• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this was already known, but it's a small tidbit hidden in the German press release for Labo:

Nintendo sold more than 600,000 Switch units in Germany in less than a year. That's more than any other Nintendo home console sold in the same time frame, including Wii.

Press Release said:
Vor knapp einem Jahr erst hat das Unternehmen mit Nintendo Switch die erste mobile TV-Konsole der Welt herausgebracht. Sie hat sich in Deutschland mit mehr als 600.000 Konsolen bisher besser verkauft als jede andere TV-Konsole von Nintendo im vergleichbaren Zeitraum – und hat damit auch Wii überholt.

Press Release (translated) said:
Just roughly a year ago, the company launched Nintendo Switch, the world's first mobile TV console. It has sold more than 600,000 consoles in Germany so far, better than any other Nintendo TV console in the same period - and has thus also overtaken Wii.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very impressive. The software is also doing really well there, I think 3 Switch games were in the top 10 best selling games of the year in Germany.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I really don't know how can a company fail miserably every other generation to just then skyrocket to the top on the next one. They're weird.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Switch's best selling Europe country is France then.
Actually I'm not surprised as French just love Japan.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Look at it this way. My local stores have reduced Switch shelf space to the bottom, right next to unsold stock of Skylanders toys. It's really depressing to look at.

We weally don't like Nintendo stuff here. Sadly.
Wii and DS were both absolutely massive in the UK, as was Game Boy back in the day, and everything Pokémon including the trading cards. So the whole UK doesn't like Nintendo thing is nonsense.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Great sales once again for the Switch. So right now the best market are USA , Japan , France , Germany.

Really big difference between France and Germany though.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
The UK situation looks weirder and weirder every day.

I don't think it's that weird, Nintendo doesn't have the same nostalgia factor in the UK as it does in other parts of the world and the 2 biggest games on the switch cater to that nostalgia. Also the switch doesn't have the same inherent appeal to non-gamers as the Wii did.

It will probably pick up in sales in year 2 and beyond like the DS did, probably after price drops.

RabbidPeach

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
England
Wii and DS were both absolutely massive in the UK, as was Game Boy back in the day, and everything Pokémon including the trading cards. So the whole UK doesn't like Nintendo thing is nonsense.

You missed out the SNES, N64, Gamecube, 3DS, Wii-U.....

Trust me, as a lifelong Nintendo fan in the UK, it's a very lonely road I have walked :(

OP
OP
wrowa

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The most recent GfK sales numbers for other consoles I can find on the quick are from August 2016. In other words, quite outdated — but I think they are worth posting anyway. Maybe someone else has numbers that are more up to date.

PS4: 3,200,000
Wii U: 745,000
Xbox One: 710,000

(Again: As of August 2016. Very old numbers.)

PS4 apparently was at 540,000 units sold in June 2014.

http://www.4players.de/4players.php...or_Wii_U_und_Xbox_One.html?4pTemplate=desktop

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty good! For comparison

As of September 2007
Wii: 361,000 (10 months)
360: 316,000 (22 months)
PS3: 135,000 (7 months)

Wii ended 2007 with 728K

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is doing ok in UK but its not setting the charts on fire. Switch in mainland Europe is in beast mode

France, Italy and Germany have seen switch being the fastest selling home console for Nintendo ever
In France it is even better being the best selling hardware ever for Nintendo

I think that Spain too will soon share the same trend

UK is the only market with good but not great sales so far among the big 5

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The UK situation looks weirder and weirder every day.

Here in Australia the system feels pretty irrelevant. I haven't lived here long, but stores don't seem to keep stock of software whenever I'm looking. Just the other day I went to a couple stores looking for a copy of Yooka Laylee and Doom, and the JBHifi employee just outright told me Yooka Laylee isn't on Switch, and that Doom was out of stock.

I love the system, but I feel like my interests are definitely not in-line with most gamers I've met over here.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe we have actual numbers for the Switch in Germany. Danke Merkel!

So it's selling faster than Wii here too and this should put Germany at 2nd place in Europe for Nintendo consoles in Europe behind France (911k).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here in Australia the system feels pretty irrelevant. I haven't lived here long, but stores don't seem to keep stock of software whenever I'm looking. Just the other day I went to a couple stores looking for a copy of Yooka Laylee and Doom, and the JBHifi employee just outright told me Yooka Laylee isn't on Switch, and that Doom was out of stock.

I love the system, but I feel like my interests are definitely not in-line with most gamers I've met over here.

Yooka Laylee doesn't have a retail version(yet).

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most recent GfK sales numbers for other consoles I can find on the quick are from August 2016. In other words, quite outdated — but I think they are worth posting anyway. Maybe someone else has numbers that are more up to date.

PS4: 3,200,000
Wii U: 745,000
Xbox One: 710,000

(Again: As of August 2016. Very old numbers.)

PS4 apparently was at 540,000 units sold in June 2014.

http://www.4players.de/4players.php...or_Wii_U_und_Xbox_One.html?4pTemplate=desktop
Handheld numbers?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think Yooka Laylee got a physical release? I get that reaction, but it does suck about doom.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We also know Switch is selling faster than Wii in Italy but No numbers were provided for there.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Great news.

As far as we know, the Switch's weakest markets so far are the UK and Australia. I want to hear how they're selling compared to other Nintendo systems in these territories.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Is it safe to say that the Switch is close to 2.5m in EU?

Edit: Seems like it's a lot higher than that.

Last edited:

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
having lived in the UK for most of my life there has always been a bit of a 'Nintendo is for kids' mentality amongst my friends and family. I guess the cultural thing is still a thing.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It sold 5ish million in the US and it is at around 3 million in Japan and we got the confirmation it passed 10 million WW a few weeks ago so I'd say it's around possibly 3 million by now in EU. Maybe a bit under to account for other countries in Asia.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

Japan is over 3.3 million by the end of 2017, why would you think Europe not only is under that, but even MUCH less than Japan?

The "Rest of the world" section from Nintendo was always bigger than Japan, and we know most of those sales comes from Europe. Plus US is over 4.8 million, no way Europe is only half of that.

That was before the holidays lol, it's easy well over that now.