• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I can tell you the reason why: Taxes.
UK offers a big taxcut for gaming companies which is attractive for publishers to
locate their EU office around London. That's why NoE moved their warehouse from Großostheim (half an hour away from Frankfurt Airport)
to UK and will move it again to Spain because of Brexit.
But based on their performance in the UK and compared to mainland EU... it just doesn't make sense for them to focus THAT hard
on just one country and not the rest of Europe
I didn't know they were relocating the warehouse to Spain.
I know they have one in Catalonia that was intended to update the 3ds systems before they reached consumers *wink wink*

Also, now I'm VERY interested in seeing numbers for Spain. Around half of my friends have it.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The comparison numbers quoted are for 2016.

I hope someone corrects the the op.

It's mentioned in the article

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Not enough lol. Go buy 10 copies of Xeno 2.^_^
Already got one japanese digital, one French physical, and the japanese collector (withouth the game). I think that's not too bad (plan on getting the OST) : P.

I usually get my RPGs in japanese cause I need the text (and voices), which is often removed from the localisation so I actually support both territories.
どういたしまして.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's doing really well afaik, and isn't released in Japan yet.

I think we have a few numbers here and there. Also it was in the top games in NA, below Splatoon iirc.
I just predicted 3-4m before release, and feel confident.

It's definitely doing better than okay though. It was reported as the top selling 3rd party Switch game. Which puts it above minecraft, SF, DBZ, etc.

It is selling strongly and consistently in every markets. Ubisoft was thrilled by its performance :

https://www.latribune.fr/technos-me...ns-dopent-les-resultats-d-ubisoft-757087.html

Nice! Very well deserved - it's not the best game ever, but it had all odds against it. I'm enjoying it very much and it's the best coop experience for me on the switch yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So between France and Japan, FIFA is at 150k. Might be at what, 400k worldwide?

You'd have to think that's enough for EA on a new console after 3 months to put out a proper FIFA 19 instead of going the legacy edition route? Obviously a drop in the bucket compared to the PS4/XB1 versions, but you'd think that number would continue to grow as the userbase grows in 2018, especially in a World Cup year. Will be interested to see what they do.

We are missing also numbers from eShop sales. In Japan it only has around 5% digital but it should higher than that in Europe considering the mess EA did with physical stock on release. And that mess should also be considered by EA when they analyze sales, not having enough physical stock on release it's going to impact any multiplattform game sales.

As you said, it would be interesting to see if EA releases the Fifa World Cup version on Switch. I think they should, I can't imagine the World Cup version has high development costs for any plattform. And a game like FIFA is going to escalate sales as soon as the install base grows, like any other mainstream game. It seems that Switch is going to be a sucessful console, so I think it would be profitable for EA on the long run to port Frostbite to Switch.

UK offers a big taxcut for gaming companies which is attractive for publishers to
locate their EU office around London. That's why NoE moved their warehouse from Großostheim (half an hour away from Frankfurt Airport)
to UK and will move it again to Spain because of Brexit.
But based on their performance in the UK and compared to mainland EU... it just doesn't make sense for them to focus THAT hard
on just one country and not the rest of Europe

I didn't know about NoE moving offices to Spain. Good news for us spanish people, I guess :). But in the receipts I receive when I buy something on the eShop fiscal address is in Germany, not UK. So they should be paying taxes in Germany. I'm not sure why they don't move fiscal addres to Luxembourg like Amazon.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding third party titles :

FIFA 18 d'Electronic Arts a fait 73 000 unités (sans le digital) L'éditeur est très satisfait. Ubisoft a également de très bons résultats avec Mario+ Lapins Crétins mais aussi avec Rayman Legend et Just Dance qui font l'un et l'autre plus de 50 000 unités). Super Bomberman de Konami a été en rupture pendant trois semaines. Tous les éditeurs tiers qui ont joué le jeu sont satisfaits de leur année. Et il va y avoir de nouvelles annonces sur Switch. Fifa était pour eux un test-match. Ce qui est intéressant pour eux, c'est que nous allons entrer dans la phase d'accélération des ventes de la console en fonction du cycle de vie. Fifa l'année de la coupe du monde, en portabilité sur Switch, on peut imaginer qu'ils pourront sans problème doubler la mise.

