• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nvidia reported Q3 2018 results yesterday;
Third quarter revenue came in below expectations and guidance for the rest of the year was weaker than expected. Essentially we are post crypto boom so things are slowing down a bit.

In addition to Nvidia's stock price taking a hit, Nintendo also saw its largest drop in two years due to news regarding Tegra processor shipments during the traditionally high 'seasonal period'.

Tegra® Processor business revenue - which includes Automotive, the Nintendo Switch gaming console, and embedded edge AI platforms - was $407 million, down 3 percent from a year ago and down 13 percent sequentially

In addition to being down YoY and QoQ, Nvidia reported that they expected to see minimal sales of Tegra shipments in Q4 too. This does make sense as Q3 shipments are mostly for the holiday and Q4 shipments would be for after holiday.

Our Q4 outlook for gaming reflects very little shipment in the midrange Pascal segment to allow channel inventory to normalize. In Q4, we also expect minimal sales of Tegra chips for game consoles due to the normal seasonal build cycle.

Nintendo is targeting 20 million Switch shipments this fiscal year. Investors are concerned that this news could point to Nintendo failing to hit this target. However, it is worth noting that Nintendo's inventory level is currently at its highest point since Switch launched which indicates that Switch stock is actually quite high already and could explain why Nvidia saw a decline in Tegra shipments this quarter and is forecasting 'minimal sales' next quarter.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/364334381/fil...y_reports/2019/Q319/Q3FY19-CFO-Commentary.pdf
https://www.reuters.com/article/jap...dent-chip-sector-nintendo-dives-idUSL4N1XR2HD

Last edited:

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Essentially we are post crypto boom so things are slowing down a bit.

In addition to Nvidia's stock price taking a hit,

Compared to yesterday, it's taking a really big hit today.
Screenshot_20181117-0210012.png

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So basically investors see an indication that supply for Nintendo MIGHT be down and panic, even though we have concrete information indicating that supply is way up?

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
The drop in Tegra stuff could be more related to cars and nvidia shield rather than Switch sales. Seems like nintendohave been stocking up for smash and pokemon sales so they don't run out over christmas.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Nvidia reported they have 12 weeks of Pascal inventory when they're pushing out Turing. Turing isn't doing that well. Nvidia's stock should have never hit the highs it did, so people are dropping it like a rock since the immediate future doesn't look great.

The sky high persistent growth expectations were never that realistic.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The drop in Tegra stuff could be more related to cars and nvidia shield rather than Switch sales.

The majority of revenue from the Tegra segment is for Switch. It's been that way since Switch launched.

So basically investors see an indication that supply for Nintendo MIGHT be down and panic, even though we have concrete information indicating that supply is way up?

Basically. Nintendo's inventory level is extremely high, but at the same time it is surprising to see Tegra shipments decline like this.

Oct 25, 2017
They saw the frame rate in Veridian Forest and got *pissed*
Will probably go up after smash and pokemon, but if they're ready to trounce the stock over NVIDIA maybe shipping fewer units, can't imagine they'll be fine with Nintendo missing their forecast officially

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Basically. Nintendo's inventory level is extremely high, but at the same time it is surprising to see Tegra shipments decline like this.

I guess that could just be a reflection of the Switch's relatively muted sales this whole year. Production has probably been up since Q4 last year but if sales aren't up enough to match it then they're left with a huge stockpile for the holiday season.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I would assume the stock is way down because of the glut of mid-range cards. I don't really see what Switch stock has to do with this. The fact that Switch stock is way up, even though Tegra shipments were down last quarter and expected to be non-existent this quarter doesn't exactly point to things being rosy on that front, though. But it really shouldn't effect Nvidia since this is such a minor part of their business anyways. This will panic Nintendo stock a lot more than Nvidia. It's the rest causing issues for Nvidia.

Understanding stock markets are all based on hysteria anyways. So it's all a game anyways.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
The drop in Tegra stuff could be more related to cars and nvidia shield rather than Switch sales. Seems like nintendohave been stocking up for smash and pokemon sales so they don't run out over christmas.

It's not, Automotive has been up 7% QoQ and up 19% YoY.

And Nvidia Shield is a niche product. Switch is what increased their Tegra business revenue to new levels since it first appeared.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I guess that could just be a reflection of the Switch's relatively muted sales this whole year. Production has probably been up since Q4 last year but if sales aren't up enough to match it then they're left with a huge stockpile for the holiday season.
What about the possibility of the new Switch supposedly launching next year? 20nm X1 production ramping down may also have a strategic driver contributing to it.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo bet all on the holiday season this FY.
They had to build up the inventory required to match their ambitious forecast before the actual holiday season to not lose sales when demand should be high.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What about the possibility of the new Switch supposedly launching next year? 20nm X1 production ramping down may also have a strategic driver contributing to it.

Wouldn't a new process node's production still be part of the Tegra business? Or are you suggesting that there might be a gap between being able to ship 20nm X1s and whatever the new SoC will be?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't a new process node's production still be part of the Tegra business? Or are you suggesting that there might be a gap between being able to ship 20nm X1s and whatever the new SoC will be?

Yes it would still be part of the business. And there's definitely no gap being that 16nm tegras have been available since before the Switch launched. Now if we're talking about 7nm "X3", sure, but Nintendo isn't going to stop production for that. This is about underperforming sales.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking a gap since the new model won't launch until next FY. Probably late Q2 at earliest.

If Nintendo has 20nm X1 overstock thry might elect to ride things out somewhat.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it would still be part of the business. And there's definitely no gap being that 16nm tegras have been available since before the Switch launched. Now if we're talking about 7nm "X3", sure, but Nintendo isn't going to stop production for that. This is about underperforming sales.

