• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Takahashi said he wants "Metroid Prime 4 to stand shoulder to shoulder with the first 3 games" and Nintendo has showed how important Metroid Prime is to them and for the fans. Tanabe is coming over to Retro to continue leading MP4. Not sure why people would be worried.
In 2 years, Takahashi will release a new video about MP4 :
"We decided to cancel Metroid Prime 4, Retro Studios wasn't able to create a game that felt like a true, good Metroid Prime experience. Also, we've decided to close Retro Studios. They have been unable to release a single game in 7 years, fuck them, they have costed us more money than NST."

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
DK is the best case scenario for me as I do not believe anymore that they are gonna release an original IP (unfortunately). The second best case scenario is that MP Trilogy on Switch is a completely reworked remake which impressed Nintendo and motivated them to give MP4 to their original devs.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want 3D DK, but if Retro was having troubles with the 2014 game they probably would've decided to not take any risks with anything they haven't done, so I see 2D DK as more likely to play it "safe" and have an original title to release.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly feel that 3D DK from EPD is more likely than from Retro. Odyssey has been complete for close to 2 years now, assuming the game was finished around the time the Switch launched, which I believe. I feel they could put out a 3D DK game next Spring and still have an Odyssey successor out the year after.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm like crazy excited for 2020. By the end of this year, basically every "major" Nintendo franchise will have a game on the Switch. Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash, 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, 2D Mario and Zelda, DK, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pokémon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Mario Party.

That leaves the last "major" franchises in Pikmin and Paper Mario. There's also a couple of Mario sports games. So which franchises are getting sequels in 2020? Who decided to make new IP's like Monolith Soft? Who decided to bring back an old IP instead?

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
In 2 years, Takahashi will release a new video about MP4 :
"We decided to cancel Metroid Prime 4, Retro Studios wasn't able to create a game that felt like a true, good Metroid Prime experience. Also, we've decided to close Retro Studios. They have been unable to release a single game in 7 years, fuck them, they have costed us more money than NST."
I'm positive retro would be shut down by now ... And wouldnt have been handed this project if that were true.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'd think that speculation around Retro would be exhausted by now. Whether you're optimistic or not, there really isn't anything else new to say about them except for repeating the same old ass talking points.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm like crazy excited for 2020. By the end of this year, basically every "major" Nintendo franchise will have a game on the Switch. Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash, 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, 2D Mario and Zelda, DK, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pokémon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Mario Party.

That leaves the last "major" franchises in Pikmin and Paper Mario. There's also a couple of Mario sports games. So which franchises are getting sequels in 2020? Who decided to make new IP's like Monolith Soft? Who decided to bring back an old IP instead?
This is what makes me most excited as well. 2020-2022 could see a lot of smaller IP debuting on the Switch, like Paper Mario, Pikmin, Mario and Luigi, Star Fox, Chibi-Robo, Wario Ware/Land/World, Mario Sports titles, and other IP that's been dormant for some time, such Wave Race and Pilotwings. I'm really excited to see other remakes Nintendo has in store as well, now that we know they're not afraid of tapping into that with all the releases the last few years.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what makes me most excited as well. 2020-2022 could see a lot of smaller IP debuting on the Switch, like Paper Mario, Pikmin, Mario and Luigi, Star Fox, Chibi-Robo, Wario Ware/Land/World, Mario Sports titles, and other IP that's been dormant for some time, such Wave Race and Pilotwings. I'm really excited to see other remakes Nintendo has in store as well, now that we know they're not afraid of tapping into that with all the releases the last few years.
Yep. 2020 and beyond we're going to see the benefits of having to develop for one system. Good time to bring back old IP's.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think starting June 2018 we'll start fully seeing the effects of that.

They currently have a ton of games planned for June-December, probably 2 games per month on average.

