• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's Japanese Switch news channel just posted the top 30 Downloadable games of 2017.
Currently working on the full list:

WW Top 30 Digital Only Switch Games 2017(that have launched in Japan):
Code:
1) Stardew Valley
2) Minecraft
3) Sonic Mania
4) Rocket League
5) Snipperclips
6) Overcooked
7) Shovel Knight
8) FAST RMX
9) Kamiko
10) Steam World Dig 2
11) VS. Super Mario Bros.
12) WonderBoy
13) Blaster Master Zero
14) NEOGEO Metal Slug 3
15) Enter the Gungeon
16) Oceanhorn
17) Mighty Gunvolt Burst
18) Arcade Archives Series Mario Bros
19) NEOGEO Metal Slug
20) Picross S
21) Thumper
22) Graveful Explosion Machine
23) NEOGEO King of Fighters 98
24) Mr Shifty
25) World of Goo
26) Brawlout
27) Human Fall Flat
28) UNO
30) Implosion: Never Lose Hope

In terms of the World Wide list it only shows games that are also selling in Japan, so titles that haven't been localized like Golf Story won't appear.

Top 30 Downloadable Games for Japan 2017:

Code:
1) Minecraft
2) Snipperclips
3) Senran Kagura
4) Kamiko
5) NEOGEO Metal Slug 3
6) Overcooked
7) NEOGEO King of Fighters 98
8) VS. Super Mario Bros.
9) Othello
10) Strikers 1945
11) Resident Evil: Revelations 2
12) VOEZ
13) Arcade Archives Series, Mario Bros
14) Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle
15) Human Resource Machine
16) New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
17) DEEMO
18) Shovel Knight
19) Picross S
20) Nazotoki Mail
21) NEOGEO MetalSlug
22) Sonic Mania
23) Romance Saga
24) Unholy Heights
25) Rocket League
26) Implosion: Never Lose Hope
27) Blaster Master Zero
28) Cat Quest
29) FlipWars
30) Levels+: Addictive Puzzle Game

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stardew Valley made bank holy cow. Above Minecraft in much less time on sale.

Can't comment on the game specifically since I haven't bought it but that's an insane amount of success.

Happy to see Rocket League up there too, that game will be a constant I feel.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
vs Super Mario Bros being 8th in Japan seems crazy considering when it came out

OP
OP
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vs Super Mario Bros being 8th in Japan seems crazy considering when it came out

The most impressive thing for Japan to me is the success of Overcooked, it came out in October and has been in the top 15(currently #9) since launching.
Those Japanese 3rd Partys missing out not having a few co-op games ready for the holidays and Western Indies filling in the void.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Glad for Stardew Valley too, but I'm waiting French localization (it was announced not so long ago) before buying.

OP
OP
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the World Wide list it only shows games that are also selling in Japan, so titles that haven't been localized like Golf Story won't appear.

Skeptical

Nov 20, 2017
#9 Kamiko above 160k as of Dec 29 (Thread)
#13 Blaster Master above 110k as of October
#17 Mighty Gunvolt Burst above 80k as of Dec 28 (Thread)

Wonder Boy is above 100k, but not listed here (not available in Japan?)

Just to put things into perspective. I'm surprised SWD2 is below Kamiko, although I suppose the strong sales being described were spread across all platforms.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish we had some numbers to go along with this. I cannot imagine some of those games near the bottom have sold well. World of Goo has been available on everything and is pretty old. Can't imagine too many people are buying that. Same with Uno.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Snipperclips sold 350,000 the first month. With those charts, Sonic could have sold over half million.

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
So just to be clear this list is obvious made up of titles that don't also have a retail release. e-shop only.

I don't think you can overstate kamiko's success. More than just being released early in the Switch's life, I think it's a testament to the fact that if a game with actual gameplay is sold at $5 that consumers will take notice.

And I think the principle in general has been forgotten. Does anyone remember when people were up in arms about games like Shadow Complex costing $20 as a downloadable title? Tons of early XBLA games were $5. It might be time to revisit this pricepoint on a larger scale.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I love seeing indies, dedicated indie Devs gain Cashflow on Nintendo... Switch. Some of these Devs deserve it. i also hope Nintendo continue to support the ambitious indie developers. On the steam market there's indies who doesn't deserve 2 cents for their work. As long as the Switch doesn't get those type of Devs then we all win.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Also, I thought SWD2 was ~300k on Switch (devs saying it sold 10x more on Switch than Steam), but with Kamiko above and that being at 160k, I'm confused. Regardless, good sales for most games there!
Wonder Boy is confirmed above 100k since December tho. (Same source up there)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I own Sonic Mania, FAST RMX, Kamiko, Enter the Gungeon, and Picross S.
Great seeing them on there.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Great to see Mania doing so well :) Hopefully SEGA will get the message and make actually good Sonic games from here on out LOL

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The better Revelations game in the top 30, and at a respectable spot, too! Raid is perfect on Switch. Here's hoping Capcom gives us some Mercs now, be it with RE4-6 or a new standalone Mercs game that builds upon the wonderful Mercs 3D.

Shame that MHXX didn't make the cut.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I own 10 of the games on the list, plus some that should be on here but weren't because they didn't come out in Japan.

Preble

Nov 7, 2017
Good to see so many third party games on here. Switch is giving them a chance to stand out.

If this were Wii U, it'd be dominated by Nintendo Virtual Console games.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Other numbers: Brawlout was over 50k as of January 2nd, Enter the Gungeon over 75k as of the end of December.
And SteamWorld Dig 2...I always assumed Sigurgeisson meant overall sales, not just the launch with the following statement

"SteamWorld Dig 2 has been our most successful launch to date. We've sold almost 10 times units on Switch as we have on Steam, so…go figure, the Switch is really, really popular it seems!"

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn Stardew. Good for them, just wish I liked the artstyle enough to buy it again on Switch.

Also lol at Senran Kagura.

Harknesss1712

Oct 28, 2017
Probably not the best place to ask but does someone know if Mr. Shifty ever got patched? I remember being it difficult to enjoy due to all the technical issues