• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm personally fine with the EXP share always being on, so long as the game difficulty is balanced with that in mind.

That said, I don't see what was wrong with the system they had before - on by default, with the ability to turn it off? The Pokemon community has long embraced challenge runs of various flavours and while this is minor, it's still a downgrade.

The whole 'just stick your Pokemon in the PC' bit comes off as condescending and dismissive as well, and is symptomatic of Gamefreak's inability to communicate with their fanbase without sounding distressingly out-of-touch.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, because pausing the game after you are done with one pokemon, micro-managing your Pokemon PC Box and searching for the pokemon team member you want to use is so much simpler system than an On/Off option.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say one thing, not having to box your Pokémon at a center and being able to do that at anytime does alleviate that prospect at least.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Always better to have options, i'm happy with the change but it would be better to have a toggle*.

*Which is easier said than done. Depends on priorities.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
No Gamefreak that is not a solution (and to something that wasn't even a problem). I want to carry my team of 6 with me at all times and switch out during battles rather than be forced to use just 1. And you cant even use the pc box in gyms and elite 4 unless I'm mistaken.
People want "The Option" to turn exp share off to make up for the lack of a hardmode, something every other JRPG has added to their games since over 20 years ago.

what current RPG titles have the ability to turn shared party EXP off right now?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they had data that the option wasn't used much to begin with and figured the convenience of it would outweigh whatever issues that would crop up because of it. Especially as having a common standard for EXP distribution would allow easier balancing.

It seems like they didn't think it would be that big of a deal and honest I'm still shocked people are viewing this as a big deal to begin with

Nov 15, 2018
The game can never be balanced around exp share. If you encounter low level pokemon, you're overleveled. If you encounter high level pokemon, your pokemon will get more exp which means you will become overleveled. It's a system that puts you above the level of opponents and then a never ending loop that prevents the level gap from ever closing.

Not only that but it's designed to be beaten by 5 year olds. Pokemon fans are now in their 20s and 30s, they won't have the same difficult experience as the kids. This one difficulty idea that only Gamefreak does will never be balanced.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You have an issue with that post but not by the other post? Amazing.

What makes you think I don't have a problem with that post? Hostile generalizations don't help the discourse is my point.

but you're not even making the game difficult by doing that...

you're just taking extra steps for no reason

Having EXP Share on at all times makes your Pokemon higher leveled. By taking it off your Pokemon will be lower leveled and you will have a bit more challenge. This is how people played all of the games before XY came out.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally fine with the EXP share always being on, so long as the game difficulty is balanced with that in mind.

That said, I don't see what was wrong with the system they had before - on by default, with the ability to turn it off? The Pokemon community has long embraced challenge runs of various flavours and while this is minor, it's still a downgrade.

The whole 'just stick your Pokemon in the PC' bit comes off as condescending and dismissive as well, and is symptomatic of Gamefreak's inability to communicate with their fanbase without sounding distressingly out-of-touch.
Just wanna say, this is a great example of good, productive criticism against the game and the company.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
We all know it won't be.

It's going to be beyond easy to just catch a few decent Pokemon and steamroll everything in sight. They can't even be bothered to make simple changes like giving most random trainers more than 2 Pokemon at a time, at most, they'll make the level curve a tiny bit steeper, but that won't accomplish shit.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
what current RPG titles have the ability to turn shared party EXP off right now?
Dragon Quest XI. Which if anything is kind of the exception that proves the rule especially as it's lumped in with options like making basic enemies stronger or having NPCs giving misleading advice. DQXI treats it as an extra burden to make the game more exciting for hardcore players not necessarily a difficulty option

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
but you're not even making the game difficult by doing that...

you're just taking extra steps for no reason
You're making the game difficult by your team not all gaining exp from every battle. It keeps your team from leveling too fast and making the game significantly easier.

To put it another way, if a particular battle grants 500 exp, without exp share you're getting 500 exp. With exp share you're getting 3000 exp across 6 Pokemon.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if they think the game is better by having it xp share on, sure whatever. But like did they really need to REMOVE the ability to turn it off? Feels super extra

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
No Gamefreak that is not a solution (and to something that wasn't even a problem). I want to carry my team of 6 with me at all times and switch out during battles rather than be forced to use just 1. And you cant even use the pc box in gyms and elite 4 unless I'm mistaken.
People want "The Option" to turn exp share off to make up for the lack of a hardmode, something every other JRPG has added to their games since over 20 years ago.

Wait. Pretty much every jrpg ever the entire party gets the exp at the same time.

Partly because they're not 1x1 combat games in most cases. But even in recent Digimon and SMT games (To cite games "similar" to pokémon), the creatures in the party that didn't got into the battle gets exp.

It's pretty much only Pokémon that had the option to turn the exp share before ShSw. In any other game in the genre i can remember, exp share was always a staple.

Edit: Okay, i misinterpreted your post lol

You meant every recent jrpg had hard mode, i thought you were talking about toggling the exp share off. :p

You could balance the games with EXP share in mind but let the people who insist on no EXP Share have their way. I believe that's what Sun and Moon did, but I skipped Gen 7. Gen 6 definitely felt too easy with the EXP share on.