We are in 2019 though. :P Nintendos problem are bigger 3rds, japanese devs started very slow and take their time. Also i think they need to make more new singleplayer IPs that aren't really small, like Action Adventures. Most new IPs we get are things like Splatoon and Arms, or more casual like Snipperclips and Labo.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
We are in 2019 though. :P Nintendos problem are bigger 3rds, japanese devs started very slow and take their time. Also i think they need to make more new singleplayer IPs that aren't really small, like Action Adventures. Most new IPs we get are things like Splatoon and Arms, or more casual like Snipperclips and Labo.
Stuff more along the lines of Astral Chains or even published stuff like Octopath ? I think they currently have a good balance in their output judging by the upcoming line-up.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Starting with Startropics from Retro!
3.jpg

I think starting June 2018 we'll start fully seeing the effects of that.

They currently have a ton of games planned for June-December, probably 2 games per month on average.

Yeah we'll see more games. I was thinking how we're comjng to a point where it's like Nintendo has gone through all their major series and it's exciting to see where they go from here in 2020 and beyond. Games like AC, Luigi's Mansion 3, 2D Zelda are making their first appearance on Switch. We have 3D Zelda and Mario, Xenoblade, Pokemon, Smash, Mario Kart, etc already and we're only in the 3rd year of the Switch. Paper Mario and Pikmin haven't come of course and there's still some Mario sports titles that would be nice. I gave up on a new Golden Sun 😢

I would think Nintendo will not make sequels for all these series on Switch. Makes me hopeful we'll see the return of old IP's (or IP's that haven't had a game in a while) like F-Zero, 2D Wario, Punch-Out, 1080, Wave Race, etc.

We might see some new single player IP's from EPD. Which is what I want the most. Aonuma maybe has that thief game?

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff more along the lines of Astral Chains or even published stuff like Octopath ? I think they currently have a good balance in their output judging by the upcoming line-up.

I thought more of new original Nintendo singleplayer IPs (in the vein of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Ikarus, Mother etc.) that are developed inhouse. Like the game Aonuma would like to make about thieves. We mostly get multiplayer games when it comes to new Nintendo IPS and when it comes to "coregames" it's mostly old ips or small new games.

I love exclusive 3rd party stuff like Octopath and Astral Chain too, of course.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I thought more of new original Nintendo singleplayer IPs (in the vein of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Ikarus, Mother etc.) that are developed inhouse. Like the game Aonuma would like to make about thieves. We mostly get multiplayer games when it comes to new Nintendo IPS and when it comes to "coregames" it's mostly old ips or small new games.

Yeah I see.

However Astral Chains is 100% 1st party, just like Smash is.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
We haven't seen much of astral chain but I'm quite hopeful that it could be a generation defining game for the switch kind of like bloodborne is for the ps4. At least, when it comes to this kind of exclusive, I believe that Sony and From laid out a blueprint regarding the kind of standard an ambitious exclusive game can aim at.
Also, From not releasing anything on switch besides an ok-ish port of DS1 is one of my biggest disappointment.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Wondering what a prominent studio being radio silent for more than 5 years is up to is anything but "forced worrying" (whatever that means).

People ask questions about any studio that was silent that long. Heck most studios barely get by 2 years after a release before attention starts to turn on what they're up to. Retro has the luxury of being shielding by Nintendo's other releases and the success of the Switch but that doesn't mean people won't ask questions.

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't seen much of astral chain but I'm quite hopeful that it could be a generation defining game for the switch kind of like bloodborne is for the ps4. At least, when it comes to this kind of exclusive, I believe that Sony and From laid out a blueprint regarding the kind of standard an ambitious exclusive game can aim at.
Also, From not releasing anything on switch besides an ok-ish port of DS1 is one of my biggest disappointment.
I don't think BB did too much for PS4, but it did get a lot of people talking.

Just hoping PG gets a big of a boost from Nier's critical and financial success with at least 1M sales.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I don't think BB did too much for PS4, but it did get a lot of people talking.

Just hoping PG gets a big of a boost from Nier's critical and financial success with at least 1M sales.

