• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
PMtBZjM.png

Japanese staff:
Director: Manabu Ono
(Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Saki, The Asterisk War)
Music: Yuki Kajiura
Original creator: Reki Kawahara

Character Design:
Gou Suzuki
Shingo Adachi
Tomoya Nishiguchi

Art Director:
Yoshito Watanabe
Yukako Ogawa

Art Design:
Kenichi Morioka
Yuuho Taniuchi

Action Animation Director:
Tetsuya Takeuchi
Yoshihiro Kanno

Theme Song Performance:
LiSA is performing the opening theme song "Adamas"

https://youtu.be/MMuAqR_MjS8

Eir Aoi is performing the ending theme song "Iris"

Japanese Cast:
Haruka Tomatsu as Asuna Yūki
Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Kazuto Kirigaya/Kirito
Ai Kayano as Alice Zuberg
Nobunaga Shimazaki as Eugeo
Japanese companies
Animation Productio

Streaming Info: (will be updated further later)
Time:
Sundays (12:00am JPN):

Services:
Crunchyroll/Funimation(NA/SA/EU)
AnimeLab (Australia and New Zealand)
Wakanim.tv (France)

Mal Link:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36474/Sword_Art_Online__Alicization

UZZ5Z9g.gif

What is Sword Art Online:
Sword Art Online is a Japanese light novel series written by Reki Kawahara and illustrated by abec. The series takes place in the near future and focuses on protagonist Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya and Asuna Yuuki as they play through various virtual reality MMORPG worlds. The light novels began publication on ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Bunko imprint from April 10, 2009, with a spin-off series launching in October 2012. The series has spawned eight manga adaptations published by ASCII Media Works and Kadokawa. The novels and four of the manga adaptations have been licensed for release in North America by Yen Press.
An anime television series produced by A-1 Pictures, known simply as Sword Art Online, aired in Japan between July and December 2012, with television film Sword Art Online: Extra Edition airing on December 31, 2013, and a second season, titled Sword Art Online II, airing between July and December 2014. An animated film titled Sword Art Online The Movie: Ordinal Scale featuring an original story by Kawahara premiered in Japan and Southeast Asia on February 18, 2017, and was released in the United States on March 9, 2017. A spin-off anime series titled Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online premiered in April 2018, while a third season titled Sword Art Online: Alicization will premiere on October 6, 2018. A live-action series will be produced by Netflix. Six video games based on the series have been released for multiple consoles.

Plot so far (anime season 1&2 <obvious spoilers>)
n 2022, a virtual reality massively multiplayer online role-playing game (VRMMORPG) called Sword Art Online (SAO) is released. With the NerveGear, a helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds. Both the game and the NerveGear was created by Akihiko Kayaba.
On November 6, 10,000 players log into the SAO's mainframe cyberspace for the first time, only to discover that they are unable to log out. Kayaba appears and tells the players that they must beat all 100 floors of Aincrad, a steel castle which is the setting of SAO, if they wish to be free. Those who suffer in-game deaths or forcibly remove the NerveGear out-of-game will suffer real-life deaths.
One of the players, named Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya, is one of 1,000 testers in the game's previous closed beta. With the advantage of previous VR gaming experience and a drive to protect other beta testers from discrimination, he isolates himself from the greater groups and plays the game alone, bearing the mantle of "beater", a portmanteau of "beta tester" and "cheater". As the players progress through the game Kirito eventually befriends a young girl named Asuna Yuuki, forming a relationship with and later marrying her in-game. After the duo discover the identity of Kayaba's secret ID, who was playing as the leader of the guild Asuna joined in, they confront and destroy him, freeing themselves and the other players from the game.
In the real world, Kazuto discovers that 300 SAO players, including Asuna, remain trapped in their NerveGear. As he goes to the hospital to see Asuna, he meets Shouzou Yuuki, Asuna's father, who is asked by an associate of his, Nobuyuki Sugou, to make a decision, which Sugou later reveals to be his marriage with Asuna, angering Kazuto. Several months later, he is informed by Agil, another SAO survivor, that a figure similar to Asuna was spotted on "The World Tree" in another VRMMORPG cyberspace called Alfheim Online (ALO). Assisted in-game by his cousin Suguha "Leafa" Kirigaya and Yui, a navigation pixie (originally an AI from SAO), he quickly learns that the trapped players in ALO are part of a plan conceived by Sugou to perform illegal experiments on their minds. The goal is to create the perfect mind-control for financial gain and to subjugate Asuna, whom he intends to marry in the real world, to assume control of her family's corporation. Kirito eventually stops the experiment and rescues the remaining 300 SAO players, foiling Sugou's plans. Before leaving ALO to see Asuna, Kayaba, who has uploaded his mind to the Internet using an experimental and destructively high-power version of NerveGear at the cost of his life, entrusts Kirito with The Seed – a package program designed to create virtual worlds. Kazuto eventually reunites with Asuna in the real world and The Seed is released onto the Internet, reviving Aincrad as other VRMMORPGs begin to thrive.
Soon after, at the prompting of a government official investigating strange occurrences in VR, Kazuto takes on a job to investigate a series of murders involving another VRMMORPG called Gun Gale Online (GGO), the AmuSphere (the successor of the NerveGear), and a player called Death Gun. Aided by a female player named Shino "Sinon" Asada, he participates in a gunfight tournament called the Bullet of Bullets (BoB) and discovers the truth behind the murders, which originated with a player who participated in a player-killing guild in SAO. Through his and Sinon's efforts, two suspects are captured, though the third suspect, Johnny Black, escapes

