• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cengizhan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
So I was looking into the release schedule for the Nintendo Switch and I noticed something peculiar: A lot of the Nintendo Switch games that are going to be released this year are very similar to games that were released for Nintendo 3DS in its third year.

seY97Lk.jpg

This prompted me to look a little bit more into the lessons Nintendo learned. Maybe we will learn a thing or two from that as well.

Nintendo 3DS was not selling well after its launch in overseas markets. Nintendo made a drastic price cut in 2011 soon after the launch to boost the system into the holiday season. What was interesting is that they claimed it was a momentum problem. Let's take a short look at the timeline of how that went.

Reggie Fils-Aime said:
This is a momentum driven business. When you have momentum, it can work in your favor. When you don't have momentum, it can be a really tough situation. For us, this is all about making sure we have strong momentum for Nintendo 3DS.
(source.)

Reggie admitted in this interview that Nintendo 3DS had a momentum problem and that they tried to address it with this price cut. Later on, they tried sustaining momentum by releasing New Super Mario Bros. 2 and the Nintendo 3DS XL in 2012. However, this was not enough to keep the momentum going.

Although we simultaneously released Nintendo 3DS XL and "New Super Mario Bros. 2" last summer, we were not able to sustain that momentum until the year-end sales season was in full swing and turn Nintendo 3DS into a leading force in the overseas markets.
(source.)

Soon after Nintendo presented their battle plan to accelerate momentum in the overseas markets with a list of games that is very similar to the list of Nintendo Switch games that are slated for release this year.

Satoru Iwata said:
We will be able to seamlessly release our key titles throughout the year, so we are confident that we will be able to accelerate the momentum of the Nintendo 3DS platform in the overseas markets as well.

10l.jpg

(source.)

Interestingly, Nintendo did not only announce these titles, but also an "entry-level gaming system" along with the newest core Pokémon RPG. Keep in mind that generally, new models of existing hardware have been introduced around the release of a core Pokémon RPG in the past with Nintendo 3DS:
  • Pokémon X/Y and Nintendo 2DS
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and New Nintendo 3DS (XL)
  • Pokémon UltraSun/UltraMoon and New Nintendo 2DS XL
With all these similarities, could that mean the rumored new model will be a budget version of the Nintendo Switch? Or does the Nintendo 3DS family still count as their entry-level systems, since they are still supporting the system with new games?

Satoru Iwata said:
This year, as I just explained to you, we are going to head into November, the month when the year-end sales season truly begins, with great momentum that has been created by the release of "Pokémon X/Pokémon Y" on October 12. In addition, existing titles such as "Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon," "Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D," "Animal Crossing: New Leaf" and "Mario & Luigi: Dream Team" still maintain sufficient momentum, while the latest installment in the "The Legend of Zelda" series is set to be released for Nintendo 3DS in November. With such a strong lineup of key games in place for the year-end sales season, we aim to achieve great results towards the end of this calendar year.

A product that is expected to play a significant role in achieving this goal is Nintendo 2DS, which we have just launched in the U.S. and Europe on October 12 along with the Pokémon title. Given the highly appreciated yen at the time when the original Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL were launched as well as the high manufacturing costs of the Nintendo 3DS hardware which incorporated various features, we were not able to provide a competitive price point for an entry-level gaming system.
(source.)

Their tactics to sustain momentum in 2012/2013 worked very well and are extremely similar to the ones they are using this year. It's really interesting to see what Nintendo has learned from their previous missteps and to see how they implemented it on their current console that already has such strong momentum. Looking at the image above, do you expect any other titles that fit in this list? Or could we even predict the launch month of new titles by looking at this?

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That means Shin Megami Tensei V needs to come out this year and complete the set

Oct 27, 2017
After essentially not using my Switch at all in 2018, I have to say, I am super excited for 2019. Adding onto the one's above there's also Yoshi and Daemon x Machina, and what I assume are some titles that have yet to be announced.

Got to wonder though when everything is coming out since Q1 2019 just started and all we have planned for this time period is New Super Mario Bros. I think we might see a schedule along these lines:

May: Yoshi
June: Daemon x Machina
July: Fire Emblem Three Houses (I know they announced it for Q2 2019, but I don't see it happening)
August: Luigi's Mansion 3
September: Animal Crossing
October: Pokemon Gen 8
November: Something we haven't heard of or a surprise release of either Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really perceptive! I don't have a whole lot to add, but the parallels are intriguing.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
there definitely seems like there are parallels i just hope there's enough innovation within the releases to warrant them. animal crossing in particular.

