• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

So Switch still on the road to 100M worldwide?

• Yay. It always have been. It will breeze through it

Votes: 500 84.3%
  • No, it will meet with an unexpected accident resulting in early death

Votes: 61 10.3%
  • But but but..

Votes: 32 5.4%

• Total voters

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Switch sold 6.50M last year making it the highest for any system this gen. What a turnaround for Nintendo.
Thank you Xevross for the data
From the numbers I have, top 5 years from this gen (approx.):

NSW 2019 - 6.50M
PS4 2015 - 5.74M
NSW 2018 - 5.63M
PS4 2017 - 5.44M
PS4 2018 - 5.33M
For anyone de-railing the thread with 'but not this gen' then please look at this
Switch will be competing/sharing the market with PS4 for more amount of time than WiiU,
WiiU-PS4 Nov 2013 - Feb 2017 3years 3 months
Switch- PS4 Mar 2017 - Nov 2020 3years 8 months

Last edited:

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Impressive, same for the PS4.
They both killed it "this gen".
Excellence won.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Starting the good news on Nintendo sales early tonight I see.

The first of many threads. Can't wait for the Q3 results in an hour

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Not this again. By the time PS5 launches, it will be 4 years since switch started competing/sharing the market with PS4/Xbox one.

Not that this particularly matters but the Wii launched with the PS3, the Wii U launched before the PS4/XB1 and the Switch afterwards. The Switch is the gen after both machines if you go based off of the order of Nintendo consoles. At least that's how I see it.

It also doesn't matter, six and a half million consoles in a year is a lot.

OP
OP
Personablue

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Switch will in all likelihood spend more of its life cycle competing with the PS4 and Xbox one than the follow ups to those consoles, so I don't really see how it isn't the same gen as them.
Also will be competing/sharing the market with PS4 for more amount of time than WiiU,
WiiU-PS4 Nov 2013 - Feb 2017 3years 3 months
Switch- PS4 Mar 2017 - Nov 2020 3years 8 montha

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's better to say, "The Switch has already had a year in which it sold more than the PS4 ever did in any one of its years."

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really is a great device. I remember when they first announced it I thought the price was too high for it to be a success.
Goes to show if you put good games on it - the people will come.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Both PS4 and Xbox One dying down because of next gen being around the corner may help it since it's the only one that's not winding down.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
But that's not the point of the thread is it. PS4 or Xbox one never had a 6M year in their entire lifetime. Switch did 6.5
I was thinking that they've always had to compete against each other without having a spot light only on one of them. Then again, maybe this year people will start saving up for the next consoles.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the money. Now bring us more SNES games, ya dolts. This new release schedule is killing me.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It really is a great device. I remember when they first announced it I thought the price was too high for it to be a success.
Goes to show if you put good games on it - the people will come.
Wii U had great games, you're severely underselling the hardware factor here. Switch is a much more attractive formfactor.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Wii U had great games, you're severely underselling the hardware factor here. Switch is a much more attractive formfactor.

Sure - but they weren't games anyone really wanted to play. Super Mario 3D World perhaps, but you wouldn't buy a console just for it. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey by themselves made a more exciting line-up than anything the WiiU put out in a year in my opinion, and I suspect I'm not alone in thinking so.

I agree with the point about the form factor though. The Wii U was not a good looking device.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I've invested a ton in my Switch. Controllers, games, accessories, DLC. Can't wait to splurge even more money on a Switch Pro. Make it happen plz Nintendo