• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given this is a UE4 game (much to my surprise), I already fear this being on the blurry side while being 30FPS

Oct 26, 2017
The pro controller is one thing as it could be for PC (since games can use it IIRC), but the actual Switch and Joy-Cons? It's a done deal.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Weird not to announce it. It could be they scrapped plans but had already started some of the work. I'd certainly be excited if it came though.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, did anyone doubt that it was coming 6 months to a year on the Switch? Pretty much all of these remasters have done so, outside Crash Team Racing, which was day and date across all three.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Vicarious Visions seem to have left those for a future port studio, since they're not doing the Switch ports. We don't know if there will be one but Iron Galaxy sounds like a safe bet.

The pro controller is one thing as it could be for PC (since games can use it IIRC), but the actual Switch and Joy-Cons? It's a done deal.

We've been over this, studios cannot officially acknowledge Switch controller support on PC unless the game has a Switch version. Nintendo does not officially support PC, unlike MS.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Would be interesting.

funny that they forgot to take out those images from the demo

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
given this is a UE4 game (much to my surprise), I already fear this being on the blurry side while being 30FPS
There's a number of games on Switch that run UE4 and do it well, some even in the 60 fps range. Not that I expect this game to be optimized to that point but weirder things have happened.

Oct 26, 2017
Vicarious Visions seem to have left those for a future port studio, since they're not doing the Switch ports. We don't know if there will be one but Iron Galaxy sounds like a safe bet.

We've been over this, studios cannot officially acknowledge Switch controller support on PC unless the game has a Switch version. Nintendo does not officially support PC, unlike MS.
Oh really? Didn't know or remember that detail. Intriguing. 🤔

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Weird not to announce it. It could be they scrapped plans but had already started some of the work. I'd certainly be excited if it came though.

Vicarious Visions do not do ports, they left those for the actual port studio. It seems the porting job hasn't been started, or, as you said, at early phases. IIRC Spyro port was done after the game was out on other consoles.

Oct 26, 2017
fwiw I think Spyro turned out great
Spyro had hiccups on Switch. Granted at least going by Digital Foundry, even the main versions had odd performance issues, but on Switch it's rougher. Also it has very brief loading pauses but is that also in the other versions?

They should patch it just once to clean up some grime. The other issue is super low-res textures in places where it's too obvious. Moneybags' bag being a particular offender as he's a fairly common character in 2 and 3. So you're kind of looking at it each time you see him. In environments it's far easier to ignore.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I saw this yesterday on a Discord server but I didn't want to archive it because I couldn't track down where these actually came from and found the lack of media coverage suspicious

The subreddit seems to think it's legit so idk it couldn't hurt I guess: https://www.reddit.com/r/THPS/comments/icvc66/spoiler_thps12_may_be_coming_to_switch_credits_to/
fwiw I think Spyro turned out great
Spyro looked nice visually but has distracting frame pacing issues

Tony Hawk looks really nice, wonder how well it would downscale to Switch

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a number of games on Switch that run UE4 and do it well, some even in the 60 fps range. Not that I expect this game to be optimized to that point but weirder things have happened.
I can't recall any multiplat UE4 games that are 60fps. Yoshi and Travis Strikes Back (multiplat but made for switch first) are the two 60fps games I can recall off the top of my head

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dope. I already bought the digital ps4 version but I'd probably double dip/want this in my collection.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
Sad thing about double dipping is that I'd probably do it, Pro Skater on the go sounds awesome.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Spyro looked nice visually but has distracting frame pacing issues

Tony Hawk looks really nice, wonder how well it would downscale to Switch
yeah I guess you're right, and this one likely won't be as easy to trim down

Spyro had hiccups on Switch. Granted at least going by Digital Foundry, even the main versions had odd performance issues, but on Switch it's rougher. Also it has very brief loading pauses but is that also in the other versions?

They should patch it just once to clean up some grime. The other issue is super low-res textures in places where it's too obvious. Moneybags' bag being a particular offender as he's a fairly common character in 2 and 3. So you're kind of looking at it each time you see him. In environments it's far easier to ignore.
yeah, "great" was probably overly charitable. though as for the textures, art, and visual fidelity in general, the first game fared far better than the latter two, and I also greatly prefer it as a game. my love of the first game probably skews my perspective on the collection a bit

Sep 29, 2019
I really do hope it's real. And i don't doubt it too, honestly. Ubisoft KNOWS that if they announce something for Switch sometime after it has released for other platforms, people are likely to buy it again just for the portability. They are being smart in this one; and i do think this will be the same case for Crash 4.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Portable Tony Hawk sounds good to me. But PlayStation controls are so ingrained into my head when thinking about Tony Hawk. Having grind be anything other than "triangle" is just wrong.

Portable THPS sounds like a dream fulfilled. Please make it happen, somebody.

As long as it's at least 30fps and decent resolution, I would buy this so fast.

Had good fun with American Sk8land or whatever it was on the DS. I'm sure I'd enjoy this as well.

Edit: wonder if the control setup could be made to work well with a GameCube controller...ooooo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, did anyone doubt that it was coming 6 months to a year on the Switch? Pretty much all of these remasters have done so, outside Crash Team Racing, which was day and date across all three.
I literally said in the reveal thread the most annoying aspect was that I knew the Switch would be getting it later and that I wish they'd just announce the port

I can't recall any multiplat UE4 games that are 60fps. Yoshi and Travis Strikes Back (multiplat but made for switch first) are the two 60fps games I can recall off the top of my head
I'm pretty sure FighterZ is 60fps (or at least targets)

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this would be amazing if true. Was genuinely earlier thinking about my time playing Underground 2 on my psp as one of my first games. Yea it's not great but the fun that was had was magical.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well that kills any chance of me buying this on PS4. I can wait.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is true. Hades, while announced just yesterday for Switch, has Switch button labels when you use a Pro Controller on PC. It also has DualShock labels and the game hasn't been announced for PS4 at all.

Then there's the fact that Steam natively supports the Pro Controller:

07HTY4tMHBVgf5sX4cHPpoq-4..v_1569470611.jpg

Then there was this:

www.nintendoenthusiast.com

Red Dead Redemption 2 has Switch Pro Controller icon in its game files

Red Dead Redemption 2 texture game files have reportedly revealed a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller icon, but it probably doesn't mean what you're hoping.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is true. Hades, while announced just yesterday for Switch, has Switch button labels when you use a Pro Controller on PC. It also has DualShock labels and the game hasn't been announced for PS4 at all.

Then there's the fact that Steam natively supports the Pro Controller:

That's the reason I was waiting for Hades announcement any moment.

At the RDR2 reddit thread, there was a game dev who also put Switch controller input prompts in their Steam only game and got an e-mail from Nintendo requesting the removal of the picture and acknowledgement. Any picture of Nintendo owned controllers require Nintendo license, Nintendo doesn't license out their properties to games that are not on their platform (obviously, mobile is an exception).

I don't know if Sony has a similar rule but it seems they don't.