• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm so glad Super Mario Maker is a sequel and not a port.

So tired of Wii U ports. We're in year three now, they shouldn't be necessary any longer.
Wii U titles never really got their fair shake, and there are literally tens of millions of Switch owners who never got a chance to play those titles. It's not really about them being necessary to support the console so much as breathing new life into titles that were held back by their native console. And Super Mario Maker is a game where any sequel would inherently make the predecessor irrelevant, so it makes sense that they wouldn't bother with a port to begin with, if they eventually planned on a follow up.

Also, many Wii U owners, like myself, hated playing on the Wii U, so the ports are often welcome to even those who previously owned them. And of course, there's the fact that these ports aren't even in lieu of sequels anyway, so seriously, stop whining about them and move on.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when Star Link shown the racing mode, I was convinced that Star Fox GP might not be a thing now.

which begs the question what the hell is Retro doing. E3 is the last chance, but who knows

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So no Star Fox? How do insiders keep getting this wrong? Is this even a game?

Not entirely sure why everyone believed it was a thing in the first place. Star Fox Zero hasn't even been three years ago and there's generally five years between entries. It just seems too soon, especially with Star Fox 2 finally being released in 2017 and all the Star Fox content in Starlink in 2018, with more to come this year.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Wii U titles never really got their fair shake, and there are literally tens of millions of Switch owners who never got a chance to play those titles. It's not really about them being necessary to support the console so much as breathing new life into titles that were held back by their native console. And Super Mario Maker is a game where any sequel would inherently make the predecessor irrelevant, so it makes sense that they wouldn't bother with a port to begin with, if they eventually planned on a follow up.

It's just a real bummer to look at store shelves and have what seems like half (if not more) of the first party releases be games that I played three to six years ago. I'm itching for a [New] New Super Mario Bros game but I got served some re-heated leftovers from 2012. I'm longing for Mario Kart 9 but Nintendo just dusted off Mario Kart 8 and released that instead. It's going to be five years since MK8 in a matter of months and it's a damn shame that I may have another five years ahead of me to wait. The same can be said for Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country, and others as well.

Sorry, just being a bitter, entitled customer over here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
"New" Vergeben claims ahead of the Direct tomorrow:
  • Star Fox Grand Prix and Pikmin 3 port will be in the Direct
  • SFGP is scheduled for Spring, and a beta will happen soon after the announcement
Nvm you guys are on it

DF4w.gif

Nov 3, 2017
This Direct showed once again that Vergeben is wrong. The leak for Unravel two on Switch is correct. Pixelpar's report that Animal Crossing will be coming early this year has been proven wrong.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
SNES Online rumors seem questionable since the datamine was wiped today and nothing happened in the direct. Hoping it isn't a far-off announcement and they won't be dumb to hold it until September

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point it's safe to assume about Star Fox GP:

1) has been cancelled.
2) it was Starlink all along.

Also, if MPT truly exists (probably does) and it's complete, who's the developer?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any kind of proof to say sitting on prime trilogy for 2 years would for sure be good for prime 4 sales compared to being out this year?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
any rumours about that 3.0 drop in smash this spring? It was kind of a wierd announcement in the direct that felt off.

I'd love for them to try some experimental stuff.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
So, what happened to that Spyro Collection retail listing? It's it coming out not? I need to know, I'm still holding my purchase for this.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My theory about Retro, made out of shit in my mind:

- Studio scaled down after DKTF
- Nintendo didn't really know what to do with the company, as western next gen projects require hundreds of people and top heads in the company don't think it's worth the investment.
- A new DK game was prototyped but didn't go anywhere
- Meanwhile non-permanent people that worked in previous titles started dropping Retro and working on other studios/projects
- Retro pitched a futuristic racer with open world elements and Nintendo gave the go ahead
- A core team of 50-80 people started working on a prototype of the game
- Retro hired more people to cover their needs
- The game was eh, looked promising but not a mega seller and also was caught between two gens (wii u -> switch)
- Star Fox Zero flops and Nintendo wonders if the franchise can sustain another so-so title. Ubisoft proposes the Starlink endorsement and this proposal seems safer to execs
- Driven by delays and a lack of faith towards the course of the project, Nintendo freezes development of the starfox racer
- People start leaving Retro again, company in shambles. Nintendo is wondering whether they should just close down the studio
- At the same time Nintendo is struggling internally with realising Metroid
- Execs at Retro discuss the idea of pumping up the studio again and taking over Metroid: they can hire some of the old crew or top new talent to work on the franchise. Nintendo is convinced and Retro is saved from near closure.

See you in 2022 everyone!

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Retro's project is fine. Jon Verrall (hired writer contractor) leaving Retro in June last year and saying how great the experience was leaves me confident. He put up "unannounced AAA title" at Retro Studios on his LinkedIn profile. I don't see anything bad happened after he left in June. Nintendo's probably just waiting until E3.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
It's just a real bummer to look at store shelves and have what seems like half (if not more) of the first party releases be games that I played three to six years ago. I'm itching for a [New] New Super Mario Bros game but I got served some re-heated leftovers from 2012. I'm longing for Mario Kart 9 but Nintendo just dusted off Mario Kart 8 and released that instead. It's going to be five years since MK8 in a matter of months and it's a damn shame that I may have another five years ahead of me to wait. The same can be said for Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country, and others as well.