Yeah that's how I see it too, though underperforming relative to investor expectations is probably a better way to put it. Nintendo clearly expected the bulk of their sales to be in Q3 this year so it shouldn't be terribly surprising to them that sales were a bit middling before then.

I'm thinking a gap since the new model won't launch until next FY. Probably late Q2 at earliest.

So you think they've stopped production of base Switches and are now unable to ship the new model too? Wouldn't that put Nintendo in danger of being heavily supply constrained for a large portion of 2019 if holiday sales exceed their expectations?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
What i find interesting is that even car makers are dumping Nvidia and want to put their own chips inside,like Tesla.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
What i find interesting is that even car makers are dumping Nvidia and want to put their own chips inside,like Tesla.

I don't doubt this is happening, but the Tech Report article states the automotive business was up 19% from last year. So this isn't Nvidia's problem on this revenue report.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So you think they've stopped production of base Switches and are now unable to ship the new model too? Wouldn't that put Nintendo in danger of being heavily supply constrained for a large portion of 2019 if holiday sales exceed their expectations?
Not stopped but reduced, and that's supposing a healthy stock surplus. 20nm lines likely aren't cheap to maintain at this point and it could point to the Switch revision being more of an iterative replacement rather than a supplemental addition.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I don't doubt this is happening, but the Tech Report article states the automotive business was up 19% from last year. So this isn't Nvidia's problem on this revenue report.

I know,i just find it funny...first console makers,now car makers... :)

Nvidia is difficult partner,we know that.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not stopped but reduced, and that's supposing a healthy stock surplus. 20nm lines likely aren't cheap to maintain at this point and it could point to the Switch revision being more of an iterative replacement rather than a supplemental addition.

Ah yeah I guess that could make sense.

Either way it looks like investors (on the Nintendo side) are panicking for no reason. Everyone knew this year would ride on the holiday season more than most other years. That should have been baked into the price months ago.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I know,i just find it funny...first console makers,now car makers... :)

Nvidia is difficult partner,we know that.

I think it's more to do with really wanting specialized chips for AI. I don't think automakers and console makers really have anything in common. Because if you want a beastly GPU, you still need to go through one of the big boys. And yeah, you could roll your own in the mobile space (like Apple did), but that's crazy expensive and a company like Nintendo would never go that route. Nintendo wants cheap components that can be repurposed for maximum profit.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Would it be completely crazy to think this is related to the rumoured upcoming Switch revamp? Like Nintendo will be putting a different chip in all Switch units moving forward, and perhaps an even stronger version for a "pro" or "clamshell" budget Switch?

I suppose the chip would need to be somewhat similar or current Switch games might run into odd performance issues. There is a lot I don't know about how the software interacts with the hardware and what is dependant on what.

I'm just spitballing. Has Nvidia seen an increase in the production of any similar but slightly stronger chips? That might be informative.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is the Nvidia crash the result of a wiff on the 20xx series, or because they had some many extra 10xx series around?

Personally speaking I think the 20xx is an absolutely horrible value, and Nvidia has dropped the ball with the low and mid range gpu market.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Is the Nvidia crash the result of a wiff on the 20xx series, or because they had some many extra 10xx series around?

Personally speaking I think the 20xx is an absolutely horrible value, and Nvidia has dropped the ball with the low and mid range gpu market.
Don't think many investors care about the PC gamer market. Nvidia has it cornered, growth will be minimal. People got into Nvidia somewhat for Switch but mostly because they expect Nvidia to corner the smart automotive market, which is THE big growth market of the coming decades. However, this division went down instead of up, while tech is already getting a beating, spooking investors something fierce.

Source: I put all my eggs in Nvidia stock.

tenor.gif

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Don't think many investors care about the PC gamer market. Nvidia has it cornered, growth will be minimal. People got into Nvidia somewhat for Switch but mostly because they expect Nvidia to corner the smart automotive market, which is THE big growth market of the coming decades. However, this division went down instead of up, while tech is already getting a beating, spooking investors something fierce.

Source: I put all my eggs in Nvidia stock.

tenor.gif

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I know a lot of people did.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Would it be completely crazy to think this is related to the rumoured upcoming Switch revamp? Like Nintendo will be putting a different chip in all Switch units moving forward, and perhaps an even stronger version for a "pro" or "clamshell" budget Switch?

I suppose the chip would need to be somewhat similar or current Switch games might run into odd performance issues. There is a lot I don't know about how the software interacts with the hardware and what is dependant on what.

I'm just spitballing. Has Nvidia seen an increase in the production of any similar but slightly stronger chips? That might be informative.
That would get reported under the same Tegra line for financials.

Nvidia isn't going to take a stock hit to conceal SoC sales.

Though I do wonder if Nvidia has to do something for Nintendo due to the exploit in the existing SoC.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Mayb Nintendo are powering the Switch Pro revision with magic pixie dust so once its released demand for the Tegra line will be dead

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
If I got that right Nintendo is not planing to buy to much more Tegra X1 to use this fiscal year due demand?

20m was a dream after the first two quarters results btw... sales are not supporting this forecast.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
If I got that right Nintendo is not planing to buy to much more Tegra X1 to use this fiscal year due demand?

20m was a dream after the first two quarters results btw... sales are not supporting this forecast.

Sales absolutely support this forecast, since the start of the year Nintendo knew the sales would be back-loaded during Holiday Period with the Bundles, Smash and Pokemon.

They had the opportunity to decrease the forecast twice and still doubled-down on the "It will be very challenging but that is our aim".

Whether they reach or don't the 20m is another point of discussion, but the sales in Q1 and Q2 haven't affected their original plans.