i do wish they'd port some of the 3DS games to the switch to fill in some release schedule gaps though...things like Metroid Samus returns. i think that would help push the platform and even move swathes of people across from the 3DS. because support for that system seems to be drying up.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth noting that the difference here being that Switch has momentum already where the 3DS didn't. Weirdly enough I think the games themselves have more to gain from this than the Switch, especially in a post Pocket Camp/FE Heroes world.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
2017 was about showing off that the Switch is the WiiU successor - highlighting big console games like Zelda and Splatoon 2.
2019 will be about highlighting that Switch is the 3DS successor in terms of releases of big portable series combined with a streamlined revision and a price drop.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there definitely seems like there are parallels i just hope there's enough innovation within the releases to warrant them. animal crossing in particular.

i do wish they'd port some of the 3DS games to the switch to fill in some release schedule gaps though...things like Metroid Samus returns. i think that would help push the platform and even move swathes of people across from the 3DS. because support for that system seems to be drying up.

why would ports of games already available on 3DS push people from the 3DS towards the Switch? that seems, no offense, really dumb

new entries in successful 3DS series, like Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon is the way to go not porting games the audience already has access to

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I generally see City Folk as the only iteration of Animal Crossing that you could argue it didn't differentiate itself enough from the games that preceded it. After the near-complete rethinking of the series with New Leaf, I have no doubt that the Switch entry won't be a lackluster update.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
May: Yoshi
June: Daemon x Machina
July: Fire Emblem Three Houses (I know they announced it for Q2 2019, but I don't see it happening)
August: Luigi's Mansion 3
September: Animal Crossing
October: Pokemon Gen 8
November: Something we haven't heard of or a surprise release of either Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4

Probably put luigis mansion as the november game? Halloween and it's quite frankly a better game to position near the holidays for bigger sales than Bayonetta or Prime 4 (keeping in mind that Luigis mansion 2 outsold all 3 prime games combined).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why would ports of games already available on 3DS push people from the 3DS towards the Switch? that seems, no offense, really dumb

new entries in successful 3DS series, like Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon is the way to go not porting games the audience already has access to
The OP is all about how they are doing new entries in series that were successful on 3DS, and says nothing about porting games from 3DS. Who are you responding to?
Edit: NVM, I see what happened.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
2019 is the first year where the unified development will really kick in.

It will surpass 3DS 2013 in term of output imo.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

because it theoretically creates a one stop shop for nintendo content and solidifies the switch as their primary handheld device (something they're clearly moving towards anyway given the drop in output for the 3DS)

or alternatively, draws in people who never had a 3DS but want to play it's games on their switch.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that Nintendo 3DS 3rd year lineup was totally HOT. Crazy that the Switch's might be even better.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not Nintendo, but they did heavily market it:

2013 3DS:

Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV.jpg

2019 (Maybeeee??? Unlikely IMO) Switch:

Shin_Megami_Tensei_V.png

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking into the release schedule for the Nintendo Switch and I noticed something peculiar: A lot of the Nintendo Switch games that are going to be released this year are very similar to games that were released for Nintendo 3DS in its third year.

seY97Lk.jpg

NSMB2 came out in July/August 2012, the second year.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because it theoretically creates a one stop shop for nintendo content and solidifies the switch as their primary handheld device (something they're clearly moving towards anyway given the drop in output for the 3DS)

or alternatively, draws in people who never had a 3DS but want to play it's games on their switch.

hence why it would be more important for them to develop new entries in popular series on 3DS like they are doing and is highlighted in the OP. you liked Luigi's Mansion 2? well here's the sequel! you liked Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates? here's the next Fire Emblem! you liked Animal Crossing New Leaf? here's the next Animal Crossing?

porting over 3DS games would be cool for people who didn't own a 3DS or missed those games but your logic of using 3DS ports to get 3DS owners to buy a Switch is not very well thought out

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

seY97Lk.jpg

This prompted me to look a little bit more into the lessons Nintendo learned. Maybe we will learn a thing or two from that as well.

Nintendo 3DS was not selling well after its launch in overseas markets. Nintendo made a drastic price cut in 2011 soon after the launch to boost the system into the holiday season. What was interesting is that they claimed it was a momentum problem. Let's take a short look at the timeline of how that went.

Reggie admitted in this interview that Nintendo 3DS had a momentum problem and that they tried to address it with this price cut. Later on, they tried sustaining momentum by releasing New Super Mario Bros. 2 and the Nintendo 3DS XL in 2012. However, this was not enough to keep the momentum going.

Soon after Nintendo presented their battle plan to accelerate momentum in the overseas markets with a list of games that is very similar to the list of Nintendo Switch games that are slated for release this year.

