• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep
But Nintendo giving a project like MP4 to a studio without an output in 5 years seems very unlikely. And if it was the case, very worrying for MP4's quality.

We literally don't know what is the state of Retro. We will see how soon MP4 comes out and what is the quality of the game. We are a long way off - maybe the bulk of the team that will make the game is being hired as we speak.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
User Warned - Antagonistic behaviour towards another user
We really need to give this forced worrying about Retro a rest.

Do what you want. Nobody cares nor listens to you, so stop trying to police the discussion, or create your own forum.
For some of us, me including, a studio not releasing anything in more than 5 years is worrying, and that a completely reasonable stance.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Do what you want. Nobody cares nor listens to you, so stop trying to police the discussion, or create your own forum.
For some of us, me including, a studio not releasing anything in more than 5 years is worrying, and that a completely reasonable stance.

No need to be offensive now.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
So, wasn't there a rumour about a remake of Virtual Boy Wario Land that went along with the Link's Awakening remake?

I wonder if that will also happen.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to believe Retro has nothing to show at E3 but if they failed to develop anything the past 5 years and given that Metroid will at least take another 3 years we might be looking at a studio that has no output for 8 years. It is worrying indeed if thats the case.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I find it hard to believe Retro has nothing to show at E3 but if they failed to develop anything the past 5 years and given that Metroid will at least take another 3 years we might be looking at a studio that has no output for 8 years. It is worrying indeed if thats the case.
Less worrying now though since Nintendo gave them Metroid Prime. Nintendo's confidence in them should tell you something

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
No need to be offensive now.

He's policing literally everyone on this forum and that's quite annoying. But worry not, I used the ignore button and it won't happen again on my side.

Less worrying now though since Nintendo gave them Metroid Prime. Nintendo's confidence in them should tell you something

Whatever problem they may have had (and they surely had some serious ones if it goes as far as not releasing a game in 5-8 years), those should at least be behind them if Nintendo gave them such project.
Truth is, I stopped on counting on Retro since last year, but I would really love them to actually release a good game this year, that's all... So until December this year at least, I'll keep hoping it happens.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
He's policing literally everyone on this forum and that's quite annoying. But worry not, I used the ignore button and it won't happen again on my side.

Dude. Literally I'm doing nothing of the sort. Chill.
-Your local fun police.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just some random studio. This is their own studio. With a flawless track record, mind you. We really need to give this forced worrying about Retro a rest.

excuse me but: what is a reasonable explanation of them not having released nor announced a game in the latest 5 years?
we have officially seen with MP4 as even at Nintendo development can go wrong. so, why are you so sure that everything is ok at Retro Studio?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Whatever problem they may have had (and they surely had some serious ones if it goes as far as not releasing a game in 5-8 years), those should at least be behind them if Nintendo gave them such project.
Truth is, I stopped on counting on Retro since last year, but I would really love them to actually release a good game this year, that's all... So until December this year at least, I'll keep hoping it happens.
I'm with you. I have a sliver of hope that Retro has completed a game that will be revealed at E3 and released in the fourth quarter of this year. I know Retro worked on the port for DKTF for Switch as well as helped out on other projects, but I still hold out hope that they've done more than that in the past several years. If not, it's a disappointment but I still have high hopes for Metroid Prime 4.

If nothing is revealed at E3 we know they've done very little in the past 5-8 years.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you. I have a sliver of hope that Retro has completed a game that will be revealed at E3 and released in the fourth quarter of this year. I know Retro worked on the port for DKTF for Switch as well as helped out on other projects, but I still hold out hope that they've done more than that in the past several years. If not, it's a disappointment but I still have high hopes for Metroid Prime 4.

If nothing is revealed at E3 we know they've done very little in the past 5-8 years.