Any balance that would make different players with a big difference lvs at the same part will make the game too easy or too hard for a group of players. And Game Freak will always choose too make the game easy rather than hard to not frustrate younger people whose the series theorically targets.

Then super hardcore internet forum dwellers hate how easy the games are.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We all know it won't be.

It's going to be beyond easy to just catch a few decent Pokemon and steamroll everything in sight. They can't even be bothered to make simple changes like giving most random trainers more than 2 Pokemon at a time, at most, they'll make the level curve a tiny bit steeper, but that won't accomplish shit.
So uh the same as in every other Pokemon game then. I can't think of a game in the mainline series where sticking with one super powered Pokemon doesn't help unless it's a major gauntlet like the Elite Four which is the only time the games have actually provided a roadblock for people doing that

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Seems like they had data that the option wasn't used much to begin with and figured the convenience of it would outweigh whatever issues that would crop up because of it. Especially as having a common standard for EXP distribution would allow easier balancing.

It seems like they didn't think it would be that big of a deal and honest I'm still shocked people are viewing this as a big deal to begin with
Because they've literally NEVER balanced for exp share. There's no reason to believe they know how. In all the games that it's been on by default but toggleable, the game feels like every other Pokemon game if you turn it off but if you leave it on then you end up seriously overleveled.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Dragon Quest XI. Which if anything is kind of the exception that proves the rule especially as it's lumped in with options like making basic enemies stronger or having NPCs giving misleading advice. DQXI treats it as an extra burden to make the game more exciting for hardcore players not necessarily a difficulty option

So is it common in other titles or not?

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
What makes you think I don't have a problem with that post? Hostile generalizations don't help the discourse is my point.

Having EXP Share on at all times makes your Pokemon higher leveled. By taking it off your Pokemon will be lower leveled and you will have a bit more challenge. This is how people played all of the games before XY came out.

I know that. I've played them all. Its not even about challenge more so than grinding the pokemon that didn't get leveled up which is inconvenient not difficult.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's harder to balance a combat when one part of the playerbase uses exp share and the another doesn't. They would probably put the games on the easier side as prevention.

With everyone getting exp share, balancing would be a lot more tight and maybe even more challenging.

Choices aren't necessarily always good in game design.
This would be a perfectly acceptable answer if I actually thought Game Freak were capable of properly balancing a Pokemon game.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We all know it won't be.

They should bring back hard mode.

And not do the monkey's paw thing of implementing it as a post-game unlockable in one version of the game.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I know that. I've played them all. Its not even about challenge more so than grinding the pokemon that didn't get leveled up which is inconvenient not difficult.

I never grind in Pokemon games except maybe a little bit at the end of Victory Road before the Elite Four. If you're grinding excessively in Pokemon games, you're doing something wrong.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
This is a massive pain in the ass. I'm basically not gonna be able to add any new Pokémon to my team late, and I don't trust them to have balanced the game well around this

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Good post, and I agree completely.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If you need to grind, then you should be playing with Exp Share on. The people playing with it off want to be underleveled for more challenge.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we already have this thread like a month ago which already had this explanation? Are we really so desperate to have "fuck gamefreak threads" that we're recycling old topics?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Wait. Pretty much every jrpg ever the entire party gets the exp at the same time.

Partly because they're not 1x1 combat games in most cases. But even in recent Digimon and SMT games (To cite games "similar" to pokémon), the creatures in the party that didn't got into the battle gets exp.

It's pretty much only Pokémon that had the option to turn the exp share before ShSw. In any other game in the genre i can remember, exp share was always a staple.
Yeah, Pokemon's leveling system before the modernized EXP Share in Gen 6 was out of the norm and kind of annoying to be honest.
Any balance that would make different players with a big difference lvs at the same part will make the game too easy or too hard for a group of players. And Game Freak will always choose too make the game easy rather than hard to not frustrate younger people whose the series theorically targets.

Then super hardcore internet forum dwellers hate how easy the games are.
Let the people who want to have their excessive grinding have it. Just include a warning before deactivating the EXP Share feature that it will mess with the balancing and make the game harder and more grindy.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Having the game be balanced around EXP share and having the option to toggle it off aren't mutually exclusive (like having Shift vs. Set option in the menu) and the workaround described in the OP doesn't seem like as seamless an alternative as a simple on/off.

The discussions about grinding and whether or not other RPGs do this seems extraneous.

Didn't we already have this thread like a month ago which already had this explanation? Are we really so desperate to have "fuck gamefreak threads" that we're recycling old topics?

No, they verified you can't turn it off but I don't think the explanation of swapping Pokemon in the PC was given before.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because they've literally NEVER balanced for exp share. There's no reason to believe they know how. In all the games that it's been on by default but toggleable, the game feels like every other Pokemon game if you turn it off but if you leave it on then you end up seriously overleveled.
Likewise this is the only game that actually has it be mandatory. Unlike previous games balancing EXP distribution with EXP Share is needed to make sure the game isn't braindead easy.

I don't expect SwSh to be the most difficult Pokemon game but I'm also not expecting it to be and be more in line with other titles which even then the easier Pokemon titles are only marginally so and same with with the harder titles.