Season 1&2 can be watched here:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/sword-art-online?utm_source=android&utm_campaign=socialshare

Story Synopsis (Alicization Arc):
93ZXK1M.png

Where…am I…?" Before he knows it, Kirito has made a full-dive into an epic, fantasy-like virtual world. With only a murky recollection of what happened right before he logged in, he starts to wander around, searching for clues. He comes upon an enormous, pitch dark tree (the Gigas Cedar), where he encounters a boy. "My name is Eugeo. Nice to meet you, Kirito." Although he is supposedly a resident of the virtual world - an NPC - the boy shows the same array of emotions as any human being. As Kirito bonds with Eugeo, he continues to search for a way to log out of this world. Meanwhile, he remembers a certain memory deep down within him. He remembers racing through the mountains with Eugeo as a child… A memory that he should not have in the first place... And in this memory, he sees someone other than Eugeo, a young blond girl. Her name is Alice. And it is a name that must never be forgotten…

- The anime will cover the entirety of the novels' "Alicization Arc." The Alicization arc is in volumes 9 through 18 of the original novel series

Main Character Info:
Kazuto Kirigaya "Kirito"
a.k.a "The Master Gary Stu"
5Zm7f7K.jpg

SAO History:
Kirito is the protagonist of Sword Art Online. He is a "solo" player, a player who hasn't joined a guild and usually works alone. He is also one of the very few people to have had the privilege to play in the beta testing period of Sword Art Online. His game alias, Kirito, is created by taking the syllables of the first and last Kanji of his real last and first names respectively: (Kirigaya Kazuto). In the real world, he lives with his aunt and younger cousin in a family of 3.
When Kayaba announced the start of the death game, he is surprised, but unlike everyone else, he quickly gets over it and accepts it to an extent. He invited his friend Klein to go with him but Klein had to find his friends in the game. He was invited to join them but he declined as he couldn't take the pressure of protecting them even with his beta testing knowledge of the game.
Kirito tends to use a single handed straight sword. The blade that he uses most often is the Elucidator. Later on, he acquires a second blade called Dark Repulser that was made by his blacksmith friend, Lisbeth.
He was the first one to be called a Beater, a combination of beta testing and cheater, as he had great knowledge of the game through the beta test period and showing great skills in floor clearing but chose not to help other players. He had it imposed on himself so as to differentiate the beta testers who were just picked in the testing and the serious gamers who use the knowledge efficiently like a cheat.
He has a unique skill called "Dual Blades" which allows him to dual wield two swords and use Swords Skills. It's the special skill designed for the Hero that defeats the Demon Lord at the last floor. He found it in his skills list after a year in the game. After nearly mastering it, he only uses it in emergencies to avoid attention for being one of the few people to have a unique skill.
He befriends a girl by the name of Yuuki Asuna who later becomes his lover.

Asuna Yuuki
T2abDaP.jpg

SAO History:
Asuna is a friend of Kirito and is a sub-leader of the guild Knights of the Blood (KoB), a medium-sized guild of about thirty players, also called the strongest guild in Aincrad. Being one of the few girls that are in SAO, and even more so that she's extremely pretty, she receives many invitations and proposals. She is a skilled player earning the title "Flash" for her extraordinary sword skill that is lightning fast. Her game alias is the same as her real world name.
She is married to Kirito in SAO. They decide to live a peaceful life and to buy a house on the lower part of Aincrad and take a break from the guild Knights of the Blood Oath. But later they need to return to the front lines, abandoning their peaceful life.
After the SAO incident, all the players that survived should have awoken, but Asuna is still trapped within her NerveGear. She is actually abducted by her betrothed, Sugou Naboyuki, who transfers her to Alfheim Online (ALO).
In ALO, She is known as Queen Titania, yet she is only a character who is trapped within a cage that is programmed to be a unbreakable object. She was rescued by Kirito who became a Game Master by accessing Heathcliff's account, and defeated Sugou. Kirito logged Asuna off from ALO and rejoins her in the hospital after he ended his fight with Sugou in the real world.

Alice Zuberg
Y3kTiHX.jpg

The heroine of the fourth arc, "Project Alicization." Alice is a childhood friend of Kirito and Eugeo, and is also from Rulid Village. The rest is spoilers, so….

Eugeo:
gPjOnqh.jpg

Eugeo is a wood cutter of Rulid Village and Kirito's best friend in the beginning. Kirito was then unheard of when their friend Alice was taken away; however, upon Kirito's return to Underworld, in which he has no memory, Eugeo is the first person Kirito (as Kazuto), encountered upon awakening.

