• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Its safe to say that Nintendo might have one or two unannounced game for this FY. Maybe one of them is Retro's.
I believe Nintendo's lineup will be strong at E3, altho they might focus on AC, LM and Pokemon, for obvious reasons.

Nintendo is announcing games way late in its development, the only ones we got to know early was those annlunced withing the first year of the console, because as Reggie said, they wanted to build HYPE around the console.

Mario Maker 2, one of their biggest 2019 game, was announced 4 months away pf its release. In June we can easily see something that might came out in novemeber/december.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's still rumored non first party games to be coming like DMC Collection, Spyro, Monster Hunter and Persona 5. From Nintendo we have Pikmin 3 and MPT. We have Emily's eShop game which could be anything from Wave Race to a Zelda multiplayer game. Then there's her "mystery game #4" which has me the most intrigued.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
There's still rumored non first party games to be coming like DMC Collection, Spyro, Monster Hunter and Persona 5. From Nintendo we have Pikmin 3 and MPT. We have Emily's eShop game which could be anything from Wave Race to a Zelda multiplayer game. Then there's her "mystery game #4" which has me the most intrigued.
The fact is: 2019 is shaping upnto be an awesome year. Yes, we're having a slow start, but from the 2 quarter on, things will get wild.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, they've had nothing to do with Nintendo since Xenoblade 3D wrapped. But last time we brought this up someone pointed out that their NASCAR deal was running out this year or something like that. Don't remember when or where this was discussed last time. Still, they're 100% off the table for now until we hear otherwise.

I know it's hard for us to believe, but not every developer is necessarily chomping at the bit to work with Nintendo. Sometimes a developer that got started making stock car racing sims might actually rather make stock car racing sims than continue to make B-tier Nintendo games.

It's probably best to think of the Wii and 3DS games as something Monster did to survive (at the time, EA had the exclusive NASCAR license) rather than the fulfillment of their passion for porting games to Nintendo handhelds. I think they're happy to get back to their NASCAR roots, as boring as that seems to us. Their website address is still (and always has been) mgiracing.com, after all.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
So Imran Khan in the latest The Game Informer Show podcast (ep. 437 - 2.14.19) mentions that Microsoft has had continued, on going meetings with Nintendo as a Third-party. Much like they would have done with Minecraft. But that they are continuing to do so for future games.

He strongly implies there are games that have not been announced that Microsoft is looking to bring to the Nintendo Switch. It's around the 45-55 minute marks while they are discussing the Nintendo Direct and Hellblade coming to the Switch.

Imran is a trusted journalist who has a lot of connections and inside sources that he has used to do accurate reporting on leaks and rumors before.

I figured it was worth adding to the list and discussing!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Imran Khan in the latest The Game Informer Show podcast (ep. 437 - 2.14.19) mentions that Microsoft has had continued, on going meetings with Nintendo as a Third-party. Much like they would have done with Minecraft. But that they are continuing to do so for future games.

He strongly implies there are games that have not been announced that Microsoft is looking to bring to the Nintendo Switch. It's around the 45-55 minute marks while they are discussing the Nintendo Direct and Hellblade coming to the Switch.

Imran is a trusted journalist who has a lot of connections and inside sources that he has used to do accurate reporting on leaks and rumors before.

sounds like Banjo Kazooie (and possibly Tooie and Jet Force Gemini) for the N64 classic.

maybe even Rare Replay for Switch

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I think it's clear from Minecraft and now Hellblade that Microsoft has a very different perspective on hardware and software than Nintendo or Sony. They seem less concerned with using software to sell hardware; I think they just want people to play their games and use their Xbox services, regardless of platform.

I'm not convinced buying all these studios is something they would do if they were planning on locking all their games to Xbox. I think they'll continue to make Xboxes, obviously, in much the same way they make Surfaces now — to provide what they think is the best experience and a product they can sell at a profit. But they don't limit their software to Surfaces to drive Surface sales. They don't even limit their software to Windows to drive Windows adoption.

You basically have to decide if you want to be a hardware-focused company or a media/service-focused company, because if you're a media or service company, even a little bit, you want that to be everywhere. It's sort of like how Apple made iTunes for Windows, Apple Music for Android, and now iTunes for Samsung TVs. It's not like Apple making Apple Music for Android is a sign that they're dropping iOS; they just have bigger plans for Apple Music.

I'm not saying we'll see Forza or Halo on the Switch, necessarily. But I don't think they necessarily view the Switch as a direct competitor, as long as people are still buying their games and using their Xbox services.

The story of Nadella's Microsoft is that they've become a services company with a few hardware hobbies. I think Microsoft is looking out ten, twenty years, and wondering what happens to "Xbox" when the box is gone.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think it's clear from Minecraft and now Hellblade that Microsoft has a very different perspective on hardware and software than Nintendo or Sony. They seem less concerned with using software to sell hardware; I think they just want people to play their games and use their Xbox services, regardless of platform.

