• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Summary

• 2.35 million consoles sold across Europe and Australia
  • The biggest market for console sales last month was the UK, followed by France.
  • Digital Growth 41% , Physical Down by 2.9% Overall
  • Digital Share YOY - France up by 85%, Italy up by 90% and Uk up by 78%
  • PS4 digital game sales rose 40.8% year-on-year, but physical game sales are down 13.3%. Switch physical game sales are down 7.4%, (due to Pokemon)
  • Overall game sales in November was the UK, which was up 31.9% over last year, followed by Germany (up 23.5%) and then France (down 0.5%).

2.35 million games consoles were sold across Europe and Australia during November 2020, the latest GSD market data has revealed.

That's a 32% increase over November 2019. In terms of revenue, games consoles - which includes the newly released PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X and S - generated €830 million, which is up 83.5% over last year.

It must be noted that the new Xbox and PlayStation consoles completely sold out across all markets, and will have sold even better if more stock had been available.
The biggest market for console sales last month was the UK, followed by France.
The data for this report is for the period November 2nd - November 29th, 2020. It covers the retail territories listed at the bottom of the article.

GSD November Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical)

1 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
2 Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
3 FIFA 21 (EA)
4 Spider-Man Miles Morales (Sony)
5 Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
6 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Take-Two)
7 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
8 Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Nintendo)*
9 Watch Dogs: Legion (Ubisoft)
10 Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)*
11 Just Dance 2021 (Ubisoft)
12 Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)*
13 Football Manager 2021 (Sega)
14 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Take-Two)
15 Minecraft: Switch Edition (Mojang)
16 The Last of Us: Part 2 (Sony)
17 Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)*
18 NBA 2K21 (Take-Two)
19 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
20 God of War (Sony)
*Digital data not available

GSD November Top 10 Video Games (Digital)

3 FIFA 21 (EA)
4 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Take-Two)
5 Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
6 Football Manager 2021 (Sega)
7 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
8 Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 5 (Bandai Namco)
9 Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)
10 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Take-Two)
GSD November Top 10 Video Games (Physical)

1 Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
2 FIFA 21 (EA)
3 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
4 Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
5 Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)
6 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)
7 Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Nintendo)
8 Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)
9 Just Dance 2021 (Ubisoft)
10 Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)

www.gamesindustry.biz

PS5 makes its mark but Nintendo Switch holds No.1 in huge November for video games | EMEAA Charts

2.35 million games consoles were sold across Europe and Australia during November 2020, the latest GSD market data has …

Last edited:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo probably wishing they'd just forced Gamefreak to have another Pokemon game ready this year. Imagine what the sales could have been like if they'd done that.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and Nintendo are killing it in Europe.
And that's without any huge exclusive title.
What ? Like 99% of Switch top sellers are huge exclusive titles.

PS. I get what you mean, but this kind of take always irks me...as if people would buy the system without any games.

Weirdly disappointing that it was flat.
Not really considering two new systems launched and the fact they werent too aggressive with pricing or bundles. The fact that they stayed flat is impressive. November 2019 was a VERY strong Switch month.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Sony and Nintendo are killing it in Europe.

What ? Like 99% of Switch top sellers are huge exclusive titles.

PS. I get what you mean, but this kind of take always irks me...as if people would buy the system without any games.
I mean new huge console sellers like what the title said. Last year they had Pokemon, this year they had Pikmin and Hyrule Warriors.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly disappointing that it was flat.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the US, but my thought all along has been that COVID had a pull effect where you had a lot of people who may have bought at the end of the year ended up getting it earlier. So you couldn't just apply the same YOY multiplier as in earlier months.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean new huge console sellers like what the title said. Last year they had Pokemon, this year they had Pikmin and Hyrule Warriors.
As stated i understand what you meant - doesnt make that statement true though. It has alot of big exclusives and they are mostly new for whoever picks up the Switch for the first time this year.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Switch down YoY!?

