• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
vTeIqtN.jpg

I *just* updated the system, booted back up and this happened.

Is it REALLY dead? How is this even possible? It's a 200GB SanDisk.

I backed up some stuff to the cloud... but what? This happen to anyone else?

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
man I just got a new SD card a week ago but have not replaced my old one yet
hope it works with this update

OP
OP
Protodude

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
So it's a lost cause at this point, I guess? Should I just reformat and redownload everything from the cloud?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
This could very well be a dumb comment, but since you said you don't have the equipment on PC, does your phone have a micro SD slot? Someone tell me if that would even work to check, cause I don't know.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I have the same microSD card. I'll hold off on updating until it can be determined as an isolated incident or not. Yes, you can easily download all the updates and games again (since save files are safe on the internal), but monthly data caps are now a thing (at least in my state).

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is SanDisk. I've had cards from them fail over the years with go pro and phones. They're just not reliable.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
There is no save data lost. Saves are all on the switchs internal memory. Just format it and re download your games...if that doesn't work your SD card is broken

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
there is probably nothing you can do but format it.

from your thread title I thought your switch made your SDcard literally unusable for all time. like BROKEN broken.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Exact same thing happened to me. I've tried everything I can find to repair the card and it's just shot...

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got a 200GB, eager to try it out when I get home from work :D

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Was it formatted exfat? I've seen some reports of exfat cause corrupted microSD card.
Nintendo should fix the driver issue.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh i forgot to say: I've the 200GB sandisk and everything went fine..so it does not seem to "break" every 200GB card.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same memory card. Just updated and I'm fine. Booted up arena of valor if the SD card to make sure.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Reddit already has a thread on 6.0.1 update this is the first I've heard of it. Probably unlucky OP.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not broken, just corrupted as far as i can tell.
It happened once on my mod-switch, following a crash on retroarch, because the SDCard was not formatted on the proper fileformat (retroarch warns about which file format to use).
I've never seen of such a thing happening with a standard operation, even my main switch that crashes all the time in city skylines (when you go above 200K pop the game crashes a lot).
It sucks OP, i hope your sdcard is not on it's path to Hades (there's always the possibility of having a dud) :(

See if you can copy the data to a pc first. Then format it on switch and copy everything back to sd card.

Didn't work for my corrupted SDCard, the switch said the SD Card had been used on another switch and has to be reformatted when i backed up and wanted to restore manually.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Just updated it and it's fine on my end.

My specs:

NA
256GB MicroSD Sandisk card
Docked

Everything worked fine.

Maybe 200GB cards are the ones at risk?

OP
OP
Protodude

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
So I went to format it on the Switch, and the console said it's unable to format it. It's fried, I think. Won't be able to check on a PC till tomorrow.

If I have to replace it, what's the best possible brand I can go with?

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Sandisk is usually the go to brand. How long ago did you buy the card and where from? There are plenty of dodgy cards around.

Usually this type of thing may happen when you go over the real capacity on a dodgy card.

OP
OP
Protodude

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
Sandisk is usually the go to brand. How long ago did you buy the card and where from? There are plenty of dodgy cards around.

Usually this type of thing may happen when you go over the real capacity on a dodgy card.
Weird. Anyway, about six months ago from Amazon. New.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I went to format it on the Switch, and the console said it's unable to format it. It's fried, I think. Won't be able to check on a PC till tomorrow.

That sucks :(
Lexar professional is a great brand for my reflexes.
But to be honest i've never had problems on SanDisks, except that one crash on retroarch that corrupted the filesystem... even my old memory sticks still work...but your sandisk died on you... so i am not sure if you just had bad bad bad luck or just that microsdxc is so small that they are much more fragile. I have 4 sandisk microsdxc at the moment in use, because of sales, 32,64,200 and 400GB i hope they don't suffer the same fate as yours.

You may be able to repair it by formatting the filesystem on your PC, crossing fingers for you OP.
If i were you i would try the microsd on a phone to see if the filesystem is visible :)

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So here's a lesson for us... before installing new firmware, take out your SD cards

Oct 26, 2017
Mine was bought in-store at Best Buy. Did you by a legit Amazon-sold card, or was it from a 3rd-party seller at Amazon?

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ive got a fake from amazon before. Not a 3rd party seller but the main amazon seller. Always should check them on a pc (not sure about what apps on phones) when getting one.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The issue is SanDisk. I've had cards from them fail over the years with go pro and phones. They're just not reliable.

Definitely can't say I've had the same experience. I've been using them almost exclusively since 2007 or so in cameras, phones, and anything else I have that might need an SD card. Haven't hard a card fail on me yet.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
I think I'll remove my sd card before I update my Switch just to be sure that my games don't get fucked because I can't really be bothered waiting to download them all again lol.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I had the same issue as OP with an Samsung 64 GB Evo card. The card was corrupt, the funny thing was, it happend from day to another, still to this day, I don't know what it triggered.

Oct 26, 2017
So it's a lost cause at this point, I guess? Should I just reformat and redownload everything from the cloud?
Same thing happened to a friend of mine (also a 200gb card). It's most likely the card. The update itself probably has nothing to do with it crapping out. Seems micro SD can be very shoddy when it comes to Quality Control