Interestingly, Nintendo did not only announce these titles, but also an "entry-level gaming system" along with the newest core Pokémon RPG. Keep in mind that generally, new models of existing hardware have been introduced around the release of a core Pokémon RPG in the past with Nintendo 3DS:
  • Pokémon X/Y and Nintendo 2DS
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and New Nintendo 3DS (XL)
  • Pokémon UltraSun/UltraMoon and New Nintendo 2DS XL
With all these similarities, could that mean the rumored new model will be a budget version of the Nintendo Switch? Or does the Nintendo 3DS family still count as their entry-level systems, since they are still supporting the system with new games?

Their tactics to sustain momentum in 2012/2013 worked very well and are extremely similar to the ones they are using this year. It's really interesting to see what Nintendo has learned from their previous missteps and to see how they implemented it on their current console that already has such strong momentum. Looking at the image above, do you expect any other titles that fit in this list? Or could we even predict the launch month of new titles by looking at this?
How well did this lineup maintain momentum for the 3DS that year though? Reading between the lines of what Reggie said, it seems not so well until the holiday season? Or is he talking about the period before this lineup came? (not that I think the Switch will behave the same, as it is definitely on a roll)

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
So we get new Ace Attorney, Mario & Luigi and Tomodachi Life game too?

I was so sure that Ace Attorney 7 would have been announced last year.. but 2019 must be the year of the announcement of the new entry, which probably will be multi-platform (maybe it's the reason they're taking their time developing it)

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

?

New Super Mario Bros. 2 was released in 2012, during 3DS second year, alongside 3DS XL.

Fire Emblem was also a 2012 game in Japan. Animal Crossing too.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, that comparison pic in the OP got me hype. I forgot how great that year was. Maybe cause I abandoned my 3DS a couple years after that.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't it by hype as fuck if we got Fire Emblem in February? I know it is probably impossible but I would be so happy.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
NIntendo's 2011 3DS showing at E3 was nothing short of legendary. Just wall-to-wall great games.

Direct before Directs :)

I was so sure that Ace Attorney 7 would have been announced last year.. but 2019 must be the year of the announcement of the new entry, which probably will be multi-platform (maybe it's the reason they're taking their time developing it)
It's gotta be coming sooner than later.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
A sequel to 2013DS is really exciting indeed.
This year it's the 30th anniversary of the Mother series, you know what this mean?! nothing

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
3DS in 2013 is one of the greatest years any console has had in terms of games. Pokemon XY, Fire Emblem Awakening, Ace Attorney Dual Destinies, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Luigis Mansion 2, Rune Factory IV, Zelda Link Between Worlds.

Hot damn.

OP
OP
Cengizhan

Cengizhan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
NSMB2 came out in July/August 2012, the second year.

That's true. However, since it was such an important title for the momentum of the 3DS specifically and since it was released just before its third year, I decided to include it. But please feel free to make a more elaborate version of my image!

How well did this lineup maintain momentum for the 3DS that year though? Reading between the lines of what Reggie said, it seems not so well until the holiday season? Or is he talking about the period before this lineup came? (not that I think the Switch will behave the same, as it is definitely on a roll)

He's talking about the period before the lineup came.

?

New Super Mario Bros. 2 was released in 2012, during 3DS second year, alongside 3DS XL.

Fire Emblem was also a 2012 game in Japan. Animal Crossing too.

This was about the overseas market specifically. Don't forget there is a more recent recent trend of simultaneous releases.

Oct 29, 2017
This is is what I've been saying for ages (ignoring NSMB 2/Udx, because NSMB2 actually came out in 2012). Nintendo are purposely trying to replicate their worldwide 2013 release strategy with Switch's 2019 lineup.

They also already have almost enough first party games to be able to release at least one first party game per month for the whole year; the same strategy as what they employed back in 2013.

NSMBUdx
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing Switch
Daemon X Machina
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
Pokemon Gen 8
Yoshi's Crafted World

(Not counting Bayonetta 3 and MP4 because the former is very likely to slip into 2020, while the latter has no chance of coming out this year)

The year hasn't even started yet and they'd only have to announce 4 more games to hit that target!

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I do wish they'd port some of the 3DS games to the switch to fill in some release schedule gaps though...things like Metroid Samus returns. i think that would help push the platform and even move swathes of people across from the 3DS. because support for that system seems to be drying up.

The 3DS metroid ported to Switch would be a dream come true for me! Any of the metroid games, really. I will also accept Prime 4 :)

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Clearly the Persona 5 Switch port will replace the expected SMT release for this year :^).

They did say we would get more info soon, but the release is a ways off unfortunately.