Media:
Premier Video:

PV#2:

Thread Rules and Notes:
#1) If your sole purpose is to come into the thread and $hit-post, please do not:
jDAfTO6.gif

Put it away for the MAL or Reddit anime boards where that is encouraged

#2) Like it or hate it, feel free to react any way you want, just don't get flagged and tagged for the favorite tag line here "Disingenuous Posting." If you have any questions, please refer to rule #1
#3) There is no need to spoiler tag events from the first two seasons of SAO, or anything currently airing on the show. If you have read the Light Novels past what is airing that week, please post in spoilers, or just do not post it outside of PMs to avoid any issues.
#4) Be respectful, not everyone hates Kirito as much as you. (refer to #1)
#5) Hopefully this is good! Either way, let's have FUN with it!

BInLGPv.jpg

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it an honest try now that Kirito has a cute boyfriend.
Not expecting I last the whole season, but I'll try

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hype!
BTW, your image under Story Synopsis is from Hollow Realization and doesn't actually occur in Alicization.

Iro

Nov 28, 2017
Should I first finish the light novel? Last volumes I read ware GGO and a couple of chapters of Alicization. I kind of remember season 1 to be a nice adaptation, are we expecting the same for this one?

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Welp... This goes past the books I've read so I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this series. Going to be an interesting ride.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
I have read the first 3 volumes of Alicization, and there's plenty of interesting stuff inside. I'be been waiting on the adaptation for years. I obviously won't spoil details, but the plot really blur the limit between Human and AI.

I only watched Season 1. Can I still watch this?

If you read what the OP has written in the GunGale Online plot (specifically the part about one of the vilain still on the loose), and with the GGO details that the first episode will wihout a doubt include, you should have no issue.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for this, I read the books up to this arc but stopped...I didn't even realize that it was getting another season (I should've probably guessed)

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
For those familiar with the material, how does this arc stack up against the others? Good? Bad? Worse? Different?

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Seems like a bajilion other Shounen protagonists to me. What makes this one so famous? Or perhaps infamous...?

Anime "purists" HATE SAO because of Kirito and because if how insanely popular the show became with casual audiences.

SAO prints money at this point, lol

That's pretty much it lol. It's honestly just a meme at this point.

Lol, pretty much

lol nooooooooo

I'm sure my post from whenever ago is still valid. :p

I'll have to look that up again for fun

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've got a baaaaad feeling about this

Can't wait to see another train wreck season of sao. Hopefully we get another great assault face by the end of this season.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
"Asada-san! Asada-san! Asada-san!" is my anime Vietnam. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard and been so disturbed at the same time. So ridiculous.

The arc after that with the sword girl was pretty good though.

I'm ready for the next horrible ride!

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I like SAO and people have been hyping this arc for years so it's time to see if it delivers.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this show will be running until September 2019. I'm enjoying the ride so far. That was a great first episode.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, they get right into it, don't they. What an ep ending. Well, I was already down for this whole arc, but I'm certainly fully onboard now.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a bajilion other Shounen protagonists to me. What makes this one so famous? Or perhaps infamous...?
The first few episodes of the series tricked you into thinking he wasn't. After that it was seven episodes of denial, and then acceptance at the end of the first arc.

I really just skimmed the series after the fairy dance arc. I noticed Yuuki in the voice credits in the OP. Did she not die of super-AIDS at the end of the last season?

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I might be in the minority but I feel like Sword art online alternative GGO > SAO original...

Hope that gets a second season

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That was a great start. Really good production values and really good pacing so far. Based on the Yen Press translation, they've adapted almost half the first volume so far (44%) without really missing anything. Rather, the whole GGO sequence is totally original to the show and wasn't even in the novels so they did it with room to spare. At this rate they could do all of Alicization in two cours. lol The OP was really cool, both in terms of visuals and audio, though it's strange what they focused on. Also the random Fatal Bullet cameo was random.
Prologue is over, next week the real story starts! Hype!

I really just skimmed the series after the fairy dance arc. I noticed Yuuki in the voice credits in the OP. Did she not die of super-AIDS at the end of the last season?

Asuna's family name is Yuuki.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed the first half quite a lot. Will be interesting where it goes.

Oct 27, 2017
That was a great start. Really good production values and really good pacing so far. Based on the Yen Press translation, they've adapted almost half the first volume so far (44%) without really missing anything. Rather, the whole GGO sequence is totally original to the show and wasn't even in the novels so they did it with room to spare. At this rate they could do all of Alicization in two cours. lol The OP was really cool, both in terms of visuals and audio, though it's strange what they focused on. Also the random Fatal Bullet cameo was random.
Prologue is over, next week the real story starts! Hype!

Asuna's family name is Yuuki.
D'oh. I feel silly.
I might be in the minority but I feel like Sword art online alternative GGO > SAO original...

Hope that gets a second season
Is there any more material to work with? I hope so, Llenn and Fuka were great.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
First half was nice, second half halted to a grinding stop. The ending was exciting though.