• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Antoo

May 1, 2019

Gamefreak found out most people had it on and they said for those who don't they found a way to still cater to those people:

"Those who have it turned off want to train one specific Pokemon. We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC."

I guess having access to the PC easily now is good I guess? Still more complicated then just having a damn button to turn it off in the menus but ok.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
The simplest solution is to have it on by default and an option to turn it off. It's just obtuse doing anything else.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Lazy dev rhetoric
dont sugar coat it, just say it you didnt feel like doing the extra programming and balancing

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

Gamefreak found out most people had it on and they said for those who don't they found a way to still cater to those people:

"Those who have it turned off want to train one specific Pokemon. We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC."

I guess having access to the PC easily now is good I guess? Still more complicated then just having a damn button to turn it off in the menus but ok.
I can believe that but its bullshit considering they turned it on for you by default

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC."
Thats really underlooking how a lot of people play the main quest with a full six pokemon with it off to encourage switching out more often and not overleveling.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If the difficulty curve is balanced with the EXP Share is a given, I don't see the need for turning it off, but the option should be there for those who want to

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
"Most people weren't using this option so we took it away from players."

Groan. The PC method doesn't work for swapping out different Pokemon to level up in the same battle either.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That answer tells me they don't actually understand why someone would want to turn xp share off. They have no idea why people like their games do they?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like fine rationale. I'm good with whatever at this point, just excited to play!

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
resetera.gif

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
"We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC."

... Or it could be a toggle in the options menu.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
That is basically the same stupid reasoning they used for no Battle Frontier in ORAS.
Q:Why wasn't the Battle Frontier in the remakes?
A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
"Here at Gamefreak we like to look at why people like to have options and then come up with bullshit reasons to take said options away from them because we can"

Fuck off.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As long as the game is balanced to match the constant Exp. Share, I'm fine with this. I almost always kept it on anyway, it made the games less annoying and grindy.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That's not the real answer. The real answer from the original interview is that the "vasy majority of players play with the Exp Share on. For the small minority that doesn't, they can just deposit their Pokémon on the PC"

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019
That's not the real answer. The real answer from the original interview is that the "vasy majority of players play with the Exp Share on. For the small minority that doesn't, they can just deposit their Pokémon on the PC"
I did say that in the OP. I then listed the rationale the director gave for what they did to compensate for those who liked it off.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's harder to balance a combat when one part of the playerbase uses exp share and the another doesn't. They would probably put the games on the easier side as prevention.

With everyone getting exp share, balancing would be a lot more tight and maybe even more challenging.

Choices aren't necessarily always good in game design.

Nov 15, 2018
No Gamefreak that is not a solution (and to something that wasn't even a problem). I want to carry my team of 6 with me at all times and switch out during battles rather than be forced to use just 1. And you cant even use the pc box in gyms and elite 4 unless I'm mistaken.
People want "The Option" to turn exp share off to make up for the lack of a hardmode, something every other JRPG has added to their games since over 20 years ago.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's harder to balance a combat when one part of the playerbase uses exp share and the another doesn't. They would probably put the games on the easier side as prevention.

With everyone getting exp share, balancing would be a lot more tight and maybe even more challenging.

You could balance the games with EXP share in mind but let the people who insist on no EXP Share have their way. I believe that's what Sun and Moon did, but I skipped Gen 7. Gen 6 definitely felt too easy with the EXP share on.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
No Gamefreak that is not a solution (and to something that wasn't even a problem). I want to carry my team of 6 with me at all times and switch out during battles rather than be forced to use just 1. And you cant even use the pc box in gyms and elite 4 unless I'm mistaken.
People want "The Option" to turn exp share off to make up for the lack of a hardmode, something every other JRPG has added to their games since over 20 years ago.

I play a lot of JRPG and I'm going to need to see a list of "every other" JRPG that offers this option.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon keeps failing upward. Stupid. Waiting for their Bethesda moment where it finally comes back to bite them in the ass.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Lame ass reasoning. All I wanted was the option to toggle it. Like fuck, why should you have to go through the process of boxing Pokemon if you want to specifically train one? A simple button press.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a half-assed, embarrassing response. I've been disappointed in the mishandling of the franchise for a long time, but this is the first time I've felt any animosity towards them about it.
This is a non-issue.
Crazy idea, but I bet some people disagree with you. Wouldn't that make it an issue for them if not for you? Why would you post something like this?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

This is some bullshit.

All they have to do is balance the game around EXP Share and if the people who don't use it struggle, fine, they can grind or have a hard time with the game. That's their choice, and maybe they didn't use EXP Share because they fucking wanted it to be that way.

Instead, there are no choices at all, and spoiler alert: the game is 100% guaranteed to be piss easy no matter what, and the forced EXP Share only makes it harder for people to eek out whatever semblance of challenge the game has to offer.