That's what I mean. While those games don't necessarily sale hardware on their own, they are those which we talk about years after and I'm convinced that having a handful of them is critical for the long term success and the perception of a console. "The exclusives" are the number one reason people buy a PS4, and I understand that even if I would never but one myself.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

Astral Chain is 100% a first party game. It's funded by Nintendo, and they have some creative control over it. It's a Nintendo IP, created and developped by PlatinumGames.
If you're only talking about "in house" games then you exclude games like Kirby, Smash Bros, Pokémon, Metroid Samus Returns, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus Uprising, etc etc etc, and most Nintendo games.

Mar 23, 2018
OH!

It's been in front of us all this time

The Mario Rabbids DLC expansion

The Miyamoto + Yves Guillemot collaborations

This year, we should see an Ubisoft + Nintendo collab again... or not

What if it isn't Retro but Ubisoft is the one making a Donkey Kong 3D platformer

The banana is out there

But really, anyone expecting another Ubisoft collaboration? I am but I don't know which other Nintendo IP could they use. F-Zero? A full-made Star Fox game?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
OH!

It's been in front of us all this time

The Mario Rabbids DLC expansion

The Miyamoto + Yves Guillemot collaborations

This year, we should see an Ubisoft + Nintendo collab again... or not

What if it isn't Retro but Ubisoft is the one making a Donkey Kong 3D platformer

The banana is out there

But really, anyone expecting another Ubisoft collaboration? I am but I don't know which other Nintendo IP could they use. F-Zero? A full-made Star Fox game?
Mario Rabbids 2 is happening imo, first one was a sucess. I think they'll add Wario and Daisy, both characters have big comical's potential. Just imagine Wario interacting with his disgusting rabbid.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

I think 2020 will have Odyssey 2 for sure.
And maybe even 3D Zelda if it uses some stuff from BotW.
I've said for years I think Paper Mario will be a 2020 game. FE being delayed raises my doubt slightly, but I'm still with it.
The next Xenoblade could be 2020. Bayo3 is 2020 for sure (unless it slips into late this year but I doubt it)
yeah, sports games makes sense. I don't know what the plan is for Mario Party. It's gotten no DLC so I wonder if they plan on releasing Super Mario Party 2 in a few years like the old days.
Kirby will appear and Mario Golf imo

My last guess that I feel good about is the mario Kart team for 2020.
I still think a new Mario Kart will come to switch despite what all that is said, I just don't know when.
if it's not a Mario Kart, I think the Mario Kart team will release a game regardless in 2020

----------------------
So the biggest sellers for 2020 I would guess are:

3D Mario for sure,
Bayonetta 3 for sure
3D Zelda likely,
Mario Kart Team Game,
Paper Mario,
Xeno Project,
Mario Golf
New Kirby game
New IP

we'll see how I do. (I do wonder when the next DK game is and how it'll look. A DK spinoff could be 2020 but I won't add it to my list. I think a 2D Metroid from mercury steam is likely too but I won't add it. A splatoon spinoff fits into this unsure but maybe category too.)

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I posted on twitter a couple of days ago that 2020 is what really excites me. By the end of FY3 in particular we'll have an enormous quantity of first party representation:

- 3D Mario
- 2D Mario (port)
- Mario Maker sequel
- Mario Party
- Mario Kart (port)
- 2D Zelda
- 3D Zelda (port)
- 2D Donkey Kong (port)
- Smash Bros (mainline)
- Pokemon (mainline)
- Pokemon (side)
- Splatoon sequel
- 2D Yoshi (mainline)
- 2D Kirby (mainline)
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (JRPG, mainline)
- ARMS (fighting)
- Fire Emblem (mainline)
- Astral Chain (character action game)
- Bayonetta 1 + 2 (ports, character action game)
- Puzzler via Captain Toad (port)

That's a massive assortment of games, even if a few are ports, representing key Nintendo franchises. I've felt FY2 was pretty dry for Nintendo compared to FY1, but nevertheless they've frontloaded the Switch's lifespan with key franchises. It took the Wii U until the end of its life to see a mainline Zelda.