Nintendo är dömd
Nintendo ist zum Scheitern verurteilt
Nintendo est condamné
Nintendo está condenado
Nintendo è condannata
Nintendo jest skazane na zagładę
Nintendo er dømt
Nintendo on tuomittu
Η Nintendo είναι καταδικασμένη
Nintendo is gedoemd
Nintendo je ztraceno
A Nintendo halálra van ítélve

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Considering they did like 10 different dubs for it despite having a lot of dialogues and characters, I'd consider Age of Calamity a huge release. At least for them.
Me too. I loved it, but was it going to sell more than 10 million in a month? no. There's big , then there's Pokemon big. That's what the analyst meant.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Me too. I loved it, but was it going to sell more than 10 million in a month? no. There's big , then there's Pokemon big. That's what the analyst meant.
Hmm, you might have a point in that this game it's not so much a console seller like Pokémon but instead something that can latch on existing users that loved botw. The WiiU userbase without a Switch is pretty tiny nowadays after all. I do think it'll sell more than many expect, though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here are the EMEAA GSD charts for November:

GSD November Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical)

Position Title
3 FIFA 21 (EA)
4 Spider-Man Miles Morales (Sony)
5 Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
6 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Take-Two)
7 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
8 Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Nintendo)*
9 Watch Dogs: Legion (Ubisoft)
10 Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)*
11 Just Dance 2021 (Ubisoft)
12 Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)*
13 Football Manager 2021 (Sega)
14 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Take-Two)
15 Minecraft: Switch Edition (Mojang)
16 The Last of Us: Part 2 (Sony)
17 Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)*
18 NBA 2K21 (Take-Two)
19 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
20 God of War (Sony)
*Digital data not available

GSD November Top 10 Video Games (Digital)

3 FIFA 21 (EA)
4 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Take-Two)
5 Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
6 Football Manager 2021 (Sega)
7 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
8 Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 5 (Bandai Namco)
9 Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)
10 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Take-Two)

1 Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
2 FIFA 21 (EA)
3 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
4 Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
5 Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)
6 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)
7 Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Nintendo)
8 Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)
9 Just Dance 2021 (Ubisoft)
10 Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)[/CODE]

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I had a feeling this would happen due to PS5 supply in those regions, coupled with Switch's amazing momentum. What I didn't expect is for it to be down YoY, albeit slightly.

Only thing I can really take away from this is that they're both looking to have killer holidays.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you do have to remember that the Switch comparison point is "new Pokemon launch month". With all due respect to Omega Team, Hyrule Warriors is not remotely close to Pokemon. The fact that Switch sales was basically flat compared to new Pokemon launch month is phenomenal.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Switch momentum is just crazy across the world. I think this will finish in the top 3 of videogame hardware sales of all time

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Both Switch and PS5 are extremely impressive.
The first because it was pretty much flat YOY despite no Pokemon and the second because it goes sold out immediatly despite a very high amount of stock.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a feeling this would happen due to PS5 supply in those regions, coupled with Switch's amazing momentum. What I didn't expect is for it to be down YoY, albeit slightly.

Only thing I can really take away from this is that they're both looking to have killer holidays.
Both Switch and PS5 are extremely impressive.
The first because it was pretty much flat YOY despite no Pokemon and the second because it goes sold out immediatly despite a very high amount of stock.

Yeah, its mentioned in the article

It must be noted that the new Xbox and PlayStation consoles completely sold out across all markets, and will have sold even better if more stock had been available.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Posted something similar in the Media Create thread, but...

I had no idea Switch was KILLING it like this.

(I literally just bought one for my daughters for their Christmas here in the US)

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

Yes
And considering last year Pokémon launch I even expected it to be flat ToY in EU
I think december willl be up YoY again

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
They had a massive deals in Nov

200 Euro for Switch bundle with 3 months nso and mario kart ?
First time I am hearing about such a bundle. There was an Animal Crossing Switch Lite bundle for 200 euros in Germany but it was only available at certain retailers for a few days. Besides that no "massive" deals.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Switch isn't as front loaded as Wii was, but it will be significantly more successful.

I pimped out their system with a protective cover (with the controller "handle bumps" to make it more comfortable), a tempered glass screen protector, a carrying case, thumbstick covers, and bought them Yoshi's Crafted World and Animal Crossing.

Went ahead and created Nintendo accounts and set everything up on it. Then packaged it back up. 😄

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pimped out their system with a protective cover (with the controller "handle bumps" to make it more comfortable), a tempered glass screen protector, a carrying case, thumbstick covers, and bought them Yoshi's Crafted World and Animal Crossing.

Went ahead and created Nintendo accounts and set everything up on it. Then packaged it back up. 😄
Smart on you to get the accounts set up before they open it! That's always a frustrating experience on Christmas morning. The servers will be hammered.