I'm not convinced buying all these studios is something they would do if they were planning on locking all their games to Xbox. I think they'll continue to make Xboxes, obviously, in much the same way they make Surfaces now — to provide what they think is the best experience and a product they can sell at a profit. But they don't limit their software to Surfaces to drive Surface sales. They don't even limit their software to Windows to drive Windows adoption.

You basically have to decide if you want to be a hardware-focused company or a media/service-focused company, because if you're a media or service company, even a little bit, you want that to be everywhere. It's sort of like how Apple made iTunes for Windows, Apple Music for Android, and now iTunes for Samsung TVs. It's not like Apple making Apple Music for Android is a sign that they're dropping iOS; they just have bigger plans for Apple Music.

I'm not saying we'll see Forza or Halo on the Switch, necessarily. But I don't think they necessarily view the Switch as a direct competitor, as long as people are still buying their games and using their Xbox services.

The story of Nadella's Microsoft is that they've become a services company with a few hardware hobbies. I think Microsoft is looking out ten, twenty years, and wondering what happens to "Xbox" when the box is gone.
I completely agree with this. They've become more service-focused. Scarlett will have both a conventional box and a streaming service, which to me indicates that they're trying to go to a model where software output is the key focus. However, while I totally think it would be cool to see Rare Replay on Switch, I don't see why it would make sense for Microsoft to put individual games on a competitor's device like the Switch, even if an Xbox Live account is required to play those games (like an Origin account for EA games; not necessarily a paying member).

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see why it would make sense for Microsoft to put individual games on a competitor's device like the Switch, even if an Xbox Live account is required to play those games

Well, they would get to sell those games, right? They'd get to make some money on Switch users in addition to Xbox users.

The real question is if it makes sense for Microsoft to limit all this software they're investing in to a platform that has a long history of not being the market leader.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we should add the crazy Twitter account with 0 followers that leaked the whole Direct without anybody noticing it until it aired.

Christo750

May 10, 2018

I refuse to get myself worked up yet again for hearsay that may or may not involve Banjo on Switch in some fashion.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Maybe we should add the crazy Twitter account with 0 followers that leaked the whole Direct without anybody noticing it until it aired.

I don't think so, because of this:

With no followers and the way it's assembled he/she could have written hundreds of tweets on those days with info from different places no matter how crazy they were (Resetera, Vergeben, Liam Robertson, LeakyPandy…), and then deleted the not happenning ones when the Direct aired.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
also no reason to assume that's gonna happen again with any sort of reliability. and it did nothing other than spoil a direct the day it aired, which is just in general nothing but shitty and entirely useless.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's likely they just put down all sorts of guesses and just deleted the ones that didn't happen. Since they had no followers no one would've noticed.

Exactly.

Note that they don't give any actual content besides just the title of the series involved (and in the case of "platinum games," not even that!). Someone familiar with the actual Direct would know it was Super Mario Maker 2, and not just Mario Maker Deluxe or something, but this person couldn't even say that.

Note also all the games that are excluded: Rune Factory 4 Special and 5, Tetris 99, that Disney Tsum Tsum game, and so on.

Don't trust predictions that surface after the fact. This is actually really important, because this is 100% going to happen with, say, future elections, and it will convince a lot of dumb people that elections are a sham, just because the Twitter timestamp says the tweets were made beforehand and "this person perfectly predicted everything!"

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the Imran and Indiegirl hinting or possibly knowing N64 Mini with Rare games + more coming to Nintendo!

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I'm on the Imran and Indiegirl hinting or possibly knowing N64 Mini with Rare games + more coming to Nintendo!

If you listen to Imran on the podcast, it sounds more like he's hinting about actual games coming to Switch and not just an N64 Classic collaboration.
Though I agree, I think we will get some Rare on the N64 Mini.

Oct 28, 2017
The first thing that popped into my head when I read the Imran thing was Metroid Dread.

MercurySteam did a great job with Samus Returns. Let them do a 2D Metroid 5 (Dread) for Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like something that was shown the scrapped. Nintendo doesn't have many of those.

Unless the game in question wasn't initially theirs

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
If Imran is talking about a first-party title I think it must be Metroid Dread, since it's the only officially cancelled Nintendo game that has a high-enough profile and the only one worth bringing back. The likes of Project Hammer ain't gonna set the world on fire.

If it's third-party, then it's probably either Scalebound or Mega Man Legends 3

Metroid Dread can't be considered publicly canceled because it wasn't publicly announced.
But its cancellation is publically known. Sakamoto has also confirmed it existed and was canned, and suggested they might bring it back one day.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Megaman Legends would be the one we all should think of… But Imran says:

(…) it's not one that people would expect. It was very much a title that was dead and buried – very officially cancelled."

So… 🤔

Well, Silent Hills was "very publicly cancelled", and these not so old news about P.T. would made sense:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/31/18049832/pt-disabled-silent-hills-teaser-ps4

(though it was apparently not true, so I don't know)

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Having just seen that Platinum is supposedly working on a third game, maybe it is Scalebound after all...