I suspect FY4 will include:
- Bayonetta 3
- Metroid Prime 4
- Super Mario Odyssey sequel
- Breath of the Wild sequel
- Captain Toad 2 (due to unexpected success of CT1)
- ??????????

Real question is if Nintendo will err for original properties (like Monolith's new game), or start digging up old franchises.

Basically...give me Sin & Punishment 3.

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect FY4 will include:
- Bayonetta 3
- Metroid Prime 4
- Super Mario Odyssey sequel
- Breath of the Wild sequel
- Captain Toad 2 (due to unexpected success of CT1)
- ??????????
I think Mario Odyssey 2 is for sure happening next year, but BOTW might be 2021 (but no later)
Prime 4 isnt' happening till like 2022 at the soonest. Captain Toad 2 would probably be later as well

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Giving that survey that they put out a short while ago, I'm pretty sure at least Mario x Rabbids will get a sequel.

But if StarFox GP indeed was never a thing, I hope that maybe the Starlink team can just do the honors. There's potential to be had with the game if it's perhaps built from the ground-up as a StarFox game with customization, instead of the half-baked toys to life thing Starlink was saddled with.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone know what N.E.R.D is up to these days? doing a quick google search couldn't find anything useful

NERD'S making the NES Online app and are probably doing it and SNES stuff full time unless GB Classic is in the works. Peekybird mentioned that N64 Classic isn't a thing so I'm guessing they're just doing NSO stuff now based on that

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
...it just started tho?

We dont know when exactly was restarted, we had some hints from LauraKDale about Pikmin restart in 2016/2017. if I recall. Also, despite game is reboted they will probably use plenty of assets and things from first Pikmin 4 project.
With all that on mind, 2022. is probably latest when Pikmin 4 will be launched not soonest, maybe we could have launch even next year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For 2020 I have

-3D Zelda (hinted by King Zell)
-Bayonetta 3
-Paper Mario
-Pikmin 4
-F-Zero
-Monolith Softs new IP
-2D Metroid
-Mario + Rabbids 2 from Ubisoft
-Kirby
-Mario Golf from Camelot
-Mario Kart team with a new IP or ARMS 2
-Retro's game (could be F-Zero)

I'm not as confident in 3D Mario. I could see 3D Mario as an early 2021 title. Nintendo always wants 3D Mario and 3D Zelda at E3 for hands on play. So one or both would have to be playable at E3 2020. I think Nintendo wants to spread their release out. I have 3D Zelda holiday 2020 and 3D Mario early 2021, possibly holiday 2021.

3D Mario team could be working on another's game besides 3D Mario so it'll be fine if 3D Mario is saved for holiday 2021.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems kinda messed up it'd take for the console's fourth year to see those effects.
I'm not sure what you expect. Well it will have multiple Pokémon games. The Mario Kart team released ARMS and Mario Kart Deluxe in 2017. We got 3D Mario and 3D Zelda in 2017. You expect some kind of 2 year turnaround for new games?

Monolith put out XC2 in 2017 then a stand-alone dlc in 2018. You're seeing the fruits of the labor of series that were handheld lately coming to Switch this year.

In less than 3 years you have a majority of the major franchises the Wii U and 3DS got...

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
2020 could be huge, but Nintendo is so unpredictable that it could also be another 2018...

What I am hoping for sure is Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei 5 and Retro's game.
Another possible releases are a new 3D Mario, new Zelda (already hinted by king zell), new game from Mario Kart team (hopefully MK9), Mario & Rabbids 2 and a new Monolith Soft IP - my most anticipated game.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I would really like to have Torna also digital as stand-alone, I think it would enhance its value. I would like to be able to play it without the cart of the original inserted. Same for the Octo Expansion although that is not even stand-alone physical.