Except this part isn't true, at least officially. They assisted on Mario Kart 7 a long time ago but since then they have not been credited with any other game besides Tropical Freeze.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Tropical Freeze released 5 years ago. Can you explain (except "I was going full hyperbole") how this is "not releasing a game in 5-8 years" ?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess we will be finding out soon if snes games are in this months classic games update, that was said in that rumor before the direct

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think he's saying if Metroid Prime 4 doesn't release for another 3 years then Between DKCTF and MP4 could be 8 years difference.
Ah, I understand.

Anyway - there is no way in Hell Nintendo is handing MP4 over (after it's already been delayed) to a company that has not completed a game these last 5 years.
I am certain there is a completed Retro game, and contrary to what mostly everybody says here, Retro's game could not be announced this year yet this would not be an indication that it doesn't exist - it would simply mean Nintendo feels they have more than enough games for this year, and are saving Retro's game for 2020. After all, this year's games are aimed at attracting the handheld crowd, next year's (when the new consoles are expected) could be a better fit for a Retro game aimed at "ze hardcorez".

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still enough time for Retro to announce and release Star Fox GP this year.

tenor.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I understand.

Anyway - there is no way in Hell Nintendo is handing MP4 over (after it's already been delayed) to a company that has not completed a game these last 5 years.
I am certain there is a completed Retro game, and contrary to what mostly everybody says here, Retro's game could not be announced this year yet this would not be an indication that it doesn't exist - it would simply mean Nintendo feels they have more than enough games for this year, and are saving Retro's game for 2020. After all, this year's games are aimed at attracting the handheld crowd, next year's (when the new consoles are expected) could be a better fit for a Retro game aimed at "ze hardcorez".

I think people are expecting Retro's game to be revealed at this years E3 and to be released in 2020. Every single game of theirs have always been revealed at E3. It just feels like a good time to reveal it and nobody wants to think we'd have to wait until E3 2020 for a reveal.

Also, with them taking on MP4 that could be an indication on whatever they're working on is done or near completion. No one is expecting it to release this year though.

I am currently updating the OP.

Any big worthwhile rumor after the big Xbox wave ? Dark Cloud (I know you are always updated regarding rumor :p )

Hmm. Lol I have nothing right now.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just some random studio. This is their own studio. With a flawless track record, mind you. We really need to give this forced worrying about Retro a rest.
No game output for (presumably) 6-9 years means something went incredibly wrong.
I think he's saying if Metroid Prime 4 doesn't release for another 3 years then Between DKCTF and MP4 could be 8 years difference.
If SF Grand Prix isn't real, it's an 8 year difference with 5 years of *nothing*.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I understand.

The only issue with that (and it's certainly not a dealbreaker) is that everyone will be expecting MP4 to be their next announcement/trailer if they don't show anything this year. So showing another game at next E3 might cause some backlash from Metroid fans saying Retro isn't taking MP4 seriously or they aren't giving it their full attention or what have you.

That's why this year seems like the last year to realistically announce a new game from them, even if it doesn't release until 2020.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Except this part isn't true, at least officially. They assisted on Mario Kart 7 a long time ago but since then they have not been credited with any other game besides Tropical Freeze.
Oh, I was confused then. I thought they helped on Mario Kart 8. If only MK7, yikes! What have they been doing? I still think there is a decent enough chance that we'll get another Retro game before MP4. I'll eat my words if E3 comes and goes without an announcement.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If SF Grand Prix isn't real, it's an 8 year difference with 5 years of *nothing*.
Just because Star Fox isn't real doesn't mean there isn't something else.

The facts are Retro has another game. It's in the writers LinkedIn profile that Retro has an unannounced AAA title since last year. The important part is when that writer left June 2018, that the game continues smoothly and will come out.

Oct 25, 2017

The facts are Retro has another game. It's in the writers LinkedIn profile that Retro has an unannounced AAA title since last year. The important part is when that writer left June 2018, that the game continues smoothly and will come out.
They probably have to announce it at e3 then?