- FIFA 18 : 73k without digital
- EA is very satisfied
-
Super Bomberman was out of stock for 3 weeks.
- New announcemnts are coming, Fifa was a real test and the Switch passed it
- Expecting to double those sales thanks to the World Cup.

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/loisi...da-l-incroyable-come-back-nintendo-a3491.html

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Already got one japanese digital, one French physical, and the japanese collector (withouth the game). I think that's not too bad (plan on getting the OST) : P.

I usually get my RPGs in japanese cause I need the text (and voices), which is often removed from the localisation so I actually support both territories.
どういたしまして.

Lol. I am just joking but u are already buying like crazy lol. I already bought the game here too and i intent to get the full artbook to complete my Xenoblade collection lol.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

- EA is very satisfied
-

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/loisi...da-l-incroyable-come-back-nintendo-a3491.html

wow, so much info.

What could EA bring though?
Burnout, Madden?
We know about Fe.

A way out?

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Will be interesting to see the momentum when Pokémon releases. Overall it's doing good in Europe, great in Japan, and mindblowing in USA. Just a year ago I was hoping that the switch will end up north of 50m when all is said and done. 10 months in,and it's shattering records left and right. And Sony also has had it's best year. And PUBG being one of,if not the most succesfull PC games ever. What a year.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Lol. I am just joking but u are already buying like crazy lol. I already bought the game here too and i intent to get the full artbook to complete my Xenoblade collection lol.
I know you were kidding, but I don't joke with Monolithsoft (which is me btw) : 3 (ok I joke a little and I'm at work so it's harder to get some gif or picture to show how casual I am)

I also have 2 japanese versions of XenobladeX and 2 of the first Xenoblade (1 japanese, 1 euro)
Now I can get 3 copies of Xenosaga if they release the collection (just need 2 in japanese, I have 1 and 3).

Xeno-return !!!!!
chibirobotinflame.jpg

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Last edited:

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see Switch being a popular system in Europe - even at it's current price point especially after Zelda, Splatoon 2, MK8D, Minecraft, Arms and a bunch of indie/smaller local multiplayer games are released.

It's all a matter of reaching critical mass for the holidays and becoming the must own item this Christmas Pokemon Stars, Super Mario Odyssey and another major title being released before the end of the year could definitely see the system being in a similar position to the Wii. I'm mainly expecting this to be a more front-loaded system that outsells the 3DS in a couple of years with at least a few additional revisions and additional hardware being released within the ecosystem.

Also 3DS/2DS have been doing the work all over the place and YW2 is only now coming to the system in Europe, considering YW sales in Europe and how they are outperforming the franchise's debut in Japan it's no small matter that third parties are the only ones releasing major games for the system. I'm not sure what the plans are for Monster Hunter XX in the West but I won't be surprised if it's announced for this summer. If you look at the top 10 for the year in France on Amazon Pokemon Sun is still 6, the 3DS/2DS are still difficult to find and I can definitely see both devices have their niches this year. Once the support dries up towards the end of the year we will see the marketing push focused on making the Switch the go to gift this holiday.

My post from February in theNintendo France sales expectations thread at the old place. Quite a few posts that were making fun of one guy that predicted 1M, yet Switch is just 89K shy of a million.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
1-2 Switch 200k
13 million amiibo (I assume WW), 630k in 2017, 10% increase YOY
221k SNES Classic

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Very well deserved - it's not the best game ever, but it had all odds against it. I'm enjoying it very much and it's the best coop experience for me on the switch yet.
It's not perfect but it's exactly the sort of game the system needs. I'm really glad it's found an audience because that can be a bit of a crapshoot on Nintendo hardware.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know you were kidding, but I don't joke with Monolithsoft (which is me btw) : 3 (ok I joke a little and I'm at work so it's harder to get some gif or picture to show how casual I am)

I also have 2 japanese versions of XenobladeX and 2 of the first Xenoblade (1 japanese, 1 euro)
Now I can get 3 copies of Xenosaga if they release the collection (just need 2 in japanese, I have 1 and 3).

