• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Source

It seems that not only Pokemon but many, many, many moves are gone.

The thing is it seems when you can actually import Pokemon via Home from past games they actually have the move still, but the description straight up says it can't be used and recommends to delete it.

This isn't just Let's Go moves (though they're gone) but key moves like Pursuit, Return, and Hidden Power.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
That list is...far longer than I anticipated. False Swipe is still in, thankfully.

Last edited:

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Many of those seem to be Z-attacks, Partner-specific attacks (Let´s Go) or Pokèmon specific attacks (presumably from Pokémon that got cut anyway).

But, cue the outrage, i guess.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For a game I'm probably never going to play, it has provided a bunch of entertainment.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Many of those seem to be Z-attacks or Pokèmon specific attacks (presumably from Pokémon that got cut anyway).
There are also many staple moves that have seemingly been cut for no reason. Hidden Power, Pursuit, Return, Frustration, and so on. Also signature moves from Pokemon that actually made it in were cut for some reason.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Is it... really a big deal? I can understand why people may be upset about cut Pokémon (hey, my boy Luxio ain't in and I'm grieving but I'll get over it) but it's not like I have emotional bounds to Rage or Karate Chop... Is it really really a bad thing?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it... really a big deal? I can understand why people may be upset about cut Pokémon (hey, my boy Luxio ain't in and I'm grieving but I'll get over it) but it's not like I have emotional bounds to Rage or Karate Chop... Is it really really a bad thing?
Some of these moves are quite a big deal.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I thought this would just be a handful...

Holy shit, it's a lot...

I can't believe they removed Hidden Power. Do you have any idea how much time I've spent breeding for Hidden Power? Or resetting for legendaries? There are a huge number of Pokémon that rely on Hidden Power for coverage

Hidden Power needed an overhaul, but removal? Kill me.

No Return basically eliminates the biggest reason to use a Normal type Pokémon, unless it's been replaced with another perfectly accurate high BP move.

Pursuit just eliminated like 30% of the meta, lol.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If the moves are ones with notable functional value like Pursuit, absolutely.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
THEY TOOK OUT KARATE CHOP?!

I'm bizarrely fond of that one. Not enough to really care, but enough to be confused as to why.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Hidden Power is huge. As is Feint Attack and the evasion/type nullifying attacks like Miracle Eye and Foresight.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Still kind of miffed about pokemon cuts but ehhh....losing moves doesn't really bother me that much to be honest.

Last edited:

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
There are also many staple moves that have seemingly been cut for no reason. Hidden Power, Pursuit, Return, Frustration, and so on. Also signature moves from Pokemon that actually made it in were cut for some reason.

There seem to be about 77 moves without Lets Go and Z-attacks (but including mon-specific attacks) that got cut. We don't know the reason. There sure are some we may never learn. Looking at the relation to the overall number of moves i don't think this is a big deal. I just think it'd be sad if this creates a new outrage wave at GameFreak in a unneccessary hurtful way.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Fucking hell most of the coolest moves are on that list. A bunch of shit too but some are a kick in the teeth.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Karate Chop is legit like...the bread and butter move of Sawk, the Karate Pokemon, who is in the game.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
why couldn't they have just done a damn reboot, drop this pokemon home shit and accept that it's time to start fresh

commit, damn it! next gen ought to be a genuine fresh start

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Many of those seem to be Z-attacks, Partner-specific attacks (Let´s Go) or Pokèmon specific attacks (presumably from Pokémon that got cut anyway).

But, cue the outrage, i guess.
Hidden Power is an important coverage move that many Pokemon rely on to diversify their not great special move spread
Pursuit is a counter to a bunch of Pokemon and is an important move
Return is a powerful, reliable Normal type STAB move
Many Pokemon who are in the game lost their signature moves

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

It's not about the moves. It's about every aspect of this game's development. They've made cuts everywhere. That isn't what people want to see going into the first HD generation.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
If Magnemite and Probobass are not in, do you really need magnet bomb, f.ex.?

Same with Exeggutor / Chansey and egg bomb.

I think the list should be closer examined before making any conclusion.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Hidden Power, Pursuit, and Return are huge cuts that definitely hurt some competitive Pokemon. Hell Return is one of the go to moves a lot of people teach their starter. The rest are not that major, with a lot of them being Z-moves. Game Freak never really streamlined Hidden Power or even explained it so instead of doing that it got the snap.

Also my Sceptile I've had since Pokemon Sapphire still knows Return #JUSTICEFORSCEPTILE

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following this one too closely; does Sword and Shield still refuse a ton of animations between attacks? Cut Pokemon are sad, but they're totally understandable because each one demands all of the minimum animation. Moves have thus far had a standardized visual effect, pulled an animation from the Pokemon that probably wasn't unique, and then did some relatively simple math/programming stuff.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I haven't been following this one too closely; does Sword and Shield still refuse a ton of animations between attacks? Cut Pokemon are sad, but they're totally understandable because each one demands all of the minimum animation. Moves have thus far had a standardized visual effect, pulled an animation from the Pokemon that probably wasn't unique, and then did some relatively simple math/programming stuff.
Basically every animation in the game is recycled: moves, characters, pokemon...