At least I wouldn't be confident in RETRO's output if they went nearly a generation's worth without any game releases

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think people are expecting Retro's game to be revealed at this years E3 and to be released in 2020. Every single game of theirs have always been revealed at E3. It just feels like a good time to reveal it and nobody wants to think we'd have to wait until E3 2020 for a reveal.

Also, with them taking on MP4 that could be an indication on whatever they're working on is done or near completion. No one is expecting it to release this year though.
The only issue with that (and it's certainly not a dealbreaker) is that everyone will be expecting MP4 to be their next announcement/trailer if they don't show anything this year. So showing another game at next E3 might cause some backlash from Metroid fans saying Retro isn't taking MP4 seriously or they aren't giving it their full attention or what have you.

That's why this year seems like the last year to realistically announce a new game from them, even if it doesn't release until 2020.
I agree that it makes sense that the Retro game, even if it is for 2020, will be announced this E3. I just think that its not being announced this E3 would not mean it doesn't exist, just that Nintendo has decided to announce it later, even as far as 2020, for what they think are logical (to them...) reasons.

Then again I could be completely wrong, Retro right now could be just 5 guys making barbecues in their backyard, using incriminating material against Miyamoto to blackmail Nintendo into giving them games to develop despite not completing any games for years. :-)

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Has another game or HAD another game? What happened to that game once Retro took over development of MP4? Is it far enough along that it'll be released before MP4 or will it be put on the backburner until after MP4, or worse, canceled altogether?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Emily mentioned Retro, in a post late last year or earlier this year. It was a post also mentioning Platinum, and which read like "2019 is going to be a great year [...] Also, I wonder what retro is doing." (sorry if I'm paraphrasing, but I doubt I'm too far off).
I think it was not a guess, but based on info she had at the time. She may still have been referring to StarFox GP though as she used to be a believer (and now we know it was probably bullshit), but she may also have heard that they had a game (whichever it may be) that could release in 2019. I hope it's a DK. We deserve a new DK. Can't blue ball us like that with a Tropical Freeze without bringing us some Jungle Heat.

Oct 25, 2017
She may still have been referring to StarFox GP though as she used to be a believer (and now we know it was probably bullshit), but she may also have heard that they had a game (whichever it may be) that could release in 2019. I hope it's a DK. We deserve a new DK. Can't blue ball us like that with a Tropical Freeze without bringing us some Jungle Heat.
Don't think we know that yet. Still baffled by the leap that "starlink added racing 6 months after launch so that was what insiders confused star fox racing with" as it makes no sense.

Also don't really see a new DK game out so soon. Would be disappointing if after 6 years that's all we got, in any case.
To put that in perspective, that's more than it took for BOTW to come out after Skyward Sword. (5 years and 4 months vs 6 years if whatever the have comes out Q1 2020)

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well, Nintendo knows that people associate Metroid Prime with Retro, and they would be pissed if they canceled it completely. They could have given it to Retro to avoid bigger shitstorms and they could hope that Retro gets their shit together and invest in a bigger team. It could have saved Retros ass, but thats pure speculation. We know there have been cancelations before in Retro Studios. If they worked on a game in 2015 that hasn't released yet it probably was canceled down the road and it's not impossible they had nothing in all this years but a DC TF port..... and perhaps they were doing Metroid Prime Trilogy HD remaster.... .

Ah, I understand.

The question is if they really gave it to Retro because of their grandiose pitch or if they gave it to them because they didn't know what to do with it after development with Namco has gone south..... You can see it in a optimistic or pessimistic way. I wonder why they didn't give it to them from the start. I hope it all goes well and they have something to show at E3.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They probably have to announce it at e3 then?

At least I wouldn't be confident in RETRO's output if they went nearly a generation's worth without any game releases

I can understand people not being so confident considering we haven't even gotten an announcement of a new game in 5 years (not counting MP4). If that game they've been working on last year is still good then E3 2019 is our best bet of it being revealed.