Sorry, just being a bitter, entitled customer over here.
But remember, 14m people owned the Wii U in it's lifetime compared to over 32m owning the switch in less than two years, porting good Wii U games just makes sense, and since I didn't own a Wii U I was very happy with those ports.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theory about Retro, made out of shit in my mind:

- Studio scaled down after DKTF
- Nintendo didn't really know what to do with the company, as western next gen projects require hundreds of people and top heads in the company don't think it's worth the investment.
- A new DK game was prototyped but didn't go anywhere
- Meanwhile non-permanent people that worked in previous titles started dropping Retro and working on other studios/projects
- Retro pitched a futuristic racer with open world elements and Nintendo gave the go ahead
- A core team of 50-80 people started working on a prototype of the game
- Retro hired more people to cover their needs
- The game was eh, looked promising but not a mega seller and also was caught between two gens (wii u -> switch)
- Star Fox Zero flops and Nintendo wonders if the franchise can sustain another so-so title. Ubisoft proposes the Starlink endorsement and this proposal seems safer to execs
- Driven by delays and a lack of faith towards the course of the project, Nintendo freezes development of the starfox racer
- People start leaving Retro again, company in shambles. Nintendo is wondering whether they should just close down the studio
- At the same time Nintendo is struggling internally with realising Metroid
- Execs at Retro discuss the idea of pumping up the studio again and taking over Metroid: they can hire some of the old crew or top new talent to work on the franchise. Nintendo is convinced and Retro is saved from near closure.

See you in 2022 everyone!

Yep, I realized something strange was happening with Retro when they announced DKTF Switch last year, leaving their secret project MIA and I was shot down by raged Nintendo fanboys calling me paranoid and was even mod warn for calling Retro a "lazy dev". But now, after the MP4 dev reboot and the rumored Labo support, there's a lot of doubts about what Retro was doing these last years.

IMO, at this point, whatever they were working on it is probably cancelled to concentrate on MP4.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
So, what happened to that Spyro Collection retail listing? It's it coming out not? I need to know, I'm still holding my purchase for this.

I'm with you. I think seeing that GameStop Germany listing and then not seeing it announced during the direct soured me a little bit.

It's my own fault for getting that excited. But I really wish they'd just officially confirm it if it's coming.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I realized something strange was happening with Retro when they announced DKTF Switch last year, leaving their secret project MIA and I was shot down by raged Nintendo fanboys calling me paranoid and was even mod warn for calling Retro a "lazy dev". But now, after the MP4 dev reboot and the rumored Labo support, there's a lot of doubts about what Retro was doing these last years.

IMO, at this point, whatever they were working on it is probably cancelled to concentrate on MP4.

I mean, "lazy dev" rhetoric usually warrants a warning. There's other ways to express your disappointment without insulting hardworking people.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

So nintendo scrapped a multi million dollar prime 4 to give it to another team that had to scrap their own game?

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, "lazy dev" rhetoric usually warrants a warning. There's other ways to express your disappointment without insulting hardworking people.

Except I never used the word "lazy" in anyway in my words, neither made any rethoric suggesting this, it was poor interpretation from a triggerhappy mod.

By this logic then internal dev struggling might be "lazy dev rethotic" as well and every single people in Era questioning Retro's activities these last years might take a mod warn as well.

So nintendo scrapped a multi million dollar prime 4 to give it to another team that had to scrap their own game?

Who knows? Perhaps Nintendo wasn't happy with how the project turned out like Bamco's MP4.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except I never used the word "lazy" in anyway in my words, neither made any rethoric suggesting this, it was poor interpretation from a triggerhappy mod.

By this logic then internal dev struggling might be "lazy dev rethotic" as well and every single people in Era questioning Retro's activities these last years might take a mod warn as well.

I don't know, I was simply going off your previous post which made it sound different. Apologies for misinterpreting and assuming.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area

Who knows? Perhaps Nintendo wasn't happy with how the project turned out like Bamco's MP4.
See that? If your statement was anything like that, I wouldn't have been surprised if you got a suspension.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Don't they have a contract to work on Nascar games now? I don't think they're tied to Nintendo anymore.
Yes, they've had nothing to do with Nintendo since Xenoblade 3D wrapped. But last time we brought this up someone pointed out that their NASCAR deal was running out this year or something like that. Don't remember when or where this was discussed last time. Still, they're 100% off the table for now until we hear otherwise.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Lol, Labo Retro conspiracy is still a thing.

And then you complain about being called paranoid.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the podcast Liam dropped today he pretty much laughed off the notion that "Starlink with the Starfox racing is what the rumor was". He still believes in Retro was or is working on Starfox racing.

It was funny listening to him talk about this lol.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Who is Liam? If he's from another Nintendo rumor podcast, let me know. I've been looking for another Nintendo channel to fill in the time between GameXplain discussions.

Need my fix!!

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate OP for marking rumors as "incorrect" rather than "false" or "fake". Secondhand information is super tricky but I believe most of them weren't made up or fake.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they've had nothing to do with Nintendo since Xenoblade 3D wrapped. But last time we brought this up someone pointed out that their NASCAR deal was running out this year or something like that. Don't remember when or where this was discussed last time. Still, they're 100% off the table for now until we hear otherwise.

They ported DKCR to 3DS, I assume they were also responsible for Tropical Freeze port to Switch.