrated masterclass of arcade racing design where absolute mastery of vehicle control and track layout is encouraged. Some of the best moment-to-moment racing gaming that exists. No game like it, anywhere.
Geist - Average shooter, very original idea, one of which is begging for a more robust production and capable team. Would finally give the Switch an exclusive shooter, without conforming to all the genre's design tropes.
Battalion Wars - Advance Wars in real time, Battlefield-lite; blending strategy with real-time action and controlling an assortment of infantry and vehicles, on the scale of a map warzone, worked beautifully. Again, no equals anywhere.
Pikmin - I figure it'll come eventually, but I don't really believe Pikmin 4 as people are predicting exists as we've expected from Miyamoto saying it exists. I figure it's changed forms many times and is basically something new. Nevertheless, another Nintendo franchise with completely unique design that deserves another outing.
Fatal Frame - Nintendo is so cosey with the series. And again, there's nothing quite like Fatal Frame's brand of horror. Would be perfect for Switch.
Sin & Punishment - S&P2 is one of the best SHMUPs ever and one of the best games on the Wii. Fucking insane it happened at all. Again, no equals.
Punch-Out!! - Kind of like Excite Truck, Punch-Out's arcade formula works so well. It's got that addictive one-more-round quality that just pulls you into pushing to master the game systems. Simple in premise, complex and challenging in execution. Wii build was fucking brilliant, give me more.
Hotel Dusk - Because it's cool.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next Level would be a good candidate for Battalion Wars 3. they could give a lot of character to the soldiers and generals

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
RE earlier discussion, there's tons of past Nintendo published games that either were brilliant then or had a lot of potential, and currently have no equals on any platform, where the Switch would benefit from their portfolio diversifying originality.

Excite Truck/Bots - Preferably Truck, which is a criminally underrated masterclass of arcade racing design where absolute mastery of vehicle control and track layout is encouraged. Some of the best moment-to-moment racing gaming that exists. No game like it, anywhere.
Geist - Average shooter, very original idea, one of which is begging for a more robust production and capable team. Would finally give the Switch an exclusive shooter, without conforming to all the genre's design tropes.
Battalion Wars - Advance Wars in real time, Battlefield-lite; blending strategy with real-time action and controlling an assortment of infantry and vehicles, on the scale of a map warzone, worked beautifully. Again, no equals anywhere.
Pikmin - I figure it'll come eventually, but I don't really believe Pikmin 4 as people are predicting exists as we've expected from Miyamoto saying it exists. I figure it's changed forms many times and is basically something new. Nevertheless, another Nintendo franchise with completely unique design that deserves another outing.
Fatal Frame - Nintendo is so cosey with the series. And again, there's nothing quite like Fatal Frame's brand of horror. Would be perfect for Switch.
Sin & Punishment - S&P2 is one of the best SHMUPs ever and one of the best games on the Wii. Fucking insane it happened at all. Again, no equals.
Punch-Out!! - Kind of like Excite Truck, Punch-Out's arcade formula works so well. It's got that addictive one-more-round quality that just pulls you into pushing to master the game systems. Simple in premise, complex and challenging in execution. Wii build was fucking brilliant, give me more.
Hotel Dusk - Because it's cool.

Mostly agreed but its missing Eternal Darkness. That one is a hugely underrated game that needs a second chance.