• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to talk about this because I've seen many people say that the classic mini consoles will replace the Switch VC and that Switch VC isn't coming. I really don't think that will be the case at all.

Both have completely different appeals.

- The classic mini consoles are more targeted toward older lapsed gamers who might be not into gaming anymore but have nostalgia for the NES/SNES as they grew up with them. It also is a neat collectors item that is perfect as a holiday gift. I even remember Reggie describing the NES Classic as a "novelty item"

- Virtual Console allows for Nintendo fans to conveniently have decades of their favorite Nintendo software on Nintendo's current hardware, and allows those who own current Nintendo hardware for it's current games to also catch up on some titles they may have missed. It satisfies a completely different need in my opinion. Then there's the fact that Nintendo's current hardware is the Switch, which adds the portability factor for games that might have been console only.

I don't think the classic consoles and Switch virtual console would cannibalize eachother's sales at all. They both, to me, have completely different appeals. Personally, I don't really want a SNES classic but am dying for VC on Switch.

What I DO think affects the Virtual Console is the mysterious new online system. Hopefully we'll get more details on that in 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
The Classic systems are likely being used to test and develop emulators for the Switch.
NES games are confirmed to be coming next year in some capacity

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a recent interview where Reggie said that the Classics don't affect VC? Don't quote me on that, but I know I read something along those lines somewhere.

Either way, I don't think that it should affect VC anyway. There will always be people who get the Classics for being cheaper, for being a collector's item, and the fact that not everyone will own a Switch. And I'm sure like myself, plenty of Wii/Wii U owners have purchased a slew of VC games in the past yet still bought a NES/SNES Classic.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that I'm done buying virtual console games until I have faith my purchases will carry forward.

I'm not buying Super Mario Bros for a 5th time.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Unless they plan on making more with different games, not at all

They would be crazy to lock so few games behind a seasonal, limited hardware release. I think Nintendo is just waiting to launch it with their paid online and weird subscription service

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a safe bet to say that both the VC and classic collection will launch with the switch online service

People that sign up for the service will also get discounts on some VC games

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think "plug and play" type consoles would affect the eShop much. It's nice having everything in one place and not having to plug an extra console into the TV. Plus, they're much more limited than choosing which games to buy on the eShop.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to say that the fans that bought an NES/SNES mini, are pretty likely to buy a game AGAIN when it comes to the Switch in the form of VC.

If you have fond memories of X platform or game, getting the classic console makes sense just as a thing to have. But people want to play those games on Switch, I think

shepcommandr

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mini's are a more compelling item, and almost certainly a better source of revenue for Nintendo. I've always sort of assumed that VC didn't make Nintendo a ton of money. If it did, I'd think it would be a bigger focus, or at least big enough to include at launch.
Something is coming to Switch, at some point. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo goes back to the traditional VC format, or just expand upon the subscription model they're using with the online service value adds.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think old VC is dead because of the minis. We will have a worse version of Virtual Console with less games just like My Nintendo is a worse version of Club Nintendo.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The markets for both are very different. The games available on the classic consoles don't really matter that much - hit all the right boxes and no one will really complain. They're nostalgia products - capture the look and feel of the original consoles and games, and they'll sell. I don't see the mini consoles affectinng Switch VC at all.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but I own an SNES mini and an SNES, and a ton of VC on 3DS.

And I STILL want VC on switch, bring it on and certain titles I will buy every time.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
I know we'll never find out, but I would love to know what the sale figures were for VC games across the Wii/WiiU/3DS and how profitable they proved to be overall in relation to the costs of preparing them for emulation.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I sure hope not. Really want N64 and Gamecube games on the go.
Without Smash immediately on the horizon, this seems like the obvious functionality of Switch being patched to work with the GCN controller adapter.

With Xbox and PS2 games being brought forward with enhancements, Cube games would be nice. The portability factor would also help make up for what I assume would be less improvements than what MS and Sony can do for their older libraries.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
The SNES Classic sated my appetite for classic games for at least a while. I can do without the Switch until the VC situation is sorted out.