Has another game or HAD another game? What happened to that game once Retro took over development of MP4? Is it far enough along that it'll be released before MP4 or will it be put on the backburner until after MP4, or worse, canceled altogether?

They had a game in 2018. Idk if that game is still in development or cancelled or put on pause for Metroid Prime 4. That's the million dollar question now is, if that game is still in development will we see it at this E3?

I've probably said this a hundred times by now (lol), but I think the 2018 game started development in 2016. The writer joining Retro in 2016, an inside employee being promoted to narrative designer at the same time and another Retro employee implying he started working on a new game sometime around 2016 leads me to believe that.

That would mean that game could've been in development for 3 years by now.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Don't think we know that yet. Still baffled by the leap that "starlink added racing 6 months after launch so that was what insiders confused star fox racing with" as it makes no sense.

Also don't really see a new DK game out so soon. Would be disappointing if after 6 years that's all we got, in any case

The Starlink thing is indeed one of the reason why I do not believe in Starfox GP anymore, but it's not the only one. My other reasons are: Zhuge saying something like "a twitter rumor being fake, what a surprise" (paraphrasing, again), Jason voicing here that he is far less confident about that info, and the developer of Love/Kuso (great games which I recommend by the way) saying on this very forum that he talked with a Retro employee who assured him that Starfox GP was never a thing, coupled with the fact that everyone and their dog talked about it a year ago, and no other thing has filtered since then.
The probability that Starfox GP never existed is now quite high. And yes, if it was a thing, showing space race with the starfox characters in a direct but for another game would be confusing as hell. Not to mention that the base idea to make a Starfox racing game was weird from the beginning.

Oct 25, 2017
The question is if they really gave it to Retro because of their grandiose pitch or if they gave it to them because they didn't know what to do with it after development with Namco has gone south..... You can see it in a optimistic or pessimistic way. I wonder why they didn't give it to them from the start. I hope it all goes well and they have something to show at E3.
That's another thing, I doubt they'd essentially form a new team if the old team was capable of making it.
If it was just that they were too busy to make it, then they dev hell'd through a project and we're supposed to feel confident?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can understand people not being so confident considering we haven't even gotten an announcement of a new game in 5 years (not counting MP4). If that game they've been working on last year is still good then E3 2019 is our best bet of it being revealed.

They had a game in 2018. Idk if that game is still in development or cancelled or put on pause for Metroid Prime 4. That's the million dollar question now is, if that game is still in development will we see it at this E3?

I've probably said this a hundred times by now (lol), but I think the 2018 game started development in 2016. The writer joining Retro in 2016, an inside employee being promoted to narrative designer at the same time and another Retro employee implying he started working on a new game sometime around 2016 leads me to believe that.

That would mean that game could've been in development for 3 years by now.
Is Retro large enough to work on two potentially big games like this? I didn't think they were. And I assume they started working on MP4 immediately. So if we don't hear anything at E3 the next Retro game we're getting is MP4...in 2022

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to give Retro Metroid Prime 4 years ago if they're busy with another game. Come on man.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Also don't really see a new DK game out so soon. Would be disappointing if after 6 years that's all we got, in any case.
To put that in perspective, that's more than it took for BOTW to come out after Skyward Sword. (5 years and 4 months vs 6 years if whatever the have comes out Q1 2020)

It's not just the Starlink thing. Maybe it wasn't confused for Starlink footage, but Starlink having a racing mode while Nintendo is working on their own Starfox game with racing just makes very little sense.

On top of that a growing number of insiders seem to be believing it was a miscommunication or even a hoax now. I don't think anyone is really confident in it anymore besides maybe Liam.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Retro large enough to work on two potentially big games like this? I didn't think they were. And I assume they started working on MP4 immediately. So if we don't hear anything at E3 the next Retro game we're getting is MP4...in 2022
Idk if they're large enough to do 2 games at a time. They've been growing though. They've been hiring people last year. Most of us assume a majority of the studio will move on to Metroid Prime 4 while a smaller group can finish up this 2018 game and reveal it at E3.