Xeno-return !!!!!
chibirobotinflame.jpg

Lol. U are one crazy xeno fan huh.^_^

I own 1 xeno x limited edition, 1 skell figure, 1 complete art book lol.
Also, 1 xeno 3ds and now 1 xeno 2. My collection is pathetic compared to urs lol.

Oct 26, 2017
locate their EU office around London.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. From what I know about industry tax breaks, the UK provides game companies with a refund on their development costs (Which IIRC is essentially the tax they pay on employee's salaries). Not only does Nintendo not develop their games within the UK, for a game to be eligible for the tax breaks (It is done on a game by game basis rather than the studio), the game must also pass a (ridiculous) "Culture test". Points are awarded for how "British" the game is. This can mean the setting, story, nationality of the characters in the game but also applies to the number of UK citizens working on the title. In other words, the only Nintendo game I can think of that would potentially be eligible for these breaks would be Snipperclips. The whole system for UK tax breaks has come under fire for totally missing the point and being ass-blastingly stupid.

Now, there might be additional breaks for distribution and the actual selling of the stuff which I know nothing about, but as far as development goes Nintendo probably doesn't qualify.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Hardware sales are big, but software sales are huge. Lots of software is selling well, many genres and franchises. Zelda became an instant classic.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

- EA is very satisfied
-

We passed another test people. High five! (Maybe I can convince my bro to buy Fifa 19 for Switch if it is 100% same game as PS4.)

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
wow, so much info.

What could EA bring though?
Burnout, Madden?
We know about Fe.

A way out?

I think, a good port of A way out has the potential of selling more on Switch that on any other console because of the co-op gameplay. Also it's pretty crazy that EA didn't release Madden 18 on Switch with how great is selling on the US. I think the Sims could do also very well on Switch. Sea of Solitude could also do well and then some late ports like a Dragon Age Collection, Mass Effect collection, Mirror's edge, a Burnout...

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Lol. U are one crazy xeno fan huh.^_^

I own 1 xeno x limited edition, 1 skell figure, 1 complete art book lol.
Also, 1 xeno 3ds and now 1 xeno 2. My collection is pathetic compared to urs lol.
Ok I gat the Formula too : P.
Bu bu but ! I don't have Xenoblade 3ds aaaand I don't have any X special edition, just the artbook.
I'd like to get the OST though. I have the first Xenoblade's.

I have a friend that's much worse. I think he has Xenoblade 2 JP digital + JP collector + Euro collector (all with games I think).

It's weird to think that France is more into all that when I see by myself how life goes on.
I mean... nothing from school or friends back then made me go play those sweet PS1 RPGs.
And nobody was talking about games anywhere.

Now, all I hear at school (working in, not as a student) is GTA, CoD, and so on... PS4 basically also.
It's fun how Nintendo is assumed to be for kids and yet I hear much less kids talking about that.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

- EA is very satisfied
-

Oh, that's quite big news. If I'm reading this correctly, EA are saying they expect sales to accelerate and software sales to do so as well. Sounds like they are planning on continuing support. Sounds threadworthy to me, could you perhaps make one (we're going to need an exact translation to convey EA's comments properly, so we need a francophone imo)?

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly the next FIFA should go for the NBA route: exactly the same game as PS4/XB1 but 30fps and lower res. The fact that it's not the same game hampered FIFA 18 Switch a lot imo.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's quite big news. If I'm reading this correctly, EA are saying they expect sales to accelerate and software sales to do so as well. Sounds like they are planning on continuing support. Sounds thread worth, could you perhaps make one (we're going to need an exact translation to convey EA's comments properly, so we need a francophone imo)?

Yes I could. However given the way they are phrasing it, it think he talked about 3rd party support in general not only EA's.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

- EA is very satisfied
-

Ive been saying this for a while now. FIFA is doing very well on the Switch. No other Nintendo platform had such sales for FIFA. This is probably new thread worthy.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a brit in France and it seems to be really popular. It was hard to get hold of for ages, but there's plenty of stock around me in Orne.