The meltdowns if it was revealed as a Switch exclusive would be incredible.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People have been speculating about Metroid Dread being "revived" since rumours about a new 2D Metroid on Switch popped up. Don't really see it being that. As I said in the other thread, unless it is actually a game originall developed by Nintendo, it's most likely something "smaller" by a Japanese developer/publisher. Just like they did with Bayonetta and Devil's Third. Cry On, Strelka Stories, Bumpy Trot 2... something like that. I don't see Nintendo footing the bill for, say, Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man Legends 3 fit the "dead and buried" comment. It's an underselling sub series of a series that rarely breaks 1M units. Capcom would have to spend more than they did for 2D MM due to the nature of the game. Nintendo footing the bill would make it an easy choice for Capcom

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If you listen to Imran on the podcast, it sounds more like he's hinting about actual games coming to Switch and not just an N64 Classic collaboration.
Though I agree, I think we will get some Rare on the N64 Mini.
Microsoft has published games on Nintendo portable consoles (Namely the DS) in the past, even Halo was experimented on. Maybe they have done their numbers and seen that the Switch complements rather than competes with the XBOX just like the PC does, (Many people owning both, many people double-dipping on games, etc) in which case releasing games on Switch would only bring them more revenue.
Gears and Halo on Switch? That would be a Megatron of untold proportions for sure.
I think Scalebound. Or megaman legends 3. Those would be the highest profile ones.

Metroid Dread can't be considered publicly canceled because it wasn't publicly announced.
If Platinum is working on another project, Scalebound is a likely candidate. The hype was through the roof, so if it were resurrected people would go nuts.
Having just seen that Platinum is supposedly working on a third game, maybe it is Scalebound after all...

The meltdowns if it was revealed as a Switch exclusive would be incredible.
True story.
If Imran is talking about a first-party title I think it must be Metroid Dread, since it's the only officially cancelled Nintendo game that has a high-enough profile and the only one worth bringing back. The likes of Project Hammer ain't gonna set the world on fire.

If it's third-party, then it's probably either Scalebound or Mega Man Legends 3

But its cancellation is publically known. Sakamoto has also confirmed it existed and was canned, and suggested they might bring it back one day.
I think it's very safe to assume that Sakamoto is working with Mercury Steam on another Metroid game, after how successful the experience was with Samus Returns. There's no way they just stopped on their tracks.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
My left field wish:

Got announced at TGS waaaaay back in 2008, and you might as well say was very "publicly cancelled" as soon as Konami went and officially announced Lords of Shadow as the next Castlevania game at E3 2009. But if any time was a good time to perform a few tributes and resurrect a Castlevania game starring fan favorite Alucard, in the "classic" Castlevania timeline, in wake of the Netflix series doing so well? Now's good, if Konami and/or Nintendo weren't shopping around such an idea, already.

Combine that with Vergeben's yet to be confirmed/denied "Castlevania game for Switch" rumor, and hell, I'm willing to entertain such a thing. Especially if Nintendo just gave the honors of making the game to Good-Feel, which is made up of a number of Konami Kobe ex-pats.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if it's Fez 2?

tenor.gif

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Project HAMMER and Nintendo NST coming back in full force with a AAA action game
aka one of the unlikeliest scenarios. at this point it's more likely they're reviving Scalebound with MS signing off and Kamiya picking it back up ^^

Hmm, Metroid Dread comes to mind. If there was ever a time for Nintendo to be working on a proper Metroid 5, it would be now.
except that was never publicly canceled ...or what one would consider "public" in the first place in any real way.

Nov 8, 2017
Scalebound seems highly plausible if we take this rumour at face value and the criteria is "very publicly cancelled games". For whatever reason Nintendo seems to have a major soft spot for platinum and they're one of the last major work for hire studios in Japan. I really can't think of many other games Nintendo might conceptually be interested in reviving that were publicly cancelled.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't believe nintendo is ressurecting starcraft ghost
That was never "officially" canceled though!

Scalebound seems highly plausible if we take this rumour at face value and the criteria is "very publicly cancelled games". For whatever reason Nintendo seems to have a major soft spot for platinum and they're one of the last major work for hire studios in Japan. I really can't think of many other games Nintendo might conceptually be interested in reviving that were publicly cancelled.
Mega Man Legends 3's cancellation was blamed on the fans. After a character design vote, demo that was playable and was to be sold for feedback. The fans we involved in a big way and Capcom just said we didn't do enough
design06.jpg

I miss her, bros

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
After Marvel UA3,I think it's definitely Star Wars 1313. Nintendo always get along with Disney, I won't be surprised if their next project is Star Wars related. Ok, I admit, I'd be real shocked. Only thing they need is EA to be on board. Wonder if they would ever be after that Mass Effect 3 Wii U sales thing.