If we don't hear anything about a game from them at E3...then yeah I'm basically thinking we won't see a game from them until Metroid Prime 4 which SUCKS.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think they'd have anything to do with each other.
Starlink is a multiplatform release, what's Nintendo going to say "don't add this content"

I can believe it's a hoax, just not that it was confused with Starlink

They licensed out their characters for this game. Ubisoft then turning around and giving it a mode similar to a game Nintendo is making would be pretty unlikely.

And yeah, like I said maybe it wasn't confused with Starlink, but at the very least that racing mode seemed to be a red flag that got people to recheck their sources and now nobody is really confident in it existing anymore.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
excuse me but: what is a reasonable explanation of them not having released nor announced a game in the latest 5 years?
we have officially seen with MP4 as even at Nintendo development can go wrong. so, why are you so sure that everything is ok at Retro Studio?
I don't know? Several things are possible, I just find it silly to default to the doom version which has been happening for quite some time now (basically since after DKCTF came out). Even if they had projects shelved, I don't see how that automatically points to "trouble." The post I responded to was positing a scenario where NCL wouldn't hand a high profile project like MP4 to Retro just because they hadn't put out a game since 2014 which somehow implied the studio not to be a reliable part of their development efforts. That logic simply does not hold up to me, for the reasons cited. Projects can be morphed into something else, restructuring efforts can mean they were doing exploratory work, or they have simply spent the time working on something they have chosen not to announce (such as that MPT remaster, for example). Of course the floor might also be lava and statements from people who have left in the meantime we've heard suggesting otherwise were lies.

"with MP4 even at Nintendo development can go wrong" ...we have seen that many times before - at actual Nintendo, not Bamco which is where MP4 went wrong.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Would be disappointing sure, but anyway if there's one thing that Jason Schreier is pretty sure about Retro, it's that they got a game that got cancelled during the last 5 years. They might be at a 3 years of dev now, which is pretty usual for a game nowadays.
If they had a game cancelled, I could see both them and Nintendo deciding to do a new DK then, to be sure to actually have a great game releasing before starting something new once again. Like, let's put us back on track again, let's do something we're fucking great at in order to get the confidence back here in the studio.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The other thing to note is that Metroid Prime originally is what Retro was given back when they were having trouble completing a game. It's certainly possible Nintendo has once again decided to give Retro Metroid Prime in order to get them back into a place where they can produce and ship games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Takahashi said he wants "Metroid Prime 4 to stand shoulder to shoulder with the first 3 games" and Nintendo has showed how important Metroid Prime is to them and for the fans. Tanabe is coming over to Retro to continue leading MP4. Not sure why people would be worried.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
You'd think SNES games coming would be announced in a direct or something. Maybe a YouTube trailer drop.

I hoped so too but this month I have a feeling they'll do catchup with some NES games we don't have. like Kid Icarus, Punchout or something of the sort. Once those two games are out I feel, THEN they'll work on the SNES stuff since Nintendo First Party things are taken care of

but by god if this month we get black box games

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be disappointing sure, but anyway if there's one thing that Jason Schreier is pretty sure about Retro, it's that they got a game that got cancelled during the last 5 years. They might be at a 3 years of dev now, which is pretty usual for a game nowadays.
If they had a game cancelled, I could see both them and Nintendo deciding to do a new DK then, to be sure to actually have a great game releasing before starting something new once again. Like, let's put us back on track again, let's do something we're fucking great at in order to get the confidence back here in the studio.
Yeah I could definitely see them having 2D DK ready. It looks like their 2014 game is cancelled and probably around 2016 they saw some troubles coming and they said "you know what let's do something we know really well and can release". That could've let them start a group of people on a new 2D DK game and almost 3 years time is definitely more than enough time to finish that.

DKCR on the Wii launched in 2010 and DKCTF released February 2014 (was ready before that). Took them 3 years between those 2 games and they had to go from SD to HD.