One thing I've noticed is that software prices on Switch have been really good. So often games were so much more expensive than the UK, but on Switch, even with a strong Euro, I've generally been paying less than in the UK (as long as I don't go to Super U or Carrefour!).

It was also the case with the Switch itself, at least until the UK started having great deals around since Black Friday.

Now why won't anyone on Le Bon Coin buy my copy of Odyssey for 40€ with suivi?!? Or why won't anyone sell Bomberman or Puyo Puyo for less than 20€ even with the Soldes D'hiver!

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Very impressive. Whilst selling hat much HW is great yet again the SW sales on the switch are the real standout. The first party titles in particular have an insane attaxhbrate everywhere.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the price war at the release helped too. When the Switch was ~330€ in other Europe countries, in France main shops lowered the price more and more, under 300€ before day 1. I got mine bundled with Zelda at < 350€ day 1.

But yes, in France we love Nintendo/Sony, JRPG, mangas, Japan food and culture in general. And football, A LOT. Most of my friends love the handled mode of the Switch and didn't mind to double dip. Same for indies.
I once saw a manga/anime cafe. You could sit there and watch anime at the same time on several LCD screens. I wouldn't be surprised if someone opens a maid cafe in France.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
That is really good for Nintendo! Switch is posed to outsell Xbox One this year despite it being in the market for so long.

Really happy for the big 3 selling so well and I'm shocked that FIFA is at 73k without digital. Digital should at least be around 2-4K and together with Jp and uk sales it should be around 150k and probably 25-50k from USA sales. Maybe it's already around 250k worldwide

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes I could. However given the way they are phrasing it, it think he talked about 3rd party support in general not only EA's.
Hmm, yeah, that's possible. The transition is a bit weird, though. First he says EA is very satisfied, then gors on to list other third parties doing well, and says everyone who played along with Switch was satisfied. Then, he says there'LL be more announcements in the future. Then (and this is the weird twist) he says FIFA was a test for them, and that waxing console sales will allow for bigger sales and that thr world cup will boost FIFA sales as well.

I can see how it could be the author's own additions, but it's kinda weird to tie FIFA back in so suddenly imo. Could be my understanding of France that makes it nucleair, of course. Anyway, I think the statement that EA is satisfied is the threadworthy bit, since before they hinted that numbers might not be satisfying.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

- EA is very satisfied
-

Thats very good to hear...i wonder if EA might be dropping a mayor patch on the Switch version and providing some stuff that people been asking for. Or if they are gonna keep everything for Fifa 19.

Kokusho

Jan 8, 2018
Proud to be french.
I can see the enthousiasm for the Switch in retailers and the commute. Heard a kid bugging his mother during christmas shopping to get a Switch because his friend had it. There's a lot of ads in the street for it as well. We like our silly japanese stuff here.

Oct 29, 2017

My post from February in theNintendo France sales expectations thread at the old place. Quite a few posts that were making fun of one guy that predicted 1M, yet Switch is just 89K shy of a million.
Good thread

spekkeh on Gaf said:
I'm sure he has more metrics though. I think Nintendo's got a big winner here and GAF is going to look really silly in a year.
Too bad I got banned and GAF emptied, otherwise I'd be feasting.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is doing really well in Europe. Fifa also seems to be selling better then one might have thought after hearing EA's statement. third parties doing well on Switch is very nice and points to a positive relationship going forward.

Cucurbitacée

Oct 28, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
[...]
I didn't know about NoE moving offices to Spain. Good news for us spanish people, I guess :). But in the receipts I receive when I buy something on the eShop fiscal address is in Germany, not UK. So they should be paying taxes in Germany. I'm not sure why they don't move fiscal addres to Luxembourg like Amazon.

Not offices, warehouses. The offices are still in Frankfurt.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Wow, that thread really shows we need to be less bold and more humble when we express our opinions. Being so dismissive and even insulting when you don't even have hard data to back what you are saying it's pretty toxic behaviour.

Not offices, warehouses. The offices are still in Frankfurt.

Oh I see. Even better then. That's more jobs here which is something that Spain always can use.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
More than half of the Switch's sales are coming from November and December alone (459k). I am really looking forward to the next financial report. They are going to crush their forecast.